Static Grass Tips and Techniques

MichaelW

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

Having seen johns new greenkeeper in action at the Taunton meet yesterdayand seeing how quickly it applies the grass I will be placing an order to get one.

I have used the noch one in the past and I have to say it isn't a patch on this, I've never seen one firing the grass out of the top of it as its being loaded and switched off. Well worth the money and thank you to Martin for informing us of this.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Yes Simon, I was very pleased,

It was the first proper experimentation with it. The real 'plus' for me over other machines of a lower voltage is the 55kv power that propels the fibres out of the chamber at much a higher static charge which results in virtually no 'fall over' of the 'grass'. which does occur with the lower voltage machines.

I have much experimenting with it to do before learning all its virtues!

I rate it 10/10 points!

Edited by Re6/6
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I've now received the 'Greenkeeper 55kv' machine from Germany.

I'm very pleased with it indeed. Unscrewing the grill cap to top up even when it's switched off fibres are propelled upwards!

attachicon.gifGreenkeeper 3.jpg

First quick effort.  It took only a few shakes to get this. The machine is 'awesome' (using the word properly!) 

attachicon.gifGreenkeeper 1.jpg

€239.95 och!

• RMweb Gold

€239.95 och!

Yes it is expensive so it won't suit everyone's needs, but like with everything..."you get what you pay for"

Where this machine wins over the new(ish) Noch GrasMaster 2.0, which is supposed to put out 20kv and was considered to be the best currently, is that there is virtually no 'fall over' of the fibres into the glue which does require additional work to get as many as you can vertical. Quite a few always get stuck in the glue never to reappear.

When switched on, with the very high static charge, the fibres positively shoot out through the grille spear-like into the glue. With much use, the waste of fibres (into the glue) is greatly reduced giving me a saving on the relatively expensive long fibres. I purchased a blond party wig (don't ask!) made from beige nylon-like fibres and I cut some 'extra long' lengths to see if it would cope with them. With the natural curl imparted to the fibres in manufacture, I'm experimenting with getting the natural 'curvature' of long clumps of grass or weeds with very fine ground foam added. Work in progress at the moment.

My main reason for buying this machine is that we have a very large amount of grass meadow (around 5m²) to do for Balcombe. Then there's other projects 'in the wind'!

Maybe the 239 euro's is ouch, but you buy a machine for live. This 55kV has only 15kV less than the Maag Flock, a professional machine wich I payed 975 euros without VAT for. So compare price to voltage it is a real bargain. For those who model smaller scales. The 35kV is more than sufficient for all work but has a pricetag the same as the Noch..but 15kV more. And I guess John can back me up in this, the RTS has a better way to distribute the power by having a thick aluminium plate at the top of the cup instead of this grafite laquer Noch uses...

Make a note here, like a lot of work also in real live good tools makes the job easier.. 

I think it may have been mentioned previously, but for what it is worth, I purchased an applicator from WWS about 12 months ago. It came in its own case together with some samples. I note it is currently being sold for £ 114.99p which I feel is good value and there are various videos on YouTube by the owner ( with whom I have spoken on several occasions and found to be extremely helpful ).

Prior to this I too made a fly-swatter applicator and as mentioned elsewhere in this thread, I am of the opinion that it is not suitable for long static grass applications.

I've also used the WWS applicator on trees to emphasise them and found it to be more than up for the work in hand.

As always, happy modelling one and all :)

Just checked the WWS, only 12kV..ok it's 3 times a fly swatter but for that price I would consider purchasing the 35kV RTS from Germany or Holland, almost the same price with the GBP value against the euro...this is the time guys

Interesting, I'm certainly happy with my purchase, just purely out of interest, should anything go wrong with a purchase from Europe ( hopefully not!) how easy is it to get it fixed / exchanged ? Just a thought :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Everyone, I thought Id lend my expertise with Applicators, The power really does not matter, as long as the grass has room to receive the charge before it leaves the hopper. We sell the Pro Grass Applicator to the car trade to do there dash boards and door cards, they report that it works fine. With us you get a full warranty and the back up support with you tube tutorials, talk to us in shows (which we are going to loads starting this year) or give us a ring 01792 864250. The Fly swots do not work because the power is in the wrong place. I spent a year developing the Pro Grass and have done lots of test you have to have a hopper for the Grass to work. If you check out how our Pro Grass Box works, the plate is the charge and throws the grass to the Positive the crocodile clip. If your thinking of buying an app please ask us first, we dont do hard selling and will give you honest advise, ask anyone who has spoken to us.

Hope this helps

Martyn  

The power really does not matter

I do have another opinion on this matter, power does matter otherwise a Maag flockmachine would use lesser power. Not saying the WWS machine won't do the trick, never compared it to the Noch, Heki or RTS ones but I will state that more power needs the job easier..Working with a lot of machines in the past year my main choice still is the Maag, otherwise one comes close to the Maag is the 55kV RTS..not endorsing any brand..just experience..

• Like 1

I do have another opinion on this matter, power does matter otherwise a Maag flockmachine would use lesser power. Not saying the WWS machine won't do the trick, never compared it to the Noch, Heki or RTS ones but I will state that more power needs the job easier..Working with a lot of machines in the past year my main choice still is the Maag, otherwise one comes close to the Maag is the 55kV RTS..not endorsing any brand..just experience..

