Chivers Finelines proposed N gauge Plywood sided Southern Utility CCT

finelines

• RMweb Premium

Some months ago I floated the idea of a plywood version of my 4w Utility CCT. Before I start cutting the die I would love to hear that I am not wasting my time. 

Southern 4w utility vans have a variety of plank and end configuration. There are fixed ends (PMV) and opening door ends (CCT). The vans have either even planks, uneven planks (from memory there are even two types of these) and plywood.

At the moment there are two options. The Dapol model represents the even planked fixed end PMV. My kit produces either the PMV (the same) or the end door CCT, although strictly the strapping is not quite right being based on the PMV not a CCT. 

It struck me that if I produced a plywood side for a CCT we could reuse my CCT ends and all the other parts which are the same and produce a distinctively different van with its uneven planked doors. These were introduced in the early 50s. 

Do you want some?

Roger

• RMweb Premium

It has been pointed out elsewhere that my existing 4w Utility differs from the Dapol by having even planks whilst the their CCT has uneven planks. So the current choice is 3, not 2.

I knew I'd get it wrong, but the gist is right, they are different!

Roger

• RMweb Premium

A brief history of southern utilities:

Family 1:

SECR even plank PMV no side vents 4w. Some push pull fitted later.

SR even plank CCTs and PMVs 4w

SR uneven plank 4w. CCTs had even plank doors.

SR uneven plank with just one small pair of planks, but these may have been repairs. 4w.

BR plywood sided 4w. Has uneven planked doors.

Corridor bogie utility on redundant LSWR underframes.

Bogie scenery van (maximum loading gauge roof) on redundant LSWR bogies. Some built by BR on SR bogies.

None of the above have guards compartments and the windows are in the sides.

None of these should be muddled up with family 2:

The first were 4w birdcage BYs for continental boat train traffic.

4w BYs.

Both longer (6ft?) than standard 4w. Uneven planks.

Bogie Van B, essentially a stretched version of the BY on Southern Bogies. Uneven Planks.

These all had windows in the doors and guards compartments.

Family 3 contained 2 batches of prize or special cattle cans. SR built with gas lighting, BR built with electric light. Some people described them as utility horse boxes!

If you can find a fault please correct me. I didn't fail my history O level without reason!

Roger

Archived