The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Reported in our local paper.

A woman walks into a local boutique last Saturday looks at various things finally picking up an Italian cashmere poncho and taking it to the counter.  The garment has a £145 price tag on it and the customer say she wants a 50% discount as it's Black Friday weekend - not surprisingly the member of shop staff says no and the customer storms out.  The shopkeeper has told the local paper this was disgusting and everybody wants something for nothing but she has a business to run - fair enough.

But she then went on to explain to the local paper how she prices items - she multiplies her buying-in price by 2.4 (with the 0.4 to cover the VAT, she said) - it's no wonder the local model shop shut down if some of the others in retail business here are applying margins like that!

Reported in our local paper.

A woman walks into a local boutique last Saturday looks at various things finally picking up an Italian cashmere poncho and taking it to the counter.  The garment has a £145 price tag on it and the customer say she wants a 50% discount as it's Black Friday weekend - not surprisingly the member of shop staff says no and the customer storms out.  The shopkeeper has told the local paper this was disgusting and everybody wants something for nothing but she has a business to run - fair enough.

But she then went on to explain to the local paper how she prices items - she multiplies her buying-in price by 2.4 (with the 0.4 to cover the VAT, she said) - it's no wonder the local model shop shut down if some of the others in retail business here are applying margins like that!

used to own a Renault Espace went to have exhaust replaced due to hitting a box in the road . qoutes all in the region of £ 3/400 from the usual suspects kwikfit halfrauds etc . went to our local motor factors who supply all of the above got all the parts and fitted them myself  total cost £96 ! massive mark up there also seen the same with car parts one of the companys  i worked for whilst on agency supplied lots of car parts to  shops 5ltr drum of anti freeze £7 from the suppliers £27 in the shop pretty much standard mark ups to at least times by two 

• RMweb Gold

qoutes all in the region of £ 3/400 from the usual suspects kwikfit halfrauds etc . went to our local motor factors who supply all of the above got all the parts and fitted them myself  total cost £96 ! massive mark up there 

It may look like a massive mark up but the reality is that in the £200 difference is VAT, so the figure is nearer £160.00 then there's labour (don't forget that although an employer pays 52 weeks pay, 4 weeks of that time the employee will be on leave) then there is premises, tools, equipment (compressors & ramps) insurance, training and the list goes on, then finally at the end there is profit...oh no hang on then there's tax.

Profit shouldn't be seen as an ugly word, without it there would be very few jobs about.

It made me smile to see SP 4449 back on the rails after a three year hiatus that included an extensive refit.

post-1819-0-99732100-1449533352.jpg

My apologies for the dodgy (really meaning very poor) focus (my mistake). Conditions were grim, dark and rainy (even though this was noon) and the fence was messing with the auto focus.

post-1819-0-48779300-1449533401.jpg

Even tarted up for the holiday train (the ORHF museum's big fund-raiser for the year) it's nice to see 4449 back on the rails.  A truly impressive machine and built for running much faster than 10mph running backwards and forwards.

The Mars light was working earlier.

Far better than this (from earlier in the Spring).

post-1819-0-86951100-1449534785_thumb.jpg

Having had the opportunity to poke my head into the open firebox during the refit and then seeing the firebox, not just alight but with the engine in steam, I have to say that this is a beast, even with the pretty shrouding.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 7

Oh dear, these two certainly won't be winning any 'Builder of the Year' award anytime soon.

attachicon.gifstoopidbuilders.jpg

(not my picture I hasten to add, it's been round the internet for a good decade or more now though)

Here's the actual location in Manchester. https://goo.gl/maps/hpX33BUU1VJ2

The bollards are set into a socket in the pavement so they can be removed for access, or replaced with a blanking cap.

http://gil.glasdon.com/glasdon-manchester-tm-bollard/highway_safety/bollards_posts_hazard_markers/view

Cheers

David

• Like 1

Here's the actual location in Manchester. https://goo.gl/maps/hpX33BUU1VJ2

The bollards are set into a socket in the pavement so they can be removed for access, or replaced with a blanking cap.

http://gil.glasdon.com/glasdon-manchester-tm-bollard/highway_safety/bollards_posts_hazard_markers/view

Cheers

David

And here I was thinking the van was gonna still be there!   :jester: