FRANKLIN PARK

Well here we go again,with things slowing up on "59th and rust" thought i would start doing a bit more on the new layout " franklin park",track will be peco code 83, #8 points,DCC sound +points.

A modern 16'x 18" industial park,with Genesee & Wyoming providing the switchers,(have MP15,CF7 already,) nice modern 60'-80ft stock,modern single storey buildings and a large paved team track and a gravel unloading area.

Built boards quite a while ago out of 75mm x 12mm pine 6mm ply tops,woodland scenics foam roadbed,buildings that are made i've used 2mm MDF and 1mm card

post-13979-0-14555900-1350393481_thumb.jpg

post-13979-0-57055700-1350393494_thumb.jpg

post-13979-0-03832900-1350393510_thumb.jpg

Going to build this when i have lulls on "59 and rust" (gotta keep building them for TVNAM you know!!!)

Ray

• RMweb Gold

I like the trackplan - industrial park modeling interests me, too. I'm not sure if you're over here or over there, but if you need detail pics of anything specific let me know!

Ken

Like your location. Spent numerous evenings in the Comfort suites over looking the racetrack and when it gets dark in the brewery in the old roundhouse next door.

Ian

Ken

Like your location. Spent numerous evenings in the Comfort suites over looking the racetrack and when it gets dark in the brewery in the old roundhouse next door.

Ian

Ian -

Please, look me up if you ever come back!

I've been working on a writeup for RMweb of the Aurora Metra - it would make a good prototype to model, especially now that Kato is doing the newer coaches and MP36s.

A few, long spurs are the way to go for a modern industrial park setting.... the sheer length of track to be travelled extends the time an operating session takes, as well as the shuffling that has to be done. Nice one!! :locomotive:

Does the 16ft include the fiddleyard/staging, or is that "as well as"..?

...... I'm interested in how you like the Woodland Scenics foam roadbed...

After looking at your pics I was going to ask if it was Woodland Scenics foam roadbed but trisonic has confirmed that for me.

I too am interested in how you feel it compares with cork in both ease of installation and running qualities.

What is your secret to effective time management that allows you to be so proactive in modelling as I could do with a little bit of that magic :dontknow:

After looking at your pics I was going to ask if it was Woodland Scenics foam roadbed but trisonic has confirmed that for me.

I too am interested in how you feel it compares with cork in both ease of installation and running qualities.

What is your secret to effective time management that allows you to be so proactive in modelling as I could do with a little bit of that magic :dontknow:

Dear Cee,

2 tips

- Avoid spending modelling time watching TV

(unless you can multitask, and the significant other doesn't mind you performing "production-line" tasks on the coffeetable in front of the TV)

- Avoid spending what-should-be modelling time at the computer

(Even wonder how much modelling you might have gotten done if the time wasn't spent online? ;-) )

Happy Modelling,

Aim to Improve,

Prof Klyzlr

Dear Cee,

2 tips

- Avoid spending modelling time watching TV

(unless you can multitask, and the significant other doesn't mind you performing "production-line" tasks on the coffeetable in front of the TV)

- Avoid spending what-should-be modelling time at the computer

(Even wonder how much modelling you might have gotten done if the time wasn't spent online? ;-) )

Happy Modelling,

Aim to Improve,

Prof Klyzlr

Don't watch much television but am certainly guilty of too much online activity albeit mostly railway related :whistle:

However a small layout/test track is at an advanced stage of planning and wood will be cut this weekend if the weather is suitable.

The atmosphere of 59th & Rust is partly responsible for this.

I have used Woodlands underlay and I find it a lot more user friendly than cork and other foam ballsts .....it is fim enough to give decent support to the track,easy to curve and cut,especially for turnouts etc and they also do plain sheets for the more complex turnout formations + 24' rolls. :good:

Regards Trevor.... :sungum:

I found the woodland foam bed quite easy to lay ,stuck down with chaulk then the edges faced with filler/pva/emulison paint mix.

the track plan doesn't included the fiddle yard,which will be a 4/5 road transverser about 4' in length,as there will be no runround, all train will be propelled on to the layout.

Like others have said, i don't watch any tv,my motivation comes from enjoying modelling,the challenge of building something that is a decent standard to show at exhibitions around the country,any spare time i get, goes on modelling,planning helps to get most out of your alotted time, which usaully is 1 hour before work,2-3 after,i use the computer,when i've got a lull (waiting for parts or paint etc drying) also having a understanding wife (most of the time)

Hoping to get most of the track layed before Christmas,which all depends on finishing "59th and rust"

Ray

• RMweb Premium

layout is looking really good so far, am impressed with the mdf buildings, not a material I would have thought about using ( goes back to college and really not like using the stuff).

Me and my dad have used the Woodland scenics track bed and its been down approx 5-6 years with no problems although we have used cork on other layouts since.

I don't really prefer one over the other.

• RMweb Gold

Ray

I often do an hours modelling before heading off to work. Its a great btime to either glue or paint something that needs to be left to dry, so that when I come back from work, I can continue working on that item rather than wait till the next day to do so.

Ian

• 2 months later...

Happy New year to everyone

Well things haven't gone to plan,been layed up over the festive period,so been watching lots of Dvd's( a bad move),which has got me thinking,there seems to be a few railroad industrial parks which have water features (lakes,streams etc) so i have been playing about with the track plan for Franklin park.

post-13979-0-88458200-1357227201_thumb.jpg

I've done away with the 4 road fiddle yard (down to one) added a couple of kick back sidings,also a lake and a small stream,it all fits into the 16' x 2' space, there will be abit of fine tuning.

Going to need another point, a curved left #7(will try and fit a left #8 if i can) and a few more lengths of track.

I need to make my mind up by the end of the month,so i can start track laying and altering the baseboards,think it looks ok,and will be intreresting enough to operate.

Don't watch this video it can become addictive,skip to 15.22 min, to see what i'm talking about.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

Ray

One of the things you might find in a newer location is an artificial (but natural looking) catchment pond. Because they are artificial, they can be of any shape that fits the area you need them to.

Example:

http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ll=43.790142,-79.486256&spn=0.003156,0.005177&t=h&z=18

Adrian

Exactly - especially if you want to keep the Franklin Park locale.  Having a water filled man made retention pond and drainage ditch would be completely appropriate for that area, though.

Archived