I Developed the WWS Pro Grass, its regarded as of the best. I tested it against the fly swots and the Grasmaster 1 we have had reviews on our app to with model rail and BRM which state we are the best buy on the market, So why buy abroad when I make them my self in Britain and you get the support from us as well as we have the full package. Like i stated before we sell ours to the car trade, I think 55kv is a waste no need for it when Our packs in just as much grass and stands our 12mm grass just fine. However this is my opinion We do have reviews from independent sources.

If your at any of the shows we are attending (dates on our website) please come over and Ill show you what the Pro Grass can do and how Power really does not make a difference   

Well, maybe just because I live abroad. So the first show in the UK for me will be the one at Glasgow februari 2016. Later I will bring my layout to the Warley show..

But if power isn't any issue why did Noch boost their grassmaster to 20kV. Seriously I do understand you stand behind the product you make. Good to see you have good reviews but they are a bit out of date, lots happened on the static front since 2013. But feel free to send me one for a decent test so I can compare the WWS applicator against the RTS. For now I stick to them if people ask me what the best buy on the market is. They developed a static applicator the last 2 years and boosted up the power. Guess the nowadays customer's getting used to static applicators and demand more power..

Btw, no UK magazine compared the WWS to the RTS so...

And with modern European law it doesn't matter where you purchase, and also a German or Dutch retailer will give you an honest answer..even Noch does  :yes:

Having looked at the price of €239.95 for the RTS how many of us would be happy to pay for one and then have it "hanging around" in that special modellers cupboard where many other items can be found, possibly keeping all those other purchases company, unused for long periods.

I'm happy to reiterate that for the price and friendly help/advice + many video instructions being available I am more than happy with my purchase from WWS at a good price point and all that their product does. I have no connection with said co. other than being a very satisfied customer.

Btw should be the same for the car trade, I know carpenters who buy a hammer, I have a workshop loaded with Festool tools..

Ok Not getting into a debate, just seems a waste of power and a reason to charge more. The Pro Grass is Rated the best on the market in the UK. Its powerful enough to do what Modellers want. We were tested against the Grasmaster 2 and ours was voted better. We have a Large hopper, Which in development was the biggest difference that allows the Static Grass to take the charge. Im afraid I have not  heard of the one you mentioned so I can not comment on its performance, and with a 55Kv, which I really do question as for the casement for the Ion must be massive Must produce good results, However I can not see how it can do any better what The Pro Grass or Nock Or Heki can produce. There are Tutorials on our website at the performance of the Pro Grass which packs the grass and stands it up all the way to 12mm, It would stand the 20mm up but the mesh is to small.

But I suppose each to there own. Static Grass is the buzz product you can achieve amazing results in very short amount of time, I do lots of demos and would be happy teaching anyone the new techniques we are developing and the products to go with them. 

Please this is my own opinion I am not trying to sell just giving hopefully helpful advise.

:) 

• Like 1

Having looked at the price of €239.95 for the RTS how many of us would be happy to pay for one and then have it "hanging around" in that special modellers cupboard where many other items can be found, possibly keeping all those other purchases company, unused for long periods.

I'm happy to reiterate that for the price and friendly help/advice + many video instructions being available I am more than happy with my purchase from WWS at a good price point and all that their product does. I have no connection with said co. other than being a very satisfied customer.

Still coming back on the 55kV machine, ok this is the 239,95 euro thingie but they have 3 in their range..the 15 kV is only 89.95 wich to current rate is only 64.50 GBP..and instruction video's are most of the time not the reference for purchase for me, lots of vids on the tub using a teasieve..

Still coming back on the 55kV machine, ok this is the 239,95 euro thingie but they have 3 in their range..the 15 kV is only 89.95 wich to current rate is only 64.50 GBP..and instruction video's are most of the time not the reference for purchase for me, lots of vids on the tub using a teasieve..

That's fine, it's whatever suits the individual, after all, it's only a hobby which we do to enjoy and satisfy ourselves.

I hope that everyone with an applicator, of whatever make enjoys using it and gets the results they require.

As ever ......... Happy modelling everyone :)

Or if you're Spanish ......... Gracias !

Ok you have now pushed your applicator enough. Every Applicator will stand grass up with out the clip and if anyone has seen me in shows, that is what i demonstrate.

So let me give you all a bit of friendly advise, Most proper applicators will stand grass up with out the grounding. However the clip side is the positive so it charges the glue so you get a good conductive area, IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH POWER. The grass is charged in the hopper so you need a large hopper, just like the Pro Grass and Grasmaster. I see the RTV has a small hopper. The glue then pulls the grass down thus standing it up and pack tightly. Even the Fly Swots will stand the Grass up without the clip. We have 20mm grass no one else produces it and our app stands it up. But we sell it as bushes or tree foliage.  

No need to buy a powerful one and I do question there claims of it being 55KV as the ION would be massive and would not fit in the handle.

Anyway folks, yes its a wonderful hobby  and I love grassing. I have had some amazing results just by playing and as I always say "if you make a mistake it turns into a great Idea"

post-26469-0-30945500-1435050721.jpeg