Static Grass Tips and Techniques

MichaelW

Thank you for the photos Cliff,

It just goes to show you do not need to pay a fortune to create standing grass. I think one of those fancy applicators cost the best part of £200 :O .

ATB,

Martyn.

In the interests of fairness - I think that 'up to £200' is somewhat mis-leading. The Green-Scenes Flock-it, which I sold my Grass-Master to buy, because it was so much better, retails at £80.00.

Running on 12v, that will happily dispense fibres well over 12mm long if required, and give a very high density.

I have no connection with Green-Scenes other than as a satisfied customer.

As always, it's a matter of personal choice, and many people won't want to spend £80 on a static machine, but they certainly don't have to spend any more than that.....

Edited by Giles

• RMweb Gold

Giles is quite right .The 'Greenscenes' machine is excellent and it's as good as the Noch 'GrasMaster. which did cost me £125 a few years ago but I've now bought the latest  'GrasMaster 2.0' which runs at 20kv as opposed to the original version which ran at 12kv.

The results are superb with this machine which I got from Germany for around £100 (£130 or thereabouts over here). They are now priced at €109 (£87) due to the strong pound against the euro. http://www.modellbah...in_produkt.html

If good results can be achieved with the 'fly swat' method for shorter fibres that's great,  but for 10mm/12mm ones the machines would be needed I feel.

After all...you pays your money you takes your choice as they say!

I model in 00, and it is unlikely I would ever use 12mm grass, (3 feet high in scale terms). I perfectly understand that the longer stems would be used in other scales. I have some longer grass on order, and when it arrives and I have had  a chance to try it I will let you know how my cheapy grasser works. May I say I only made a cheap version to see if they worked. I would probably never have bought an expensive one, using other methods for grass. By the way has anybody used a static grass machine for flock on trees, hedges etc? A bit like modern car spray shops, in theory, the static effect should work at attracting the flock to the armature. In other words, looking for the attraction effect, not the sticky-up effect. 

• RMweb Premium

By the way has anybody used a static grass machine for flock on trees, hedges etc? 

Yes - Gordon Gravett. In his two volumes on modelling trees, published by Wild Swan, he discusses using these fibres both to provide the thorns on a hawthorn and the needles on a conifer. Short version: it works!

From my own experiments, it also works on rubberised horsehair (for bushes/hedges). 

The grass on this post http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/92499-scalscenes-bridge/was done with a flyswat/T-strainer, I have used it with good results with up to 6mm fibres, haven't tried longer yet but did experiment with some cut up sisal hanging basket liner which is thicker and longer thatn 6mm and it made that stand up as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Have a go at mixing your own David. Using Woodland Scenics Field Grass - http://woodlandscenics.woodlandscenics.com/show/category/fieldgrass/ you can blend your own lengths and colour mixes. You may look at a pack and think "that's not much for £3.00" but it goes further than you think.

The tufts on BCB's wasteland were applied by hand rather than through a grass machine but it uses the aforementioned materials. In fact you'll struggle to get long fibres through the tea-strainer types of applicator, it needs something with a big mesh and a bit of oomph.

attachicon.gifBCB_tufts.jpg

Click to blow it up to full size.

Grass master has a big mesh and lots of oomph, make even long fibers stand up.

Edited by darren01

My first attempt at using my home made fly-swat applicator. rather than using a tea strainer I found a £1.50 sugar sifting pot. Once attached and connected on the fly-swat handle it means I can fill it with fibres and they won't fall out as the cup screws onto the frame.

post-9629-0-86138700-1419345139_thumb.jpg

Just to make sure I went over again with the balloon trick.

The grass fibres are "Green scene" short and medium lengths.

There is some leaf scatter under the grass layer to provide some colour variation. Clumps of Woodland scenics foliage and underbush make up most of the rest.

Adrian

• Like 2

Has anybody come across this piece of kit before?

The Flockbox.

post-18421-0-33794500-1419703963.jpg

http://www.warpainter.net/Flockboxpages/Flockbox.html

It's actually quite a good tool.

I've tried it once or twice and it will make really good "tufts" and small random bit of grass all day long.

I suspect it's not really designed for covering great swathes but considering what I paid for it I'm more than pleased.

post-18421-0-25149600-1419704534.jpg

post-18421-0-11391500-1419704553.jpg

I bought it primarily after seeing the work of Pelle Soeberg whose Mojave Desert scenery is a real inspiration.

http://www.soeeborg.dk/photogalleryeng.html

Apologies for the rubbish photos but hopefully you get the idea.

And I should say I have no connection with the manufacturer other than a happy customer.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Excellent find there Ross. :sungum:

I'll be ordering one! It looks to have excellent abilities for tufts in many different sizes.

I always have a little bother when using the 'GrasMaster' when trying to get into tight corners.

Yeah, love topics about static grass !! Startin in modeling in 2010 I bought the Noch grasmaster 1.0 but didn't like it because it lacks power. Converted it to run on 12V and attached a lead to to sieve to have it's power on the fronr end. Still although the Noch says it produces 15kV, it lacks power and on 12V it can generate 12kV. Experimented a lot with grasses tey asked me to green a layout 300m2 in Essen Germany. First time I worked with a Maag Eroflock, and man thats the machine, 70kV of pure power but not affordable for the average modeler. Still making it my profession I bought the 975 euro without VAT machine. Lotta people over the pond started to see mee as an expert on modeling grasses and stuff Noch profided me with their new 2.0 , it's way better then the new one, but I model 0 scale and like to use 12mm fibers..they wouldn't stand te way I wanted them. Another package came in for test runs. New company from Germany called RTS. Their Greenkeepers come in the range from 15, 35 and 55 kV . Although used to the explosive power of the Maag I truely can recommend these RTS's. A clever design wich makes use of the power the device generates. For 00 and 0 scale the 35kV will do, with lots of longer fibers used they have a 55KV. Static power you can smell..

