Beasts feeling blue

It`s so sad; the whole dock-railway system in Birkenhead has just been left to rot......`absolutely gutting! :cray_mini:

No what you mean Debs!! went for walk along the line from the Rock retail park to canning street box!! its real waste....

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

It`s so sad; the whole dock-railway system in Birkenhead has just been left to rot......`absolutely gutting! :cray_mini:

At least if it is still there it could be put back into use (after relaying). Much harder if it's been built on....

Andy G

At least if it is still there it could be put back into use (after relaying). Much harder if it's been built on....

Andy G

Most of the track is still there,through the middle of Birkenhead,along with points,ground frame,and few rusted signals... :sungum:

• 2 years later...

This photo taken 25/2/2001 during Pway work at Port Sunlight shows 66 051 in the 1968 up (now down) platform.

To the left of the siding (formerly the up fast) can be seen the remains of the old platform where it crosses the subway.

attachicon.gif008.jpg

The new platform was only 4 coaches long and the down (now up) platform was shortened to match. They both  had to be extended to accomodate 6 coaches when the line was electrified in 1985.

Hi Mate!

I saw a clip on You Tube yesterday showing what looked like wooden platforms at Port Sunlight, that ran as far as the stone bridge. Can you confirm this, and do you have any pics of the station, before re-modelling?

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mate!

I saw a clip on You Tube yesterday showing what looked like wooden platforms at Port Sunlight, that ran as far as the stone bridge. Can you confirm this, and do you have any pics of the station, before re-modelling?

Can you post a link to the clip please ?

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi

I am trying to help the staff at the station put together a history of Bromborough, from its construction, through to rationalisation and the dawn of electrification.

For instance what did the original station look like? When was the Stationmaster's house demolished? When were the fast lines lifted?

Any Trackplans, usable photos, and any other info would be gratefully received!

Thanks, Dean

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dean,

The down fast was taken out of use (oou)  with effect from (wef) 4 November 1967 when Birkenhead Woodside shut, the Up Fast become the Up Goods at this time.

The Up Goods (old up fast) was taken oou wef 3 December 1973 when it too succumbed to rationalisation this left just the two lines which remain to this day (the old slow lines), I remember the up goods was still in situ in the Bebington area until 1975, so it's likely that the line remained at Bromborough until around the same time until it was lifted. The down fast was probably lifted during 1968, it had to be severed at Port Sunlight immediately it was taken oou as a new platfom had to be built and this occupied the down fast formation.

The signal box was abolished in May 1985 when Hooton took control of the area. I have a print off the signal box diagram when the 4 tracks were in use.

Hi

I am trying to help the staff at the station put together a history of Bromborough, from its construction, through to rationalisation and the dawn of electrification.

For instance what did the original station look like? When was the Stationmaster's house demolished? When were the fast lines lifted?

Any Trackplans, usable photos, and any other info would be gratefully received!

Thanks, Dean

The building on the Liverpool bound platform is shown on a plan dated (from memory) 1883 as is the goods shed.

Archived