RMWeb Software update broken

• RMweb Gold

And while Andy was sorting this lot out he still spared the time to use other means to keep us informed - that always takes some doing when you are trying to solve a problem, so thanks for that as well.

And he even offered to fix your printer ! (I think he was hoping you would fix the forum in exchange though)

Hi

......................we had been told that there was to be a software update Sunday/Monday with any update there are always the possibility of problems,...........................you was warned and it only needed a little patience from all ,,

Mike

Thats how I saw it. Some people are known for their moaning, while others are known for their knowledge, and yet others are known for work benches. Some are even known for all three(!)...........It's human nature and long may it continue. But how much neater it would be if those that are known for moaning would expand their repertoire oocasionally to include the occasional entry that is of use to the rest of us...

I do feel sorry for Andy, every upgrade, change of server etc that is undertaken seems to cause problems with the resultant criticisms.

Its a thankless job and I'm just grateful that Andy is doing it and not me.

Its a great site and its free, keep it going Andy.

Dean

For pretty obvious reasons I do not partake in Facebook and am not part of the Twitterati so have no idea if the problem is being experienced by a few or by everyone - hence the delay in posting.

Obviously with my total distrust of javascript I would expect such issues to be aimed more personally (though there is no reason why they should as said before all this javascripting can be avoided) but it seems from others posting that although the problems were not experienced by everyone (looking at the VNC there were still postings) it was far more widespread than just me and my lack of javascript.

I accept that there might be different hardware and software set-ups on different installations - though this should be known to the provider - especially if they are performing the installation. But there is no getting away from the very basic and fundamental errors that caused the issue. Those two PHP errors remain inexcusable and even worse given the fact that they were made public. If sensible project planning was performed we would have been presented with a user friendly page showing that a problem exists and is being worked on.

I am afraid RMWeb has moved on from the 100+ membership "hobby" site supported totally by Andy using his leisure time with free software. It is now part of BRM, paid for and reflecting their business with at least Andy in a paid support role. It now has 1000's of members contributing regularly and 1000's more reading, some on a daily basis. The software and servers are now commercial and much more is expected of the service. Downtime that used to be a bit of a joke and totally excusable, now reflects on the new ownership. Perhaps not as critical as internet banking it should reflect the investment placed in it.

As for "SpeshPerfectForumSoftware V1.0" at least it would not be re-released in many different versions with functions that were not required and worked one day but not the next simply because someone needed to change something they had no idea of how it worked or for just the sake of doing it. At least if someone was paying for it they would get a service that would be expected to support it. It certainly wouldn't attempt the impossible.

I am still curious about what this new version added to our experience of RMWeb?

• RMweb Gold

I am still curious about what this new version added to our experience of RMWeb?

Just keeping up with the world perhaps Kenton - the world of IT seems to be founded on creating built-in obsolescence in the name of 'development' and progress (and probably correcting past errors) as I found yesterday trying to find a suitable driver to enable my printer to properly print the pictures contained in my computer - the printer is 'no longer supported', i.e those who produced it no longer produce new drivers for more recent computers meaning I either have to link the printer to two different computers or buy a new printer when it is otherwise perfectly serviceable.

So at the end of the day while changes can sometimes deliver something they also serve to keep a worldwide industry going as stuff only a few years old ceases to be usable. As for Facebook I joined it for one reason - keeping up to date in the event of problems on RMweb and it is excellent for that very occasional purpose (in fact I use it so infrequently I usually forget my password).

• RMweb Premium

For pretty obvious reasons I do not partake in Facebook and am not part of the Twitterati so have no idea if the problem is being experienced by a few or by everyone - hence the delay in posting.

It isn't necessary to sign up for anything - just do a 'google' search (other search engines are available!) using the words 'Twitter Andy Y' and you will go straight to the page with the information (unless they use Javascript . . . . ) :O

Mike

An important aspect from my perspective is to ensure necessary updates are carried out to try and reduce the likelihood of any security loopholes that can be exploited.

Forum updates - http://community.invisionpower.com/topic/365776-ipboard-334-released-security-update-ipboard-330-333-32x/

Blog updates - http://community.invisionpower.com/blog/1174/entry-7937-ipblog-26-audience-building-and-promotion/ - http://community.invisionpower.com/blog/1174/entry-7936-ipblog-26-seo-improvements-and-microformats/

Gallery updates - http://community.invisionpower.com/blog/1174/entry-7874-ipgallery-50-some-further-changes/

You could always join up to the site and put forward your views as a user. Development of the next update (3.4) is nearing completion and there's a test forum for it.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Kenton,

The next upgrade will include an entirely new all-HTML posting editor, which may solve some of your ongoing issues -- see: http://community.inv...r-improvements/

And also an OP will be able to mark one of the replies as a "Best Answer" as a special way of saying thanks. This could be a useful feature on RMweb, especially if the "Best Answers" can be indexed in some way: http://community.inv...answer-feature/

But you get such new features only by keeping up with the rolling upgrades, even the ones which are mostly behind-the-scenes stuff.

regards,

Martin.

