Static Grass Tips and Techniques

MichaelW

• RMweb Gold

Wowsers -my rts Greenkeeper (35w) arrived yesterday and I had a quick 10 minute play today.

I have had a grasmaster before, a home-made fly swatter and one of the intermediate cheaper ones of eBay.

This is FAR better than all IMO. It covers well and the number of fibres sticking upright seem much higher than others I've used (including the grasmaster)

I have attached a couple of pics (sorry the quality is poor - I had to reduce the size to fit with the limit but that lost a lot of the clarity!) - they are my very first attempt so nothing mind blowing but I'm hoping if it's that easy to use, it won't take long to get more realistic results.

My two quick observations are that the WWS layering spray was very good and also fit for purpose - it is expensive for what it is but does the job well (I haven't tried strong hairspray to see if there's a difference but there seems to be). My second observation is that when I used the miniatur fibres everything looked very real - as soon as I tried to add some Noch, the colour looked very false. I'll be selling these on eBay and replacing with all miniatur!

A great product. Only slight problem I seem to have fibres now attached to me and have made a nice little trail of them up to the bedroom. Wife unimpressed. She'd be even more unimpressed if she knew how much I spent on a machine to make small pieces of fake grass stand upright!!

post-2155-0-45399700-1436394589_thumb.jpg

post-2155-0-56063400-1436394974_thumb.jpg

post-2155-0-86684700-1436394986_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Excellent work Harry.

I'm glad that you find the machine good. I certainly wouldn't want to be without mine now! The 'others' are all good but this one is superb IMHO.

You're quite right about the fibre 'stick up' rate.

Yes, I have the same problem with my person getting flocked along with the layout! This happens particularly when filling the hopper. I have to keep my hand over the top until the grille is screwed on. A few of the fibres can be seen rocketing upwards otherwise!

MiniNatur fibres are much more pleasing compared to the 'nuclear green' of the Noch and Heki. Other excellent 'muted' colour fibres come from 'Polak' in the Czeck Republic  http://www.polakmodel.com/en/ available (or they used to be) from   https://www.etsy.com/ie/shop/AllScalesModels?ref=hdr_shop_menu.

I don't know the situation regarding Polak as they seem to be a small village industry and they were up for sale I believe. If anybody has any info on availability it would be good. All Scale Models (Eire) used to be on here.

I'm intrigued about the WWS layering spray as I've never heard of it. 'Strong hold' hairspray is OK but anything better would be good. I've tried 3M's art shop fixative (good on tree foliage) but a little too thick for static layering. It also leaves an unwanted white bloom.

Do keep us posted on your results Harry. I don't have time to experiment further with mine just now!

• RMweb Gold

For saving 'unstuck' fibres I use a a ladies stocking pulled tightly over the end of the vacuum pipe and the waste is cleanly collected for re-use.

I haven't yet worked out how to save them from my head and clothes!

A small price to pay really!

For saving 'unstuck' fibres I use a a ladies stocking pulled tightly over the end of the vacuum pipe and the waste is cleanly collected for re-use.

I haven't yet worked out how to save them from my head and clothes!

A small price to pay really!

Why not try a cheaper way ?

post-20303-0-25691900-1436435884.jpg

Could solve your dilemma!

Edited by bgman

• RMweb Gold

I use a muslin from my youngest daughter (which the wife hasn't noticed yet!!)

The layering spray seems to be similar to extra-hold hairspray but definitely has extra grip. I use woodland scenics scenic cement as the base layer as I've heard it's extra tacky then the layering on top of that which can almost be done instantly.

There is a YouTube video demonstrating the spray here https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=v-E_ElExUts.

To prevent too many of the fibres shooting out I touch the crocodile clip onto the metal base of the cup which seems to discharge any remaining static. I don't know whether this is bad for the unit or not but it seems to help.

Thanks for polak tip - I'll have a look for that.

There are soe good fibers from another Tsjech brand. Modelscene has a range of 5 colors wich I believe are very good. I recommend them at the moment. With these 5 colors with a small addition of the redish brown Mininatur you can mix and match almost any color..

• RMweb Gold

For those on a budget, or tight like me, I can recommend making this simple home made device which is a step up from the usual fly swatter devices. I had a few bits lying around, including the 12v power supply (I would suspect most modern households accumulate all sorts of power supplies when equipment breaks or becomes obsolete) so it was a no-brainer to have a go at it.

The negative ion generator was £2.77 inc postage from ebay, 99p shop containers and a quid for a pipe coupling. That was it for the expense, as I say I had the other bits and bobs around the house. It wouldn't have been expensive even if I had had to buy these bits.

Links to how to videos are here (pt.1) and here (pt.2)

A couple of poor photos showing results with some cheap 6mm fibres.

post-6683-0-01625000-1436727699_thumb.jpg

post-6683-0-87456500-1436727707_thumb.jpg

post-6683-0-71695000-1436727720_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Just found this on Facebook guys 

I’ve been playing around with 20mm static grass fibres, now available from WW Scenics (www.war-world.co.uk), and have found that tea strainer grass planting tools are not suitable, but the latest GrassMaster by Noch or Pro Grass tools by WW Scenics, with the largest mesh cap on, work well. (PM)

11063886_10153063793653207_3512004105658

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for that. I shall be ordering some to try. Do you just do the one olive shade as it shows twice on the website but only one picture?

