Penhayle Bay

Gwiwer

• RMweb Premium

The Beattie and the King Arthur were both pulling.  Despite being very different sizes and from different manufacturers they worked perfectly together without any "push-me-pull-you" effect and ran several circuits of the layout while I captured the required sequences.  You get a good impression of that from the side-on panned shot.

More to the point it illustrated the relationship and connections with other railways.

It also illustrated our friendship and willingness to become involved in something bigger than our own railway rooms.  That is something which is also apparent here at times with the SWAG annual beano to Staplegrove and the Member's Day / RMweb live events.

I loved the video which I came across vi a the Facebook page - must be one of the first in a long while I've watched all the way through and remained entertained so thanks for sharing! If you do produce an 'episode 2' can I put in a request for a modern version with a bit of Great Western HST action!?

• Like 1

Rick a great selection - thanks for al the tie and effort to put it together.

def the video social media stats report that out of 100 people in any community 95% read/watch what's up there 4% bother to register with the community and very occasionally comment, and 1% will be the active  members/commentators in that group.

You can then add the '80/20/' rule, which is that 8% of the comments will come from 20% of that 'active' group

• RMweb Premium

Nice pics Rick - First class weathering on Loco's and Stock.

Cheers, Bob.

Thanks Bob.

Credit where due however as the bottom view is of a Kernow MRC-commissioned Dapol Western with as-supplied weathering (I've only added the buffer grease) and the clay hoods all carry factory weathering which I am adding to.  The 22 is also a Kernow MRC / Dapol weathered commission though in this case I have added more detail including the radiator overflow and more dirt.  All the rest is my own work ;)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just when you thought it was safe to browse the forum again ;) .......

Along comes a half-hour of wan sunlight and just enough to enjoy a couple of quick laps of the track by some of the more modern stuff.

Class 47 and air-conditioned "raspberry ripple" stock at Darras 

DSCN2110-L.jpg

Still in BR large-logo blue but towing a rake of IC-livery Mk1 coaches from the reserve fleet a class 50 coasts down past the beach where unusually there is no bus waiting - though a hopeful passenger is!

DSCN2124-L.jpg

Facing the other way the two trains pass beneath the mass of Penhayle Head and Men Tor

DSCN2129-L.jpg

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Oh dear you've confounded the spotters but concealing the Class 50 loco number behind the platform lamp. looks like 35 or 50 from the emblem above the nameplate.

BTW, did you notice that 50 seems to be missing it's front ETH box just above the buffer beam.

• RMweb Premium

Oh dear you've confounded the spotters but concealing the Class 50 loco number behind the platform lamp. looks like 35 or 50 from the emblem above the nameplate.

BTW, did you notice that 50 seems to be missing it's front ETH box just above the buffer beam.

Thank you Andrew.  The missing jumper was located in my workbench "lost and found" drawer and refitted.  While in there I also found and refitted a buffer step missing from the other end.

I also fitted a driver which proved more challenging than I had expected owing to the way the cab assembly on these locos is an integral part of the restraining mechanism for the sprung cab doors.  Who needs opening cab doors anyway?  ;)

• RMweb Premium

Does this look better?

i-dFwZ9BT-L.jpg

The re-fitted cable doesn't sit down quite as I'd like but at a reasonable distance it looks OK.  Such as here storming up through the woods

i-W7hfWdz-L.jpg

i-xvDs4bB-L.jpg

While for some people this sort of view is how they think of Cornwall

i-CK689Lr-L.jpg

The weathering also had a brush over after a decent handling to remove any fingerprints and smudges.  There's a buffer step slightly out of position there and the lower louvres look like they need slight attention as well.   I guess it never rains but it pours!

i-kpsF2fV-L.jpg

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Like 17

• RMweb Premium

The new batch of clay wagons has been heavily weathered and added to the rake.  The complete train is seen here running along the cliffs.

