Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Wright writes.....

I for one would like to see piccies of the LNWR 0-8-4T Tony. I bet it looks neat waddling down the mainline on test....! ('Waddling' is not a slight on your chassis construction but the appearance of LNW eight-coupled engines at anything above walking speed).

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 3

I for one would like to see piccies of the LNWR 0-8-4T Tony. I bet it looks neat waddling down the mainline on test....! ('Waddling' is not a slight on your chassis construction but the appearance of LNW eight-coupled engines at anything above walking speed).

Larry,

I'll post pictures as construction begins. It's to be made from a Brassmasters' kit.

I promised to include some more pictures of Tony Geary's 4mm work, so here they are........

attachicon.gif11 Cravens by box.jpg

This is the 'infamous' MTK Cravens DMU running south on Stoke Summit (note the correct, steam-age tail lamp). Considering its origin, this is an excellent model, though, no doubt, 'eclipsed' by Bachmann's RTR product. However, this one was 'made' by an individual, and made very well. 

attachicon.gifDsc_8501.jpg

This is Tony's DJH A1, racing southwards through Little Bytham on the Up 'Yorkshire Pullman' (I forgot to fit the headboard!). Here there is no possibility of any RTR A1 beating this. For one, it'll pull a house brick and it's so much crisper, with so much more detail. The footplate and tender sole-plate line up, the Cartazzi truck keeps aren't anorexic, the return cranks lean the right way both sides and the whole painting, lining and weathering (which Tony did) is so much more natural than Bachmann's 'waspish' finish. I don't care how many Bachmann A1s one might have, and no matter how much they've been altered, none of them is in the same league as this - not even near. Its construction was featured in BRM in the early years.

I wish I'd altered the absurd lamps (one too high up, one too big!) but I'd almost finished the image-processing before I noticed.

The train is a mixture of modified Hornby cars, and I'm not happy with it. The second and fourth cars have Comet sides on Hornby donors and are painted by Ian Rathbone. Though all the cars have proper bogies and are lowered, the way-too-thick sides on some of the other (original Hornby) cars really stand out far too much (including the absurdly-thick representation of the internal rails). The dual effect just doesn't work in my opinion, so all the train will eventually have all-brass sides as time and finances allow. 

attachicon.gif07 60114 on fitted freight cropped.jpg

When we ran Stoke Summit at shows, I was often faced with a dilemma with regard to 60114. I built this example for a friend, and he would often turn up and request we run it. If so, Tony's was taken off (which really wasn't right). But, he didn't seem to mind and Mr. Rigby was pleased. 

attachicon.gifDsc_8507.jpg

Here's one of Tony's superb rakes heading southwards through Little Bytham. This is a mix of Comet/Southern Pride/RTR adaptations, all made and painted by him. Trains such as this are usually difficult to find in BR's official train consists for the period, yet appear in bucket-loads in Keith Pirt's or Derek Penney's pictures. It could well be that they are summer Saturday workings, but they still look entirely at home. If anything, I prefer to make my trains up from photographic evidence rather than rely entirely on 'official documents', which represent an 'ideal', not always realised. 

The loco is the usual Wright-Rathbone combination, but this one can be bettered by an RTR adaptation from Graeme King, at least with regard to the true shape of the W1. However, the painting can't be bettered, nor its haulage capacity (as has been proved on LB). 

The Heljan Baby Deltic is still represented as having 'broken down'. 

attachicon.gifDsc_8511.jpg

The W1-hauled express sweeps through the still-under-construction station as an A5 prepares to stop on a Peterborough-Grantham all-stations train. The A5 is also Tony's work, as is most of its train (see later). 

attachicon.gifDsc_8509.jpg

attachicon.gifDsc_8502.jpg

Shortly afterwards, a fully-fitted freight heads northwards behind a DJH B16/1. Tony did all the work on this loco, including making a new boiler of the right diameter. Once more, I should have tended to the less-than-convincing lamps.

attachicon.gifDSC_8555.JPG

Here's the modified Bachmann K3 which appeared as an adjunct to my work in the last issue of BRM. Tony detailed and weathered it, but I'll be taking it a stage further. For one, the several wiggly pipes on the smokebox are missing and the sharp-eyed will note it's actually running in reverse gear! I'll probably make an entire replacement chassis.

