The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

"Welsh woman on bus shuts down racist who told Muslim passenger to 'speak English' http://bbc.in/28LUs9l"

Call me gullible but I do trust the Beeb.

The problem with that report is that all they are doing is repeating a facebook post, not exactly a credible source.

My Aunt lived in Newport and I used to regularly head to Cardiff and I don't ever remember hearing Welsh being spoken on South Wales.

• RMweb Gold

The problem with that report is that all they are doing is repeating a facebook post, not exactly a credible source.

My Aunt lived in Newport and I used to regularly head to Cardiff and I don't ever remember hearing Welsh being spoken on South Wales.

Quite a lot of people in South Wales speak Welsh and have done for many years but you don't hear it all that often in the city centres and there used to be lots of locals who couldn't speak Welsh (and then it became a compulsory subject in schools).  However I still reckon the tale of the woman in the niqab is a load of cobblers and in 'urban legend' territory. 

• RMweb Gold

There are news reports of a potential disaster at the Glastonbury pop festival site - a bulk tanker of cider is stuck in the mud.  

There are queues of cars on the roads in the area allegedly due to the muddy site conditons - I think they're really volunteers heading there to help lighten the load in the tanker.

I studied in Cardiff. On several occasions waiting in the queue at Mcdonalds the couple in front of me were happily chatting away in Welsh...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Unfortunately that is not the case, to quote the report:

He told Newsbeat that the man intervened as the woman chatted to her ...

Edited by Tim Dubya

Quite a lot of people in South Wales speak Welsh and have done for many years but you don't hear it all that often in the city centres and there used to be lots of locals who couldn't speak Welsh (and then it became a compulsory subject in schools).  However I still reckon the tale of the woman in the niqab is a load of cobblers and in 'urban legend' territory. 

I studied in Cardiff. On several occasions waiting in the queue at Mcdonalds the couple in front of me were happily chatting away in Welsh...

Much more likely to hear it spoken in North Wales. Can lead to instances where the speakers actually converse in English but, when a stranger comes within earshot, they automatically switch to speaking Welsh.

• RMweb Premium

Much more likely to hear it spoken in North Wales. Can lead to instances where the speakers actually converse in English but, when a stranger comes within earshot, they automatically switch to speaking Welsh.

We're stuck with local babble, stranger or not.  

Although to be fair, most strangers don't get the chance to speak before we put them in and light the 'man of wicker'.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

What, as in "oo-arr, etc."?

to quote the 'national anthem':

Alright)

Way down Taunton on the A38

Just around the corner there's a five-bar gate

Over in the field stands old Farmer Joe

Cranking up his tractor trying to make the thing go

No-one seems to care, or try to understand

It's hard to make a living when your working on the land

Go Go

Let the cider flow

Alright there young 'un

Farmer's son in the pig sty mixing up the swill

Bubbling and a steaming enough to make thee ill

Sow she came a borin' like a hurricane

Rollin' over n'over n'over n'over again

no-one there around, to give that boy a warnin'

they couldn't dig him out until the very next mornin'

Go Go

Let the cider flow

C'mon there my beauty, c'mon right there

Farmer's daughter Mable rolling in the hay

With them village lads she were the caberet

Swinging through the rafters in her tight blue jeans

Polo neck all ruffled n' bursting from the seams

No-one seems to care, or try to understand

The ups and downs a man gets when he's working on the land

Go Go

Let the cider flow

Farmer's wife out working picking up the eggs

She's gettin' on she ain't too steady on her legs

Basket in her arms and right from full

She crossed the field and she got chased by a bull

No-one there around to get the bull away

Now Joe's got scrambled eggs for his breakfast every day

C'mon here my beauty, c'mon 'ere

Giv'm a grt big dog, he he.

• Like 3

Call me cruel, but one of my great summertime entertainments has just occurred.

About two hundred yards from a primary school, and the windows are open for the breeze.

Kids all out in the playground for lunchbreak.

And it very abruptly starts to rain hard.

"Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!"

Effective windspeed is about 2mph, as the rain started for me at 3 minutes after "Eee!".

• RMweb Gold

I am still under the impression that the Beeb will not run any story unless it is corroborated from at least two sources.

When they are stuck with a single source item, they warn that it is and that they are working to authenticate it.

Trisonic is correct about the BBC website being almost useless 'abroad'.

