Reliable Matt Varnish!

• RMweb Gold

Prompted by painting another wagon in matt varnish and not being impressed with the glossy result! What's the concensus on a reliable matt varnish.

The offender this time was Humbrol Enamel and before anyone asks, yes it was thoroughly mixed using a bent bur in a mini drill!

I'd be really interested in your views regarding acrylic/enamel, spray can/hand paint/ airbrush, manufacturer etc

I just want an even matt finish, not too much to ask surely!

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Funny you should say this about Humbrol matt varnish.

I thoroughly mixed up a new tin the other night being fully aware that it often comes out gloss, applied it to two models and it came out gloss.

Last night I again thoroughly mixed the same tin then applied it to the same two models - both came out utlra matt!!

I often use Testor Dullcote and normally its pretty good but agan it can occassionally come out satin.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Funny you should say this about Humbrol matt varnish.

I thoroughly mixed up a new tin the other night being fully aware that it often comes out gloss, applied it to two models and it came out gloss.

Last night I again thoroughly mixed the same tin then applied it to the same two models - both came out utlra matt!!

I often use Testor Dullcote and normally its pretty good but agan it can occassionally come out satin.

Ian

Hi Ian, seems like we are experiencing the same problem! The tin of Humbrol that prompted my post, had previously dried beautifully matt, on each occassion I'd mixed it the same way and even applied it with the same brush! All very strange and bl**dy irritating.

Dave

Hi All,

I have always used Humbrol acrylic varnishes but in the rattle cans and had no problem at all. I guess that as it has to operate in the rattle can that the mix is pretty much spot on from the get go. Being acrylic, it is pretty inert and doesn't react with anything you may have underneath.

All the best,

Castle

Being acrylic, it is pretty inert and doesn't react with anything you may have underneath.

Greetings,

In my experience and from earlier posts on numerous forums acrylic spray will react badly if you are using it over enamels. It will often leave a cloudy finish. However enamel over acrylic is fine.

Gareth

Hi Gareth,

The trick I have found is that if you leave the underlying stuff to really go off (a couple of days at least) then it is absolutely fine. As mentioned above, it also depends a lot on the atmospheric conditions in which you spray in too. We all have our own methods, experiences and techniques though and each to their own!

All the best,

Castle

Greetings,

In my experience and from earlier posts on numerous forums acrylic spray will react badly if you are using it over enamels. It will often leave a cloudy finish. However enamel over acrylic is fine.

Not in my experience and painting models is part of my job. As Castle says, as long as the underlying paint has fully cured it works with no problems.

But then I also get away with cellulose-thinned enamels over enamels... :)

Hi All,

I agree with Martyn, alway keep your can warm...

I keep mine in the house and therefore they don't get cold but when I have been in a situation where a rattle can has got cold I warm it up first.

All the best,

Castle

• RMweb Gold

Not tried Humbrol Acrylics but have used some of the USA ones, some times with great success and other times not so.

My Testors Dullcote spray cans are stored in the garage but it is fully insulated and part of the house so it doesnt get cold in there except on the very coldest days in deepest winter... doesnt get too hot in the hottest days in the summer either.

Ian

I have a can of 'The Army Painter' Anti-Shine Matt Varnish Spray that I'm planning on testing at some point, if anyone would be interested in the results? It was pretty good value for a 400ml can (7.60), assuming it works that is......................

• RMweb Premium

I brush the Humbrol paints.. have used spray guns but found that I spend more time fiddling with them than modelling!!

I feel much the same way about airbrushing; far too much faffing about. maybe I haven't spent long enough practising.

As for varnishes (matt in particular) I keep coming back to Humbrol Enamels, haven't found anything better yet. Once I've given it a really good stir I put the lid back on and (with thumb firmly on the lid) give it a vigorous shake for thirty seconds before I start brushing. If its a long job its worth giving it a re-shake part way through.

One thing about their varnishes is that they settle out VERY quickly. I've found that even over a few hours the sludge settles out in the bottom of the tin and needs re-mixing.

Hope this help,

Dave.

I think rule of the thumb here is, if your going to apply by brush then it has to be oilys as the drying time is slower than acrylics which allows the paint to flow.

If spraying then acrylics have the edge over oilys because of the flash off time between coats with less risk of sags.

I use celulose thinners with enamels it flashed of quickly then. I do not like the way acrylics dry in and on the airbrush.

Depending on how much you use,cellulose thinners does run a risk of oil base crazing if it is well into its curing time and you are applying a second coat.

Regarding water based acrylics I use acetone for cleaning my airbrushes. Because I mainly use suction feed I have one pot with acetone just to blow through the airbrush in between coats when in use. I also wash brush them down with acetone externally after use which keeps them in really clean condition for the next job.

Archived