The train is also Tony's work and includes an example of the Gresley 1935 steel-sided artic twins for outer-suburban work. These were made from Southern Pride sides melded to Comet products. BSL/Phoenix did (do?) such carriages in stamped-aluminium or brass, but these were rejected as being a bit 'crude' when the question of which carriages were needed for Stoke Summit was asked. Unless they've been altered, the sides appeared distorted because of the stamping process, there were no door 'outlines, no slots for the hinges, the ventilators were too big and they rode on heavy-duty bogies. We as a gang did the research, Dave Lewis produced the sides and Tony built, painted and weathered them. 

The CK was built by Tony from a Comet kit.

attachicon.gifDSC_8559.JPG

Here's the A5 again, built from a Craftsman kit (with the bunker altered to make it correct), painted and weathered by Mr. Geary. All I've done is replace the original bogie/pony wheels with the correct, ten-spoke sort (he'd fitted 12-spoke ones). I must also lower the top lamp bracket from the top of the smokebox to the top of the smokebox door. 

The Gresley non-gangway set was built and finished by Tony, using Comet kits. These, too, featured in BRM's early days. Official documents seem to suggest that all passenger sets running along the main line 'twixt Peterborough and Grantham should be gangway, yet several pictures of the period show non-gangway rakes (at least in part) forming the stoppers, including one hauled by an A5. Once more, I cite photographic evidence as a prime source for my modelling. Today, with Hornby's splendid examples of such vehicles available, the need to kit-build such stock has diminished. However, the brass sides are still more convincing, producing no halo around the windows, and, more-importantly, these have been made, not just bought. 

All of the above locos/stock built so well by Tony Geary are now my property. This is unashamed chequebook modelling, because I can trade nothing 'horse-wise' with him in 7mm. My hypocrisy allows this because (though I could/can) build all the items illustrated, by the time I factored-in my time and the cost of the materials, it just didn't make sense not to buy such splendid models. That said, on a personal level, it's still essential that I have a considerable practical input on my model. As I've said many times, the making of things is essential to me. 

As I've also said many times before, folk should be credited with what they've done. I intensely dislike 'basking in reflected light'.

Hi Tony

Fantastic rolling stock, fantastic photos and fantastic layouts, no need to say any more.

Regards

David

I promised to include some more pictures of Tony Geary's 4mm work, so here they are........

11 Cravens by box.jpg

This is the 'infamous' MTK Cravens DMU running south on Stoke Summit (note the correct, steam-age tail lamp). Considering its origin, this is an excellent model, though, no doubt, 'eclipsed' by Bachmann's RTR product. However, this one was 'made' by an individual, and made very well.

Dsc_8501.jpg

This is Tony's DJH A1, racing southwards through Little Bytham on the Up 'Yorkshire Pullman' (I forgot to fit the headboard!). Here there is no possibility of any RTR A1 beating this. For one, it'll pull a house brick and it's so much crisper, with so much more detail. The footplate and tender sole-plate line up, the Cartazzi truck keeps aren't anorexic, the return cranks lean the right way both sides and the whole painting, lining and weathering (which Tony did) is so much more natural than Bachmann's 'waspish' finish. I don't care how many Bachmann A1s one might have, and no matter how much they've been altered, none of them is in the same league as this - not even near. Its construction was featured in BRM in the early years.

I wish I'd altered the absurd lamps (one too high up, one too big!) but I'd almost finished the image-processing before I noticed.

The train is a mixture of modified Hornby cars, and I'm not happy with it. The second and fourth cars have Comet sides on Hornby donors and are painted by Ian Rathbone. Though all the cars have proper bogies and are lowered, the way-too-thick sides on some of the other (original Hornby) cars really stand out far too much (including the absurdly-thick representation of the internal rails). The dual effect just doesn't work in my opinion, so all the train will eventually have all-brass sides as time and finances allow.

