Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Call-centre phoned re Windows problem...?

coachmann

A voice with the usual Indian accent called today. I normally hang up but gave todays call, supposedly from Windows, a chance.

I asked how widespread the problem was and wondered how they were managing to call the milions of people worldwide about this problem. Anyway, I was told to click on 'Start' then type 'VWR' in the box. I then decided not to proceed with this call and hung up.

The caller phoned back saying it was genuine but by this time I had to go out.

Anyone else had a similar call? I mean this country is swimming in spamsh*t so how are we plebs to spot the difference?

This is happening a lot here in Denmark, so much so that the press have got hold of the story. It's a scam. We ourselves have had just such a call telling us that there was a problem with Windows 7 on our computer. That sealed it there and then because, at the time, we were running Linux Xubuntu as the O/S. Hasn't stopped them, we keep getting them. The last time, I just told him to f**k off.

I would just hang up: I believe that it is a hoax to try and get you to install software that gives hackers control of your computer. I've never had such a call, but my mother has had a call on more than one occasion about problems with her computer and she doesn't even have a computer!

Regards

David

• RMweb Premium

A voice with the usual Indian accent called today. I normally hang up but gave todays call, supposedly from Windows, a chance.

I asked how widespread the problem was and wondered how they were managing to call the milions of people worldwide about this problem. Anyway, I was told to click on 'Start' then type 'VWR' in the box. I then decided not to proceed with this call and hung up.

The caller phoned back saying it was genuine but by this time I had to go out.

Anyone else had a similar call? I mean this country is swimming in spamsh*t so how are we plebs to spot the difference?

Easy to pick - Microsoft don't make such calls. End of story.

On a similar but slightly different phone call from a 'well known' double glazing & conservatory company a few years ago...

After having assured them I did not want double glazing ( I already had it!) they went onto conservatories. By this time I was a bit 'cheesed' (polite - insert a word starting with p and ending with d) off so decided to play them along. After some 20 minutes, on their phone bill, I feinted interest and agreed for a rep to visit me to give me a quote and they asked for my address; my response 'third floor flat, ...................'

I do hope the call was recorded and his manager heard it as the caller gave a very robust response before hanging up!

But seriously any call about a 'problem with windows' is a scam. I would just hang up, unless you are happy to string them along and have a laugh that is... :laugh:

I use them as a way of trying out silly character voices (terry thomas is my favourite) or making up on the spot stories to waste their time in a phonejacker type way

waste their time as much as you can, stall them saying you need to go and get a pen, come back say its not working etc, ask them about the weather, talk really slow, anything,,they take the hint and its better than shouting at them as they'll keep calling back

One of the benefits of Caller Information Display is that it shows "International" when these people call. Since we don't have any relatives abroad the approach these days is to answer the call and immediately put the phone down.

Dave

the phone numbers are on a computer database which calls you, if you notice it sometimes takes a few seconds for the operator to speak and this is the reason, the operator hasnt dialled you himself. it selects the person in the call centre who is available, if no one answers the phone the computer recognises this and puts your number back into the system to call you another time, so that it doesnt waste an available operators time by putting them on the same line if no one has answered.

basically it waits until you answer before selecting an operator to speak to you and bringing up your details on their computer screen and this is the couple of seconds delay you notice.

so if you keep on just hanging up you will stay on that database until someone physically takes you off it so it is best to get talking to them.

My in-laws almost fell for this one and a friends elderly father did and ended up losing quite a bit of money. Evidently if you search on Google their site is on there and if you contact they charge a ridiculous amount to fix. Its a scam alright.

• RMweb Gold

I had this one several times and was surprised how they stuck to it iwhen they got a retort such as 'You must be joking' or 'what sort of idiot do you think I am?' before putting down the 'phone on them (and returning to ... ... wait for it ... ... the keyboard of my IMac). If they're that dim you can tell that it is definitely a scam.

Ahh ! The Indian phone call - I allways assume it's the local Take-away

Reply thus,

"Thanks for calling, I'll have two onion bajees, four poppadom with lime pickle, two pipi-piri freshly killed,, a ""meat"" vindaloo (twice hot) with nan and boiled rice, a sagg-ghost with chips, and a bright red smoking hot sizzling ticking chicken !!"

They soon get the gist, go away, & moider some other poor sod.

Brit15

I'll usually play along for a bit just to waste their time. Normally I can keep them going for several minutes. I look at it as cheap entertainment, and for every one I tie up its one less call they can make to a potential sucker.

We used to get the fake Windows maintenance service calls about a year ago.

They rang several times a week and I did try to string them along a couple of times, even telling the person on the other end, after several minutes, that I didn't have a Windows computer.

He wouldn't have it so I then told him I had a Mac with the Mac OS, but he then declared that we had a Windows computer and that I was a liar !

"pardon me, what was that you said, I replied.

He got very angry and said..... (comedy Indian accent) " If you are telling me you do not have a Windows computer, then I am telling you, you are a damned liar !

At which point he hung up !

Tell them your time is valuable, and if they want to talk to you then its a pound a minute payable in advance, in 15 minute units (or larger if required). So it's going to cost them a £15 unit to make the arrangements to initiate payments, but thereafter provided the requisite cash is forwarded in advance you will be happy to talk to them as long as they like. Some folks get very bent out of shape over this, cannot imagine why...

• RMweb Premium

If I don't get at least one of these calls a day I think the 'phone's broken. Always around the same time, and they always use an English first name "Hi, this in Trevor", John, William, or whatever, never an Indian name.

There's nothing wrong with your PC OP and they can't see your screen or anything else. It's a shot in the dark, one of millions, and they just hope when they call you are using your PC and maybe something didn't quite go right with it today, and because the majority of us aren't up to speed with PC's, we think there is something wrong and bite. They play on human nature and lack of PC knowledge.

I've previously reported it to our local police and it's been passed on to a central team to collate times and areas. Whether anything will happen is another matter.

Rob

Archived