Video clips being too painful to get past the adverts to watch so I never even try now.

No live sport "due to contractual reasons" repeated ad-infinitum.

Virtually no updates outside UK office hours.

If you never leave the UK then you will not know how bad the BBC website is offshore.

(I do find that other news websites are more painful than the Beebs attempts though.)

Kev.

My son lives near Llanberis and I find that in most local shops Welsh speakers switch to English when I make my first contribution to the conversation in English.  What Ivan reports is another urban myth, in my view.  Similarly, nowadays, you are quite likely to find in France that you will be spoken to in English by native French speakers.

But don't let that get in the way of bashoing Johnny Foreigner.

Stan

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

In some parts of North Wales I reckon the Welsh are in a minority - it's English immigrants who seem to crowd places especially on the north coast and northern part of Cardigan Bay.  Welsh is more common in Mid Wales and the inland part of North Wales where it verges on Mid Wales.

However to confuse North Walian Welsh with South Walian Welsh is an error - although most of the written language is common there are considerable variations in pronunciation and emphasis of syllables as well as the straightforward differences in accent.

The matter of shifting languages is common in many parts of Wales and has its amusing moments - going into a  pub when the conversation switches, as you enter, from English to Welsh is something I have come across in both South and Mid Wales but it soon changes back and it can be quite amusing to say cheerio in Welsh as you leave.  Equally in a shop in Dolgellau some years ago the shopkeeper switched from Welsh with the previous customer to English when I went up the counter but seemed overjoyed when I thanked him in Welsh as I left (not that I know much of the language).

When working in the Valleys (in South Wales) back in the early 1970s I knew plenty of people who could, and did, speak Welsh (great fun when going into a pub) but equally we had plenty of Welsh born people who couldn't understand a word of it.    Nothing at all wrong in my view, in fact rather pleasing, that people should converse in the language of the country in which they live (and folk can make what they want of that statement).

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

In some parts of North Wales I reckon the Welsh are in a minority - it's English immigrants who seem to crowd places especially on the north coast and northern part of Cardigan Bay.  Welsh is more common in Mid Wales and the inland part of North Wales where it verges on Mid Wales.

However to confuse North Walian Welsh with South Walian Welsh is an error - although most of the written language is common there are considerable variations in pronunciation and emphasis of syllables as well as the straightforward differences in accent.

The matter of shifting languages is common in many parts of Wales and has its amusing moments - going into a  pub when the conversation switches, as you enter, from English to Welsh is something I have come across in both South and Mid Wales but it soon changes back and it can be quite amusing to say cheerio in Welsh as you leave.  Equally in a shop in Dolgellau some years ago the shopkeeper switched from Welsh with the previous customer to English when I went up the counter but seemed overjoyed when I thanked him in Welsh as I left (not that I know much of the language).

When working in the Valleys (in South Wales) back in the early 1970s I knew plenty of people who could, and did, speak Welsh (great fun when going into a pub) but equally we had plenty of Welsh born people who couldn't understand a word of it.    Nothing at all wrong in my view, in fact rather pleasing, that people should converse in the language of the country in which they live (and folk can make what they want of that statement).

In the future, the English might need a visa to visit Wales!  I'm an expat who lives abroad and is now suffering from the fact that because I democratically have not voted in English Elections ( why should I have the right to decide how other people taxes are spent when I don't pay they my self?)  find that I am now not allowed to vote in a referandum that might remove my EU citizenship, even though I will still be living in the EU afterwards.

Edited by Vistiaen

• RMweb Gold

Unfortunately that is not the case, to quote the report:

I know I'm a terrible cynic but it is still lazy uncorroborated reporting.

Essentially, Man posts story on Farcebook and BBC contact him to verify, he repeats post and tells them he doesn't speak Welsh and runs an events company that puts on live music shows.

Sorry but the story sounds just like the Navajo indian version and many others and to be honest sounds like a load of boll*x to me. The timing is suspect too.......A Muslim woman speaking Welsh corrected/verbally abused by a man who is then told off by a woman sitting further ahead  at the time of the referendum where immigration is a hot topic..........I know I'm a Cynic, but if it quacks like a duck.....

• Like 1

To watch news with a spin in the other direction RT (formerly Russia Today) is quite enlightening.

Wiki opines that it's all propaganda, but, unless one had personal sources, who is to say who is fibbing and who isn't?