Static Grass Tips and Techniques

MichaelW

• RMweb Gold

Hi, hoping some one can reply from this thread (John maybe?) I ordered a 35 RTS nearly 2 weeks ago and received an email to confirm the order but haven't had it delivered yet or confirmation of it being posted. How long did it take to get to you from Germany?

I've emailed to check all is ok but no reply and my German is a bit iffy!

Thanks.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Harry,

It was the same for my delivery. I was beginning to wonder if all was well but shortly after these thoughts, it arrived!

IIRC it was around 2½ weeks.

Never looked back after receiving it. I now have to master using the thing to get results like Martin's above. I live in hope!

This is some of his work: https://www.flickr.com/photos/70786383@N06/

Well, you're right here. Lotta stuff on the tub...depending on what you want to achieve, I personaly find them to much "the shoot fibers in a tick coat of glue" range. Although I know  most of you don't speak German but most of the time pictures speak for them selfs. There's a great book from Joseph Brandl called Bauen wie Brandl teil 2..I can recommernd it. All books about his layouts are top notch.

Explained it to John in a PM before. Working on a book about this matter and my publisher don't want to see to much posted on the internet..sorry for that guys !

Well, you're right here. Lotta stuff on the tub...depending on what you want to achieve, I personaly find them to much "the shoot fibers in a tick coat of glue" range. Although I know  most of you don't speak German but most of the time pictures speak for them selfs. There's a great book from Joseph Brandl called Bauen wie Brandl teil 2..I can recommernd it. All books about his layouts are top notch.

Explained it to John in a PM before. Working on a book about this matter and my publisher don't want to see to much posted on the internet..sorry for that guys !

...and when is this book expected out? It's in English, may we assume?

Just finished chapter one Giles :angel: and yes it is in English

This book can be downloaded on iPads /iPhones using the BahnKiosk app, however, it will only print in German and NOT in English unfortunately.

Edited by bgman

Hopefully yoy're talking about the Brandl books and not mine to come...otherwise you know more then I do... :scratchhead:

Correct, I thought it might be useful just in case there was any confusion.

Are you able to confirm any details about your pending book and where it can be obtained ?

Edited by bgman

The truth is staid grassing is not hard to do, you really don't need youtube or books on how to do it, if you do make a mistake it turns into a good idea. You can not really get it wrong because grass is not regimental. I have been using static grass for the last 10 years, in War dioramas and commission work, it does take practise and getting your colours choice does help, but the best thing is playing with it and having fun, because when you do get it right it looks awesome.  

Hopefully helpful and informative :)

• Like 1

Took you ten years ? Dunno, books or vids can turn out helpfull. These Brandl books where a lotta help, so are the Gordon Gravett ones..to me tho..as are proper tools..Dioramas thats a different thing then layouts but in fibers its all in the mix and match. I use a lot of Mininatur fibers but still mix'm to get my colors right..Love the Mininatur colors although some of them are to German IMO. Lotta manufacturers use these silly hard yellow and red fibers. Like Noch and Heki, they may be look good from a distance but in this time of digital photography they are not done..IMO..When it comes to fibers I like the Modelscene, just 5 colors , not hard to handle and easily mixed to the color you want. As are the Mininatur..5 colors Modelscene and the redish Mininatur and you can make all colors you want..

• Like 1

Ah some of the best modellers I have seen are diorama modellers, We are Painters as well as Model makers. I don't use any other make of grass. I shall not mention who I use at the risk of a roasting, But blends and colours not a problem. Sometimes you can over think and over research, Self taught is better than any book or you tube. But That is my own thoughts,

10 years of experience in some of the most detailed Modelling there is. 

You're right some of the best are diorama builders, spending a year or 2 on 0.5 M2, totaly different league as spending 2 years on 8m2 of layou to get it ready for shows. And you can mention that you use your own brand.

Self taught, as an artist myself I have my influences, combine stuff and so on...but like most artists I'm not an inventor..so check books and vids, combine and make a technique for yourself..

Thanks, We do not use any red at all I hate those colours, And with entering Golden Demon a few times certainly hones your skills. That is why I produced a large colour range. Our commission work is not in layouts, To tell you the truth I know nothing about the Rail industry, that is why we are in scenery and work over all types of modelling. 

I do like your photos and the use of your colours, your book will help people, I wish I had time to do one just on scenery and painting. Im no artist `I can't even draw a stick man, I found out  I can paint and do commission work as a pro painter, But love doing the scenery and love helping others. :)

Once I tipped a whole bag of fibres along an embankment, flooded it with varnish and teased it up with a darning needle. I thought it looked terrible but everyone that saw it thought it was marvellous !

Got a picture of it somewhere but I daren't show it on this amazing thread !

Also, I bought a Noch Grassmaster but couldn't work it so phoned up Peter Marriot who came all the way out from Milton Keenes to Scunthorps, told me to try switching it on then left !

Great guy PM, one of the best.

Cheers.

Allan

Once I tipped a whole bag of fibres along an embankment, flooded it with varnish and teased it up with a darning needle. I thought it looked terrible but everyone that saw it thought it was marvellous !

Got a picture of it somewhere but I daren't show it on this amazing thread !

Also, I bought a Noch Grassmaster but couldn't work it so phoned up Peter Marriot who came all the way out from Milton Keenes to Scunthorps, told me to try switching it on then left !

Great guy PM, one of the best.

Cheers.

Allan

I totally agree PM is an awesome guy and knows his scenics