Hornby Magazine OO Gauge Brake Tender

DapolDave

• RMweb Premium

I can't be on their "luv you" list as I haven't had an e-mail advising me about my model.

They do luv me....... :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: and the packaging was well worth the wait. :imsohappy:

Some one asked if the lamps come off, I don't think they are meant to but I have already broken one off getting it of the box. It has not damaged the lamp iron. So I think they are just glued to the lamp irons.

Edited by Clive Mortimore

Mine also arrived today, but don't think the box was bought in, as mine was clearly made from a cut down larger cardboard box, but that maybe because I had 3 delivered together. Will have to check the track radius that it will travel through, as the bogie swing restrictor gives a narrow field of movement to the bogie. It looks like the restrictor can be trimmed off, as it is an upward facing spur that is part of the bogie moulding, that goes into a curved slot in the underbody,  to allow a greater amount of swing. Good day for 'hobby' deliveries as postie also delivered a 1/76 model of an AEC 3 axle Renown, London Transport 1930s-1950s double decker, produced for the London Bus Museum by Jotus.

Guest G567281

Maybe they were sorting those out who paid full retail price first? :wink_mini:

Anyway a few pics.

attachicon.gifHby-DpolDBT-Mdlg-030Edit.jpg

As delivered but with Hornby type coupling unplugged. The model is supplied with two dummy screw couplings and hooks. I've read elsewhere that the lamps & lamp brackets are removable. Mine weren't. They were firmly glued in place.

attachicon.gif Hby-DpolDBT-Mdlg-022Edit.jpg[/urls

Side view. I've since removed some of the side lettering. Quite easily using a cotton bud soaked in IPA.

attachicon.gif Hby-DpolDBT-Mdlg-027Edit.jpg

Maximum yaw on the bogies. No idea what the minimum radius curve would be for 00 track. The top of both bogies have a pin moulded at the front that fits in a corresponding slot machined into the ballast plate. The bogie has a representation of the recess across the stretcher bar at both ends. If you are propelling the DBT and want to hide the coupling /coupling pocket you will be able to turn the bogie through 180 degrees by removing this pin. (Or machining a corresponding slot on the inner end of the ballast plate.)

attachicon.gif Hby-DpolDBT-Mdlg-013Edit.jpg

Top View. I was able to push the side handrails into a more prototypical depth after scraping the adhesive away on the inside of the body. On early DBt's they should be painted green to match the main body. There a two hardly noticeable moulding marks at the highest point toward each end.

attachicon.gif Hby-DpolDBT-Mdlg-021Edit.jpg

How the ballast plate fits in the body. It pulls out after removing the screws that secure the bogies.

attachicon.gif Hby-DpolDBT-Mdlg-003-Edit.jpg

Broken down into the major components.

attachicon.gif Hby-DpolDBT-Mdlg-001copy.jpg

Dapol DBT bogie at centre, Hornby Gresley bogie to the left and Coachmaster(ABS) whitemetal bogie right.

The Dapol DBT bogie is 3mm narrower over the sides than the other two.

I plan to do a few minor cosmetic alterations over the next few days to give the tender a bit more of a prototypical appearance. I'll post some pics up if anybodies interested? Then it'll be onto the major rebuild.

P

Many thanks for posting the photographs and the corresponding notes. This is extremely helpful, especially to me as being overseas, my models have yet to arrive. I am thinking for EM gauge conversion, Hornby bogies using the original axles with new wheels may be the way to go. Otherwise ABS bogies.

• Like 1

Guest G567281

I have converted one to P4, the brakes need paring down to avoid the flanges.

Can anyone advise if the radius on the handrails is accurate as it seems to be a little large to me.

Regards

Thanks for posting. If you have done a P4 conversion there is hope for me doing an EM one.

I agree with your comment regarding the radius of the handrails. I think I will be making new ones.

A couple of hours work has seen a few simple modifications done to try an improve some of the shortcomings.

