Hornby Blue 6023 King Edward II

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

With apologies to The Who. 'Meet the new model.Same as the old model'

http://www.ehattons.com/51266/Hornby_Model_Railways_R3102_King_Class_steam_locomotive_4_6_0_6023_King_Edward_II_in_BR_Blue_as_preserved_L/StockDetail.aspx

Over 100 sheets but you get a certificate. :O

Just a heads up on this new release of the blue liveried King from Hornby.This is a limited edtion of 1000 and I think that some proceeds of sales go to the locos trust.

This is one of the old locos Hornby churn out year after year when a brand new model would sell by the bucket load.Never mind.Anyone for a Javelin train set instead ! :jester:

• RMweb Gold

With apologies to The Who. 'Meet the new model.Same as the old model'

http://www.ehattons....tockDetail.aspx

Over 100 sheets but you get a certificate. :O

Just a heads up on this new release of the blue liveried King from Hornby.This is a limited edtion of 1000 and I think that some proceeds of sales go to the locos trust.

This is one of the old locos Hornby churn out year after year when a brand new model would sell by the bucket load.Never mind.Anyone for a Javelin train set instead ! :jester:

The current thread about Hornby profits evaporating indicates that they need income. Extended development times in China for new products are not helping Hornby at all, and Olympics memorabilia seem to have bombed. Producing a cash-cow model of this sort, which has a lot of what the motor industry calls "showroom appeal" ensures that there is something to keep the till ringing. Anything that keeps them afloat is good news for us all, surely?

• RMweb Gold

The current thread about Hornby profits evaporating indicates that they need income. Extended development times in China for new products are not helping Hornby at all, and Olympics memorabilia seem to have bombed. Producing a cash-cow model of this sort, which has a lot of what the motor industry calls "showroom appeal" ensures that there is something to keep the till ringing. Anything that keeps them afloat is good news for us all, surely?

I was just thinking how many of the purchases of this will actually be run as I suspect its collectors who will buy it.Just think what model of the King we could have with that 'wasted' Olympics crap.Like you say its a cash cow.

I have to say that the model from the pictures will be far better than my Hornby MK2 King circa 1991, which was far better than the MK1 King (19798sh). For a limited edition there is going to have be a premium, and is on a par in cost to the NRM version of the Duchess. I ordered mine soon after Hattons put it to pre order on the web, and look forward to arriving this weekend, seeing the real thing at Didcot made a definite impression, especially seeing it on the Mail exchange demonstration line.

Now all i need some appropriate stock for it to hall, perhaps some Hawksworths - i will have to drop some Christmas present hints!

• RMweb Gold

Now hopefully the GCR can get the real thing back in action.

I was a bit suprised at this comment having seen the loco newly restored on its visit to the MNR last summer. A quick Google revealed you are right to say it's now at GCR awaiting boiler work. A very sad and slightly intriguing story there. I therefore second your hope that he's back in fine fettle ASAP

• RMweb Gold

Does anyone know what the PDN means just behind the front buffer beam? My first thought was an abbreviation for Paddington?

Your first thought was absolutely correct. It was the way the GWR showed the allocation of its locos and each depot had a code which was painted in that position although in reality much closer to the back of the bufferbeam - only problem with 'PDN' was it meant that the loco was actually allocated to Old Oak Common.

RE6/6 of this parish was mighty impressed by the real blue 'King' at Didcot and might well have a pic taken on our RMweb visit.

Archived