07 60114 on fitted freight cropped.jpg

When we ran Stoke Summit at shows, I was often faced with a dilemma with regard to 60114. I built this example for a friend, and he would often turn up and request we run it. If so, Tony's was taken off (which really wasn't right). But, he didn't seem to mind and Mr. Rigby was pleased.

Dsc_8507.jpg

Here's one of Tony's superb rakes heading southwards through Little Bytham. This is a mix of Comet/Southern Pride/RTR adaptations, all made and painted by him. Trains such as this are usually difficult to find in BR's official train consists for the period, yet appear in bucket-loads in Keith Pirt's or Derek Penney's pictures. It could well be that they are summer Saturday workings, but they still look entirely at home. If anything, I prefer to make my trains up from photographic evidence rather than rely entirely on 'official documents', which represent an 'ideal', not always realised.

The loco is the usual Wright-Rathbone combination, but this one can be bettered by an RTR adaptation from Graeme King, at least with regard to the true shape of the W1. However, the painting can't be bettered, nor its haulage capacity (as has been proved on LB).

The Heljan Baby Deltic is still represented as having 'broken down'.

Dsc_8511.jpg

The W1-hauled express sweeps through the still-under-construction station as an A5 prepares to stop on a Peterborough-Grantham all-stations train. The A5 is also Tony's work, as is most of its train (see later).

Dsc_8509.jpg

Dsc_8502.jpg

Shortly afterwards, a fully-fitted freight heads northwards behind a DJH B16/1. Tony did all the work on this loco, including making a new boiler of the right diameter. Once more, I should have tended to the less-than-convincing lamps.

DSC_8555.JPG

Here's the modified Bachmann K3 which appeared as an adjunct to my work in the last issue of BRM. Tony detailed and weathered it, but I'll be taking it a stage further. For one, the several wiggly pipes on the smokebox are missing and the sharp-eyed will note it's actually running in reverse gear! I'll probably make an entire replacement chassis.

The train is also Tony's work and includes an example of the Gresley 1935 steel-sided artic twins for outer-suburban work. These were made from Southern Pride sides melded to Comet products. BSL/Phoenix did (do?) such carriages in stamped-aluminium or brass, but these were rejected as being a bit 'crude' when the question of which carriages were needed for Stoke Summit was asked. Unless they've been altered, the sides appeared distorted because of the stamping process, there were no door 'outlines, no slots for the hinges, the ventilators were too big and they rode on heavy-duty bogies. We as a gang did the research, Dave Lewis produced the sides and Tony built, painted and weathered them.

The CK was built by Tony from a Comet kit.

DSC_8559.JPG

Here's the A5 again, built from a Craftsman kit (with the bunker altered to make it correct), painted and weathered by Mr. Geary. All I've done is replace the original bogie/pony wheels with the correct, ten-spoke sort (he'd fitted 12-spoke ones). I must also lower the top lamp bracket from the top of the smokebox to the top of the smokebox door.

The Gresley non-gangway set was built and finished by Tony, using Comet kits. These, too, featured in BRM's early days. Official documents seem to suggest that all passenger sets running along the main line 'twixt Peterborough and Grantham should be gangway, yet several pictures of the period show non-gangway rakes (at least in part) forming the stoppers, including one hauled by an A5. Once more, I cite photographic evidence as a prime source for my modelling. Today, with Hornby's splendid examples of such vehicles available, the need to kit-build such stock has diminished. However, the brass sides are still more convincing, producing no halo around the windows, and, more-importantly, these have been made, not just bought.

All of the above locos/stock built so well by Tony Geary are now my property. This is unashamed chequebook modelling, because I can trade nothing 'horse-wise' with him in 7mm. My hypocrisy allows this because (though I could/can) build all the items illustrated, by the time I factored-in my time and the cost of the materials, it just didn't make sense not to buy such splendid models. That said, on a personal level, it's still essential that I have a considerable practical input on my model. As I've said many times, the making of things is essential to me.