Want grasses like this..

14258888335_a94d719508_b.jpgDSC_3145_1345 by milocomarty, on Flickr

14786649026_c3e91545da_b.jpgDSC_3361_1515 by milocomarty, on Flickr

15276441181_5ace27781c_b.jpgDSC_3454_1604 by milocomarty, on Flickr

15092865730_92a79f6fda_b.jpgDSC_3459_1608 by milocomarty, on Flickr

15092990608_5c316523a4_b.jpgDSC_3477_1626 by milocomarty, on Flickr

You need power...a converted flyswatter won't work IMO

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Superb effect with those mixed textures. Plain rough grass does look nice but is rarely seen without weeds.

My original machine works quite well for me but the new 20kv GrasMaster 2.0 is so much better. I would love to use 70kv but that machine is a little too expensive for me!

Do you need rubber boots on your feet when using it? :O  :D ...............!

A link for everybody to your other scenic work: http://stummiforum.de/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=70994&p=1206575&hilit=pine+trees#p1206575

Edited by Re6/6
  • Like 1

Hi John,

thanks for the nice comments, and I do have rubber soles under my shoes  :O ...no no need for that..Ithe maag is one hell of a machine but for those who serious like to model grasses and stuff I recommend the RTS greenkeepers..value for the money, although they are not cheap they are way better as anything else I tried..

http://www.rts-greenkeeper.de/

The 35kV is the same price as the Noch 2.0 ( recommended price) but you have a couple of V's more  :sungum:

Yeah, love topics about static grass !! Startin in modeling in 2010 I bought the Noch grasmaster 1.0 but didn't like it because it lacks power. Converted it to run on 12V and attached a lead to to sieve to have it's power on the fronr end. Still although the Noch says it produces 15kV, it lacks power and on 12V it can generate 12kV. Experimented a lot with grasses tey asked me to green a layout 300m2 in Essen Germany. First time I worked with a Maag Eroflock, and man thats the machine, 70kV of pure power but not affordable for the average modeler. Still making it my profession I bought the 975 euro without VAT machine. Lotta people over the pond started to see mee as an expert on modeling grasses and stuff Noch profided me with their new 2.0 , it's way better then the new one, but I model 0 scale and like to use 12mm fibers..they wouldn't stand te way I wanted them. Another package came in for test runs. New company from Germany called RTS. Their Greenkeepers come in the range from 15, 35 and 55 kV . Although used to the explosive power of the Maag I truely can recommend these RTS's. A clever design wich makes use of the power the device generates. For 00 and 0 scale the 35kV will do, with lots of longer fibers used they have a 55KV. Static power you can smell..

Want grasses like this..

You need power...a converted flyswatter won't work IMO

Some great work there. May I ask what brand of fibres you use please? Edited by Tase

Besides doin grasses I do use this static machine for more stuff like bushes trees and so on..

10279830835_3fd86e7704_b.jpgDSC_2525_819 by milocomarty, on Flickr

15256545726_a575c92db1_b.jpgDSC_3485_1634 by milocomarty, on Flickr

15806386890_2e830bfa66_b.jpgDSC_3717_1840 by milocomarty, on Flickr

DSC_3717_1840 by milocomarty, on Flickr

14297060672_ff45623d06_b.jpgDSC_3186_1379 by milocomarty, on Flickr

Edited by milocomarty
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Has anybody come across this piece of kit before?

The Flockbox.

attachicon.gifFlockbox.jpg

New toy now ordered from a very helpful chap.

Machine

Recommended charger:

Hi John,

thanks for the nice comments, and I do have rubber soles under my shoes  :O ...no no need for that..Ithe maag is one hell of a machine but for those who serious like to model grasses and stuff I recommend the RTS greenkeepers..value for the money, although they are not cheap they are way better as anything else I tried..

http://www.rts-greenkeeper.de/

The 35kV is the same price as the Noch 2.0 ( recommended price) but you have a couple of V's more  :sungum:

Have you tried the 35kv version? I use from 1mm to 10mm fibres. As you say it has a similar 'retail' price as the 2.0 Noch so looks to be good value. I would love to get the 55kv version but maybe a bit above my price range!

I love the idea of static that you can smell! :O

Edited by Re6/6
  • Like 1

I did try them all John, Work with the 35 and 55 in my workshops. They really good value for the money, well build machines. The difference between the RTS and the Noch is the thick aluminium bottom in the cup. Charges the fibers way better..

See no real use for this flockbox, you can do the same with every static machine..

• 2 months later...

Besides doin grasses I do use this static machine for more stuff like bushes trees and so on..

10279830835_3fd86e7704_b.jpgDSC_2525_819 by milocomarty, on Flickr

15256545726_a575c92db1_b.jpgDSC_3485_1634 by milocomarty, on Flickr

15806386890_2e830bfa66_b.jpgDSC_3717_1840 by milocomarty, on Flickr

DSC_3717_1840 by milocomarty, on Flickr

14297060672_ff45623d06_b.jpgDSC_3186_1379 by milocomarty, on Flickr

Astounding effect on the tree! That alone is worth buying an applicator. Could you explain your process on this?

Cheers

Pete

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

I've now received the 'Greenkeeper 55kv' machine from Germany.

I'm very pleased with it indeed. Unscrewing the grill cap to top up even when it's switched off fibres are propelled upwards!

post-6728-0-31701300-1429707210_thumb.jpg

First quick effort.  It took only a few shakes to get this. The machine is 'awesome' (using the word properly!) 

post-6728-0-98738400-1429707300_thumb.jpg

• Like 6