Hello,

If you want 100% you will always be disappointed> Thanks Andy as usual you are on top of your game..... Takes all sorts to make a world, but some would do better to spend more time modeling and running trains.... Nuf sed

Regards

An important aspect from my perspective is to ensure necessary updates are carried out to try and reduce the likelihood of any security loopholes that can be exploited.

Forum updates - http://community.inv...rd-330-333-32x/

Blog updates - http://community.inv...-and-promotion/ - http://community.inv...d-microformats/

Gallery updates - http://community.inv...urther-changes/

Thanks Andy. Interesting to see that the principle reason is for a security fix - noted that it is a XSS issue ;) The upgrades to blogs are of little use until the mash up of several "upgrades" ago has been put back to its original unbroken state - well at least in my case.

You could always join up to the site and put forward your views as a user. Development of the next update (3.4) is nearing completion and there's a test forum for it.

Not being a client and only a mere user they seem to take no interest in feedback, I have emailed directly in the past and not even been acknowledged with a reply - but that doesn't surprise me. They have every right to expect client feedback of users issues rather than direct involvement with users - because of the reasons highlighted above (different client setup). I raised both the change in the editor and the 'Follow' button not working issue.

Hi Kenton,

The next upgrade will include an entirely new all-HTML posting editor, which may solve some of your ongoing issues -- see: http://community.inv...r-improvements/

And also an OP will be able to mark one of the replies as a "Best Answer" as a special way of saying thanks. This could be a useful feature on RMweb, especially if the "Best Answers" can be indexed in some way: http://community.inv...answer-feature/

But you get such new features only by keeping up with the rolling upgrades, even the ones which are mostly behind-the-scenes stuff.

regards,

Martin.

Martin, having read that, thanks, I wish I could be optimistic. However, probably like most of the commentators I am not and expect the RTE to be more of a mess not less. Once again, it seems to me, they are continuing with a change to the system and still trying to maintain two different editors (well the code behind them) The RTE simply doesn't function correctly at the moment as it does not convert text entered to and from the database correctly - what is typed in a post is not what is returned in the edit box. All I can see is more of the same adding functionality to the RTE without fixing the underlying problem. However, as always I look forward to seeing it if it does work.

As for "Best Answer", that is an interesting "feature" but not really sure that it is a must have and can see possible problems. Sometimes what at first seems a good early answer can be superseded by a later answer which becomes the "Best". So will it be updateable by the OP. Also sometimes (actually quite often) there is no "best" it just is an evolving answer that enables the OP to reach a better understanding. I can also see some folk being upset at their answer not being selected as "best" when it will be equally valid but perhaps better placed/worded.

As i neither Farcebook or Twatter - I getr RMweb update from here http://www.facebook....205398459548735 without needingb to Join

Perhaps not unexpectedly that just gives me a blank page.

Kenton said ::

I am afraid RMWeb has moved on from the 100+ membership "hobby" site supported totally by Andy using his leisure time with free software. It is now part of BRM, paid for and reflecting their business with at least Andy in a paid support role. It now has 1000's of members contributing regularly and 1000's more reading, some on a daily basis. The software and servers are now commercial and much more is expected of the service. Downtime that used to be a bit of a joke and totally excusable, now reflects on the new ownership. Perhaps not as critical as internet banking it should reflect the investment placed in it.

None of us are so niave that we haven't already given consideration to all this and more. Andy Y is RMweb and RMweb is Andy Y. None of us know if there is another person at Warners willing to take on Andy's baby if he wakes up one morning and says 'Boll*cks, I can't be @rsed'. RMweb has thousands of readers as you say, and hundreds that tune in every week if not every day. Try to imagine for one minute how things would be if RMweb shut down completely tomorrow and try to imagine the significance of the loss.......Consider all the things you have learned about railway modelling and life outside your home over the past five or so years because of one website. Where else would you go to seek the information you require?. Google regularly directs folk to RMweb!

They say no man is an island, but by attracting together lots of little islands, RMweb has become the most siginificant 'continent' of British model railway information. Encouragement and new ideas have kept keep it vibrant and alive, harmony has replaced much of the old discord, and I honestly believe RMweb is now firmly on base.

