Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

.....Posting your images far and wide smacks of forcing your work down our throats....

You may be aware that you can actually adjust your Forum settings so that his stuff doesn't show up. It works wonders, and everything looks so much less adulterated.

....our local council and our local water company are still trying to cling to the LIE that these are "wholly exceptional, once in thirty years days" rainfall events......

There, that's more accurate....

Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Simon,

The effect is very convincing, though is that 'real' smoke in the distance, or cotton wool? I mention cotton wool because the late Ken Northwood used cotton wool on a wire armature coming out of the chimneys on the locos on his South Devon Railway. The trick was to multi-expose on a single piece of film, slightly moving the armature each time. It was quite effective, and one shot with this technique in use appeared on the front cover of an issue of the MRC. 

The best smoke effect I ever achieved photographically was on Kensall Green, where the Knights used a small, theatrical smoke-generating unit puffing smoke through outlets in the floor of the shed building. I hung a tie-dye sky fabric behind. The images are on a disc somewhere in my collection, so I'll try and dig them out. The smoke unit was used at exhibitions. 

A similar unit was used underneath parts of Maindee East at shows. So effective was it at one Wells show that it set off the fire alarm and I was unable to get pictures of it in operation.

When I did pictures for MORILL, the first Editor, Andy Farquarson, used to puff fag smoke as I took pictures. Some worked, some didn't, mostly the latter. 

The problem is real smoke (like real water) doesn't scale, hence the very unrealistic results when model steam locos have smoke-generating units. These, like digitally-applied smoke, I have no time for. Best, in my opinion, have pictures showing realistic models which are well-made and look convincing, and forget about any arty-f*rty manipulation, no matter how clever it might seem.  

I also agree that such heavily-manipulated images should be on their own threads. For those who like that kind of thing (and I don't), it'll be easier for them to find and enjoy. That said, I think it's a bit of a shame that Landscapes has removed the 'doctored' image of his HUMORIST. I think some interesting points were made, though if loads of much-altered images were to appear on this thread (which isn't 'mine', by the way), I don't think I'd bother posting much more. 

When Dave Walker was operating his 0 gauge Laxford Bridge at exhibitions, to amuse the spectators (especially youngsters) he would often blow a cloud of cigar smoke through the overbridge leading from the fiddle yard as a loco was passing.

I've just returned from a most interesting meeting at Bachmann's offices regarding the forthcoming Thompson carriages. The types listed in the latest catalogue (far superior 'duplicates' of what's gone beforehand) will be produced first. That said (and as I've intimated before), if sales of these are encouraging there is a very real possibility of catering vehicles being added to the list, most probably a Restaurant First and an Open Third/later Second. If two different interiors are made, the open car can also be offered branded 'Restaurant Car'. The provision of heavy-duty bogies was mentioned and this was taken into consideration, especially if, in future, they could be supplied as spares - how useful! 

Hi Tony, Any chance of Bachmann releasing them in teak for those of use modelling up to 1953-4 when many Thompsons and indeed Gresleys were still in teak livery?

post-6680-0-02490900-1407927242_thumb.jpg

7mm model : Photo and paintwork by Dave Studely..

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 8

It never occurred to me that my digital image compositions were the opposite of modelling and in some way damaging to enjoyment of modelling.

Rob,

Members can read what I actually said above; please don't put words into my mouth.

Where has the phrase "...the opposite of modelling and in some way damaging to enjoyment of modelling..." come from?

Sorry Tony; your thread does not deserve this vitriol and sarcasm!

Regards,

John.

Anyway,

Enough of image manipulation and what have you, and down to real models.

I've just returned from a most interesting meeting at Bachmann's offices regarding the forthcoming Thompson carriages. The types listed in the latest catalogue (far superior 'duplicates' of what's gone beforehand) will be produced first. That said (and as I've intimated before), if sales of these are encouraging there is a very real possibility of catering vehicles being added to the list, most probably a Restaurant First and an Open Third/later Second. If two different interiors are made, the open car can also be offered branded 'Restaurant Car'. The provision of heavy-duty bogies was mentioned and this was taken into consideration, especially if, in future, they could be supplied as spares - how useful! 