It's sat on a pair of ABS bogies at the moment.

post-508-0-94734200-1450625673.jpg

Once I start the major rebuild I'll be using 0.3mm brass or N silver for the handrails. Trying to get then to look a little more like the pics in this post.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/49032-pdk-kits-diesel-brake-tender/&do=findComment&comment=558500

I've used most commercial types of handrail bending jig and never been happy with them. I now use a pair of cheap pliers into which I've filed a different radius into the edge of each jaw. It works for me.

P

Edited by Porcy Mane

• 2 weeks later...
Guest G567281

A couple of hours work has seen a few simple modifications done to try an improve some of the shortcomings.

It's sat on a pair of ABS bogies at the moment.

attachicon.gifHby-DpolDBT-Mdlg-047-Editsm.jpg

Once I start the major rebuild I'll be using 0.3mm brass or N silver for the handrails. Trying to get then to look a little more like the pics in this post.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/49032-pdk-kits-diesel-brake-tender/&do=findComment&comment=558500

I've used most commercial types of handrail bending jig and never been happy with them. I now use a pair of cheap pliers into which I've filed a different radius into the edge of each jaw. It works for me.

P

Hi P,

Would you mind telling me your source for the hand wheels please.

Kindest regards

Alan

• 1 month later...

This thread was one of the most interesting to me.

As it is a while since there was any activity I would just like to ask any member if any new information had come to light.

The questions I have are,

1, Did the prototype with "humps" have a diagram number as it was very different to others.

2, I have found information of tests been carried out on the Eastern, Midland and Scottish regions, but were there other places.

3, Why did the prototype have a "Return to Acton " instruction on it  when most of the tenders were used in other places first and Acton seems to have had them later on.

4, Does any one know of a photo website that has Brake Tenders on other than a general search of Flickr.

5, Does any one know of a register of Brake Tender information, I have all running numbers and lot numbers.

I did note that on all the "York" built Brake Tenders the wagon number plate or "D" Plate was located in a set place, but on a photo of a Brake Tender at Ayr that Tender looks like a "York" built , but the plate is much lower down.

Could this be one of the Prototypes from the "Cowlairs" Lot number ?

I think the photo is on this thread, possibly from "Barking Bill".

• RMweb Premium

As HM appear to have completely forgotten they once promised a blue/yellow ends brake tender, I've just ordered an all-over green example, which will get a bath in slightly diluted IPA upon arrival ready for a coat of blue (after titivating the detail some).

You just watch... the 'blue is now ready to order' email will no doubt arrive tomorrow...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

For information - Hornby magazine now have the blue liveried versions in stock, I received an email earlier.

Just in time for me to be on the last stage of three Genesis kits, all of which will be painted blue!

Neil

This thread was one of the most interesting to me.

As it is a while since there was any activity I would just like to ask any member if any new information had come to light.

The questions I have are,

1, Did the prototype with "humps" have a diagram number as it was very different to others.

2, I have found information of tests been carried out on the Eastern, Midland and Scottish regions, but were there other places.

3, Why did the prototype have a "Return to Acton " instruction on it  when most of the tenders were used in other places first and Acton seems to have had them later on.

4, Does any one know of a photo website that has Brake Tenders on other than a general search of Flickr.

5, Does any one know of a register of Brake Tender information, I have all running numbers and lot numbers.

I did note that on all the "York" built Brake Tenders the wagon number plate or "D" Plate was located in a set place, but on a photo of a Brake Tender at Ayr that Tender looks like a "York" built , but the plate is much lower down.

Could this be one of the Prototypes from the "Cowlairs" Lot number ?

I think the photo is on this thread, possibly from "Barking Bill".

