Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium

Tony

thanks to a visit to you earlier in the summer... and some heavy rain curtailing umpiring duties I have, after a long absence started to put together a loco kit.  It will eventually run on Herculaneum Dock (I Hope)... held at the moment for crankpins.. I know I have some somewhere but where????

post-7650-0-13934200-1408725925_thumb.jpg

best regards

Baz

• Like 3

A few more pictures of the Summer Excursions yesterday. One again many thanks to Tony I have also penned a few words on my blog here http://grahammuz.com/2014/08/22/a-summer-excursion-to-little-bytham/

attachicon.gifLB_35023_2a.jpg

attachicon.gifLB_21C6_1.jpg

attachicon.gifLB_21C6_2.jpg

Graham,

Many thanks for your kind words here and on your blog, but may I clarify a point, please? You mention on your blog that Little Bytham is being built by me. That implies (or might) a singular, when it is, in fact, the collective work of some very talented individuals - far more talented that I am in the field of baseboard-making, track-making, signalling installations and architectural modelling, amongst others. Granted, I've made most of the locos and made/modified most of the passenger rolling stock but none of the freight stock is my work.

I think it's essential to recognise and acknowledge the considerable input of others to a project. That's why, in my opinion, layouts built in their entirety by an individual (or small group, perhaps) are much more meritorious than those commissioned, no matter how grand the latter might appear; Tetleys Mills, for example, whose wonderful creator is sadly no longer with us. I can't think of a better example of individual modelling than that, and Dave wouldn't have 'squandered' his 'brass' when he could do the work (to a remarkable standard) himself - and did!

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 4

Tony

thanks to a visit to you earlier in the summer... and some heavy rain curtailing umpiring duties I have, after a long absence started to put together a loco kit.  It will eventually run on Herculaneum Dock (I Hope)... held at the moment for crankpins.. I know I have some somewhere but where????

attachicon.gifChassis (1280x523).jpg

best regards

Baz

Thanks Barry,

Obviously an 0-6-0, but a tank or tender loco? And, could it be of L&Y, GC, LMS or LNER origin? I'll need to check the wheel spacing to give a more accurate guess.

You've used a DS10. How do you make them run quietly, please? 

Tony.

• RMweb Gold

Graham,

Many thanks for your kind words here and on your blog, but may I clarify a point, please? You mention on your blog that Little Bytham is being built by me. That implies (or might) a singular, when it is, in fact, the collective work of some very talented individuals - far more talented that I am in the field of baseboard-making, track-making, signalling installations and architectural modelling, amongst others. Granted, I've made most of the locos and made/modified most of the passenger rolling stock but none of the freight stock is my work.

I think it's essential to recognise and acknowledge the considerable input of others to a project. That's why, in my opinion, layouts built in their entirety by an individual (or small group, perhaps) are much more meritorious than those commissioned, no matter how grand the latter might appear; Tetleys Mills, for example, whose wonderful creator is sadly no longer with us. I can't think of a better example of individual modelling than that, and Dave wouldn't have 'squandered' his 'brass' when he could do the work (to a remarkable standard) himself - and did!

Hi Tony,

No problem I have duly amended the post on my blog to reflect your collaborative and horse trading approach. I also totally agree with your kind words about Dave 'Tetley's' Shakespeare, whom I have also been privileged to know as a friend and visit to see his inspirational modelling in close up. His sad and untimely passing on is such a great loss.

• Like 1

Post 2137 - the photo has been passed to Interpol....

I have missed this fascinating thread, principally because I have never dipped into blogs and tend to live in 'Kitbuilding and Scratchbuilding'. It is great to see progress on Little Bytham. Generally, layout owners seem to be very humble about their creations, but like many things, the pleasure is in sharing the enjoyment. Running/operating sessions, or playing trains if you like, have brought me some great times and allowed me to meet and enjoy the company of like minded folk and make new friends, in what can be a quite solitary hobby at times.

Looking forward to seeing more!

Best Regards

Tony Geary

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Barry,

Obviously an 0-6-0, but a tank or tender loco? And, could it be of L&Y, GC, LMS or LNER origin? I'll need to check the wheel spacing to give a more accurate guess.

