Beasts feeling blue

I really like these Dave.  In your first shot of 40106 entering/leaving Crewe Diesel Depot you can just see the floodlights at the railway end of Gresty Rd, prior to any redevelopment. Back then it was possible to trainspot if there was a lull in the match; which there frequently was.....

Oh and you have the bragging rights as it finished Tranmere 2 Crewe Alex 1 yesterday.

I've probably said it before but I wished I'd known of your collection a few years ago. Some great shots especially in post #75. Llandudno Junction may have been open and wind swept once the LNWR glass screens went, but boy what a view towards Conwy. Nostalgia too at Abergele with the '24 on the Horse & Carraige. Did you manage any shots at Llanfairfechan as it was before the Expressway and also the old granite loading facility in Penmaenmawr yard?

• RMweb Gold

I've probably said it before but I wished I'd known of your collection a few years ago. Some great shots especially in post #75. Llandudno Junction may have been open and wind swept once the LNWR glass screens went, but boy what a view towards Conwy. Nostalgia too at Abergele with the '24 on the Horse & Carraige. Did you manage any shots at Llanfairfechan as it was before the Expressway and also the old granite loading facility in Penmaenmawr yard?

Hi Coach, thanks.

Never photographed at Lanfairfechan I'm afraid, a few at Penmaenmawr, ( all the signals obviously )

Dave, any idea when the tracks that ran behind the signalbox onto Tower road where last used? dont think ive seen a shot of those lines.

Weren`t the steam loco`s 'Lucy' and 'Efficient' stabled at the old engine shed on the Seacombe side of the Four Bridges in the early `70s?..........I think I recall seeing a steam hauled rail-tour later going over the four-bridges and Duke St. bridge with a brake-van heaving with enthusiasts.

• RMweb Gold

Weren`t the steam loco`s 'Lucy' and 'Efficient' stabled at the old engine shed on the Seacombe side of the Four Bridges in the early `70s?..........I think I recall seeing a steam hauled rail-tour later going over the four-bridges and Duke St. bridge with a brake-van heaving with enthusiasts.

The tour (if you mean the late 1970s tour) didn't go over the bridge at Canning Street, it ran to the home signal and reversed back to Duke Street, I chased it around, it went over to the Wallasey side at Duke Street

ive never been able to pinpoint exactly where that shed was.

Around here http://goo.gl/maps/TkS3n - it was still standing until the 1980s

Visible on this image (as the dark, long building with clerestory roof and with empty/derelict land behind) on the Alfred Basin side of Birkenhead Road: to the left of the T-junc with Dock Road..........it`s slightly right-of-centre of the image with the long white slender warehouse-roof at the east side of Kelvin Road pointing toward the loco. shed.

Edited to include this info. found on the subject:

"William J. Lee. Around 1885 began shunting with the Wallasey, a 0-4-0 saddle tank locomotive. Other locomotives used include Homepride, formerly of Paul Bros. Homepride flour mills (Seacombe).

Lee’s engine shed lay parallel to Birkenhead Road, Seacombe, on the river-side of the road, just north of the Alfred Dock, and was of stout brick construction, though as traffic expanded, with further accommodation being required, it was extended rearwards, by means of a rather less-solid timber extension. The shed was demolished in the mid 1980’s, after having stood empty and unused for a number of years."

• RMweb Premium

Excellent thread, I too have a mountain of photos from this era, mostly very degraded now, not as if they were any good to begin with though.  Storage in extreme cold and heat over the years has wrought it's worst I'm afraid, even the Kodachromes that were supposed to be longer lasting.

Please keep posting more of this blue era stuff, it's in my blood.  It's not about the quality, it is the now long gone subject matter that's so important.

Any north-east shots by any chance? :scratchhead:

Neil

Dave, any idea when the tracks that ran behind the signalbox onto Tower road where last used? dont think ive seen a shot of those lines.

I remember going with friends in 1968 to their boat (which was moored in Morpeth Branch Dock) and wagons were stabled on lines along the north side of Morpeth Yard. These lines were accessed from Tower Road.

When I started at Canning St North in November 1976 I was told the lines had been out of use "for about 5 years or so". The facing points in the goods line were removed after a derailment in 1975 and the trailers were taken out of use early 1977.

A few photos taken by Dave Pearson in 1979 and used with permission.

The north end of the four bridges.

post-6748-0-96195500-1356905150.jpg

Looking along Wallasey Dock Road towards the north end of the four bridges. The loco is hidden by the buildings on the right.

post-6748-0-14067400-1356905101.jpg

Looking the other way, the flour mills are now apartments

post-6748-0-30903800-1356905129.jpg

An end view of the loco shed.

post-6748-0-91382000-1356905161.jpg

The loco shed was isolated by the building of the roundabout at the end of the four bridges and was demolished a few years later.

A few photos taken by Dave Pearson in 1979 and used with permission.

The north end of the four bridges.

attachicon.gifSep 79 (7).jpg

Looking along Wallasey Dock Road towards the north end of the four bridges. The loco is hidden by the buildings on the right.

attachicon.gifSep 79 (2).jpg

Looking the other way, the flour mills are now apartments

attachicon.gifSep 79 (5).jpg

An end view of the loco shed.

attachicon.gifSep 79 (6).jpg

The loco shed was isolated by the building of the roundabout at the end of the four bridges and was demolished a few years later.

Smashing images........they`ve gone straight into my local history album! :good:

Keith, was it with you that I visited Morpeth Dock warehouse/office in the early or mid-70`s?.......it must`ve still been partially open then, my memories of that visit are shaky; but I do definitely remember going there. :scratchhead:

Smashing images........they`ve gone straight into my local history album! :good:

Keith, was it with you that I visited Morpeth Dock warehouse/office in the early or mid-70`s?.......it must`ve still been partially open then, my memories of that visit are shaky; but I do definitely remember going there. :scratchhead:

Hi Debs, it was very likely we went to Morpeth Dock in the mid 1970's.

Morpeth Dock Goods Depot closed to traffic in 1972 when its work was transferred to Husskisson Dock Goods Depot in Liverpool.

However, the Wirral area stores department, two clerks and two messengers remained at Morpeth Dock. When I started at Canning St North I had to go there to get my wages.

The clerks were moved to Duke Street when additional accomodation had been provided in 1977. the Stores Dept and the messengers went to Birkenhead Central.

Getting back on topic (though the loco looks green).

post-6748-0-55340900-1356970421_thumb.jpg

Train at Canning St Dec 1973.

• RMweb Gold

Another super picture of Canning street north :no: Has anyone got any freight pictures of the branch line which went to Bromborough pool docks...

I rode down it behind a steam engine but never got any shots of it.

Archived