As I've also said many times before, folk should be credited with what they've done. I intensely dislike 'basking in reflected light'.

Evening Tony

Great photo's of Bytham. Ian's footbridge may 'only' be a mock-up, but I think it looks really good

Regards

Lee

Another splendid afternoon/evening has just been concluded in the company of two 'new' friends, John Edge and Andy Peters (they both have RMweb names I think). 

We ran Little Bytham faultlessly (many thanks for your forbearance, gentlemen, as I struggled to remember which switches to throw and sections to set), and it was all most enjoyable.

As usual, the most interesting time for me was when the visiting stock was taken out and given a run.

post-18225-0-41309400-1409000817_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-97050600-1409000826_thumb.jpg

Andy brought along two beautifully-weathered Hornby/Bachmann locos. They both looked so natural and, more importantly, it was all his own work. He really has the knack of capturing that in-service look. Both were DCC-fitted and though the B17 ran well, the K3 wouldn't budge. Something to do with the chip's programming or something. 

post-18225-0-63069100-1409000835_thumb.jpg

John brought this DJH American war--service 2-8-0; something definitely never seen through Little Bytham before?

post-18225-0-75292900-1409000844_thumb.jpg

He also brought this very pretty Hornby 'Schools' and twelve-wheeled Pullman cars. Another LB first. I was also shown the Fleischman (is that the right spelling?) close-coupling system. Though not cheap, it's far better than any other close-coupling device I've seen in terms of performance.

Thank you, gentlemen, for some stimulating conversation, several hours playing trains and a splendid pub dinner afterwards. This wonderful hobby is all about friendship, and I have two more now. 

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 19

Another splendid afternoon/evening has just been concluded in the company of two 'new' friends, John Edge and Andy Peters (they both have RMweb names I think). 

We ran Little Bytham faultlessly (many thanks for your forbearance, gentlemen, as I struggled to remember which switches to throw and sections to set), and it was all most enjoyable.

As usual, the most interesting time for me was when the visiting stock was taken out and given a run.

attachicon.gifDSC_8561.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_8562.JPG

Andy brought along two beautifully-weathered Hornby/Bachmann locos. They both looked so natural and, more importantly, it was all his own work. He really has the knack of capturing that in-service look. Both were DCC-fitted and though the B17 ran well, the K3 wouldn't budge. Something to do with the chip's programming or something. 

attachicon.gifDSC_8565.JPG

John brought this DJH American war--service 2-8-0; something definitely never seen through Little Bytham before?

attachicon.gifDSC_8567.JPG

He also brought this very pretty Hornby 'Schools' and twelve-wheeled Pullman cars. Another LB first. I was also shown the Fleischman (is that the right spelling?) close-coupling system. Though not cheap, it's far better than any other close-coupling device I've seen in terms of performance.

Thank you, gentlemen, for some stimulating conversation, several hours playing trains and a splendid pub dinner afterwards. This wonderful hobby is all about friendship, and I have two more now.

Good Evening Tony

I do really like the B17 class models, I wish I could find proof one ever got to Haymarket MPD then I would have reason to buy one but I doubt that any member of the class ever got up to the Edinburgh area.

If I did I would have to rename it Tottenham Hotspur.

Regards

David

• Like 1

Is the S160  oo or HO ?

Good Evening Tony

I do really like the B17 class models, I wish I could find proof one ever got to Haymarket MPD then I would have reason to buy one but I doubt that any member of the class ever got up to the Edinburgh area.

If I did I would have to rename it Tottenham Hotspur.

Regards

David

David,

The first batch of the class (2800-2809) was built in Glasgow, and initially run-in from Eastfield shed. Frequent workings were on stopping trains between Queen Street and Waverley. This, of course, was in their early LNER days. After being allocated to their ex-GE sheds, it would be highly unlikely that they re-appeared in Scotland, though those members of the whole class subsequently shopped at Darlington might have got to Newcastle - then, as a substitute for a failure, perhaps? 

