Another Quickie

mikemeg

So the last of my "I'll buy that and rebuild it sometime in the future" models has been taken down from the shelf, dusted off and brought into the workshop.

Like the Jubilee, in another thread, this was one of those buys which was too good to miss and is, at least for me, about as good as r-t-r gets and this is fabulous.

I can't remember what I paid for this but a lot less than £100. It's livery is perfect for a mid-1950 layout, though this could well have been outshopped in BR blue by then (have to get someone to check Yeadon's Register). Either way it's BR apple green livery and its identity will be retained.

The plan, with this one, is to use the Brassmaster's EasiChas, which will minimise the extent of the rebuild, allowing the original motor and gearing to be retained. I do intend to utilise all of the optional detailing on the EasiChas etches.

As with the Jubilee, this will be very much a fill in project, so might not move amazingly quickly; might, in fact, move amazingly slowly.

So, let's start the thread with a photo of the start point; one of the best r-t-r models anyone could ever hope to see.

Cheers

Mike

post-3150-0-48988200-1348228597.jpg

Mid-50s? Unlikely, all were blue before the end of 1951 as I recall. Will check Yeadon and RCTS when I get home. 60114 was definitely blue by 1950. However it's a moot point; I agree, the A1s are excellent models. The two dark green A1s I recently sold have been replaced by two of the W.P. Allens to become unnamed 60115 and 60116.

One thing I would reccommend is replacing the Bachmann chimney with one of Graeme King's resin stovepipe chimneys. You will never look back after this simple modification. The Bachmann chimneys on the A1s are awful, the only thing which looks out of place.

Looking forward to seeing your work on this one.

Looking forward very much to see how you get along with the 'FlexChas' mod Mike, although I think you mean EasyChas. I presume you're also getting the P4 wheelsets? Just the other day I asked Brassmasters for one for an A3 I have… the extra detailing fret included also looks superb.

Mid-50s? Unlikely, all were blue before the end of 1951 as I recall. Will check Yeadon and RCTS when I get home. 60114 was definitely blue by 1950. However it's a moot point; I agree, the A1s are excellent models. The two dark green A1s I recently sold have been replaced by two of the W.P. Allens to become unnamed 60115 and 60116.

One thing I would reccommend is replacing the Bachmann chimney with one of Graeme King's resin stovepipe chimneys. You will never look back after this simple modification. The Bachmann chimneys on the A1s are awful, the only thing which looks out of place.

Looking forward to seeing your work on this one.

My mistake, I'm afraid. My layout is set June 1950, not mid 1950's as I originally typed. That said, I think that even by June 1950, many of the A1's (and 60114 may well be one) would have sported the BR blue livery.

Many thanks for the tip on the chimney and I will certainly do that.

Cheers

Mike

PS Do you remember haranguing me for having a go at the Bachmann O4's chassis? Well, you were right to harangue me, though I'd still replace it, but only because I model to P4. But it's hard to criticise (and I wouldn't want to) any of the current r-t-r offerings, they are just superb!

Looking forward very much to see how you get along with the 'FlexChas' mod Mike, although I think you mean EasyChas. I presume you're also getting the P4 wheelsets? Just the other day I asked Brassmasters for one for an A3 I have… the extra detailing fret included also looks superb.

Thanks for the correction (posts amended). I do mean EasiChas. Yes I will be getting the P4 wheelsets and will also use the replacement motion parts from the EasiChas etches.

Cheers

Mike

PS Do you remember haranguing me for having a go at the Bachmann O4's chassis? Well, you were right to harangue me, though I'd still replace it, but only because I model to P4.

I don't, but that was probably in my younger days on the forum and I'd like to think I've improved from those days...! (Apologies if I offended back then)

June 1950 sounds perfect - some were still in apple green according to my notes, though much weathered no doubt.

Mike, when you come over to mine next, hopefully on Saturday 6th when Tim's up, you can have a look through my books and see if we can find one that is somewhat appealing to you. With a riveted tender it would have to be one of Doncaster's A1s 60114-60126 as all subsequent A1s by Doncaster were Blue.

Cheers

.....Do you remember haranguing me for having a go at the Bachmann O4's chassis? Well, you were right to harangue me, though I'd still replace it, but only because I model to P4. ....

I'd replace the footplate as well. The widened section over the cylinders goes on for too long.

Don't fancy using Dave Bradwell's A1 chassis then? If I were doing a P4 a1, that would be my starting point.

Obviously, I can't speak for Mike but I don't think I'd attempt a Bradwell chassis kit with (my) little experience, beautiful though it looks. I'd imagine it's a hell of a lot more involving and for the experienced only. Nevertheless, judging from the pics on Brassmasters' website, the EasiChas, including pony truck and replacement motion bits, appears easy enough to assemble and looks good enough to my untrained eye, even close-up. It appears to be a great way to begin the crossover from rtr to kit-building.

Only Doncaster Apple Green A1's left in June 1950 were

60115 repainted that month,60117,60119 repainted that month ,60124,60125,60126,

Only 60114 was named in Apple Green Livery on 10/48 to Blue 11/49.

None of the darlington builds were named in Apple Green

Info RCTS 2a

Don't fancy using Dave Bradwell's A1 chassis then? If I were doing a P4 a1, that would be my starting point.

It wouldn't be mine. I am part way through his J39 chassis and whilst the etches look beautiful they are not straight forward to build. In many ways they are not properly finished and are unnecessarily complicated in some critical areas. I would agree they are not suitable for a beginner or someone with limited etch kit building expereince.Just as well I like a challenge. The jidenco kit I built of an F5 was better.

I have done (almost completed) a Dave Bradwell kit for the Bachmann B1, which is a very accomplished piece of design and etching, and I test build Arthur Kimber's NorthEastern kits so I don't feel that lack of experience is an issue, or would deter me from the Dave Bradwell A1 chassis kit.

However, I remember talking to John Brighton, now a number of years ago, when he had just had the idea for the EasiChas and had worked up a prototype for it. John is no mean model loco builder and his view on the then new Bachmann A1 was that this set a new standard in r-t-r models and was thus worth using as a basis for an EM or P4 model. Since then Hornby have matched or even bettered the Peppercorn A1 with their own Gresley A1's, A3's and A4's.

So, quite simply, if the EasiChas has John Brighton's endorsement then that's all the stamp of approval that is needed for me. Also, this approach should be much quicker and should be cheaper.

Cheers

Mike

It wouldn't be mine. I am part way through his J39 chassis and whilst the etches look beautiful they are not straight forward to build. In many ways they are not properly finished and are unnecessarily complicated; in some critical areas. I would agree they are not suitable for a beginner or someone with limited etch kit building expereince.... The jidenco kit I built of an F5 was better.

Wow, so you're saying that a Bradwell kit is crap because it's complex?

Wow, so you're saying that a Bradwell kit is crap because it's complex?

No that is not what I am saying. I am saying that providing etched parts that then need to be filed to shape when thay could be etched that way is unnecessary. The instructions are vague and the diagrams stop short of being completely useful rather than partially. This leaves you guessing at the final positioning of some items. The method of fixing the exactosacle hornblocks is not well thought out and makes getting them square unnecessarily difficult, Having said that it did run without need for fettling.

Archived