Penhayle Bay

Gwiwer

• RMweb Premium

The late and, for many enthusiasts, great Cecil J Allen always described Warships as having "the most ungainly bulbous front ends" and disliked their appearance though was suitably impressed by their ability to perform.  Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and while I don't necessarily find them objects of great beauty either there is something about that shape .....

I also grew up with them.  The throb of the engine and the distinctive hydraulic transmission, the large cast nameplates (though unlike their Western and Hymek cousins they never had cast numbers / numberplates) and the connection with my home which was then just west of Penzance probably fixed them in my mind.  I had seen them all before I ever saw a blue one.  They weren't as reliable as anyone would have liked and they delayed passengers all too frequently with minor niggles which could be sorted out at the platform or total failures which required rescue or the abandonment of the train in favour of a later one.  They were sometimes paired for a bit more power but also at times for insurance in case one didn't last the course.  The early NBL types, now usually referred to as class 41 though they never were that in their day and were always "600s', were even less reliable and became confined to Cornwall.  Those of course had a totally different body to the 800s.

They were probably the Castles, Halls and Manors of the diesel-hydraulic era where Westerns were the Kings and Hymeks the Granges.  

To each their own and I don't propose at any stage to attempt conversion of those who find them unattractive, uninteresting or otherwise are simply not bothered.  Personally I don't see what's so special about the LNER steam stud even if one did achieve (and still retains) the world steam speed record.  I'm not a fan of A4 styling which is heresy to a good many folks for whom Sir Nigel le Duck could have done no wrong!

• Like 6

Personally, I find the Warships to be ugly, but the Bachmann models are very good and capture their character well.

Modelling the Southern Region as I do, I had to have one Warship myself. I also have two Westerns,for which I have no excuse, except to say I think they are the most attractive diesel ever. Ironically, there was an original styling proposal for the Warships that would have seen them more closely resembling the Westerns.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Westerns had regular duties onto the SR in several areas over their time so there is no need to excuse yourself on that score Jeff.  They are very attractive and certainly compensate for what the Warships lack.  All the main-line hydraulic classes had their own unique style with only the 600s and 6300s even resembling each other.  You could argue that for many other types as well though a 47, 50, 56 and 57 are all fundamentally similar in appearance as are the 37 and 40 and the 26, 27 and 33.  Can of worms?  Maybe.  But the WR had style (even if it wasn't always a style we liked) right up to the end.

• Like 1

Many thanks for your ongoing interest, comments and, it appears, your first post on RMweb as opposed to being an observer.

It's good to hear from people who have derived satisfaction and enjoyment from Penhayle Bay; positive feedback is also always welcomed though I take note of and learn from the comments pointing out errors or inaccuracies too.

Ironically, there was an original styling proposal for the Warships that would have seen them more closely resembling the Westerns.

Indeed there was - they would have looked like mini Westerns, but slightly more rounded in places where the Westerns are angular. However, the proposal was rejected and it was decreed that the Warships would be scaled down versions of the V200s from which they were originally developed.

Unfortunately, the V200 design did not shrink down to the British loading gauge without taking away their imposing nature, and when full yellow ends came into being, while other hydraulic classes, especially the Hymeks wore them well, the Warships, out of all BRs locos were perhaps the class treated most unkindly with their application, emphasising the bulbous nose and not blending in with the body at all

• RMweb Premium

A warm evening followed tonight's sunset with plenty of activity and packed beaches.

i-3N8hxj2-L.jpg

i-H3nhMSK-L.jpg

i-vXrFrQh-L.jpg

The eagle-eyed among you might spot not only the newly-arrived Warship leading the parcels in the lower shot but a newly-arrived B-T Models (ex-Base Toys) item in the middle view; the Bristol MW bus is another new release just arrived.

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Unfortunately, the V200 design did not shrink down to the British loading gauge without taking away their imposing nature

Very occasionally I am lucky to see one (there are a few still knocking about in the Fatherland) on my commute and "imposing" is very apt, both in looks and sound.

Back on topic, I too will be sorry to see the end of this layout, which captures many of the features that make West Country railways so appealing.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Looking at those last 3 photos I cannot imagine how hard it is going to be to walk away from this mighty impressive layout.

