Crimson Thompson Suburban Coaches about to be released.

Andy Y

Rails phoned this afternoon saying they have already despatched their first shipment of Thompson breaks to pre orders so my pre order will be available for collecting in 3 weeks.

• 3 weeks later...

... I hadn't realised how small runs are these days or how popular these more esoteric items can be. Having got round to sorting stock for the Middleton in Teesdale branch set, I set off looking and there are no crimson suburban brakes of either Thompson or Gresley flavours to be had anywhere. Any idea if there will be further runs of these?

• RMweb Gold

... I hadn't realised how small runs are these days or how popular these more esoteric items can be. Having got round to sorting stock for the Middleton in Teesdale branch set, I set off looking and there are no crimson suburban brakes of either Thompson or Gresley flavours to be had anywhere. Any idea if there will be further runs of these?

Hattons are showing the Thompson brake as available to pre-order. Am assuming it's more crimson ones as they aren't showing lined maroon available for pre-order.

Good news.BUT.......can anyone explain the £6 discrepancy in price between R 4576 and the other two? Quite frankly,I find that off-putting.

The non-corridor third is likely to be the most popular and they may have less of those (now) available and are pricing accordingly to keep balanced stock available. There's no point keeping them at the same price as the others if there's a likeliood of running out and not being able to sell as many of the others.

Hattons have said my three (Two Brakes and a compo.) will be arriving at their destination platform tomorrow. Later this morning actually as I've just looked at the clock!

You can always borrow mine Steve. Once I've fitted them up with some ABS bogies round some Masokits springythingies.

Porcy

Cutler - thanks for the heads up.... two brakes and 2 comps for me leaving a Gresley brake to find and convert to p/p and then I've got the Middleton branch set and one Stainmore set in place.

Mr Main... thats most kind of you, do you want to be the set that leaves Darlington or the one that leaves Kirkby Stephen? Btw when you do the bogie job do you fancy posting up a blow by blow illustrated account?

Cheers All

Steve

Good news.BUT.......can anyone explain the £6 discrepancy in price between R 4576 and the other two? Quite frankly,I find that off-putting.

Hattons always have run with variable pricing.

They honoured the pre delivery price for the second batch.

They announced the price increase on the remaing stock and did give notice of the increae.

The pre order price was/is available at a much later date than any other supplier that I can find.

Rather than find the price increase off-putting I find their attitude of fairness in keeping the original price for as long as possible commendable, particularly in these times where a lot of companies want to rip of the punter at any opportunity.

Bernard

• RMweb Premium

I wonder if Hornby have made an error of judgement with the production runs and not realised many people will want two brakes for each compo? This is always a difficult one to judge - with MK1s and MK2s you need fewer brakes but not some earlier stock such as these. With the Maunsells, they appear to have upped the number of brakes produced but perhaps in that case gone too far seeing as what is still available as opposed to what is not.

That's why I like Hornby's approach to producing coach packs with a full 3 or 4 car rake - you get everything in one go.

I wonder whether in this instance, the Compo. may prove most popular? Seen far and wide, they are excellent strengthening vehicles for all manner of services, look really different, and can turn up almost anywhere, even the S&D!!

(See previous threads!).

I have five at the moment....is it just me?

Cheers,

Peter C.

Managed to get my grubby little fingers on a 3rd and Lav Composite from The Signal Box in Rochester yesterday. No Brake 3rds though.

A few photos to add to the collection.

Nice clear lettering on the dimension plate:

post-3717-0-05266300-1353849699_thumb.jpg

post-3717-0-20530100-1353849741_thumb.jpg

The underframe:

post-3717-0-20949600-1353849760_thumb.jpg

post-3717-0-39820700-1353849787_thumb.jpg

On the roof the two little "Pips" are where the tank vent pipes are located. These are a hook shape and easily added from wire:

post-3717-0-32216100-1353849854_thumb.jpg

I really should have removed the coupling for this shot:

post-3717-0-97866600-1353849870_thumb.jpg

Nice! Sorry about the background though:

post-3717-0-39384000-1353849909_thumb.jpg

The printing of the window signage is extremely fine. Interestingly on my sample there are two extra holes in the bogie sideframes, presumably to fit alternative stepboards:

post-3717-0-01350500-1353849952_thumb.jpg

Last one:

post-3717-0-72737700-1353850022_thumb.jpg

Thanks to this thread I ordered my 3 (All Third, Compo and Brake) at 1500 yesterday, a full hour after the 1400 deadline for next day delivery. Yet all three still turned up here today!

Bravo to Hattons, excellent service yet again.

I'm getting a bit feed up of 'Hattons', Pre-ordered my Brakes and a Compo at the beginning. I'm still waiting....

I ordered mine at the same time as my mates, they all got theirs weeks ago and I'm still waiting.

Did you really order yours this week and receive them straight away?

I phoned Hattons earlier this week and they said they were waiting on new stock and confirmed my order was still on the system.

Not impressed,

Dave Franks

I'm getting a bit feed up of 'Hattons', Pre-ordered my Brakes and a Compo at the beginning. I'm still waiting....

I ordered mine at the same time as my mates, they all got theirs weeks ago and I'm still waiting.

Did you really order yours this week and receive them straight away?

I phoned Hattons earlier this week and they said they were waiting on new stock and confirmed my order was still on the system.

Not impressed,

Dave Franks

Dave,

Yes - I ordered my 3 on Thursday afternoon and they appeared Friday morning via Royal Mail Special Delivery. Depending on the delivery option, is it possible yours could still be in the post?

Archived