Static Grass Tips and Techniques

MichaelW

This is not how we usually want it to look, but it does happen in nature!

We struggle to get it all upright

attachicon.gifGrass in rails 1.jpg

what you can do is wait until the glue has dried a bit then run a hoover hover the top and spray (this is where i should say use our Layering spray as its stronger) hair spray on it that should do the trick 

• 1 month later...

What a great informative topic this is for all things static grass!  Thanks.

Whist working out on the railways, I came across some real "static" grass.  The clumps were on a disused portion of track bed adjacent to an open single line.  There was a very distinct edge to the grassy area and the edge of the ballast shoulder  For scale, the chair screw spikes are about 6 inch long, so the clumps in the 4th shot will just under 2mm in dia. for 4mm scale.  These photos were taken in October.

post-4412-0-71145400-1446213751_thumb.jpg

post-4412-0-59002800-1446213756_thumb.jpg

post-4412-0-50243300-1446213762_thumb.jpg

post-4412-0-95519800-1446213773_thumb.jpg

Hope this is of use.  

Paul

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

What a great thread, loads of useful information for someone like me who is just starting to think about static grass. I was going to start by building a fly-swat one but given I only have small patches here and there to do i'm wondering if just using the balloon method followed by vacuuming once it's dried a bit would suffice?  I think i'll have to give it a try...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Mine stood at between 45 and 90 degree angles on the slope no matter where I place the applicator. During the drying process, I just lightly "combed" the grass into a more vertical position, but its quite fiddly. bumps look like a hedgehog with grass coming out at every angle!

• RMweb Gold

I am still a great fan of static grass. Adds so much realism especially in areas close to the viewers. Using good quality grass from different vendors and blending them gives the best result. I layer mine, 2mm, 3mm, 4mm and 10mm in places to give a more natural uneven cover. I hide the hedgehog bits with various scatters such as Coarse, Underbrush and bushes from woodland scenics.

I highly recommend trying it out. I wasn't convinced until I built my static grass applicator. I was too skeptical to shell out £100 straight off.

• RMweb Gold

Here are a couple of pictures showing my static grass. The first picture is in the village and shows 3mm and 4mm. The back right of the picture is the start of the hill covered in just standard scatter material. The second shot shows the 4mm grass and it slightly sticking out at an angle. Not drastic and in my humble opinion, quite realistic.

post-21193-0-78049300-1455093168_thumb.jpg

post-21193-0-97990600-1455093353_thumb.jpg

I hear what you're saying Ian, and I like static grass as well. But I'm modelling Belgrave and Birstall station on the GC which is in a shallow cutting and has 16 ft long embankments either side on the station, and I think static grass sticking out at an angle wouldn't look very realistic in this sort of quantity.

• RMweb Gold

Did my first bit if static grassing today. Used a WWS Pro grass Micro applicator and 2mm, 4mm and 6mm grass. Also had a nice chat with Martyn when I rang WWS this morning.

All I can say is that I have no hesitation in recommending WWS. I have no connection with them other than as a first time buyer and already satisfied user of their products.

A couple of views of my test piece today.

Rob

post-14122-0-82318600-1455119949_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-06374300-1455119970_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I wouldn't worry too much about grass being absolutely vertical. The photos below show how irregularly grass and other vegetation can grow - it really does stick out at all angles! So long as the fibres are more vertical than horizontal, then it shouldn't look unrealistic. If you do have a problem with the angle, then you can (carefully) use a vacuum suction to draw/'comb' the fibres towards the angle you want just after application when the glue's still wet. 

post-16840-0-50263500-1455141737_thumb.jpg

post-16840-0-30080100-1455141761_thumb.jpg

OK, these two frames were taken after a day & night of heavy rain, but long grass does get beaten down by wind and rain... 

post-16840-0-32339800-1455141846_thumb.jpg

Nearly vertical, but still on a bit of a lean on a small, shallow embankment. 

post-16840-0-61641500-1455141899_thumb.jpg

And here the plants grow at an angle to reach into the lane & light without being overshadowed by the hedges. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Sorry guys, not wanna go into the mine is bigger as yours debate..so back to static grass..

17207902228_fd0973cfd1_b.jpg

17369729826_940ea8eaa1_b.jpg

17412803631_efb9c6b47f_b.jpg

these are the results of playing around for 4 years now. On a good base cover with fine turf adding drops instead of a full coat of glue. Working in 6 to 8 layers..

Howdy!

I like watching these photos and wonder if you´re applying spray-glue + turf after some of the layers? Or is it shorter static grass?

It also seem like you only apply glue in spots and apply many rounds of spots with different coloured static grass? Right/Wrong?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Where's the 'bloody hell!' button...?

Here's a photo of my more modest efforts.

Rob.

post-14122-0-53450100-1460278050_thumb.jpg

Edited by nhy581
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 1 month later...

I'm going to add a contribution, but some of you won't like it. Here's what I've done over the last couple of days....

26367469853_5d6ddb09ba_c.jpg

It's a 0 scale shelf layout, just something to play with at home in anticipation of a Dapol 08 arriving soon. 

There is no static grass in this picture. There are lots of strands sold as static grass, but there is no static grass. I think it looks OK.

Here's what I do.......

26698235910_2bf8534a0c_c.jpg

I put a pool of diluted PVA over the area where I want the grass to stick. 

26366161574_3b05572cdd_c.jpg

Then using my fingers I sprinkle static grass fibres onto the PVA, quite thickly until no more white can be seen. I don't push it itno the glue, just sprinkle it on the top. 

I mix four of five different colours and lengths in a bowl, never just use one bag as it comes. 

26367461483_975946f7a0_c.jpg

After an hour, I go over the top of the grass with an ordianry domestic vacuum cleaner nozzle, about four inches above the grass. All the strands stand up, but are sufficiently held by the glue to remain in place. 

26938118726_595edd67e3_c.jpg

It still looks quite rough, but then after three or so hours I go over it again only this time with the nozzle close to the grass, only a few mm above it. All the loose fibres come off (to be emptied out and resused), and the grass that's left is what will remain on the model. The fibres are standing up as they should, the lengths and colours are varied and it looks good. 

Below is the same area as it was when it was finished. 

26698237570_30ef331fe1_c.jpg

I wanted a spring scene with quite a bright green, but with the grass kept short by being nibbled by sheep (as the layout is meant to represent the Forest of Dean, somewhere similar to Marsh Sidings at Parkend). 

These pictures show more of the layout....obviously the technique can be used with a mixture of colours and I've used lengths up to 12mm long on other layouts and it's just fine with them. 

26971640875_9ff008b93f_c.jpg

On small areas I don't bother with the vacuum cleaner, blowing the strands works just as well. You can add flowers by giving the grass a light spray with Photomount and just sprinkling them on...I use the coloured scatters from Greenscene. 

26938122336_20bbcc7169_c.jpg

You don't need expensive equipment in order to model grass.  The introduction of packs of static grass fibres is one of the greatest advances in scenic modelling of the last twenty years, but don't believe everything you're told about how to apply it...and the first question to ask is whether the person telling you is trying to sell you an applicator!

I know what people will say...this isn't static grass. They're right, it isn't.

So what!!

26903141381_d78e6b96a2_c.jpg

If you'd like to see pictures of other layouts using different colours and lengths I'll be happy to oblige.

Peter

Edited by kirtleypete
  • Like 1

I tried that on the wifes cardy while she was still in it and she got excited.

Highly recommended !

I was going to rate that post as 'informative', but what we really need is a 'too informative' button :-)