Odd - clicking on my link you included in your post gives me this

post-6688-0-25398500-1349186928.jpg

which is a screengrab of the top part of the page

No nothing like that, and I'm not sure if an image of the blank white page has any value. What you see is likely to be due to you allowing everything that facebook wants to throw at you. I evidently connect to their server as I do not get a 404 error but once all their intended scripting is thrown at me and filtered out all that is left is white space. But it doesn't worry me as I do not subscribe to their version of the world and have no use of it.

No nothing like that, and I'm not sure if an image of the blank white page has any value. What you see is likely to be due to you allowing everything that facebook wants to throw at you. I evidently connect to their server as I do not get a 404 error but once all their intended scripting is thrown at me and filtered out all that is left is white space. But it doesn't worry me as I do not subscribe to their version of the world and have no use of it.

So information on the up or down status of RMWeb is of no use to you?

Another non-logged in option is https://twitter.com/RMweb

By default I block Javascript. This mainly came about when I was travelling and had very slow mobile broadband, and wanted to minimise what was downloaded. It also helps to cut out some of the annoying features of some web sites. But I also accept it's the way the world works, and unblock it on selected sites when it suits me.

I find the Facebook updates helpful. Facebook is brilliant for networking with like minded people who are trying to change the world, even if Big Brother is watching. But more than the occasional baby picture, mention of crap TV programmes, or idle gossip, and I'll unfriend! It's how you use it that matters.

I see the dreaded pink screens are back - referring to a 'driver error' (and I don't think it's a SPad - but is it only me and it's spreading from my printer?)

I haven't seen any today Mike but I had quite a lot last night whilst everything was stabilising.

Thanks to Coach, those who supported that post and those who've PM'd me. Although Warners own RMweb and pay for its upkeep (and my wages for a role which includes maintaining the site) my commitment to the site (and the hobby) is the same as it's been across the years and that joined with the members who share their hobby means that RMweb continues to do what it does and develops onwards. Growth in the membership and readership is steady and sustained at around +20% a year so collectively we're doing something right. Not every day is perfect and yesterday tested my patience* but it doesn't stop me wanting to develop more ideas (before change leaves anyone behind) and look at better ways of doing things.

So the 'I can't be @rsed' days can happen but such feelings are limited to a few minutes until the next good thing is seen; after all I have probably one of the most enjoyable jobs I could wish for and part of that enjoyment comes from the collective positives that happen here. I'm honestly not particularly offended by Kenton's perspective** as there's genuinely malicious folk out there although I could do without minor distractions just after spending a few fraught hours in getting things back to normal.

* I did nip out to run Mrs Y to a social function last night and had to navigate around every main road around town being blocked due to someone about to jump off a motorway bridge. My lack of patience obviously showed through when my first thought was 'tranquiliser dart'.

** Believe me when I say there are some really malicious people out there who set out to make trouble off-site and some who make low jibes which are far more aggravating.

Hi Andy

I think its a great site and have no problems with who the owner is at the moment

I have also noticed that on some other sites this last 2 days there have been some direct kick at yourself

I think you should lock this thread

those of us that enjoy being here will stay and those who can only find fault can always go somwere else

rgds and thanks for the site

Mike

I have also noticed that on some other sites this last 2 days there have been some direct kick at yourself

Thanks Mike, it's always the way. I don't know which sites or which people (in this instance) but it's normally fairly predictable content and originators (normally someone who feels disenfranchised because they've been pulled up for inabilities to be a reasonable member of a community). I've had the death wishes, personal insults and the plain offensive. Even then some of those people do their best to keep re-registering with multiple IDs to this site and even as I type I can see the name of a known malcontent reading the topic. Some people actually devote time and effort to hating me/the site/the owners etc; good luck to 'em. ;)

A blog-related issue for your list, Andy, in case you haven't noticed it. The blog 'dashboard' appears to have lost all knowledge of what has been read. Both the list in the recent entries column and the 'n comments' bit at the bottom of each summary are showing everything as unread. However, the VNC (by content - blogs) and the little list of recent entries on the home page appear to be behaving correctly.

Nick

Guest Belgian

Hi Kenton,

. . . . It's a forum about model trains using inexpensive off-the-shelf scripts. Even if it went off-line for a week it would not be the end of civilisation as we know it. . . .

regards,

Martin.

Yes it would.*

JE (but see Coachman's posting above)

* Joke (in case anyone is inclined to take offence or this too seriously)

Archived