Beasts feeling blue

• RMweb Gold

Beast

Many thanks for sharing the scans - Great stuff.

Hope you don't mind me asking but do recall what year(s) the pictures at Crewe were taken ?

Thanks again

Neil.

1977-1982 but I do have the exact dates when I can get my photos sorted.

• RMweb Gold

More of Dave Ms pics,excellent stuff.

Bidston East was nicknamed the Beast because it was a very busy box, especially if the service went t*ts up and started running out of course, meaning junctions being swung evey few minutes,

The 507 pair is crossing over and heading back to Birkenhead, i.e.away from the camera.

Birkenhead North No.2 is visible in the distance, the steel works to the right, to get to the box you used to drive into the steel works and then over a dodgy bridge and back along the "road" to the right, this area is now Tescos.

The tip, to the left, is now somewhat higher, more of a hill.

• RMweb Gold

can compare the last Port sunlight shot with this earlier one when was 4 track.

The line the 40 is on is the Up Fast, downgraded to Up Goods in November 1967 when Birkenhead Woodside shut and taken out of use in December 1973.

The next line to the left as we look is the down fast, this was taken out of use in November 1967 as above but a section was quickly removed here to allow the Hooton bound platform to be built, prior to that the platforms were Up Fast and Down Slow, which meant all stations stoppers to Hooton and beyond had to travel on the Fast, where fast trains could travel on the slow - Daves picture of the parcels overtaking the DMU at Bromborough demonstrates this. The next two lines are the up slow and down slow, these are still in use, electrified although the "up" line is now towards Liverpool, rather than Chester.

The signals behind the 40 were the down fast (later goods) and slow homes, they lost their (outer) distant arms in July 1972 when Spital box closed and the one on the down fast - to the right - was felled in December 1973 when the up good shut. The remaining signal survived until May 1985 when the colour lights came, initially controlled from Port Sunlight (in this area), the box shut in November 1986 and control was transferred to Rock Ferry.

Mick Nich of this parish made me a model of the up home as it was in the 1976 shot with the 47, complete with the disused back blinder from Spitals Up Slow outer distant - a very nice job.

did they reposition the platforms?

one of my earliest memories is being on Port Sunlight station and there was some tankers in the siding.

I can also remember the same day a model of the village and station in a large glass case.

no idea what year it was, I think it may have been around the time of the celebrations as I remember the murial in the station.

8261333731_5e17bd5889.jpg
Port Sunlight Sidings 1965 by Lime street Dave, on Flickr

• RMweb Gold

The next line to the left as we look is the down fast, this was taken out of use in November 1967 as above but a section was quickly removed here to allow the Hooton bound platform to be built, prior to that the platforms were Up Fast and Down Slow

did they reposition the platforms?

This photo taken 25/2/2001 during Pway work at Port Sunlight shows 66 051 in the 1968 up (now down) platform.

To the left of the siding (formerly the up fast) can be seen the remains of the old platform where it crosses the subway.

post-6748-0-16411500-1357503648.jpg

The new platform was only 4 coaches long and the down (now up) platform was shortened to match. They both  had to be extended to accomodate 6 coaches when the line was electrified in 1985.

Guest jim s-w

can compare the last Port sunlight shot with this earlier one when was 4 track.

Not really my area of interest Michael but a loverly picture none the less.

Cheers

Jim

8366945947_705279b31f_c.jpg

Peak at Rock Ferry 1975 by Lime street Dave, on Flickr

8366945467_ef739fbeeb_c.jpg

Class 47 Bromborough 1967 by Lime street Dave, on Flickr

8366944787_6330946157_c.jpg

Gaerwen tanks for Ellesmere port 1975 by Lime street Dave, on Flickr

The date for the Gaerwen tanks is not right. The switch diamonds in the picture were not installed until about 1977/8 when the layout was remodelled. Dave went to work at Lime St in 1980 (I think) so I would think the photo was taken before then.

• RMweb Gold

I can't see a 44, 45 or a 46 in that Rock Ferry photo either ..

I remember when Kenny let me work Rock Ferry and for fun allowed me to put the EMUs down 4 (the one on the right for those who don't know) and the DMUs down 1, watching the passengers rushing around like ants was amusing - but probably not for them, as he also let me pull off for the DMU to depart as soon as the EMU had arrived.

• RMweb Gold

Hallo,

I used to live just south of Town Green station on the Exchange-Ormskirk-Preston line.....

Being cheeky to ask, do you have any 502s in your collection or Liverpool Exchange ->Glasgow photos?

es grüßt

PC

Afraid not, I rarely ventured to the Northern lines except just prior to the resignalling.

Thanks to both for their answers.

On the Flickr site, a nice shot of a 40 in Ormskirk with a 502 in the bay.

When I was old enough to wander about on my own I would go to Town Green station to be on the platform when the evening service to Glasgow (pre TOPs Class 50 hauled) passed through. Lovely memories of a world long gone

es grüßt

PC

edited with link to flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kerryp28/6250482170/in/set-72157627315460580

Archived