Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

There were for many years people who maintained that US forces were not defeated, but withdrew. Of course it's a distinction without a difference. The war was lost. In the passage of about 50 years (!) most people will readily admit that now - but there will be holdouts.

It's really quite similar to the end of the American War of Independence / Revolutionary War. With the exception of Cornwallis' forces that surrendered in Yorktown, British forces remained in place in New York and Charleston, but withdrew, Britain having lost the stomach to continue.

Michael , I'm not posting anything for political comment , all the recent post were taken from a

couple of sites that came up on facebook  and highlight some of the things people quote with

masterful authority only to be shown to be sadly ignorant or stupid .

They all made me smile on reading them so I copied them on for others to see , if some find them not

to be funny so be it .

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Sidecar Racer said:

winemaker.jpg.2262d5069fe0d5cb4994f7507def435f.jpg

Apart from entering the wine manufacturing industry at Cana, Jesus and his disciples drank wine at the Last Supper, to the extent that the disciples were still sleeping it off in Gethsename in the morning and Peter woke up in such a bad hungover mood that he cut a Roman soldier's ear off.  Assuming that our smiling commentator here considers himself to be a christian, which seems probable, one might think that he was aware of this and that wine is used symbolically in christian ritual as the Blood of Christ.

The concept that the American forces were not defeated in Vietnam but withdrew is concommitant with that that they were on the verge of total victory but were betrayed by political decisions at home, which in turn were a reaction to mass protest against the war.  There is some traction in this idea, but to hold to it as incontravertable truth is somewhat delusional.  Not surprising, though, given that those who served were told very definitely that they had not been beaten and that they could return home honourably with heads held high, only to be generally ignored, forgotten, and reviled as if they were all John Calley; the huge majority certainly weren't, but that aspect entered popular culture in Apocalypse Now with the pointless bombing of a Vietnamese village to the strains of Wagner, and the incident with the riverboat.  The fallout from this attitude is very clearly expressed in First Blood, before the Rambo series descended into pointless bloodfests.  A significant number of vets came home mentally destroyed by their experience, to a world that didn't want to acknowledge it's duty to look after them.  Americans are supposed to win, and are not forgiven when they don't.

Nobody who saw the final rout in Saigon live on tv, with people hanging desperately to helicoptors leaving the besieged American Embassy, could call the final act of the televised war a withdrawal, it was an out-and-out panic.  My view at the time, and still, is that the Americans were supporting a corrupt and failed regime in the name of anti-communist rhetoric, communism is in fact a very effective method of bringing a medieval serf-based society into the modern era and has been successful in that aim in Vietnam, and that the Americans got what they fully deserved, their *rses kicked, but that is a stategic political standpoint from a tv observer the other side of the world; the poor bloody infantry, the grunts on the ground who took took the blame for it's failure, were very unjustly treated, as usual.  They were largely conscripts, and did their best in a hopeless fight that they were ill-equipped or trained for (the Americans military doctrine of 'shock & awe/ovewhelming firepower/bomb 'em back to the stone age' is very effective for set-piece manoevres in open desert, or perhaps the Luneburg Heath, but not in a popular jungle insurgency in mountainous or boggy terrain, when your military might is effectively reduced to a seven-man patrol against an enemy dug in to the country, while any of you that survive have to go back to a base at the end of the day),  The people to blame were at the top, not the bottom, but guess what, they got to write their own records, and away with it.  The poor bloody infantry always do the work, and dirty work it is, and always get the blame.

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 5
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Sidecar Racer said:

poorgeography.jpg.8d8501e1e975604c5218542599054478.jpg

But, but Canada is the 51st state!

Well that's what many Americans choose to believe. Why else would they expect Canadians to accept their currency?

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

7 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

But, but Canada is the 51st state!

Well that's what many Americans choose to believe. Why else would they expect Canadians to accept their currency?

Because Canadians can often convince them  to value it as at par with the Canadian currency, then make a profit of about 35% when cashing US notes at a bank?

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 5

13 hours ago, Sidecar Racer said:

highlight some of the things people quote with masterful authority only to be shown to be sadly ignorant or stupid

I think the "ha ha" component of such websites is the idea that these people are indeed ignorant or stupid. I was suggesting that in the case referenced some people will intentionally embrace cognitive dissonance - which is quite common everywhere.  When comments are lifted out of context it's not clear what was actually being said.

No criticism of you implied - or indeed any political statement from me.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Sidecar Racer said:

Ingraham Angle

Look it up.

(And that's a political rabbit hole.) The original was likely intentionally inflammatory click bait. Curious that handle wasn't obscured.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, 30801 said:

There's a man who's never seen a badger off its face on fermenting windfall fruit.

Or birds. It's quite common with parrots and fermented berries. It became an annual event in Darwin with drunk rainbow lorikeets.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-06-15/darwin-drunk-lorrikeet-mystery-illness-solution/7508110

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Look it up.

(And that's a political rabbit hole.) The original was likely intentionally inflammatory click bait. Curious that handle wasn't obscured.

Yes indeed , Fox News ,  that paragon of honest and truthful reporting that cost them $787 million

in a defamation case .

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

22 hours ago, Sidecar Racer said:

winemaker.jpg.2262d5069fe0d5cb4994f7507def435f.jpg

I'm confused: I spend a considerable amount of time and money each day turning wine back into water again - does this make me amongst the damned or the exalted?

• Like 2
  • Funny 7

1 minute ago, The Sled said:

I'm confused: I spend a considerable amount of time and money each day turning wine back into water again - does this make me amongst the damned or the exalted?

Drink lager. You won't notice any difference between input and output...

• Agree 5
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Sidecar Racer said:

Yes indeed , Fox News ,  that paragon of honest and truthful reporting that cost them $787 million

in a defamation case .

Yes, it also meant that Lachlan Murdoch couldn't continue his case against Crikey in Australia. Because the same Fox figures would have to testify, pretty much the same arguments. I believe the Crikey crew are off the Christmas card list!

https://www.thenewdaily.com.au/news/2023/04/21/lachlan-murdoch-crikey-drop

• Like 2

21 hours ago, jwealleans said:

I don't do Reddit, this came up on another site.   Made me laugh out loud, never mind smile.

https://www.thepoke.com/2024/02/28/this-tale-of-a-man-asking-for-help-with-his-stuck-cylinder-is-the-greatest-reddit-story-ever/

I found it almost impossible to extract the ‘story’ from all the advertising, thus leading me not to bother.

Local newspaper sites are usually just as bad. This, again, means I don’t even bother trying.

Their loss.

steve

• Agree 5

6 minutes ago, Sidecar Racer said:

canadianborder.jpeg.3045ed02e29b1600222ba36d391cac11.jpeg

I know we’re all having a good laugh at these posts, but assuming they are real, I seriously worry about the level of education shown by the participants.

steve

• Agree 9

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

some people will intentionally embrace cognitive dissonance - which is quite common everywhere.  When comments are lifted out of context it's not clear what was actually being said.

Oh they’re good to send to your friends in America, and they respond with the colonial stereotypes many here spout 😆 satire isn’t exclusive to any country 😂

😶‍🌫️

And as a general reply to ‘it’s made up’

It makes you smile if you don’t analyse it to death like some are doing much like most comedians jokes and comic stories. 

The anal-ysis makes me smile 😆

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, steve1 said:

I know we’re all having a good laugh at these posts, but assuming they are real, I seriously worry about the level of education shown by the participants.

steve

Here is  Youtube link to a discussion about stupidity in the US .

I'll only do the link and not the screen shot to try and keep the

Boss happy . It is 5 years old but still relevant today .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJIaXaN7MY4

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2