Where can I get Exactoscale products? - Answer = C&L Finescale!

martin_wynne

• RMweb Gold

Just to clarify for anybody who wants to use Exactoscale checkrail chairs for bridge or level crossing applications in '00-SF'these are the ones that I used.

4CH 403A 4mm scale P4 check chair 0.8 mm flangeway

Hi John,

If you use these chairs, please, please, please, do not call it 00-SF. If it works for you, fine. But it's NOT 00-SF. It won't work for everyone and it will just cause the sort of utter confusion that bedevils the rest of the 00 gauge standards.

This is 00-SF (EM minus 2.0mm):

Track gauge 16.2mm min.

Check gauge 15.2mm.

Flangeway 1.0mm

Check span 14.2mm max.

If you use something else it is not 00-SF.

0.8mm flangeways on 16.2mm track gauge will give a check span of 14.6mm. That's more than most RTR wheel back-to-backs and they will bind or jam.

regards,

Martin.

• RMweb Gold

Sorry Martin. Point taken.

Of course you are correct in what you've said. I should've posted that the use of these chairs happen to work for me with my particular application.

Confusion in a much debated topic must be avoided at all costs. There is enough around without adding to it!

Just to clarify for anybody who wants to use Exactoscale checkrail chairs for bridge or level crossing applications in '00-SF'these are the ones that I used.

4CH 403A 4mm scale P4 check chair 0.8 mm flangeway

The 0.68 mm earlier variety which we used on Matford (for P4 this time) which caused problems both with actually getting them to slide on to the rail and stock running on the curve!.

Anyway, as far as the straight bridge checkrail on the '00-SF' roundy-roundy being built ATM it has worked with a couple of 'newish' Bach and Hornby locos randomly chosen.

John

On the Exactoscale site the following is shown

4CH 402A 4mm scale P4 check chair 0.68mm flangeway, ABS (100)   icon_pdf.gif 6.00 4CH 403A 4mm scale check chair 0.8mm flangeway, ABS (100)   icon_pdf.gif

To date I have had no problems using the 0.68mm slide chair for P4 as I check rail gauges for the initial fitting of the stock rail and  check the gauge once the solvent has dried and gauges been removed.

As a guess on tighter radii where gauge widening occurs, the extra 0.12 mm gap may help keeping the check rail in the right place, but allow the widening of the gauge on the stock rail.

Len did tell me I needed the 402A chair for P4 even though I had bought the other earlier, and yes they are a bit stiff to fit

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Three bits of great news re C&L and Exactoscale

1 Peter is now well and looks to be back to normal

2 C&L and Exactoscale are at the Watford Finescale show this weekend with plenty of Exactoscale track parts as well as the usual C&L and Carrs items

3 Len Newman will be on the stand all day today (16th Saturday), and is said to be in good health as well.

Both have been together for the first half of the week back in Bristol going through the products.

I am certain both Peter and Len will like to thank those who have wished them well over the past few weeks, and dont forget there are plenty of great layouts and traders who will be at the show including Lime Street in all its glory

• RMweb Gold

C&L have announced today that they are no longer stocking the Timber Tracks bases:

http://www.finescale.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=42&Itemid=72

Not a surprise -- Brian Lewis announced on his own site before Christmas that he would now be the sole supplier for his Timber Tracks products.

It's not a great loss because the rationale for the timber bases always escaped me -- significant extra cost and wasted material compared with sticking individual timbers on the templates; more difficult to curve and customize to site; a mismatch to some of the templates; and no time saving at all when you consider the time and care needed to trim out the connecting webs afterwards.

http://www.timbertracks.co.uk

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/finescale/message/1003

Martin.

edit: links added

I was just wondering if c&l will think of making the ready made point kits in flatbottom rail with the timber sleepers? Only asking because that has been the standard since just after BR came into being (look at photos of steam locos, and most of the time the main lines will have been relayed with flatbottom rail). When I talked to him at the birmingham show he said he would not be doing these as the ready made frog wasnt as strong as the bullhead rail version.

It should not too difficult to build a common crossing in flatbottom rail, as you have a flat surface to solder to. In P4 you may have to file the flat bottom part of the wing rail where it touches the Vee. The stock rails would have to have the flatbottom part filed back where the end of the switch rail touches it.

I spoke to Len about building flat bottom rail turnouts, and was told I needed Pandrol fixings as the ST chairs were used for plain track (happy to be corrected if I am wrong as I have a few ST fixings). Peco do Pandrol fixings but I am told they are overscale

I use the C+L 0.6mm copperclad strip to hold the common crossing together. I guess you could use a piece of nickle silver filed back to the rail sides covering the 3 central timbers of the crossing.

As for timber sleepers, looks like Peter has to find a new supplier. Exactoscale I think used a different source for their ones

I spoke to Len about building flat bottom rail turnouts, and was told I needed Pandrol fixings as the ST chairs were used for plain track (happy to be corrected if I am wrong as I have a few ST fixings).

Depends on the period when your track was supposed to be built, plenty of photos to look at. Pandrol fixings were not used on turnouts before they were used on plain track, earlier versions of FB rail fixings from lockspikes onward were used on turnouts prior to Pandrol becoming the standard.

However relaying of the pointwork was not often in synch with the plain line so different vintages of fixings could occur in any area, but only the ones that had been introduced by that date.  The Pandrol was patented in Norway in 1957, and IIRC it was the mid 60's before it becoame common in the UK.

Keith

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

The rail components would all be the same for both, except for shortening the closure rails and stock rails (which could easily be left to the user).

The chair mouldings would be all the same for both, with a few more plain chairs needed for EM.

The timbering bases would have to be different (and the template of course).

The stretcher bars / tiebar would be different.

Note that the above applies equally to 00-SF* and DOGA-Fine*, but the timbering base would be different for each. I'm not sure if Len (as a P4 modeller) is aware of the difference between the two, or Pete (as a 7mm modeller). C&L's inherited existing 00 turnout kits are for DOGA-Fine, so they have a decision to make there. They may even want to go to 00-BF / DOGA-Intermediate, but in that case the crossings (frogs) would not be interchangeable with EM.

News on this today, see: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/69145-attention-00-sf-track-builders/

Martin.

• 4 months later...

Archived