In BR days, is there any evidence of B17s getting to Edinburgh, other than by the circumstances above?

Tony.

Many thanks for posting the photos Tony, it's great to see my trains running on your railway. I was going to say new home, but they've been there for quite a while now.

The 1935 twins - I wouldn't contemplate the aluminium ones, and designed the sides in AutoCAD, Dave Lewis then transferred the drawings to a photoetch. Between us all we managed to get the information together.

The MTK Cravens, I knew in my heart that it was not up to standard when I brought it round to your house, your 'direct' description of it sent me in the right direction! It looks a little dated now compared with current offerings, but an RTR Cravens set was just a dream in those days. Strangely - I was just relating that story recently, it still makes me chuckle.

Cheque book - I've admit to buying some 7mm stuff myself, I have reached a stage in my life where time is the most critical and limiting factor, if I can save time I will. I have a mantra - 'be realistic about what you can achieve'. I'm going to be hard pushed to get The Derby Line built in the next 5 years. The building is there - all I need is the time....

I've tried to add a link to my 7mm thread  on my Signature here, it might work,  I can't get the hang of this IT stuff. 30 years was enough, now I'm doing what I really enjoy.

Regards

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Further to visits by good friends, Mr & Mrs Queensquare were here on Tuesday, on their way up to (eventually) see Retford and Buckingham, thence on to the Blyth show. Some of the 2mm FS stuff they brought was exquisite but it wouldn't run on my track; something to do with scale/gauge differences. Still, they too had a good time, especially whipping the 'Lizzie' through at way beyond MALLARD's record!  

Thanks for the kind comments, Jerry and Kim.

Firstly, apologies for the slow response. we got back late last night after a tiring but very enjoyable week where we visited all of the above railways, had a couple of days in the beautiful Peak District and even managed to squeeze in a visit to the Gainsborough O gauge  railway as they prepared for an open weekend.

Many thanks to Tony and Mo for being such excellent hosts. Little Bytham, as others have noted, runs beautifully - like 'Just a minute', there is no hesitation or deviation although perhaps some occasional repetition as particular favourites were allowed to do more than one circuit! The couple of minor operator errors were my fault due to Tony very patiently trying field my barrage of questions and work the control panel at the same time.

I did a little driving although I spent a lot of time on the far side of the line with my eyes at track level as Kim and Tony paraded a succession of trains through - occasionally at rather more than Mallards record breaking speed but always rock steady - a testament to Tony's stock and Norman Solomon's track. The only thing missing was a bottle of warm Tizer and a couple of curly sandwiches! All in all great fun and a memorable day.

I have a few OO locos which rarely leave my display cabinet so next time we visit we may see a few S&D interlopers.

post-1074-0-57607000-1409043094.jpg

We only took a few snaps on the phone as mementoes of the day but I rather liked this one of Kim spotting a couple of cattle wagons at the dock whilst Tony looks on. 

Jerry 

• Like 7

Thank you Tony, and also to Mo for your hospitality on our visit yesterday, and what a cracking day it was from my point of view.

We were invited to PLAY trains, and take photos, we were also able to witness some wonderful hand built stock and a truly great layout.

I was amazed, although I shouldn't have been, at the smoothness of the running and also the quietness of an Express Train, passing at high speed, probably a scale 80 to 90 mph with 10 or 12 coaches behind.

The shunting back to the Goods Shed with standard Bachmann Wagons was also perfectly performed due in no small part to the back to back being adjusted for accuracy.

Thank you once again to Tony, Mo and to John Edge (Allegheny1600) for a most wonderful day out that has really helped my recuperation.

Here are a few pics from yesterday, (I need more lessons Tony), I will post some more later and in the Lunester Lounge.

post-9335-0-12170300-1409045513_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-11647600-1409045557_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-87540500-1409045610_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-03977400-1409045675_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-65049000-1409045708_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-89970900-1409045803_thumb.jpg

Thanks,

Andy.

