Static Grass Tips and Techniques

MichaelW

This was the first time ever that I actually managed to get grass fibres to stand up. First I tried a Noch Grassmaster - totally useless - then Greenscene's Flockit at half the price and here's the results over neat PVA.

Cheers.

Allan.

post-18579-0-69522800-1466625498_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Sorry to hear of the failure with the Noch machine Allan. I have both a Noch 'GrasMaster' and a Greenscenes 'Flockit' (albeit an experimental mains charger powered one) which both give me good results also just using neat PVA. I do use a 'quality' PVA (Wudcare 5 minute superfast) obtained from a boat chandlery not the usual 'Buy'n'Queue' rubbish. The G.S. machine does have the edge for me.

Probably the very best results I ever got was with a 'Greenkeeper' 55kv machine but I don't have it anymore. The G.S. mains charged version comes pretty close for me.

This previously posted pic was done using a Noch GrasMaster and 6mm fibres. 

post-6728-0-72677300-1466630222.jpg

• Like 6

Sorry to hear of the failure with the Noch machine Allan. I have both a Noch 'GrasMaster' and a Greenscenes 'Flockit' (albeit an experimental mains charger powered one) which both give me good results also just using neat PVA. I do use a 'quality' PVA (Wudcare 5 minute superfast) obtained from a boat chandlery not the usual 'Buy'n'Queue' rubbish. The G.S. machine does have the edge for me.

Probably the very best results I ever got was with a 'Greenkeeper' 55kv machine but I don't have it anymore. The G.S. mains charged version comes pretty close for me.

This previously posted pic was done using a Noch GrasMaster and 6mm fibres. 

attachicon.gif6mm fibres.jpg

Surely that's a real photo John !

One of the best examples of stand up grass I've seen.

Cheers.

Allan.

• RMweb Gold

What did you do with it ?

I sold it to to a man who desperately wanted to buy it from me!

Rather cross now as I intended to buy a replacement which will cost a lot more after Thursday's events. :angry:

Excellent work there Martin!

This was the first time ever that I actually managed to get grass fibres to stand up. First I tried a Noch Grassmaster - totally useless - then Greenscene's Flockit at half the price and here's the results over neat PVA.

Cheers.

Allan.

attachicon.gifDERELICT STATION SUNSHINE SHOTS 001.JPG

At first glance it thought this was a real location , not a model - superb craftsmanship.

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi . I am looking for ideas & suggestions 1st of all whats the best type of ballast to use for 1980's sidings . 2nd static grass i am wanting to get tuffs of grass around the the buffers for that over grown run down look . thanks matt  :angel:  :scratchhead:

Morning Matt - cant help much on the ballast, but I use the 00 gauge ballast from Green Scene and have been happy with it - you can weather it which helps to date it, and they do various shades. Supposedly, they measured real ballast so they could make the model ballast scale size!!!

For grass tufts, there are several ways, but I know of these:

1. Buy ready-made and plant away

2. Drill holes in a piece of wood (all the way through). Place wood on metal sheets (baking sheet, large tin lid etc), apply small amount of PVA into holes on the metal sheet below and attach the static grass applicator earthing clip to baking sheet. Then shake applicator over the holes. Leave to dry, then remove the wood. You should have nice tufts which can be planted as necessary.

3. Dab PVA randomly on metal baking sheet making any shape you like. Again, just add grass from the applicator. When dry, peel off the baking sheet and glue to model.

4. Dab glue on the area you want the static grass and either use clumps and apply by hand, or use applicator and vacuum off excess grass.

I am sure there are experts on here who can advise as well, these are just my suggestions. I also watch video's from Luke Towan on You-Tube who has excellent tutorials on static grass and scenic modeling.

Ian

Edited by ianLMS

• RMweb Gold

Hi . I am looking for ideas & suggestions 1st of all whats the best type of ballast to use for 1980's sidings . 2nd static grass i am wanting to get tuffs of grass around the the buffers for that over grown run down look . thanks matt  :angel:  :scratchhead:

Probably N Gauge fine ballast, although you may need to mix some sand in with it too depending on location. I'm sure someone much more knowledgeable than I am can give you a better idea but I'm pretty sure ballast wasn't much bigger than 40mm back in the 80s.

