Hornby Magazine OO Gauge Brake Tender

DapolDave

If ever there was an item of rolling stock that lay true the adage, "to make an accurate model, base it on a prototype photograph taken during your modelling period", the DBT is it.

If you want an accurate model you have to really choose a specific prototype from your chosen era ie a specific number from a specific diagram. My first BT was second hand (RTR), so I have re-numbered and super-detailed, making notes as I went on how to improve upon the next kit in terms of a decent layout model.

Having said the above, the Hornby Mag version still has problems with it - which is a shame in this day and age of improved accuracy in 4mm.

• 1 month later...

Had a good look at the model on display on the Hornby mag stand at the GCR model event last weekend.

Looked stunning to me.!!

But I did overhear a conversation that went something like. "The delays are caused by it keeps having to be returned for rectification."

I think I would be happy with how it was on the stand..... !!!!

Had a good look at the model on display on the Hornby mag stand at the GCR model event last weekend.

Looked stunning to me.!!

But I did overhear a conversation that went something like. "The delays are caused by it keeps having to be returned for rectification."

I think I would be happy with how it was on the stand..... !!!!

I know what you mean, pretty immaculate paint job and nicely applied transfers can lead anyone astray :mosking:

BUT. I would have thought that Hornby Mag, as subject matter experts (SMEs), would have gotten it right first time - if not then, perhaps they should be happy (perhaps even grateful) for the free feedback, or in some cases, free 'consultancy' offered by some of the people on forums like RMW.

I have heard that Chinese manufacturers 'interpret' drawings and specs, so therefore the commissioning organisation/customer (in this case Hornby Mag.) should as SME's have a tighter rein on China in terms of specs and contractual T&Cs.

In short Hornby Mag have nothing to moan about :pardon:  - lost sales through inaccuracy would be worse - surely?

I have heard that Chinese manufacturers 'interpret' drawings and specs, so therefore the commissioning organisation/customer (in this case Hornby Mag.) should as SME's have a tighter rein on China in terms of specs and contractual T&Cs.

And each time a sample is rejected, I suspect it can take months before a re vamped sample is sent again.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Ayr shed in August 1967 (colour).  Use in Scotland seemed very much a rarity?  Or just not recorded?

One of the strange shaped Scottish rarities. Note where the builders plate is and the foot boards.

Might even be this one:

https://flic.kr/p/dEkyjk

P

Edited by Porcy Mane

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I've come a bit late to this but have decided I would like one of these.

The pre-ordering process evidently requires an email including a reference number for the version required.

I don't have the edition of the mag in which these were supposed to appear and can't find the info on-line.

Can anyone advise?

Thanks

John

Perhaps just email Hornby Mag and ask for the details...???

I have one on order, but cant find my email, I've had two computers since the tender was announced.....3 years ago now. But 3 years isn't long these days I suppose.

I find that after a couple of years my excitement and anticipation begins to fade.!!

I am surprised there are few details available online.  The first rule of marketing is surely to let the customers know what's for sale?!

I'll look out for my copy of HM78, in which there are supposedly details, but for now the only reference I can find to which ones will be produced in the first batch are in post #72 of this thread - not saying there isn't a list elsewhere.  If there is, then please post one.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/64001-Hornby-magazine-oo-gauge-brake-tender/?p=1227575

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE:

In HM Issue 88, there are some details on page 8:

HM010:   B964038E  BR Green

HM011:   B964064     BR Green SYP

HM012:   B964112    BR Green SYP

HM013:   ..............    BR Blue, yellow panels

The BR blue one (HM013) reads as if it's the same number as HM012 (i.e. B964112).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The way to order is also given here:

http://www.hornbymagazine.com/view_article.asp?ID=7114&pubID=38&t=0&s=0&p=1&i=10#continued

I must get an order in too, if it's not too late... :O

Hope that helps for now.

Cheers,

Ixion.

Edited by 97403_Ixion

• 2 weeks later...

Just checked that Key publishing link and it says 'card will be charged at time of order'. That's a bit of a leap of faith as no arrival date is mentioned! I did express an interest way back in the day, but I don't remember my card being charged.

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

As a subscriber quite honestly the whole promotion of this product is absolutely farcical. They want you to pre-order and charge you at the same time when the final decorated EP samples have not even been published in their magazine. To cap it all the publisher can't even spell the title of the product correctly..................................unless there is some truth in the meaning of Break!!

Come on Mike you can do better than this, get the pre-order description changed for Christ sake!

CloggyDog, on 11 Nov 2015 - 15:48, said:CloggyDog, on 11 Nov 2015 - 15:48, said:

Oh dear... Break Tender...

Seriously?

:sclerosis:

Some blame their spelling errors on predictive text but never think to turn it off.

Edited by Free At Last
  • Like 1

I know its important to get things right from a detail point of view...but I sometimes feel that because of criticism earlier in the thread about the proposed model, that the guys at Hornby mag are fearful of releasing anything less than perfect because of the bad press that might then follow.

I suggest that 90% of folk out there might accept something pretty close, they wouldn't know the differences, I'm one of those, but there are those more discerning who can then get stuck in and detail/amend accordingly.

Bob

• RMweb Premium

Gong back to my chat with Mike last year at the GCR he did mention that they took the project on from someone else on the understanding it was nearly complete.

That was until this thread appeared. I think he didn't realise what a headache the nearly completed project would be to complete.

All I hope that it does materialise and is a good product.

I still haven't finished my scratchbuilt ones, perhaps if I get back to making them it will speed up Hornby Magazine.

• RMweb Premium

Gong back to my chat with Mike last year at the GCR he did mention that they took the project on from someone else on the understanding it was nearly complete.

That was until this thread appeared. I think he didn't realise what a headache the nearly completed project would be to complete.

A lesson that I learned some years ago !

When I first started producing transfers, before the Millenium, I got quite a lot of this kind of e-mail :-

Will you print me a couple of sheets of transfers? You just need to print them - I've done all the research and design work. It'll take you not time at all !

When the files came through, they wouldn't even open. A week later when I'd got them to open, it transpired that the desired design was incorrectly laid out; in the wrong font; and to no particular scale.

Result - some very considerable time later and after I'd done all the research and design myself - I successfully printed a sheet of the most obscure vehicle markings you can imagine, with zero resale potential, at a price that would not have kept me in humbugs for the time that I'd spent.

Lesson learned? There's a good reason why people want to hand over "almost completed" projects for "the easiest part of the job" to be finalised.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Premium

...and looking at the typeface on the singular "decorated" version on the ordering website, a lesson that others have still to learn.

P

I do have to question, when errors like these seem to be commonplace from certain manufacturers / commissioners, whether they either don't know or don't care.

In either case, the answer is hardly an ideal qualification for a producer of scale models.

Regards,

John Isherwood.