You've used a DS10. How do you make them run quietly, please? 

Tony.

Tony

Its a J11/3. It has some ultra scale gears fitted which helps with the noise. I have bedded the motor in so it shouldn't be too noisy. It came with the kit so let's see how it goes...

Barry

Post 2137 - the photo has been passed to Interpol....

I have missed this fascinating thread, principally because I have never dipped into blogs and tend to live in 'Kitbuilding and Scratchbuilding'. It is great to see progress on Little Bytham. Generally, layout owners seem to be very humble about their creations, but like many things, the pleasure is in sharing the enjoyment. Running/operating sessions, or playing trains if you like, have brought me some great times and allowed me to meet and enjoy the company of like minded folk and make new friends, in what can be a quite solitary hobby at times.

Looking forward to seeing more!

Best Regards

Tony Geary

Thanks Tony,

Perhaps it should be pointed out that several of your excellent carriages are now 'earning their keep' on Little Bytham, not to mention one or two of your splendidly-natural locomotives (though most of the latter have been 'tweaked' mechanically to eliminate the trademark Mr. Geary 'squeak' and to ensure they'll go anti-clockwise as well).

Many of your ex-Stoke, ex-Charwelton products are cherished possessions of mine now and really look 'in place' on my trainset.

As has been clarified already, Little Bytham is very much a collaborative project, and so much more enjoyable because of it, particularly with regard to 'horse-trading'. I 'nail together' the odd locomotive and mates 'nail together' baseboards, make buildings, make signals work and weather to perfection. And, no dosh changes hands now (though obviously, in the past, out of necessity, it has). 

By the way, and with my usual pedant hat on, why Dibateg as a name? 61033 was named DIBATAG, or am I missing something? 

All the best,

Tony.

The 'Paddlebox' is a smashing model and I trust it runs as well as it looks. Re the coaching stock, it is likely the old 4-wheel vans remained in Maunsell green up to the end of the Southern's existence. Bulleid green barely had time to get established before war intervened and passenger carrying coaches would have taken priority for repainting after the war. Of course, I am ignoring Rule 1 here..... :biggrin_mini2:

Edited by coachmann

• RMweb Gold

HI Larry, in the case of the four wheelers in the picture with the T14 above they were in fact the generator vans that were specially modified and paired with the cinema coach and the inspection saloon. It is well documented that they were outshopped in malachite green to match their respective coaches.

• Like 2

Picture of the year!  Everything fits as a complete whole-terrific modelling!  Well done!

Picture of the year!  Everything fits as a complete whole-terrific modelling!  Well done!

Did the "paddlebox" start life as a Nu-Cast kit ?, as I made the patterns for that one.....

Tony, pedant hat point:- I was forever getting detention at junior school for bad spelling... Some years ago I was setting up an account on some website or other and it demanded a username, so I came up with dibateg at short notice... and it has been my ID online ever since. At least it is virtually unique.......!!!!

I did consider building a model of Bulwell Common on the GC post Charwelton, but circumstances and opportunities change and I took the enjoyment of making things into 7mm scale. Rather than have my 4mm stock languishing in boxes ( although the stuff I sold Deltic Dave will do for a while yet I think ), I wanted to see it go to good homes and get used and enjoyed. So it is very fulfilling to see my stock in your photos - even some of my 7mm stuff squeaks, ah well, a Geary trademark.

Most of the impressive layouts I've seen generally seem to be a collaboration of efforts, there are one or two lucky people out there that seem to be able to do everything, I'm definitely not one of those!

Best Regards

Tony

.. Some years ago I was setting up an account on some website or other and it demanded a username, so I came up with dibateg at short notice... and it has been my ID online ever since. At least it is virtually unique.......!!!!

And I've been calling you ditabeg all this time. Darned dyslexia...

• Like 1

Tony, pedant hat point:- I was forever getting detention at junior school for bad spelling... Some years ago I was setting up an account on some website or other and it demanded a username, so I came up with dibateg at short notice... and it has been my ID online ever since. At least it is virtually unique.......!!!!