The layout is a work of art.

• RMweb Premium

From what I am hearing "warm" is a slight understatement today.

37C forecast with an overnight low of just 27C. Covers will be on today to prevent heat-related distortion.

Yes, we spent part of yesterday evening at Brighton Beach (Melbourne) eating fish and chips with DougN, Mrs DougN, and the two young DougNs (Master and Miss), watching the sunset as it cooled off marginally. Still an uncomfortable night and not good railway modelling weather.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Which reminds me that as the sun is now creeping over to the railway side of the house it is time to apply the thick poly-block covers before any damage is done.

• RMweb Premium

The good folk of Treheligan and Penhayle Bay noticed some new posters going up today.

Upon reading them great concern arose.  Frustration, even anger, was evident.  No-one had thought that one day their little train service might be no more .....

i-jS2gJg6-L.jpg

i-F7jcRZF-L.jpg

i-tLzmFPb-L.png

Some people even wondered where they might direct their objections.  Others set about launching nationwide a "Save Penhayle Bay" campaign.  

The Chief operating Officer is always willing to receive objections to this closure with several already made.  He is also willing to discuss suitable terms for the collection and removal of the railway though not of the rolling stock.  Currently there are several options one of which might see the entire railway (less two small pieces which will be coming to London) removed to rural Western Australia for future operation.  The Leader of the Opposition has also determined that if space be found in London such as a garden shed suitable for storage that more, or even all, of the major scenes might yet survive though not in working order.

It certainly isn't all over bar the shouting.  No corpulent female has yet been engaged to give forth song.

• Like 14

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Despite suggesting to myself that I wasn't going to do anything over and above keeping the layout running until April fate played its hand.  I managed to burn out a point motor without even trying and as luck would have it it is the facing point directing trains to the Down Main or Down Loop platforms at Treheligan so not a hardly-used yard connection I could abandon.

The motor is tight under the board and above the control panel area so was a very tight fit but luckily I had one spare in stock and the connections were push-fitted not soldered making swapping easier than it otherwise might have been.

That being done I strolled down to the far end of the layout where the sky-coloured panels have become dislodged over time through natural movement and found one was completely adrift.  So a few screws and a lot of filler later it went back to its original position - in fact slightly better than that - and the whole thing has a coat of new blue paint.  By 4th February's open day it might even have some clouds!  All in all a fair amount of work I hadn't intended over a few days.

While I was at it I added some green weathering powders to the clay dries roof at Carreglyp; the end wall has always had moss and lichen represented but not the roof until now.

i-qVcpzrf-L.jpg

I cleaned and tidied up some of the smaller scenes in order to record them in their final condition for posterity including the hay field

i-FR6wZmJ-L.jpg

St. Teccan's Well and ruined chapel

i-LjK8b7c-L.jpg

The road accident where a van driver has come down the hill too fast and missed the bend at the bottom striking the railway boundary wall

i-xczH64B-L.jpg

The coastal path including a typical set of steps to gain height over the clifftops

i-n7bNjWv-L.jpg

An area of Cornish heathland with gorse, a distant mine engine house and even a kangaroo in the scrub as a nod to the layout being located in Australia

i-7Chs6XQ-L.jpg

Men Tor rises high above Penhayle Bay.  The lower slopes are grazed by sheep but the higher rough pastures are inhabited only by the occasional walkers 

i-3hvztXs-L.jpg

She doesn't like being photographed so this is a very rare view of Penhayle Bay's resident mermaid.

i-pzJWmS4-L.jpg

• Like 15

Personally, I find the Warships to be ugly, but the Bachmann models are very good and capture their character well.

Modelling the Southern Region as I do, I had to have one Warship myself. I also have two Westerns,for which I have no excuse, except to say I think they are the most attractive diesel ever. Ironically, there was an original styling proposal for the Warships that would have seen them more closely resembling the Westerns.

Both Warship's and Western's bring back fond memories of visiting Paddington in the late 60's / early 70's, especially when in the early coloured liveries. Exotic locos going to exotic places (well most places are exotic when compared to Watford).

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Meanwhile on the main line more action from those bulbous and arguably ugly Warships as D865 "Zealous" was rostered the china clay duty

i-WqPJZT2-L.jpg

i-ZwP8JZN-L.jpg

Down at Ponsangwyn (where the hastily-renovated sky described above can be seen) a trio of hydraulics was found on shed with the duty shunter tucked away in the clay sidings headshunt all beneath the brooding ruins of Wheal Julia mine.

i-QvFMRjH-L.jpg

D838 "Rapid" is hoping to live up to its name while a pair of class 22s await their next duties

i-PCVgphw-L.jpg

D6315 receives some attention

i-drjC7qF-L.jpg

A different angle on the headshunt showing the shunter with a single clay wagon alongside the stone pier and with a small sandy beach beyond.  Those enamel signs on the goods shed have faded nicely under natural light since first being applied a few years ago.

i-QSXqGsz-L.jpg

Something must have been moving because a cut of vans has appeared alongside the goods shed.  

i-v2PGtXX-L.jpg

There's more to come from Penhayle Bay despite having only 88 days to go until complete closure.  Anyone coming for the open-house on Saturday 4th February?

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Breaking News (if only  :sungum: )

attachicon.gifRichard Beeching Penhayle Railway.pdf

The Chief Operating Officer and staff of Penhayle Bay Railway take due note of the aforementioned decision contained in the letter reproduced below.  

Alternatives to the closure are being investigated though none has yet offered a satisfactory outcome.  The Chief Operating Officer advises that he will no longer have access to the Railway after 22nd April 2017 and with respect to the document below is not in a position to guarantee compliance with the decision made.  He remains open to suitable offers which would result in the Railway remaining in operable condition in whole or in part.

post-3305-0-45522400-1485316092_thumb.png

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Okay the letter was just a bit of fun, but what did surprise me was that I could go to the ORR website, download a letter with the logo, stamp, text and author's signature all copy/paste-able into a blank document. Someone with different intentions could make hay...! Surely an uneditable format, even a .jpeg, would be more secure.

Anyway, I really do hope Rick that you are able to keep some of the layout's "scenes" and cameos for reuse. They are a superb inspiration, my personal favourites being Ponsangwyn shed and the clay dries.

• RMweb Gold

Both Warship's and Western's bring back fond memories of visiting Paddington in the late 60's / early 70's, especially when in the early coloured liveries. Exotic locos going to exotic places (well most places are exotic when compared to Watford).

To me going from Reading to Paddington or Waterloo was quite normal when in the early sixties I had to go to Finsbury Park that seemed exotic. I suppose seeing the first Western in Reading station it did seem a bit exotic rather a strange colour at the time. I suppose I didn't appreciate the Warships as they were replacing the  Steam Engines by the time the Westerns arrived I was more used to the idea. Besides the three Bs Beer,Bikes and Birds was drawing my attention.

Nice to see you still doing bits and pieces on the layout.

Don

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Okay the letter was just a bit of fun, but what did surprise me was that I could go to the ORR website, download a letter with the logo, stamp, text and author's signature all copy/paste-able into a blank document. Someone with different intentions could make hay...! Surely an uneditable format, even a .jpeg, would be more secure.

Anyway, I really do hope Rick that you are able to keep some of the layout's "scenes" and cameos for reuse. They are a superb inspiration, my personal favourites being Ponsangwyn shed and the clay dries.

I did wonder about the security of ORR's intellectual property but the seal would be a 3-D embossing on a real letter, surely.

As for keeping the scenes much will depend upon our future home and we shall know where that is, and how much space there isn't, in around five weeks from now. What I can take I will.  What I can't I hope can be securely stored at a family home in regional Victoria until such time as a better future can be found for it.  The clay dries is a favourite identified by many people and with the recent photos of Ponsangwyn also attracting the attention of the most senior members of our hobby I certainly hope that doesn't end up in the skip.  

I surprised myself at how little work was required to simply brush off some dust and spider-threads then apply a little weathering powder to good effect.  Natural sunlight helps with the photos of course and that has always been a variable.  Ponsagwyn can only be photographed well with near-overhead sunlight.  Any earlier and it's in deep shadow; much later and the only good views are against the lowering sun.  I thought the light looked good, grabbed a series of shots and what you see posted are the better ones.

• Like 5