RMweb

Penhayle Bay

Gwiwer

The layout is looking good Rick,

I am liking the latest pics. The 128 looks very nice, I saw a blue one the other week I was very impressed not only did it look superb it ran very well too. 

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Cheers Peter.  

They weigh a ton and a half and are power hungry with it but she runs superbly well and tows 16 Mk1s :O  It really is a superb model and I'm having trouble not ordering a blue one but with the Dapol Westerns and Bachmann sleeping cars imminent my credit card needs a break!

You can have a play Saturday week by which time the 128 should be weathered.

:D

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

While test running for tomorrow's Friend's Day some lovely low-angle late afternoon sun allowed this view to be captured.  Hopefully with more good photos and possibly some videos to be posted in due course after tomorrow.  

DSCN8526_zps99c84381.jpg

• Like 12

Hi Rick,

Thanks for a great afternoon, it's always good to see some trains running on Penhayle Bay it's such a great layout to watch trains just roll by, and plenty of variety too. The cake was nice too.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A fine body of men assembled for today's running.  A crushed foot having confined me to a seated / lying down position for two days meant I wasn't able to arrange the new layout as a mock-up as planned; I had hoped to have the boards out in the open with track, buildings and trains placed as an indication of what is to come.  Instead I was only just able to creep around this morning in time to get the layout running; I had fortunately set the train up two days previously just before the injury.  Another of the group had been out on a night run in the nearby hills and at 1am was posting via Facebook that he was lost.  He found his way out by retracing his steps and had just enough sleep to be able to join us!

Several visiting locos graced us with their presence including Tony's brand new B17 which emerged from its box for the first time among the SR and BR types at Ponsangwyn shed

DSCN8533_zpsca5cc7c7.jpg

Jim brought along a pair of Heljan / Olivia's class 76 electrics both of which unfortunately proved to be in need of major rectification before being useable; one serviceable loco was made from parts of two and was a very surprising sight at Penhayle Bay - not least because there are no overheads to power it - hauling a freight typical of those the real "Tommys" would have taken over the Woodhead route.

DSCN8538_zps9a29bd0c.jpg

As promised all those trains I had planed to run were fully weathered.  Representing the modern image a class 66 leads a rake of JIA clay tanks with the factory-applied weathering commissioned by Kernow MRC which attracted a lot of very favourable comments.  

DSCN8554_zps931c2fc2.jpg

Representing the blue era and on one of the iconic duties for the class a "Western" waits for the road at Treheligan with the china clay hoods

DSCN8553_zpse0efebb9.jpg

"Early blue" is represented by a filthy class 22 in charge of an equally grimy rake of mixed parcel vans.  One each of BR CCT, GWR Fruit D, SR Van B, BR 50' brake and Thompson full brake comprise the train

DSCN8569_zpsa6001038.jpg

For the pre-blue era a maroon "Western" appeared leading the TPO although only the leading BG is in shot here.  This train is one of several which ran today entirely weathered by myself.

DSCN8558_zps730c0bd9.jpg

The TPO pauses at Treheligan and passes a maroon-liveried passenger working

DSCN8579_zps77d715fe.jpg

Diesel green wasn't overlooked as class 22 locos worked numerous trains as did a two-tone 47.  The class 128 parcel car also ran a few trips towing its usual brace of Hawksworths and a green Warship led the milk tanks into the setting sun.

DSCN8543_zps14b8b4e5.jpg

Thanks to Peter also from bringing along a train from Llanbourne - we were treated to a couple of Peak class 45s working a Hornby Mk2 rake in mixed Regional Railways (Trans Pennine) and b/g colours; here it is almost lost in the landscape as the lowering sun glints across the waves of Penhayle Bay

DSCN8550_zpse9cf54b2.jpg

Many thanks to all who came, brought along their own guest items and made it a thoroughly enjoyable afternoon in the (very) late summer sun.

A short video (click on the image to start it) showing the two-tone green 47 on a train of 45' vans running into the down platform loop as a 22 heads up-country with the parcels.

th_DSCN8578_zps029bd800.jpg

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Some moving trains .....