I did consider building a model of Bulwell Common on the GC post Charwelton, but circumstances and opportunities change and I took the enjoyment of making things into 7mm scale. Rather than have my 4mm stock languishing in boxes ( although the stuff I sold Deltic Dave will do for a while yet I think ), I wanted to see it go to good homes and get used and enjoyed. So it is very fulfilling to see my stock in your photos - even some of my 7mm stuff squeaks, ah well, a Geary trademark.

Most of the impressive layouts I've seen generally seem to be a collaboration of efforts, there are one or two lucky people out there that seem to be able to do everything, I'm definitely not one of those!

Best Regards

Tony

Thanks Tony,

If anyone hasn't seen your 7mm work, then might I suggest they seek out the appropriate threads? At the risk of sounding a 'brown-nosing' chum, it really is outstanding.

Speaking of collaboration of efforts, I couldn't agree more, and I'm reminded how we (at Wolverhampton MRC) all learned from each other. When you joined, I was astonished to see all your kit-built locos sporting lamp brackets and brakes. Mine were nude in comparison, all those years ago. I wasn't having this 'upstart', with 'skoolboy' writing, 'upstaging' my locos (do you recall your first introduction to me, on Class 20 Society note-paper, where I 'marked' it with something like 'try-harder?'). I couldn't resist a smirk of smugness when yours didn't run quite so well, but you sparked me into action and I hope I (and the others) did the same for you. And, do you recall the time you built that truly-dreadful kit of a Cravens DMU (MTK, I think)? The door 'outlines' were wider than those of a Lada, and you took it away muttering when there was a chorus of 'that won't do!'. But, to your credit, the final product was fantastic, particularly given its parentage.

My first attempt at ballasting Stoke turned out green, then pink! 'Dig it all out, and start again!' was the collective edict, and so I did.

I think the collaborative efforts combined to produce a 'self-disciplined' approach, where all of us knew the standard expected and what was acceptable, or, more importantly, what was not. Because we made virtually everything ourselves, from the baseboards, track, signals, stock, power packs, architecture, etc, etc, we weren't beholden to what was available 'over-the-counter' so to speak, and certainly not to the constraints of 'chequebook' modelling.

I count it a privilege to have worked with all those friends (and I still do), where everyone was a practical contributor. And, didn't we have fun?! 

I'll take some more pictures of your locos and stock in operation on Little Bytham.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Others will be more knowledgeable that me , but wasn't there a regular cement train working from the Southern Region to Scotland in the early 60s that was routinely hauled by 33s as far as York?

Yes - although I'm not quite sure when it started but 'net info the cement flow from Cliffe cement works to Uddingston started in 1961; the cement works reportedly closed in 1969.

• RMweb Premium

So, new Heljan 33s on Little B next? That would look quite good IMO but I know it's a bit late for Tony's era.

By the way, there have now been two 'invasions'  by SR items on other region's rails in one week. Great.

On a serious note for a change, I would have really liked to have been around during the 'exchanges' and also when things went 'a bit wrong' and loco's were loaned to another region. For example, V2s on the LSWR in the 50s and the big LMS Pacifics on the WR early 50s. I don't think the ER or MR ever needed to 'borrow' loco's but I might be wrong?

P

So, new Heljan 33s on Little B next? That would look quite good IMO but I know it's a bit late for Tony's era.

By the way, there have now been two 'invasions'  by SR items on other region's rails in one week. Great.

On a serious note for a change, I would have really liked to have been around during the 'exchanges' and also when things went 'a bit wrong' and loco's were loaned to another region. For example, V2s on the LSWR in the 50s and the big LMS Pacifics on the WR early 50s. I don't think the ER or MR ever needed to 'borrow' loco's but I might be wrong?

P

My Grandad woked on the NER told me that he was "lent" to the MR at some time due to a local flu epidemic just after WW1  .....

My Grandad woked on the NER told me that he was "lent" to the MR at some time due to a local flu epidemic just after WW1  .....

Could that be the Spanish Flu epidemic that struck after WW1?

Others will be more knowledgeable that me , but wasn't there a regular cement train working from the Southern Region to Scotland in the early 60s that was routinely hauled by 33s as far as York?

Alternative early 60s power; definitely got a V2 on occasion. Once the Brush 4s were available in quantity they became the usual thing.