Click to play these videos.  Any creaking and groaning isn't me ;) - it's rather windy here and the tree which pokes up through the layout is rubbing against the woodwork of the layout roof as it normally does in such conditions.

i-c4cgZQ4-L.jpg

Having stopped to pick up a pilot loco - or perhaps just one required elsewhere which was conveniently coupled on - the train eases slowly into Treheligan down platform loop.  The six new wagons are on the back and are easily identified by having their buffers "greased" and the greater amount of weathering applied all over.  The remainder of the rake will be brought up to the same level of weathering in due course along with the rake of "hoods".

i-4mWB85L-L.jpg

And finally after dark with the 42 having replaced the 22 on the front the train trundles through Penhayle Bay

i-gnxwL3q-L.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

BRITISH RAILWAYS BOARD

NOTICE PURSUANT TO THE RELEVANT LEGISLATION

PENHAYLE BAY RAILWAY

TEMPORARY CESSATION OF ALL PASSENGER AND FREIGHT TRAFFIC 

The Board HEREBY gives notice that on and from Friday 11th July 2014 that they propose to discontinue all passenger and freight services from the above line and to temporarily close their stations at PENHAYLE BAY and TREHELIGAN along with the associated branch lines and also their freight facilities at Carreglyp and Ponsangwyn.

This closure is required in accordance with Rule 412 of the Board's Articles of Association which states that "If it appears expedient to the Board that, in order to facilitate the needs and whims of the Area Manager and his operations team, then all services shall cease until such time as that need has passed."

It appears to the Board that the following alternative services are available:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/forum/87-layout-topics/

It is anticipated that services will be restored during November 2014.

Signed By Order of The Management

*******************************************************************************************************************
On a dark, damp evening the final movement of rolling stock comprises nothing more than a humble shunter and a single wagon of china clay

i-hJ8fWwv-L.jpg

There may be few clues in this view but all the rolling stock has now been packed away and all the road vehicles likewise.  Only the semi-permanently fixed people will remain although they will have a long wait for the next train.  One couple have already collapsed in shock which was unfortunately not noticed by the photographer!

i-Hd3HDth-L.jpg

In a rare and specially-authorised move only permitted because there is nothing else on the line the class 08 "gronk" propels the final wagon-load of white gold towards the "unloading point" - the bathroom window through which most rolling stock transfers between layout and indoor storage take place!

i-TPfJcmW-L.jpg

Penhayle Bay will return.  Watch this space.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Penhayle Bay will return.  Watch this space.

Oh those so important final words, thank goodness - what would we do without our regular fix of Penhayle Bay... I've also seen what you posted on your Beer and Branksome thread, so will look forward to seeing whatever is revealed in November or thereabouts. All the best in the meantime.

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

When one leaves a project unattended for several months, and bearing in mind that this is an outdoor layout, what does one expect to find upon returning to it?

Since my last post in this topic I have spent almost thee months in the UK as part of my long service leave.  This meant there was no-one home at all for some of that time should anything untoward occur.  

While the house has been occupied on and off for most of the past two months no-one has been out to the railway. I have only received messages that "it looks OK" tempered with some reports of occasional wild weather.

Today, 36 hours after arriving back, I took a first look outside.  

The engineer's inspection saloon (the first new purchase from the trip to be railed and run) was unable to make much progress:

i-kkLkDGT-L.jpg

All tracks are blocked by leaf litter and other debris which has accumulated in my absence.  This isn't too bad for three months; it's normally cleaned off as required rather than accumulating.

i-SvXqx2P-L.jpg

Further up the line however there is more large debris probably as a result of the recent storm which blew through.  All of this should lift off without causing damage but will take a few hours to clear.

i-z3zQngQ-L.jpg

Wheal Julia mine has had some unwanted attention from slugs.  They've eaten the printed side of the brick chimney!  Again this is frustrating more than anything since it should be a quick job to replace it and I have plenty of the required materials in stock.  It's a timely reminder of why I don't use card models though!

i-pc76f4m-L.jpg

Most of the rest of the layout is fine and just requires dusting down and the odd spot of leaf litter removed.  The vacuum cleaner will do most of the work in minutes and I can come along behind and patch up / repair anything which is required.

The inspection saloon is a new arrival.  Also new are some wagons to strengthen existing rakes as reissues of previous releases have become available.  The CDA rake will go up from 14 to 20 and the weathered "unsilver bullets" from 5 to 8.  The new wagons are seen in as-delivered condition alongside the dries.  The CDAs will receive heavy clay weathering in due course; the tanks don't need anything more as Kernow MRC who commission them has already specified magnificent and realistic weathering from the factory.

i-4PWDBv3-L.jpg

What else will be new for 2014-5?

