MI in BRM - Landscape or portrait?

Andy Y

MI in BRM - Landscape or portrait?  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer MI print to be landscape or portrait?

• Existing landscape format
    • Portrait form to match other magazine content

When I've formatted MI into the print version for BRM I'd retained its original landscape format. Opinion seems divided on this; do people dislike rotating a mag to look at some content? Some readers recognise that it displays the image well without the spine interrupting the image but some feel it makes it more difficult to hold the magazine rigid whilst reading. Some just like it because it's different.

I'm not precious about it but at least it's a distinguishing attribute but I'm happy to take input from people by reply and/or through the poll option.

Your input could determine in which of the two forms the next MI appears.

• RMweb Premium

Hello Andy,

From my viewpoint Portrait is always preferable for a 'wide' image for the very reason you've identified - it displays the full image without the interruption of the mag spine.

It seems to be a prime example of Murphy's law that important detail is lost/ obscured in the spine fold when a wide image is spread across two pages, especially where perfect binding is used.

Pictures just don't look 'right' to me with the page fold down the middle.

Regards,

John

From my viewpoint Portrait is always preferable for a 'wide' image for the very reason you've identified -

Thanks John,

Just to eliminate any confusion normal magazine pages are portrait format whereas turning the image through 90 degrees as I've done in the last printed MIs is known as a landscape page.

Landscape for me.

• images are not split
  • it's 'different' and makes it stand out.
  • it keeps it as a separate identity
  • It keeps your, what are arguably the best photographs in any model railway mag, in the same format as the online version. i.e. similar brand identity.

Conflicts of general landscape page format with photos that really do justify being in large portrait format would be quite rare I suspect.

That's true as our subject is generally very linear but sometimes a portrait shot just looks more 'right'.

P_sepia.jpg

• RMweb Premium

I generally prefer Landscape format, and don't mind having to rotate the magazine, if necessary. However, that photo in post 11 is stunning in Portrait (it probably would be if it was rotated at 45 degrees to the page!). Which layout is it from, Andy?

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

I don't like turning a magazine or a book around, so I don't like landscape. I don't mind a photo across the middle of the centre pages (ie. with staples in the middle). Perhaps a link could be included for anyone who wants an electronic version of the photo?

CK, you cannot be serious!

Landscape makes sense. Most photographs are taken in this format, says he generalising, and with a digital or film SLR a conscious effort is required to go vertical. Rotating the printed page through 90 degrees is a small price to pay if an image is to be seen at its finest.

Chris

• RMweb Gold

Hi Andy,

The full A4 pictures are too large for comfortable viewing at normal reading distance of about 10". As printed now, they need to be held at arm's length for best effect, as a calendar for example. Some of them have been printed too large anyway, with jpeg artefacts visible (the Pempoul pictures for example).

My vote is for Portrait page printing, with the image sizes reduced to fit across half a page. i.e. maintaining the image aspect ratio as Landscape. Please don't split them across the binding which always spoils a picture, especially when perfect bound.

Those who want to see much larger images can always use the zoom function on the online version.

regards,

Martin.

Landscape generally works for me but Metr0Land also makes a very valid point about mixing orientation where appropriate. I also like the fact that it's different - it sets it apart from other mags as well as from the main BRM content. It helps give it that feel of something to keep.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks AJ427 - just to add a bit in the vein of 'I wish i'd thought of it when posting earlier'

Surely this is Modelling Inspiration therefore should be artistically led? How can we say it's only inspirational if it's landscape/portrait and never t'other?

• RMweb Premium

In my view photos which fit the page best in Landscape should be printed that way and those that are best in portrait should be printed that way.

Just don't allow any of them to go across two pages as it always spoils it.

I have not voted in the poll as you do not give the option to vote for printing photos the way they best fit the page!

Chris

If MI has to be incorporated into BRM it should be printed as portrait. GordonS is correct in saying that a full page landscape picture is to big to look at properly at normal reading distances. A half page landscape picture on a portrait page would be big enough. I help edit and do the layout for a magazine on mosaics, a truely visual medium and we very very rarely use a picture printed across two pages. Artists are probably even more fickle than modellers and thay are more than happy to have a landscape picture fill half a portait page and still appreciate all the detail that can be found in a mosaic.

If MI has to be produced as a landscape magazine then why not have it as a stand alone supplement bagged with BRM. At least you would not have a whole magazine to turn on its side to appreciate the fantastic pictures and layouts that MI is known for.

Archived