MI in BRM - Landscape or portrait?

Andy Y

MI in BRM - Landscape or portrait?  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer MI print to be landscape or portrait?

• Existing landscape format
    • Portrait form to match other magazine content

• RMweb Premium

Thanks John,

Just to eliminate any confusion normal magazine pages are portrait format whereas turning the image through 90 degrees as I've done in the last printed MIs is known as a landscape page.

Red Face time, I did of course mean I prefer the Landscape format. Pity I engaged the keyboard before the brain was in gear ! :O

• RMweb Gold

Hello Andy

The landscape format is right for the amount of photos. If it was just one or two, then changing direction would be a bit of a pain - but for your normal content, it's well worth turning! Thanks for your hard work on this venture.

Brian Macdermott

Looking at the voting and comments so far it looks like it's around 4:1 in favour of landscape. Therefore we'll do a mixture and every 5th page will be a portrait one. ;) (Joke!)

Not as daft as it sounds actually if the bulk of the text is presented on a portrait page and the following images are in captioned landscape format.

I will ask though if the whole of the April BRM can be printed upside down and bound on the right hand side as you look at the upside-down cover. Will anyone notice? ;)

As most of the above: - Landscape is the 'usual' photographic format, so it follows that that should be the format for a predominantly photographic publication...

Of course we could take the alternative view that it is MI that is the right way round and the main BRM part of the mag that is wrong. How about printing it in landscape orientation bound on the left (short) side... :blum:

• RMweb Premium

Landscape for 'views'; portrait (as you so rightly said Andy) for 'face on' shots and some others that need that orientation (signals, tall stuff etc.)

I really like the MI as a supplement idea. It means you could maybe cut it up (argggghhhh) and take it to your modelling work area without folding up the mag; (I really like to pass on my mags in good condition). Alternatively you would have a great separate resource without having to plough through back copies of the mag (if you still have them)

P @ 36E

One other point to bear in mind is that it is clearly simpler to produce both versions of the magazine (i.e. paper and online) in the same orientation. And since I'd guess most people viewing the electronic version either have a landscape screen or a tablet/phone that can easily be rotated, landscape clearly works best for the electronic version (the change of orientation of Railway Herald was one of the major factors in my deciding not to take out a subscription). Given the various artistic arguments that have also been put forwards for landscape, I'd vote for landscape too.

(Maybe you can persuade the rest of BRM to follow suit!)

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

It was intersting to see the experiment in the January BRM but I think it proved the people who voted on here knew their stuff!

The small landscape photos 2 to a portrait page were too small to have the MI "impact" and the two page spreads are ruined by the virtual bum crack caused by the binding.

Hopefully experiment over and back to landscape in future Andy?

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

There have been some comments about 'landscape' being the natural shape for railway photographs. I think it's certainly the common one, but as Andy's shot of Leamington demonstrates an alternative angle is possible. I've started to wonder if the composition of a photo is dictated more by the photographers preference than any intrinsic demands of the subject. I took a look at my small collection of landscape photos online to see how I approached a subject that by definition usually gets the 'landscape' format. I was quite surprised to see that those shot 'portrait' outnumber those shot 'landscape'.

Apologies for the tangent, but it suggests that preference may play a part as well as practicality.

I think you're right Neil and certainly in landscape photography I often veer away from landscape format as it looks too traditional. However there's often a pressure (from the model) to record its linear format due to the lack of relevant vertical content. It's a pleasure when I can break away from that and concentrate on verticals and lines which lead the eye. An example here from an old sea dog.

BHR_3sm.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Andy, I'd like to say the excellent photo in the post above just goes to prove its horses for courses. I agree the linear form of most trains, especially the full length main line variety, naturally draws the preference for 'Landscape' format and in most cases that's my definite preference, but, where there is more vertical 'substance' to the view being photographed, then 'portrait' can be very effective.

Regards,

John

• 4 weeks later...

One other point to bear in mind is that it is clearly simpler to produce both versions of the magazine (i.e. paper and online) in the same orientation. 

Not necessarily using the latest versions tools that Adobe supplies it takes just a little longer to format for both. There was a huge outcry when the Model Railway Hobbyist (electronic) only changed from landscape to portrait. It took a day to find and implement a solution to do both to keep both the "I only read this on a tablet" and "I only read this on my 24" monitor" crowds happy) - I download both versions I for the iPad & one for when I want to read on my 27" monitor. 

Before acquiring the iPad I printed out the MI's to read on the bus/train and it was a pain to read. So I vote portrait.

• 2 months later...

Hi Andy, I have just caught this one and for me the new format of Landscape and NO spine impeading the pic is great as I save a lot of these pics into an A4 clear binder and this is far better that and other Mag can do. PLUS the pics quality is now the BEST.

Cheers Andy, (yes another one,)

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived