Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

For the uninitiated, Phoenix Precision Paints.

I believe Southern Railways Group (SRG) also uses the Phoenix name for the range of former BSL aluminium coach kits.

gr,

All "O" Gauge kits listed as "Out of Stock" for the last 7 months on their website. Not exactly encouraging.

Regards,Derek.

How Bachmann can say they are in no hurry to produce a Thompson Pacific beats me!  Modern, big, named and green.............Good gawd boyo, prejudice against Thompson is taking things a bit far when silver is burning holes in modellers pockets for one of these.....!  :smoke:

I would love an A2.........we are talking about the Raven 'City' A2s aren't we...... :jester:

• Like 1

I would love an A2.........we are talking about the Raven 'City' A2s aren't we...... :jester:

You are..........................................................................................................................................................................................We aren't!  :biggrin_mini2:

You are..........................................................................................................................................................................................We aren't!  :biggrin_mini2:

Uncultured!  :beee: (In all fairness, the A2s were not Raven's greatest design)......

A B16 on the other hand.... :D

Edited by 2750

Another bundle of models to photograph for BRM included this most-attractive Heljan Birmingham RC&W Type 2 (Class 26).

post-18225-0-10169300-1408534024_thumb.jpg

I've photographed it running light-engine on Little Bytham (after fixing on the Devilshly-difficult disc/half-disc codes). Could this be right? Obviously, they were built in Birmingham, and the first batch (of which this is one) was delivered to the south end of the the GN for use on the suburban services out of the 'Cross. Like many of their contemporaries (other than the Brush Type 2s), they didn't stay long, and were transferred to Scotland. But, would one (or two) have run up or down the ECML from/to Doncaster for attention? If so, I'll acquire one. 

post-18225-0-04971400-1408534013_thumb.jpg

I think it's a safe bet that the Baby Deltics ran to Doncaster to be fixed from time to time- many times - (or were they repaired at Stratford?). Either way, I've assumed this one is 'stumbling' north through Little Bytham for attention at the Plant. It's by Heljan as well and I've weathered it. It actually, like the BRW&W Type 2, runs superbly. 

• Like 9

Very encouraging to see that PDK sorted out those discrepancies in the A2/1 at the head of this page.

On the matter of return cranks, I'm just in the (surprisingly easy so far) process of adapting some V2 Comet motion to fit a new-type Bachmann V2 chassis in lieu of the heavy rods mostly carried over from the early 1990s Bachmann version (wholly wrong fish belly coupling rods and all). It begins to look as if there is actually a very simple way to fit the slender Comet return cranks to the fat Bachmann crankpins so as to have them set at precisely the desired angle AND firmly keyed in place so that they cannot flop around if the securing screw alone fails to clamp them.

• Like 1

I like the look of some of those SOUTHERN models...

As I hinted previously, here's that V2 again, resin bodied, Bachmann new-type chassis, and substitute (adapted) Comet valve gear, shown below a "factory" Bachmann chassis (kindly loaned by Tom Foster) facilitating comparison with the chunkier original valve gear and fish-bellied coupling rods:

post-3445-0-42873500-1408650474_thumb.jpg

Should anybody want to know more about the valve gear adaptation I can direct them to notes and a couple of other images elsewhere on the web......

Edited by gr.king
  • Like 3

Tony,

thank you for a great day, it was a privilege to get to play on Little Bytham and to run your stock. Hugely enjoyable.

I can only comment on the 72xx, a PDK kit that I built over many visits to Missenden Abbey, some under your tutelage.

Once again thank you for hosting us at Little Bytham, it was a testament to how enjoyable the day was that the time seemed to go by so quickly.

Mark

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

That last picture on Tony's set appears to be an Engineers' Inspection train complete with accommodation coach......is that it? If so, what a lovely set of stock.

Also Tony,  this 'duck' agrees  wholeheartedly with the that's what modelling is all about sentiment.

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1

Tony,

Is that not the Guy who was in the "Shadows"  @  one time. I mean the real  shadows  of Scarborough. :nono: .

Regards,Derek.

Indeed it is, Ian Harper of Scarborough based Shadows Music.

Well worth watching and listening to if you get the chance.

That last picture on Tony's set appears to be an Engineers' Inspection train complete with accommodation coach......is that it? If so, what a lovely set of stock.

Also Tony,  this 'duck' agrees  wholeheartedly with the that's what modelling is all about sentiment.

Phil

Phil,

The second vehicle in the rake is a Cinema Coach. As for the rest, Mr Muz will have to explain, though he said some of them were Marc Models' products. They looked very good indeed.

Further to visits by good friends, Mr & Mrs Queensquare were here on Tuesday, on their way up to (eventually) see Retford and Buckingham, thence on to the Blyth show. Some of the 2mm FS stuff they brought was exquisite but it wouldn't run on my track; something to do with scale/gauge differences. Still, they too had a good time, especially whipping the 'Lizzie' through at way beyond MALLARD's record!  

Thanks for the kind comments, Jerry and Kim.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

One of the great joys of owning a model railway is to invite dear friends round for a running day. And I mean a running day, where they can operate all my trains and, most importantly, run their own. They can also run it by themselves, as I disappear to make coffee/tea or what have you.

Today was no exception, when members young and not-so-young of the High Wycombe & District MRC arrived for a go at running Little Bytham. Taking aside my incompetence at operating, there were just a few 'brown' marks (operator error) and one 'dark-brown' mark (train divided). There was also just one 'black mark' (a derailment!) where a loco whose tender frames I hadn't built came off whilst reversing. In several hours of extensive running, I didn't think that was too bad. Gentlemen, I compliment you on your driving. Yes, as folk learned the controls there were some hairy moments, but it was all great fun, which surely is what railway modelling is all about.

Many and varied were the visiting locos and stock, including some Bulleid items and a couple of royal trains. I think it's safe to say that nothing like these have ever been seen before at Little Bytham. A nut went missing (since found - make of that what you will) and also a buffer seems to have gone astray. I couldn't resist a touch of smugness when an SR loco proved unable to pull its train, then my A5 tank just walked away with it, but it's a joy to see other modellers' stock in operation on my trainset. Perhaps the owners might wish to explain to members as to the details of what's in the pictures, please.

Unfortunately, I forgot to take a shot of a younger modeller's work, a GWR 0-6-2T, but there'll always be another occasion.

Surely fun days like these make the making of a model railway worthwhile. And, what I liked the most about the visitors' stock was that, apart from a couple of items, they'd made it themselves. Railway modelling at its true core in my opinion.

Once more, thanks again for the great company.

Phil

Tony

All I can say is what a great day we all had, it was indeed an excellent, fun and enjoyable day just as the hobby should be. Like you I found the day a real tonic and full of laughter, enjoyment and great company. Thank you very much indeed.

With respect to some of the visiting stock, I could not resist infiltrating the ECML with some malachite green. Firstly in the shape of a Millholme kit of an original Merchant Navy 21C6 one of the fist batch of ten ahead of a rake of Phoenix (ex BSL) Bulleid coaching stock. More information on my Merchant navy fleet can be read on my blog here  http://grahammuz.com/2011/09/14/talking-stock-1-bulleid-merchant-navy-pacific’s/

Skipping past the couple of pictures of another railway, the Bulleid Leader is built from a Golden Arrow Productions batch of parts (more information can be found on my blog here http://grahammuz.com/2012/05/04/talking-stock-8-is-it-a-diesel-is-it-steam-its-a-bulleid-leader/

The final image is of my Nu-Cast Drummond T14 that has graced this thread before coupled to firstly the SR Cinema coach number 1308s paired with is generator van 1309s and secondly to Bulleid 'Inspection saloon' number 100s, in reality an 12 berth sleeper coach along with its generator van 97s. More information on these unusual vehicles can be read here http://grahammuz.com/2011/12/19/talking-stock-5-sr-inspection-and-cinema-coaches/

More in formation on the T14 can be read here http://grahammuz.com/2012/11/16/talking-stock-18-drummonds-t14-class-4-6-0-he-had-to-get-one-almost-right/

Tony, once again many thanks for such a good day.

• Like 2

I was going to ask about the T14 Graham. I'm know nothing of Southern locomotives, but the T14 has such an unusual look.... I really like it! :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Tom

I agree the T14s had an unusual look due to their rebuilding that also including superheating. It always raises comments when running on Fisherton Sarum.

I also had a chance to have a good look and admire your excellent weathering on the K1 a super piece of work!

I also had a chance to have a good look and admire your excellent weathering on the K1 a super piece of work!

Thanks Graham, the K1 appears to have gone down well. Although Hornby's will be excellent I'm sure, and looking from the EP samples, to the same standard as the L1 and B1. However, working on the DMR K1, the loco has real presence (being metal) and it was certainly nice to work on a model where nothing fell off when you are working on it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

firstly the SR Cinema coach number 1308s paired with is generator van 1309s and secondly to Bulleid 'Inspection saloon' number 100s, in reality an 12 berth sleeper coach along with its generator van 97s. More information on these unusual vehicles can be read here http://grahammuz.com...cinema-coaches/

Thanks Graham. I've looked at those kits and.......... :stinker: 

What I really want is the LSWR 6 wheel bogie Inspection Saloon !

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

One or two familiar faces there!

Sounds like a good day was had by all.

As has been said, it can sometimes take days like these to remind us of just what a good hobby we are all involved with.

Sometimes it can be hard work, very frustrating and quite a lonely hobby and then you spend a great day with a bunch of similar minded people and all the fun element comes flooding back. I feel the same about exhibitions nowadays. The quality of the layouts and the traders matters less than the quality of the people I meet and chat with.

Tony

• Like 1

Another bundle of models to photograph for BRM included this most-attractive Heljan Birmingham RC&W Type 2 (Class 26).

attachicon.gifHeljan Class 26 D5300 26601 03.jpg

I've photographed it running light-engine on Little Bytham (after fixing on the Devilshly-difficult disc/half-disc codes). Could this be right? Obviously, they were built in Birmingham, and the first batch (of which this is one) was delivered to the south end of the the GN for use on the suburban services out of the 'Cross. Like many of their contemporaries (other than the Brush Type 2s), they didn't stay long, and were transferred to Scotland. But, would one (or two) have run up or down the ECML from/to Doncaster for attention? If so, I'll acquire one. 

attachicon.gifHeljan Baby Deltic weathered.jpg

I think it's a safe bet that the Baby Deltics ran to Doncaster to be fixed from time to time- many times - (or were they repaired at Stratford?). Either way, I've assumed this one is 'stumbling' north through Little Bytham for attention at the Plant. It's by Heljan as well and I've weathered it. It actually, like the BRW&W Type 2, runs superbly. 

There is photographic evidence that a number of diesel classes went initially to Doncaster Works for acceptance trials, prior to entering service on the Eastern Region.

Atlantic's little Booklet "Diesel Pioneers - the Colour of British Rail Vol 1" has a Bill Potter shot of two Baby Deltics, a 31, a 26 and a NB Type 2 dated May 1959 in the works yard, all new and gleamy,

Book Law's "Diesel Colour Portfolio"  of Keith Pirt's photos has a September 1958 view of NB Type 2 D6102 in the yard just after delivery.

I have seen other shots, but can't recall where!

So bright and shiny diesels heading south on Little Bytham for the southerly parts of the ER are quite prototypical, and given the track record in service it seems highly likely that they ran back to Doncaster for attention on a regular basis.  

John.

Edited by John Tomlinson
  • Like 1

One or two familiar faces there!

Sounds like a good day was had by all.

As has been said, it can sometimes take days like these to remind us of just what a good hobby we are all involved with.

Sometimes it can be hard work, very frustrating and quite a lonely hobby and then you spend a great day with a bunch of similar minded people and all the fun element comes flooding back. I feel the same about exhibitions nowadays. The quality of the layouts and the traders matters less than the quality of the people I meet and chat with.

Tony

Thanks Tony, and I entirely agree.

It might be not known that I was almost 'lynched' by members of the HW&DMRS because of comments I made in print about an anomalous situation on one of their layouts; suggesting that the W1 and a GWR 47XX 2-8-0 would never have been seen side-by-side. Since nobody in the intervening years has provided proof of such an unlikely occurrence, then I think I'm right.

But yesterday, there were umpteen anomalies, but it didn't matter. Guest stock performed very well in the main (though out-of-sight 2' 9" curves on the Up slow caused some sticking) and it was good to see others' work in action. However, what mattered most (to me) was that the layout ran (and ran, and ran). All of the 32 sets were run time after time with no failures (other than operator errors) apart from the one train dividing (tension-locks, soon to be replaced) and the one tender coming off in reverse. I've subsequently investigated the latter and it was caused by a cab door touching the front edge of the tender side. The door is now bent in a bit more and ceases to foul the tender; problem solved. An RTR loco was replaced on pick-up duties by a J6 because it wasn't smooth enough in comparison, but that's all. 

Above all it was fun!

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

There is photographic evidence that a number of diesel classes went initially to Doncaster Works for acceptance trials, prior to entering service on the Eastern Region.

Atlantic's little Booklet "Diesel Pioneers - the Colour of British Rail Vol 1" has a Bill Potter shot of two Baby Deltics, a 31, a 26 and a NB Type 2 dated May 1959 in the works yard, all new and gleamy,

Book Law's "Diesel Colour Portfolio"  of Keith Pirt's photos has a September 1958 view of NB Type 2 D6102 in the yard just after delivery.

I have seen other shots, but can't recall where!

So bright and shiny diesels heading south on Little Bytham for the southerly parts of the ER are quite prototypical, and given the track record in service it seems highly likely that they ran back to Doncaster for attention on a regular basis.  

John.

You are quite right, Doncaster was the main ER base for accepting new diesel locos.

Most of the acceptance trials took place on the old joint line from Doncaster to March, rather than the ECML. My good friend, the late Malcolm Crawley, worked on the acceptance trials in the late 1950s and often told tales of his trips on that route. That is not to say that new locos didn't travel up and down the main line but that was more positioning purposes rather than them being out on trials.

Tony