Streak Brace

Andy Y

Dwight D Eisenhower is just about to be reunited with its tender at Holgate Depot, York as I type this.

No. 9 has been performing pilot duties today which presented this low-key photo opportunity.

1a.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Did they both arrive today? It was pitch black when I went and came back yesterday so I couldn't see what was in the yard.

I honestly couldn't say, No.9 was shuffling about outside the Great Hall late this morning and when I went back over to the car park this afternoon I spotted DDE across at the depot and guessed it would be worth a nosey.

Just a shame that the weather wasn't brighter hence the dreary snaps.

I honestly couldn't say, No.9 was shuffling about outside the Great Hall late this morning and when I went back over to the car park this afternoon I spotted DDE across at the depot and guessed it would be worth a nosey.

Just a shame that the weather wasn't brighter hence the dreary snaps.

60008 arrived yesterday from Shildon on a low loader, 60009 has been at York since 27th October. Half way there to the full line up now :sungum:

Made a (very) brief stop at Shildon when passing last weekend to see DDE and DoC. Somewhat contrasting cosmetic appearances but I suspect not a lot in it mechanically...

60008 arrived yesterday from Shildon on a low loader

Wasn't the plan at one time to move her by rail from Shildon to York, with a Deltic (KOYLI?) suggested as motive power? What caused the change to road transport?

[or am I mixing it up with an intended move for DoC??]

Wasn't the plan at one time to move her by rail from Shildon to York, with a Deltic (KOYLI?) suggested as motive power? What caused the change to road transport?

[or am I mixing it up with an intended move for DoC??]

I think it was, they certainly did some runs at Shildon to try it out, maybe they decided such a long move after 40years of very little was not a good idea, they would have to take most of the motion down to prevent it running hot.

yeah, so whats the deal here? is one wrong or was there different variations?

When 8,9 and 10 were together at Shildon for the night shoot, a few of us noticed they all had different front ends. 8 was repainted in the States, 9 has obviously had several repaints in this country since 196X and No; 10 is the only one to still show its genuine 1966 paintwork.

Some photos appeared on Facebook of No;8 at York of the rub down started - there is some bad platework underneath - less than 1/16" thick with holes - goes to show those who thought 8 was in better condition were not right. Fingers crossed both 8 and 10 will look good as new next year.

Yup, work's started on No.10.

DoC1.jpg

Unless there were any variations in the curve of the lining and the black of the smokebox door before being taken out of service I would think that 8 and 10 are the most correct.

DoC1.jpg

Unless there were any variations in the curve of the lining and the black of the smokebox door before being taken out of service I would think that 68 and 10 are the most correct.

Hello all,

did anyone get a photo of the three A4s lined up so that all of the front ends are able to be seen?

No.10 was repainted at Crewe IIRC, Would Crewe have got it right? No.8 I don't know, but it has been repainted in the U.S. No.9 has been repainted a few times but was bought from B.R. So No.9 may be the best one to look at for the shape of the black and the lining?

AndyY I didn't know that that many A4s had been built!

OzzyO.

So No.9 may be the best one to look at for the shape of the black and the lining?

I don't think it is - TomF and I had a good look at it at the NRM a month or so ago and something doesn't look right about it.

I don't think it is - TomF and I had a good look at it at the NRM a month or so ago and something doesn't look right about it.

Hello James,

after looking in some of my books on A4s, I would say that 8 & 9 look wrong. No.8 is a bit on the angler side and No.9 does not have enough black. So it looks like No.10 looks to be the most correct one. Now that is ironic as she's going to painted back into blue.

OzzyO.

When we lined up 8, 9 & 10 (and I'll try to post a pic later), all three are different. Peter Walker brought a photo of Bittern and Kingfisher lined up at Aberdeen Ferryhill in 1966 and both of them are different too. It may depend on whether they were Doncaster or Darlington jobs and also down to the individual painter. I have a colleague looking up the official paint diagrams in Search Engine so we can ascertain the official line. No.8 was repainted in the USA in 1984after nearly 20 years outside, so that is the US interpretation of BR livery.

No doubt in my mind. Studying photographs from David Mcintosh's excellent pictorial reference (Mallard & The A4 Class), 60008 is wrong, 60009 is very, very wrong, and 60010 is more or less bob on for the parabolic shape.

Undoubtedly it's not going to be absolutely identical, A4 to A4, but the differences where they are on each engine are minimal, and the parabolic curves are at least round. 60009's lining out is very odd indeed - more of a point than a curve.

There's lot of photographs of 60009 in various forms throughout RCTS 2A, Yeadon's Register and Mallard & the A4 Class, but none show anything like 60009's current lining out.

• RMweb Gold

From a picture of Mallard I took in 1961, I would say that 10 has the nearest curve to that one. 8 is slightly off but 9 is nothing like right. It looks different from a shot of it I took in 2008 which, although the viewing angle is different, looks closer to the 1960s shots.

• RMweb Gold

Although I'm in no way any kind of an expert on A4s, I seem to remember being told once that the curve of the black/lining/livery colour (not just the horrible BR green) should reflect the curve of the front end of the loco, thus making DoC the correct one.

Archived