Though, as I've also mentioned before, I am not a Bachmann representative (merely a very modest 'consultant'), it's incredibly encouraging to see a major firm listening to opinions and feedback (some from this thread). I'm sure many commentators don't have the faintest idea how much it costs to tool up for variations in models (not to mention the initial tooling costs!) but the potential production of these catering vehicles, as I've said before, is down to how the first types sell. Gentlemen (and ladies), buy these, what are sure to be outstanding initial models, then you'll also get what you want in the future as well. 

As for an A2/3, those delightful chaps listened and looked at SUN STREAM. A long way off in the future? Maybe one day but I'll probably be very, very old by then. I don't think you have much in the way of competition Mr King!

New Thompson coaches - I've 7 on order - don't tell the wife.

• Like 1

Rob,

Members can read what I actually said above; please don't put words into my mouth.

Where has the phrase "...the opposite of modelling and in some way damaging to enjoyment of modelling..." come from?

Sorry Tony; your thread does not deserve this vitriol and sarcasm!

Regards,

John.

The e-mail that you published for us all to see said:

Basically, I don't accept that digitally altering images of an as-bought model has anything to do with railway modelling; whether the model itself is digitally manipulated, or the surroundings of the model are so treated.

That reads like you think it's the opposite of modelling and diminshes your enjoyment of (reading about) modelling. You've made your views known stridently - he's bowed out publically. Why continue trampling?

Hi Tony, Any chance of Bachmann releasing them in teak for those of use modelling up to 1953-4 when many Thompsons and indeed Gresleys were still in teak livery?

attachicon.gifWEB Thompson Studeley 1.jpg

Bachmann list the announced LNER versions as Teak. Cracking coach and a good reference/guide for painting too.

https://railsofsheffield.com/search/search-results.aspx?searchTerm=Bachmann+thompson

Does anyone know if the Thompson Full brake was "Teaked" or plain Brown in LNER days please ?

Edited by micklner

My test of a worthwhile posting to a thread, regardless of its subject, is "Do I know know something that I didn't know before I read this?", or, "Will I now be more able to accurately model this subject as a consequence of reading this thread?"

And your posting failed your own test, replies to off list messages should be kept off list.

Keith

• Like 1

attachicon.gifWEB Thompson Studeley 1.jpg

Larry,

From what I can gather, the new Bachmann Thompsons will be offered initially in ersatz teak as well as carmine and cream, then maroon I assume. The new catalogue shows the old range in carmine and cream. I was told that pre-orders for the teaks were quite encouraging.

When the old range was first introduced, the complex printing procedures for producing a 'teak' effect were unknown, so they came out in LNER brown (which was quite wrong). When the new ones appear they should rival the effects achieved by top painters like yourself. Please take that as a compliment, in the same way I take as a compliment the performance of Heljan's forthcoming O2 when it's the equal of the four I've built; into which was put much 'blood, sweat, tears and profane language!'

• Like 2

Teak is something I like to think I mastered late in life. Now I cannot face doing grained teak and so the news that the Thompsons will be in ersatz teak is great indeed. I have been looking through my friend Jim Davenport's collection of photos taken on East Coast lines and the sheer number of teak coaches still in frontline service in 1953 (and later) is quite amazing. I have permission to use them from Brian Green and may upload one or two at some time.

• Like 5

Teak is something I like to think I mastered late in life. Now I cannot face doing grained teak and so the news that the Thompsons will be in ersatz teak is great indeed. I have been looking through my friend Jim Davenport's collection of photos taken on East Coast lines and the sheer number of teak coaches still in frontline service in 1953 (and later) is quite amazing. I have permission to use them from Brian Green and may upload one or two at some time.

Now those would be nice to see Larry.  Please do.

cheers...Morgan

....I cannot face doing grained teak and so the news that the Thompsons will be in ersatz teak is great .....and the sheer number of teak coaches still in frontline service in 1953 (and later) is quite amazing. ...

A sort of "teak box culture"? :mail:

post-18225-0-66415700-1408048037_thumb.jpg

Perhaps enough has been said about image manipulation, so back to some modelling. 

