Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

RTR 00 Models Which Stand Out

robmcg

... the Bachmann V1/V3 2-6-2T.. a new chassis is long overdue...

The impatient among us have long ago stuffed a K3 chassis in.

Also a much modified 8F chassis to get a very nice P1 2-8-2T. (There's been a change of plot on this one. My O1 from a B1 with modified 8F chassis, now superseded by the Hornby RTR model imminently expected, what to do with the 8F chassis now carrying B1 cylinders and gear? Well it's obvious isn't it? Thompson over one weekend nipped into the works and modified a passing V1 in for overhaul with a spare ROD underframe diverted from the O1 conversions. And as it was his design it was automatically promoted to P1, the two barely surviving 2-8-2's became P10, just like their Pacific cousins. It is a Top Shed pet, used for working the heaviest ECS turns out of the terminus. With a new boiler pressed to his usual 225psi for secondary types, the resulting 35,000lb TE on an estimated 78 ton coupled axle load resulting in an adhesion factor of circa 4.7 makes this a very useful engine indeed.)

• RMweb Premium

Looks like this thread is going loco-centric.

I'd like to nominate a simple box bogie wagon - the Dapol IOA. One of those model releases that attracted relatively scant attenton - mainly for being a utilitarian part of the modern railway scene and not attracting too much interest - even from the modern modellers.'

I'm slowly building up a decent rake for my VQ train. (Two more from Ebay tonight!)

Cheers,

Mick

One loco that really impressed me when it appeared about 20(?) years ago was the Bachmann V1/V3 2-6-2T. IMHO a very good model of an extremely handsome prototype and a real godsend for many Eastern/Scottish modellers. To me, it still passes muster now, although a new chassis is long overdue.

My Dad has one and its a beautiful runner! I think with new handrails, lamp irons and smoke box door handles and it would be transformed.

• 2 weeks later...

We don't hear much mention of the Standard BR Riddles 4MT 2-6-4T., although I recall reading an article comparing the Bachmann version to the much admired Hornby Dublo model. Needless to say the Hornby model won on robustness, the Bachmann on detail.

Maybe the Bachmann version has been around so long we tend to forget it, but I bought a second-hand BR green 800135 recently and painted it black, weathered as per the sad last days of these locos which only lasted about 10 years.

So today it's a model which 'stands out'... I renumbered it 80132 which spent its last years at Salisbury, having been in Oswestry and the Midlands before that I think.

Not sure of suitable carriages so opted nostalgically for BR suburbans, as per the original Hornby sets of c1960

post-7929-0-60917100-1353729342.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Great thread this.

I agree with Horsetan on the Heljan hymek. Also the Bachmann warship has seriously stood the test of time. It may lack the refinement of recent tooling (including etched scavenger grilles) but the overall shape is very good, and captures the prototype well. It also performs impeccably and was the first of the fly wheeled motored Bachmann models that we all now take for granted. It is a testament to the original tool makers at Mainline that this excellent model is still in the catalogue.

I also love the new Bachmann peaks. Ok there are trivial errors, but the lack of complaints from us punters indicate that on the whole we are fundamentally happy with the model.

Bachmann's and Hornby freight stock is sublime. I love the new generation brake vans (why do I have so many of them!) Shark, SR pill box and BR standards - perhaps it was the enduring memory of those wonderful unfitted freights in the 1970s, the tail end of which seems to stick in the memory more than the midst.

I've always been a fan of the mundane, run of the mill battered freight, and Bachmann's recent weathered grey 16T minerals jar my memory back to the lines of rusting hulks I used to see littering the yards at Severn Tunnel. Most have spoken about locos here, but Bachmann's attention and perseverance with BR era freight stock should be applauded and strongly encouraged. Now where are those 21T hoppers guys?

Neil

I agree about the Bachman Standard 4MT tank. Mine has a smokebox door that opens revealing the blast pipe. Did that feature get removed later?

The one thing - to me - about almost all RTR is the poor quality of the buffers. I have replaced these (usually the Comet versions) on all my RTR. Is it just that in plastic they don't seem right or is it a detail that the manufacturers tend to ignore and use the same moulds for many different models?

Jack

The Bachmann 4MT 2-6-4t is ruined by the buffers - they are hideous and have appeared on other models too. Replace them and there's an instant difference.

I suspect it';s the result of the less evolved enthusiasts saying they want sprung buffers and someone decideing that these provided a good engineering compromise as oval buffers are harder to produce due to the need to keep them level, but Hornby did very well with their Class 50 buffers but, oddly, lost something when they made buffers for the 31 and 56.

I hadn't noticed the buffers but I have noticed that the front running plate has sat upwards on some shop ads for the recent versions of the BR Standard large tank, also that injector piping below the cab has not always been very well placed, by assembly or handling. It was the alignment of the front running plate and buffers which in poor models sat as a result too high and pointing upwards, which made me pleased to find a well-assembled one from 2002.

Ramsay's Catalogue notes that the original batches had opening smokebox doors but that Bachmann were worried about repairs to broken doors and fixed them thereafter. Oddly with the very nice 3MT tanks they have opening doors now, but with a misplaced tube plate instead of a blast pipe.

Steam: Bachmann A2, 60532 Blue Peter, Hornby L1 - also NER machines stand out as there isnt any....

Diesel: Bachmann class 37, Hornby class 50

Unit: Bachmann MPV - Realtrack 143/4 will be something for this, no one will apprciate a Pacer model....

Stock - Bachmann Mk. 1's. Hornby Gresley and Thompson stock.

Wagons - Bachmann RMC JNAs were brilliant and still are, Hornby seacows are another good model.

