Warley 2012

bbishop

I have just waded through 23 pages, mainly of feuding....
I must be reading a different forum thread. From what I've read, posts come in the following types:
  1. Saw some great layouts
  2. Met some of the usual suspects and caught up with things
  3. Did some shopping/spent far too much (as usual)
  4. Nice show, but X and Y would make it better

Agreed there were a few posts "stirring it up", but barely a handful in my impression. A discussion of (for example) the pros and cons of self contained layout lighting is hardly feuding.....

• RMweb Premium

I had 6 boards of Lancaster Green Ayre there and though I did take some stock and a transformer, plus some croccodile clips we didn't run a single train all weekend as Dave and I were so busy explaining things about the layout and how it is being built to visitors. I thought that Balloch Pier was there as a 'layout under construction' and liked it though I didn't get chance to talk to any of the crew. Personally I think that the public like to see how layouts are made and part built ones, with the appropriate displays and explanations ahve a part to play. I thoroughly enjoyed the weekend but found that explaining for 9 hours is more tiring than operating a layout. All in all the show was very good and as usual superbly organised.

Jamie.

I have just waded through 23 pages, mainly of feuding. The absence of same was why I used to love this forum.

Fueding ? Where?

Like iL Dottore, I must be reading another thread because I can't see any feuding or arguing going on, certainly not from posts made during and after the show.

• RMweb Gold

I had 6 boards of Lancaster Green Ayre there and though I did take some stock and a transformer, plus some croccodile clips we didn't run a single train all weekend as Dave and I were so busy explaining things about the layout and how it is being built to visitors. I thought that Balloch Pier was there as a 'layout under construction' and liked it though I didn't get chance to talk to any of the crew. Personally I think that the public like to see how layouts are made and part built ones, with the appropriate displays and explanations ahve a part to play. I thoroughly enjoyed the weekend but found that explaining for 9 hours is more tiring than operating a layout. All in all the show was very good and as usual superbly organised.

Jamie.

Jamie

It was good to see Green Ayre in the flesh at Warley after seeing it progreesi n its own thread on here. I hope we werent too messy behind you with various bits of rolling stock either being repaired or new purchases opened and apart!!

Ian

• RMweb Premium

Jamie

It was good to see Green Ayre in the flesh at Warley after seeing it progreesi n its own thread on here. I hope we werent too messy behind you with various bits of rolling stock either being repaired or new purchases opened and apart!!

Ian

That's dangerous admitting to new purchases on an open forum Ian someone might see and ask how much they cost. the WW1 tank kit that camed back with me as a futire wagon load seems to have got in the house unnoticed. As to mess I'm sure that we created just as much.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

That's dangerous admitting to new purchases on an open forum Ian someone might see and ask how much they cost.

Jamie

Reminds me of a conversation I overheard at a show;

Father and Son buying 00 Diesels from secondhand stand, one loco goes into shoulder-bag, the second one gets tucked inside Fathers coat with the words "We won't show that one to Mummy when we get home"

• RMweb Premium

Reminds me of a conversation I overheard at a show;

Father and Son buying 00 Diesels from secondhand stand, one loco goes into shoulder-bag, the second one gets tucked inside Fathers coat with the words "We won't show that one to Mummy when we get home"

Every year at Wakefield I hear conversations in the Exhibitors tearoom on just that topic, comparing strategies etc. After 33 years of marriage my usual excuse of "I've had it since before we got married dear' is wearing a bit thin with SWMBO even though she knows that my house was full of models when she met me, as well as the pushbike in the kitchen and 3 boards of a layout in the dining room.

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

That's dangerous admitting to new purchases on an open forum Ian someone might see and ask how much they cost. the WW1 tank kit that camed back with me as a futire wagon load seems to have got in the house unnoticed. As to mess I'm sure that we created just as much.

Jamie

She was with me all weekend so no way to hide anything, plus she often encourages me!!

Ian

• RMweb Gold

There used to be an award at Warley - I think it was the Woodman Trophy. It was for the layout with the most bare wood on it.

Mike Cook took his 4mm version of Castle Cary to one of the Shows at the Harry Mitchell and won it hands down although trains did run. It was a busy weekend for the operators as it ws non stop questions from the public....

Sure did. My wife and I drove it and Mike there and back that weekend and ran it through the show despite many gremlins with track and stock. Must have been 28 years ago and probably the last trip we both went to with Mike and his layouts before our eldest daughter was born and she's 28 next birthday.

She was with me all weekend so no way to hide anything, plus she often encourages me!!

Ian

Aye, and my SWMBO actually told me to buy a loco just so I would stop goin' on about it..............A Heljan deltic at that ! :yes:

• RMweb Premium

Personally, I was delighted to discover Balloch at Warley, being previously unaware of its existence. For some reason I had not seen the name on the list of attractions and it was only when someone mentioned it in passing that I went over for a look.

Overall, I think that Balloch enhanced the show and offered more value for money than some of the other layouts.

Agreed, I thought it looked like an interesting project, just a pity there was no action!

A polite enquiry of the owner revealed that the DCC system had suffered a meltdown when plugged in on the Saturday morning. Attempts to repair it over the weekend were unsuccessful.

I think with this predicament I would have approached one of the DCC suppliers present to see if any were prepared to loan suitable equipment for the duration, (Maybe with a large sign saying DCC equipment on loan from XXXX on stand YY)

Keith

I have just waded through 23 pages, mainly of feuding. The absence of same was why I used to love this forum.

As someone who couldn't go due to work, anyone have any pics?

Like your avotar pic ,Raymond Poulidor was one of my hero,s when I raced in the sixties saw him in 1962 at the finish of the Tour in Paris ,he looks pretty well these days as well .Tired old road racer!

Archived