Not very much, actually.  There's a NSE Mk1 CK to insert into the rake boosting that from 9 to 10 coaches when all are in use.  New yard lighting will go in at the previously unlit Ponsangwyn thanks to Keytes and their stand at RM Web Live.    A new platform building will be kit-built for Treheligan's down island platform to replace the somewhat amateur scratch-built effort which has never been my finest piece of work.   Everything else which came back in the bag is destined for the new project when ever that gets re-started.  

Welcome back Penhayle Bay - now where's that vacuum cleaner?  ;)

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

When one leaves a project unattended for several months, and bearing in mind that this is an outdoor layout, what does one expect to find upon returning to it?

Since my last post in this topic I have spent almost thee months in the UK as part of my long service leave.  This meant there was no-one home at all for some of that time should anything untoward occur.  

While the house has been occupied on and off for most of the past two months no-one has been out to the railway. I have only received messages that "it looks OK" tempered with some reports of occasional wild weather.

Today, 36 hours after arriving back, I took a first look outside.  

The engineer's inspection saloon (the first new purchase from the trip to be railed and run) was unable to make much progress:

i-kkLkDGT-L.jpg

All tracks are blocked by leaf litter and other debris which has accumulated in my absence.  This isn't too bad for three months; it's normally cleaned off as required rather than accumulating.

i-SvXqx2P-L.jpg

Further up the line however there is more large debris probably as a result of the recent storm which blew through.  All of this should lift off without causing damage but will take a few hours to clear.

i-z3zQngQ-L.jpg

Wheal Julia mine has had some unwanted attention from slugs.  They've eaten the printed side of the brick chimney!  Again this is frustrating more than anything since it should be a quick job to replace it and I have plenty of the required materials in stock.  It's a timely reminder of why I don't use card models though!

i-pc76f4m-L.jpg

Most of the rest of the layout is fine and just requires dusting down and the odd spot of leaf litter removed.  The vacuum cleaner will do most of the work in minutes and I can come along behind and patch up / repair anything which is required.

The inspection saloon is a new arrival.  Also new are some wagons to strengthen existing rakes as reissues of previous releases have become available.  The CDA rake will go up from 14 to 20 and the weathered "unsilver bullets" from 5 to 8.  The new wagons are seen in as-delivered condition alongside the dries.  The CDAs will receive heavy clay weathering in due course; the tanks don't need anything more as Kernow MRC who commission them has already specified magnificent and realistic weathering from the factory.

i-4PWDBv3-L.jpg

What else will be new for 2014-5?

Not very much, actually.  There's a NSE Mk1 CK to insert into the rake boosting that from 9 to 10 coaches when all are in use.  New yard lighting will go in at the previously unlit Ponsangwyn thanks to Keytes and their stand at RM Web Live.    A new platform building will be kit-built for Treheligan's down island platform to replace the somewhat amateur scratch-built effort which has never been my finest piece of work.   Everything else which came back in the bag is destined for the new project when ever that gets re-started.  

Welcome back Penhayle Bay - now where's that vacuum cleaner?   ;)

Welcome home Rick. Look forward to seeing more reports once the leaf blower has done its job. I don't use card or brickpaper for the reasons you have mentioned, although silverfish rather than slugs are the problem round here. Friends tell me they are attracted by the glue rather than the paper itself.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It's that time of year Jeff ;)

I had a few quite interesting trips over the Southern recently.  After  along warm summer the British weather changed overnight into winter with a sudden dump of leaves onto the rails and overnight rain turning them into goo.  One late evening trip from Portsmouth to Brighton was delayed by half an hour over and above its 90 minute timing due to repeated loss of traction on wet leaves.  Starting was erratic and stopping very cautious indeed.  

There was a lot of overnight and some daytime activity by the MPVs based at Horsham.  With the parents' home backing onto the west Coastway line I was able to confirm several trips were run most nights in attempts to keep the rails in good order.

Penhayle Bay will be up and running just a soon as I can manage it and I hope to have the usual early summer gathering here in due course before the weather gets too hot.

• Like 2