Cheers

Mike 

• Like 1

Has anyone any opinion on acrylic paint as the top layer before applying scenic glue or cement? On my layout I used dark green artists' acrylic paint (the sort in a large plastic tube). However, it has ended up very smooth and quite shiny, and I wonder if the cement will stick well. I am considering sanding it back with coarse abrasive paper to the brown-coloured Polyfilla layer underneath, as this will be more porous and I think the abrasive will leave scratches that will help key the surface. Any advice or opinions on this would be much appreciated, as it is going to be a messy process!

The Frequently Asked Questions section of the Woodlands Scenics website includes "Does Scenic Cement adhere to any type of surface and material?" The answer simply states "Scenic Cement works best when used with porous materials".

Perhaps there is a reason why in most books and articles on landscaping emulsion paint is used to prepare the surface, as it is porous and matt?

Edited by Douglas G

I usually do paint a layer of what ends up being acrylic and that give me no problems. However, after I've applied the grass, I always sieve ash over it to cover any exposed paint to kill any 'shine'. I use a bog-standard PVA.

I do find that there is no substitute for a decent applicator, and I use a GreenScenes Flock-It, running at 15v.

IMG_7828_zpsffpr3cw1.jpg

IMG_7815_zpsds1stivx.jpg

Edited by Giles
  • Like 14

Just had a browse in my local MR shop, and noticed a new large display of "Peco Scene" range of static grass products. This being a new range to hit the market I was wondering what the range is like?

They are offering two adhesives a Basing glue and and layering spray. The basing glue looks like PVA but is very runny, so I am guessing this is very sticky, yet thin when applied? Is it better than PVA?

A fairly good selection of grass colours base on seasons.

Any views would be helpful.

• RMweb Gold

Just had a browse in my local MR shop, and noticed a new large display of "Peco Scene" range of static grass products. This being a new range to hit the market I was wondering what the range is like?

They are offering two adhesives a Basing glue and and layering spray. The basing glue looks like PVA but is very runny, so I am guessing this is very sticky, yet thin when applied? Is it better than PVA?

A fairly good selection of grass colours base on seasons.

Any views would be helpful.

These are the WWS products, re branded for PECO. I spoke with the guys from WWS some time ago who alluded to this collaboration.

Suggest a view of their videos on You tube...

Rob.

These are the WWS products, re branded for PECO. I spoke with the guys from WWS some time ago who alluded to this collaboration.

Suggest a view of their videos on You tube...

Rob.

Thanks, just had a look and very impressed with the step by step videos and the effects achieved

Looks like quite an impressive product range and a British manufacture too.

It is very interesting when you come across companies that have been able to cross over in to model railways, as I assume by their company name "War World" that they originated for the war game/model making world, that you can sometime get great new products on the market.

• Like 1

Oh blimey - it's the pre-blended 'for your convenience' stuff....... I frankly won't touch it with a barge-pole - but that's my personal opinion.

The pre-blended colours are unfortunate to my eye. I am a very firm believer in mixing colours and lengths, but very much prefer to do so myself, and like to have some subtly about it. I did chat to WWS about possibly supplying the colours 'plain', but a gather that's not what they do.

My tuppence-worth - go and get the Polak stuff, now it's on the market again, or Mininatur.

(No connection with anyone!!!)

Again, just my personal opinion - nothing more - I know of one first class modeller who quite liked the WWS stuff.

• RMweb Gold

My tuppence-worth - go and get the Polak stuff, now it's on the market again, or Mininatur.

Agreed Giles. In the general materials range I've just received an order from Alex. I'm particularly pleased with the quality, grades and variety of the 'Naturex' stuff on the mesh.

One of finest grades in the loose 'Naturex' range.

post-6728-0-08740100-1477471023_thumb.jpg

Edited by Re6/6

• 3 months later...

Graham I do this by spraying matt varnish liberally around 4/6'' either side of the join, then using the static grass gun apply another layer fading it out both sides.

Get the vac nozzle over the new grass after 5 mins to pick up any loose lengths then spray a mist of Matt varnish to seal it all.

As Giles says the most essential ingredient of good static grass laying in my book is liberally sprinkle ash or sieved earth directly onto it after laying the first layer to kill the shine and dramatically improve its appearance.

• 4 weeks later...