• RMweb Premium

I am a great fan of Bachmann's OBA/OCA family of LWB open wagons and also their van cousins. Quite often chuck in a bargain pack of four with a Hattons order for a little repainting and weathering threapy which addresses their only major fault - they are just too clean! They should be grotty in the extreme...

post-6910-0-37848200-1354376825_thumb.jpg

post-6910-0-55777900-1354376831_thumb.jpg

post-6910-0-39599100-1354377040_thumb.jpg

Got a few waiting to occupy some time over the dreaded iminent 'festive' period as well.

I'm surprised no one as yet has mentioned the Bachmann Dubdee, been around longer than the Standard 4 tank and it still would take a hell of a lot to improve it. Its robust as well - the one on New Hey originally appeared on Spotland Bridge in around 2001/2 (cant remember but its a long time ago!!) The only compalint I have is it doesnt clank.

post-6679-0-17434300-1354387797_thumb.jpg

Photo by our very own Andy Y

I think the Hornby Stanier Black 5 and Stanier 4P 2-6-4T, both models in my opinion have got the balance between robustness and detail spot on.

Yes they aren't perfect but from normal viewing distance they're damn close and you don't need a surgeon's hands to handle them ! In fact I've dropped both onto a table while putting them in or taking them out of the boxes and both came away without a scratch !

I'm surprised no one as yet has mentioned the Bachmann Dubdee ...

It may fly under the radar now, but on introduction immediately succeeded the Replica/Bachmann B1 as the best looking RTR OO steam model available, and far exceeded it in running quality. One of the comments I recall at the time was that only the best kit and scratch builders would be able to beat this, and it immediately appeared on appropriate OO exhibition layouts; even those that had hitherto had not admitted RTR, or only heavily modified specimens.

This was the first OO loco that I could show my continental cousins as worthy of comparison to what had long been available as standard in HO RTR. A lot of fuss is made over Hornby's MN introduction following the China move; for my money the WD was far more significant. Just what was required, an ordinary workaday freighter. The 16T minerals that followed sealed the deal. Still wish that Bachmann had retained the mechanism features of the WD generally on their 8 coupleds: two sprung driven axles either side of the geared axle especially.

Incidentally, despite all the pessimism in some quarters about the longevity of current models as compared to past 'robust and maintainable' H-D and Triang. My WD's run at double the weight they came out of the factory (mazak ballast out, lead in) and are still going as smoothly as ever on original equipment after near daily use for over ten years. Worn through some wiper tips, so had to solder on some replacement contacts is all. That's at about the same rate that old H-D and Triang chassis wore their wipers away, and also needed the same (well practised) repair. None of those older chassis started out life running as well as the WD, and after ten years pounding needed major repair, like rebushing of the chassis axle holes. The new product is superior...

Very interesting, the unsung WD 2-8-0, but I'm fond of passing express trains myself. The change in modelling standards for RTR 00 BR steam certainly was great after 2000-2001 even though at that stage I hadn't been near modelling for many years. I notice that weathered WD 2-8-0s are quite rare in for sale ads.

I agree Alan the Black 5 and variants is rarely remarked-upon, and the variations well done. Having just bought volumes 1 and 2 of 'The Book of the Black Five LMR 4-6-0s' by Irwell Press, covering the first 75 and subsequent 150 engines, the variations were many; swapping of boilers and tenders was regular!

also NER machines stand out as there isnt any....

I'm happy to keep it that way too! It means that NER layouts are often very well thought out and, since locos require an investment of time, they all have purpose and seem to fit the scene better. :)

• RMweb Premium

I hear that NER locos only really work well in P4 (with rubber springing and Dynadrive). Oh, and N - they work well in N too (with no springing and Tendadrive). Plenty of choice then and I'm not sure what the problem is.

Meanwhile, back on topic, although the Mainline NER class E1 tank caused paroxysms of joy when it was first released, it's seems to have faded into the background over the subsequent 36 years or so. A pity as it's still one of the prettiest mouldings around and deserved a better chassis long ago. Given the number that Bachmann must have sold and its age, that's probably not going to happen now (so it's back to the rubber pads).

I hear that NER locos only really work well in P4 (with rubber springing and Dynadrive). Oh, and N - they work well in N too (with no springing and Tendadrive). Plenty of choice then and I'm not sure what the problem is.

I'm not sure what you're on about!

The J72 moulding is still pretty good - if you refine it and source a new chassis, it really exploits the body to its full potential.

• RMweb Premium

A mention for an old model that I have had a bit of a reaquaintance with recently, the Lima Class 31. Been buying a few up lately very cheaply, strip and repaint, fit some better couplings and spung buffers (ironically from the Hornby 31 as it happens, readily available as spares) and it comes out pretty good.

This was the first one I did a few weeks ago and have been quietly adding further examples to the workbench queue at no more than twenty quid a time ever since:

post-6910-0-53287700-1354632807_thumb.jpg

Just wish the handrails were available sensibly as spares, they do appear on Ebay from time to time but keep going for eyewatering silly money!!!

Lovely to see moden modelling being done without great expense.

For Tren, .. here is a pic I made of a Hornby Black 5 a few years ago... indeed rarely remarked on how good these models are. but that was sometimes true of the prototype too.

post-7929-0-63848200-1354677995.jpg

Rob

I'd go along with the Bachmann Unrebuilt Patriot/Baby Scot. The model captures the proportions very well. The Fairburn 2-6-4t is a very decent effort,too - so long as you don't spend too much time looking at the chimney. The incorrect parallel sides really jar with me.

DR

Archived