Advice please about 'layering spray'. I've used strong hold hairspray fairly successfully and tried 3m's strong aerosol fixative but that tends to leave an unwanted white finish. I would assume that it is somewhere between the two.

Thanks.

Thanks for that. I shall be ordering some to try. Do you just do the one olive shade as it shows twice on the website but only one picture?

Advice please about 'layering spray'. I've used strong hold hairspray fairly successfully and tried 3m's strong aerosol fixative but that tends to leave an unwanted white finish. I would assume that it is somewhere between the two.

Thanks.

Hi John,

We only have it in Olive at the moment but will have new colours soon, just in different shades of green.

Layering Spray. Its a lot stronger than the hair spray for a more permanent fix and is very fine spray, we sell lots of it and Im sure some guys on here will tell you about it, you can really build up your layers, plus you dont have to wait until it dries. hope that answers your question

Martyn 

I'm very happy with my WWS applicator ( having made a cheapy fly swatter model ) ..........

A grass applicator is for life not just Christmas, well worth splashing out on one if you intend to model scenery for many years to come !

I have made a fly swatter grass applicator. It doesn't work at all. Just a waste of time and now my house is full of flies.

Shame the noch is so expensive...anyone in the telford area want to rent one out?

We are going to Telford the below show, come and see us Ill show the Pro Grass and the new heads we are doing for them now. ask for me Martyn

Sat 5th - Sun 6th ~ September 

The Gauge 0 Guild Ltd - Guildex 2015 

International Centre,

Shropshire

TF3 4JH

Sat 3rd & Sun 4th ~ October 2015

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi All,

Just a couple more snaps from my work with the Greenkeeper - apologies for the poor Photoshop skills! I blended a few layers to increase depth of field and (very poorly!) added a sky which I thought was better than the bookcase but maybe not!

post-2155-0-82492600-1438954885_thumb.jpg

post-2155-0-01621300-1438954861_thumb.jpg

post-2155-0-08431300-1438954858_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

I am very happy!

Not only is the quality of the product good but I had a small fault with my first unit and after I emailed to tell them the company shipped a brand new unit the next day!

Excellent service!

• Like 1

Not sure if this is help to anyone but I use this as a rule of thumb some friendly advise  

Static Grass 2mm has been around some time for some time, however 4mm 6mm and certainly 10mm 12mm is a pretty new concept to the modelling world.

So some hints as to where to start

If your Modelling in double O gauge we suggest that you use your 2mm grass as a base grass. it covers well there is no need to paint your base board first and the bold colours are a good start.

Then your 4mm and 6mm grass is your detailing grass

This is where you can add the great colours and height to the grass, make sure you lay in patches. Some 4mm in an area and the 6mm in another, the idea is to multi layer. You can add Patchy Grass and Dead Grass to give you loads of different tones.

Last is the 10 mm and 12mm

These are used a s a finishing grass.

If you have embankments, unkept areas, around loco sheds, behind stations, in a field of battle on your diorama. These will give you the tall grass or as a haze over your wild meadow.

Tools 
it all starts with a good applicator. It should have the heads to allow the different sized heads to fall through.

A good basing glue, one that will carry a good current from the applicator.

Layering Spray for your detailing and finishing grass

With these techniques there is no reason why you can not achieve a finished area of 1m squared with in 10 minute. You do not need to wait for the glue to dry and with a good selection of colours from WWS you can achieve a real

• Like 1

Not sure if this is help to anyone but I use this as a rule of thumb some friendly advise  

Static Grass 2mm has been around some time for some time, however 4mm 6mm and certainly 10mm 12mm is a pretty new concept to the modelling world.

So some hints as to where to start

If your Modelling in double O gauge we suggest that you use your 2mm grass as a base grass. it covers well there is no need to paint your base board first and the bold colours are a good start.

Then your 4mm and 6mm grass is your detailing grass

This is where you can add the great colours and height to the grass, make sure you lay in patches. Some 4mm in an area and the 6mm in another, the idea is to multi layer. You can add Patchy Grass and Dead Grass to give you loads of different tones.

Last is the 10 mm and 12mm

These are used a s a finishing grass.

If you have embankments, unkept areas, around loco sheds, behind stations, in a field of battle on your diorama. These will give you the tall grass or as a haze over your wild meadow.

Tools 

it all starts with a good applicator. It should have the heads to allow the different sized heads to fall through.

A good basing glue, one that will carry a good current from the applicator.

Layering Spray for your detailing and finishing grass

With these techniques there is no reason why you can not achieve a finished area of 1m squared with in 10 minute. You do not need to wait for the glue to dry and with a good selection of colours from WWS you can achieve a real

WWs,

What length static grasses do you recommend for N gauge?

Regards,

Anthony Ashley

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/71151-north-welsh-coast-railway-welsh-dragon-rail/page-1

• Like 1

WWs,

What length static grasses do you recommend for N gauge?

Regards,

Anthony Ashley

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/71151-north-welsh-coast-railway-welsh-dragon-rail/page-1

Hi Anthony,

We use 1mm and 2mm grass. there are some layouts with our 6mm on it depends on how much to scale you are. But 1mm and 2mm will be fine 

Kind Regards

Martyn

Dear All,

I have sent a couple of emails 2 weeks ago to RTS asking if they will sell a Greenkeeper 35kV to be sent to Australia. I have had no reply so the service is not very inspiring. Anyone know if they will send to Australia.

Regards,

Anthony Ashley