MRJ had an article within (MRJ 177 pp. 227-235) which was based on the 7mm types available but mainly focused on scratch-building the diagrams that, I believe, that you have mentioned (ie Dia 1/558 or Dia 1/555)? There is also an article in BRM (March 2009 IIRC) I cant recall if it mentions the Dia 1/558 or Dia 1/555 BTs though as it was an article on putting together the 4mm ABS, Crownline and PDK kits (some useful detail info though). There was another article, in BRM, IIRC, by Dave Coasby on 7mm versions and the prototypes......I hope that helps you locate some of the information that you require....

For information - Hornby magazine now have the blue liveried versions in stock, I received an email earlier.

Just in time for me to be on the last stage of three Genesis kits, all of which will be painted blue!

Neil

Just think Neil you have the satisfaction of building and painting models exactly as you wanted them and possibly more appropriate/better for your needs than instant OOTB RTR gratification.

I know what you mean though as its like looking for that elusive photo before the transfers and weathering are applied - to any model - the photo then only surfaces three months after one had bitten the bullet and applied paint, transfers and weathering (going with the information to hand) etc......sods law!

ATVB

CME

• RMweb Gold

Just think Neil you have the satisfaction of building and painting models exactly as you wanted them and possibly more appropriate/better for your needs than instant OOTB RTR gratification.

I know what you mean though as its like looking for that elusive photo before the transfers and weathering are applied - to any model - the photo then only surfaces three months after one had bitten the bullet and applied paint, transfers and weathering (going with the information to hand) etc......sods law!

ATVB

CME

You are quite right CME. I spent some of yesterday afternoon on the Genesis 1/555, emphasising the tumblehome more and building some replacement MJT heavy duty Gresley bogies which are much finer castings than those supplied with the kit. They are vastly better than the undernourished versions on the HM model, which appear to be standard 8'6" Gresley bogies.

I've indeed received the HM blue version, and despite the Genesis body being too wide, the two enhancements above will certainly be an improvement on RTR. I've still to scribe in the panel lines, add Archers rivets and paint, but I will add three Genesis models of 1/555, 1/556 and 1/557 to my mid 1970s fleet.

Neil

Edited by Downendian

You are quite right CME. I spent some of yesterday afternoon on the Genesis 1/555, emphasising the tumblehome more and building some replacement MJT heavy duty Gresley bogies which are much finer castings than those supplied with the kit. They are vastly better than the undernourished versions on the HM model, which appear to be standard 9'6" Gresley bogies.

I've indeed received the HM blue version, and despite the Genesis body being too wide, the two enhancements above will certainly be an improvement on RTR. I've still to scribe in the panel lines, add Archers rivets and paint, but I will add three Genesis models of 1/555, 1/556 and 1/557 to my mid 1970s fleet.

Neil

Hi Neil,

Sounds good to me.

If a model isnt 100% accurate then one has to balance, time, effort, satisfaction against the end result, cost also comes into it of course, all relative to diminishing returns etc etc. It sounds to me as if you have struck the right balance and will derive a great deal of satisfaction and achieve some very nice layout models - a small fleet of them - and good for you, it is, after all, a creative hobby.

My BT isnt perfect and the next one will be better, yet being a resin 'kit' it's close enough and relatively easy to get up and running - and looks better for better bogies/prototypical bogies height and other details.....I suspect that most, even experts, will not notice the discrepancies in my two kit built models.

Kindest regards,

CME

Just came across an interesting photo on FLick of 46011 running through Reading  heading towards London with a track panel train.

The first wagon in the train is a BR Blue Brake Tender. Dated as 17/02/79. Had not realised they were still in use that time.

Link to pic

https://www.flickr.com/photos/79665856@N08/11668967106/

Cheers Trailrage

• Like 2

Just came across an interesting photo on FLick of 46011 running through Reading  heading towards London with a track panel train.

The first wagon in the train is a BR Blue Brake Tender. Dated as 17/02/79. Had not realised they were still in use that time.

Link to pic

https://www.flickr.com/photos/79665856@N08/11668967106/

Cheers Trailrage

I knew than ran fairly late, but I couldn't recall it being into 1979! Thanks for Posting.

• 9 months later...