• Like 15

Hi Tony, All,

Firstly many thanks indeed for such a wonderful day out (great hosts!)! For me, railway modelling is as much about the friends you make as the models themselves - it certainly helps to keep me going and to keep me sane!!!

Secondly a note about the S160, yes! Definitely H0 scale made by DJH (I think as a ready to roll model?). An example of chequebook modelling at the moment I'm afraid as I couldn't resist grabbing it when a friend was disposing of his H0 collection, at what turned out to be half price of the current kit! Anyway! I have plans to modify this slightly in order to represent a Greek loco for a future little layout based in that country!

Oh! My apologies for the running of those Pullmans - that'll teach me to check wheelsets!

Cheers,

John E.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Oops, a missing post fro me last night (or me having as much 'fun' with technology as Jerry).  

S160s on the LNER - the company had quite a lot of them on loan but none allocated to the GN section although they did pass through works at Doncaster and were run-in from there so might feasibly have been seen at Little Bytham.

Is the S160  oo or HO ?

HO.

As far as I know, there has never been a 4mm scale one, either RTR or kit. Shame, really.

Scratchbuilding one ain't easy: -

1. the Skinley drawing (the only one ever prepared for 4mm scale and now sadly unobtainable) is uncertain about where the boiler taper should be - top or bottom?; and

2. the GA drawings reproduced in Talbot's "BR Standard Locomotives, Vol.2" are distorted because they were not laid flat at the time they were prepared for publication.

3. Correct driving wheels for them have been unavailable ever since Sharman Wheels went down the toilet.

As far as I know, there has never been a 4mm scale one, either RTR or kit. Shame, really.

Scratchbuilding one ain't easy: -

1. the Skinley drawing (the only one ever prepared for 4mm scale and now sadly unobtainable) is uncertain about where the boiler taper should be - top or bottom?; and

2. the GA drawings reproduced in Talbot's "BR Standard Locomotives, Vol.2" are distorted because they were not laid flat at the time they were prepared for publication.

3. Correct driving wheels for them have been unavailable ever since Sharman Wheels went down the toilet.

Thank you chaps, I thought there wasn't a 4mm one .....

• RMweb Gold

Thank you chaps, I thought there wasn't a 4mm one .....

Many years ago someone (possibly Dennis Allenden?) in the old Model Railway News built one in 4mm using - if I remember rightly - various US manufactured components for at least part of it (was it a US kit for something else, can anyone remember?).  Whatever its origins it looked very much the part but it was the only 4mm scale one I can ever recall seeing.

Good afternoon Tony, maybe not a good day to post under the circumstances, but I do hope all went as well as could possibly be expected.

Here are some pics of my A1, A2, A3, and A4 that I had to sell to fund my new Potting Shed. They will be replaced at some point once funds allow even though they would not have run through Bitton, I just think they are such lovely models.

Firstly A1 Great Eastern, the front pipes are bent from the badly designed boxes and the wheels are off at the back, but hey ho, I tried.

post-9335-0-05756300-1409068764_thumb.jpg

Next is A2, Happy Knight,

post-9335-0-35808800-1409068915_thumb.jpg

Then Hornby's A3, Coronach,

post-9335-0-57345400-1409068950_thumb.jpg

And Lastly Hornby's A4 Merlin,

post-9335-0-53276200-1409069555_thumb.jpg

I wish I had these yesterday, hahah.

All the best,

Andy.

• Like 5

I have to say, this thread does once again emphasise the power of the RMWeb monster!

Excellent narrative on subjects from Tony, with more constructive input from others as well. Marvellous photography. The re-kindling of fond lineside memories by many of us. And of course the social aspect behind it all. The friendships between fellow modellers, and in some case the theraputic effects of it all. Once again, thanks to Andy Y for the beginning, and not forgetting everyone else since who contributes to this extraordinary forum.

Stewart

• Like 2