Here's the PDK B16/1 I'm building, under test at an early stage. Sweet, smooth and just about run-in after a few laps as just a chassis (in front of its pleased eventual owner) and now, with connecting rods on and the minimum amount of weight, able to haul a modest load to complete her trials. Everything from now on is just body construction, apart from finishing off the cylinders.

Being a usual hypocrite, so going back to image manipulation, whenever I take under-construction pictures like this I'm appalled at my soldering prowess. Granted, a powerful amount of light will reflect off the shiny silver surfaces but I really need to complete a lot of cleaning up. How much easier would it be to do it digitally? Just areas isolated with the lasso tool, then a touch of clone brush or flood-fill and you'd be away - almost seamless soldering, or so it might seem.

Finally on photography, I must compliment Andy York on some terrific shots on John Ryan's Over Peover. I've photographed it in the past but got nothing as good as his results, not even close. They're too good in some cases because they reveal anomalies (pedant mode coming up!), BITTERN never towed a corridor tender until more recent preservation, and Gresley stock in carmine and cream was lined some inches BELOW the waistband, not up to it. The ends of such vehicles were painted black, not red, as well. 

However, enjoy the pictures for what they are - a superb record of a staggering layout. 

Edited to replace a comma with a full-point. More hypocrisy!

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 13

Ditto on good to see we are back to modelling.  Would be nice to see either Thompson or Gresleys in teak 9as opposed to LNER.  Was also wondering what happened to the promised DVD on the "new" Over Peover.  The old one was pretty good but a new one showing the expansion would be terrific.

Ditto on good to see we are back to modelling.  Would be nice to see either Thompson or Gresleys in teak 9as opposed to LNER.  Was also wondering what happened to the promised DVD on the "new" Over Peover.  The old one was pretty good but a new one showing the expansion would be terrific.

I'm not sure I follow what you'd like to see. Thompsons and Gresleys in teak, either simulated or real, were in LNER condition, not opposed to it. A few Thompsons still in ersatz teak did receive BR brandings, but their condition was still 'teak'. Many Gresley coaches during the War were painted plain brown, it being cheaper, I suppose, than lining and varnishing the teak. They stayed in that condition into the early-'50s, confusing some commentators with regard to B&W shots. One writer, in a model railway magazine, commenting on a 1951/'52 picture of a Kings Cross-Leeds express near Welwyn said that the leading Gresley vehicle was in BR maroon. In 1951! It was plain brown. 

• Like 2

I'm not sure I follow what you'd like to see. Thompsons and Gresleys in teak, either simulated or real, were in LNER condition, not opposed to it. A few Thompsons still in ersatz teak did receive BR brandings, but their condition was still 'teak'. Many Gresley coaches during the War were painted plain brown, it being cheaper, I suppose, than lining and varnishing the teak. They stayed in that condition into the early-'50s, confusing some commentators with regard to B&W shots. One writer, in a model railway magazine, commenting on a 1951/'52 picture of a Kings Cross-Leeds express near Welwyn said that the leading Gresley vehicle was in BR maroon. In 1951! It was plain brown. 

A friend (a BR employee) told me they got some stored stock to use in

an excursion, it was still teak in 1964 !!!

THere's at least one photograph of a Gresley coach freshly outshopped in fully lined teak in (I think) 1952. I can't remember off the top of my head what lettering has been used.

I think it may well be another case of works variations; there were a large number of coach photographs taken in the years immediately after the war on Ebay some time ago. What was noticeable was that the ex-GE coaches were uniformly painted (one assumes brown) while the ex-GN ones, some of which were very elderly, were visibly still in a teak finish.

A friend (a BR employee) told me they got some stored stock to use in

an excursion, it was still teak in 1964 !!!

Eric Treacy photographed a Gresley coach in teak in 1957....There couldn't have been many by this time, in fact it is possible the publisher got the date wrong anyway. I saw a good few 'brown' coaches on the Woodhead line at Newton, Hyde, prior to electrification in 1954.

Contrary to rumours, I think an occasion added smoke picture makes a neat change.....

post-6680-0-20164100-1408093887.jpg

• Like 5