I have uploaded to YouTube for the first time because the first one is a very large file and was causing Photobucket some problems.  

The first is a 10-minute walk-around of the entire layout which is something that has been asked for occasionally over the years.  This is "warts and all" so includes "off the edge" and "sleeping person" moments.  It also includes a branch line DMU which had performed faultlessly all day but on this occasion refused to budge on cue until taking off like a rocket!

The featured train which performs several circuits is a 1960s representation of the Cornish TPO.

Next we see the green class 47 rolling through Penhayle Bay on the van train

And finally that same train is looped at Treheligan to allow a passenger train to go first and is passed by a mixed and rather dirty parcels working.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Some moving trains .....

I have uploaded to YouTube for the first time because the first one is a very large file and was causing Photobucket some problems.  

The first is a 10-minute walk-around of the entire layout which is something that has been asked for occasionally over the years.  This is "warts and all" so includes "off the edge" and "sleeping person" moments.  It also includes a branch line DMU which had performed faultlessly all day but on this occasion refused to budge on cue until taking off like a rocket!

The featured train which performs several circuits is a 1960s representation of the Cornish TPO.

Next we see the green class 47 rolling through Penhayle Bay on the van train

And finally that same train is looped at Treheligan to allow a passenger train to go first and is passed by a mixed and rather dirty parcels working.

I thought Penhayle looked good from the photos, but the video lifts it another notch.  Thanks for posting it.

Adrian

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The uncommonly warm weather having persisted for another week I have been outside some evenings slowly packing up the rolling stock and running trains at the same time.  Things change after tomorrow; from Sunday the autumn really looks set to arrive with much cooler and wetter weather expected.  Almost everything is now back in winter storage though with rolling stock kept in plastic boxes and locos in specially-built wooden trays it's very easy to set up a couple of trains quickly if I fancy running something.

D7093 made an uncommon appearance this evening.  It gets dark an hour earlier now so the lights were on at Penhayle Bay.

DSCN8611_zps0e7b9a60.jpg

And seen creeping into Treheligan's down platform loop with a passenger train waiting at the down main.

DSCN8606_zps8780e5e2.jpg

Some detail of the BSK which has had the factory-supplied gangway cover (including a dummy tail lamp) fitted and the whole coach weathered.  The body sides were lightly powdered then rubbed almost back to plastic with soft cloth which has given a shiny but used look satisfylingly close to a coach-painted, varnished and slightly dirty Mk1 in traffic.

DSCN8603_zpsb0aaae29.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

It's all outdoors though under a plastic roof so protected from 99% of rainfall.  In winter it can be cold and damp, the layout can be dusty with dirty rails to clean and by late afternoon rather dark as well none of which deters me from running a few train if I want but can make taking good photos harder.

• Like 1

Lovely looking maroon weathered Western running over point work and through country scenery.  It doesn't come much better, though I'd have been equally happy if it had been a green one. And that Warship with tankers bathed in sunlight - nice!  Cliff face down to the beach impresses as ever too.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Aussie summer officially ended a couple of months back here but we had another six weeks or so of quite warm weather ;)  That has now ended; days are struggling to reach 20C and nights are back into single figures and will get as low as 5C in due course.  Still warm by British standards though.

Almost all rolling stock, people and other moveable and vulnerable items are now indoors for the winter as there are no more events planned for the time being.   I always keep the main lines in good order and run a few trains most days through the winter period but the full layout including the fiddle yards will be left alone for the coming months and spruced up again towards our spring in August or September.

The past few winters have seen me getting on with smaller projects and preparing for some renovations.  This winter I have the benefit of a dedicated modelling bench indoors after renovating the work room and squeezing a second desk in.  That should permit more and better quality work to be completed which will include complete new sets of signage for both stations.  It will also allow me time and space to get on with the new layout and a couple of small diorama projects which are waiting part-built in the queue for my time.

I love it . the warships, the detail, the landscaping .This layout has given me a lot of inspiration

Thanks!  If there are any specific questions I can help answer please feel free to ask.   

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Scott

Thanks for the comments.  The large retaining wall you ask about is a Gaugemaster item product code GM32 and available from them direct and elsewhere.