RMweb

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

It's noticeable that F*st*rs is next to non-existent in most, if not all, of Oz. Not that some of the witch's brews that are available are much better.

I understood that Fosters was for export. The traditional CUB product is VB (aka Vomit Beer, aka Victoria Bitter). I have never tasted a difference between Fosters and VB. It's no an experiment I seek out.

CUB also distributes Pilsner Urquell, Peroni and Grolsch and what I think is a local Australian distributorship for Miller (as distinct from MillerCoors (US) and SABMiller, their international parent).

Edited by Ozexpatriate

VB is deeply unpleasant but surprisingly popular. I even know people who buy it with their own money. Mind you, it's not as bad as the WA equivalent, Emu Bitter. I gave up trying to keep track of who owns what mass market brand some time ago, when I realised that (a) they all come out of identical mega-breweries and (b) it doesn't really matter, because if it's warm enough that it doesn't immediately numb your tastebuds there's no point drinking it anyway.

Not that I drink much beer these days. Or anything else much, really. I allow myself a bottle of single malt now and again, or decent Irish, so I suppose I've matured to quality rather than quantity :D.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

If it was F*st*rs I would let it boil away! And then try to find a REAL beer.

steve

I was given some Fosters last summer and made really good use of it........for slug traps to protect my vegetable patch  ;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I was given some Fosters last summer and made really good use of it........for slug traps to protect my vegetable patch  ;)

It's probably the Thames water that gives it that unique 'flavour'.  All the Fosters sold in the UK is 'brewed' in the UK - at one time not too long back it was made in the chemical works 'brewery' Courage built near the M4 at Reading but it might now come from somewhere else - as a  result I wasn't in the least surprised not to see it on sale anywhere that I went in Aus.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It's probably the Thames water that gives it that unique 'flavour'.  All the Fosters sold in the UK is 'brewed' in the UK - at one time not too long back it was made in the chemical works 'brewery' Courage built near the M4 at Reading but it might now come from somewhere else - as a  result I wasn't in the least surprised not to see it on sale anywhere that I went in Aus.

Its important to remember that in Australia the mass beer market is very state based. What sells in Victoria, doesn't in Queensland for instance & vice versa.

FWIW, here's a brief history of Fosters.

http://www.australianbeers.com/beers/fosters/fosters.htm

It's regrettable that the cuts in front line services now extend to spelling too........................ A least in South Warwickshire............

attachicon.gifpolce.jpg

I wonder if that was a result in the garage swapping doors between damaged cars that just happened to have the decals applied slightly differently - there might have been another one ending up spelt POLIICE!

I was going to say this ought to be in 'The Beer Thread' but then I realised you were all talking about Fosters...

For those with an interest in beer (and those liquids that masquerade under that name) I recommend "Man walks into pub" by Pete Brown. An informative and entertaining book.

• RMweb Premium

It's regrettable that the cuts in front line services now extend to spelling too........................ A least in South Warwickshire............

Some people will take anything!

A curious quote from the Daily Express POLCE article:

One cop, who asked not to be named, said: "Shaun Wright spend a lot of money on getting liveries added to previously unmarked police cars to give the impression there are more cops than there really are.

AFAIK marked cars can only be driven by the police, so surely in reality they are no longer creating the impression there are less cops than there really are?