Penhayle Bay

Gwiwer

NIce work Rick. How do you get on with card in your environment? A lot of people round here (Sydney) suffer from silverfish attacks on card and brickpaper, so I have pretty well decided to avoid these on the new layout.

For Sydney and Brisbane, I recommend mixing a little Dettol into the glue for card/paper buildings, or into the plaster for scenery. Silverfish and cockroaches don't seem to like the taste or aroma of Dettol, for some reason! :) 

Since moving to Melbourne from Brisbane, I haven't noticed the problem anywhere near as much, so haven't bothered with the additions to the mixes with my layouts here.

For Sydney and Brisbane, I recommend mixing a little Dettol into the glue for card/paper buildings, or into the plaster for scenery. Silverfish and cockroaches don't seem to like the taste or aroma of Dettol, for some reason! :)

Since moving to Melbourne from Brisbane, I haven't noticed the problem anywhere near as much, so haven't bothered with the additions to the mixes with my layouts here.

My cockroaches don't mind a double malt whiskey. Problem is that they tend to fall in, once they have a belly full and end up making fools of themselves.... :mosking:

Cheers, Gary.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Rick,

Some nice pics, I do like that Lifeboat its a superb model. 

I noticed some SR green coaches in post 718 are these Bachmann ones, I was thinking of getting a few of these but would like to know is the green a good colour match?

Cheers Peter.

Hornby has today announced that its Railroad Mk1s will be produced to a higher spec as main range items with lights, and will include a BSK, SK and CK in BR green. Assuming Hornby colour matches its Maunsell coaches - and I can't see why not - they might be your best bet. I'll certainly be getting them in preference to Bachmann's green Mk1s.

Hornby has today announced that its Railroad Mk1s will be produced to a higher spec as main range items with lights, and will include a BSK, SK and CK in BR green. Assuming Hornby colour matches its Maunsell coaches - and I can't see why not - they might be your best bet. I'll certainly be getting them in preference to Bachmann's green Mk1s.

Thanks Andrew,

I will look out for some when they come out as I am no real hurry to get them at them moment.

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Premium

I'll take as I find.  These are apparently to be "higher specification" items elevated from the Railroad range and with lighting included.

I'm more concerned that the livery is about right than with having them light up.  Lights can't be seen in the daylight and were often switched off on the real thing anyway.  If it's anything like Hornby's rendering of "BR EMU green" (which is too faded and blue for my liking) on the 2 Bil units I might stick with the Bachmann offerings!

• RMweb Premium

Strange things happen at Christmas.

It's usually the only time the Aussie rolling stock gets to stretch its legs.

From "Cornwall in Australia" to "Australia in Cornwall" here's the Austrains NR-class loco leading some (generic but fairly typical) stainless steel passenger stock past Wheal Julia.

i-hLXThFq-L.jpg

The small windows on the leading vehicle are not to restrict passenger viewing - it's a power-brake which contains a large diesel generator to supply "hotel" power to the train and also the guard's accommodation and luggage space.

i-Ptb3Q2m-L.jpg

This loco is remarkably well travelled.  In 2010 it (and a representative train of two stainless steel coaches) travelled the World with me appearing on my nephew Adam's Canadian-themed N-gauge project in its early days:

i-VbM5kgJ-M.jpg

Then on the Greenhills module constructed in Australia by Marty Hale and also shipped over to the UK - here seen at the very rare moment in time when one train was moving on board another.  The module and rolling stock are set up on the sleeping car berth aboard the Night Riviera after departure from Paddington which arguably means the loco has also "run" over GWR metals!

i-236D5jk-M.jpg

The loco has reached Penzance

i-49qfXJZ-M.jpg

And is perched on the class 57's buffer to compare 1:1 with 1:87 scales ;)

i-RHgBqdt-M.jpg

And has also run on numerous UK layouts including Kernow Junction as seen here.

i-BrGkgzM-M.jpg

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

And a Merry Christmas to you and the family Peter.

As I said strange things sometimes happen.  V/line on Llanbourne as well eh?  The pics will be an interesting addition to your thread ;)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Things have been quiet over Christmas.  Every piece of rolling stock was removed from the layout and packed away indoors while we were away.

My Queenslander friend Mick dropped by yesterday to collect his soldering iron which had been on long-term loan and a RES-liveried van train which has now gone to his Edith Junction layout for future enjoyment there.  I set up a few trains and we had a couple of hours enjoying BR blue.

Ponsangwyn shed hosts classes 52, 37 and 25 between duties along with a rake of china clay wagons together with a BG-type parcel van and a cement wagon apparently "stopped" for attention.

DSCN0807-L.jpg

The blue class 50 in original-style livery doesn't feature as often as some types but here is seen in brilliant sunlight at Treisaacs Farm.  Everything is weathered - even the pigs!

DSCN0822-L.jpg

A different angle on the same scene shows the train emerging from cloud shadow into sunlight

DSCN0813-L.jpg

And I'm sure Mick won't mind me adding a couple of his taken on a smartphone.  Firstly Mick's personal favourite loco and livery combination - the BR blue large-logo class 50 - is obliged to wait while a class 45 draws through the platform loop with a freight.  I must have a word to the signalman as well - something is amiss in that department  :blush:

post-3305-0-71983200-1388229718_thumb.jpg

When the 50 gets the road it is paralleled by the branch train departing towards St. Agnes in the shape of a class 108 DMU.  

post-3305-0-05388500-1388229714_thumb.jpg

I have Saturday 1st February pencilled in for an open-house with the layout running and the in-build boards for the Beer & Branscombe project on display with static rolling stock, loosely-positioned buildings and basic scenery.  If the weather is very hot the house is air conditioned for comfort; trains still run though with some points out of use when in full sun.  2 - 5pm is my usual afternoon running time but as an alternative since this is more or less the middle of summer I could shift the time by a few hours to avoid a potentially scorching afternoon and say 4 or 5 until 8.  That gives an opportunity to see the lighting after sunset and while I can't provide meals for all there's a BBQ available and at least some form of catering will be arranged. 

Those interested please let me know as I need to manage numbers and also whether you prefer the earlier or later times. If you're not familiar with the location that can be advised via PM or email.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Great photo's, like the waves crashing over rocks in last photo.

Thanks.  Just a bit of acrylic paint I slapped onto the back scene one day.  It's a sloppy old sea under a grey sky which is a counter to the "normal" blue skies seen on layouts as well as better representing typical Cornish weather ;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I have Saturday 1st February pencilled in for an open-house I can't provide meals for all there's a BBQ available and at least some form of catering will be arranged. 

If you're not familiar with the location that can be advised via PM or email.

Wow! This sounds like a fun evening.If only I lived closer

If you leave home now, waterproof your bicycle and pedal hard, you might just get here in time!   ;)  

Oh, and p.s. - remember to hold your breath for the underwater bits!

Edited by SRman
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

If you leave home now, waterproof your bicycle and pedal hard, you might just get here in time!   ;)  

Oh, and p.s. - remember to hold your breath for the underwater bits!

That's what I like about RMweb - so much practical help and guidance on offer!

• Like 1