RMweb

Wright writes.....

On another subject, i am looking at doing a caprotti standard 5mt next and have the donor loco in plain black with the br1c tender. Now i have some of the fittings already, for the linkage on the r/h side infront of the rear driver i plan on using a modified Hornby a4 lubricator drive with Hornby or golden arrow caprotti motion. The parts i don't have are the cam boxes which sit atop the cylinders and also the steam pipes. I have tried every manufacturer i can think of and no joy so far. I know this should possibly be on another thread but i thought someone on here may have an idea.

Gary

Guest Brighton_JunctionLNER

If you enlarge the photo of Firduassi (I presume that is what you are typing about)  it has got a Banjo Dome , you can see the curved front of the Dome going into the tail of the shape. The Streamlined Dome goes back from the centre to the rear in one line.

that is not a banjo dome!!

post-27079-0-44023500-1456776664_thumb.jpg

On another subject, i am looking at doing a caprotti standard 5mt next and have the donor loco in plain black with the br1c tender. Now i have some of the fittings already, for the linkage on the r/h side infront of the rear driver i plan on using a modified Hornby a4 lubricator drive with Hornby or golden arrow caprotti motion. The parts i don't have are the cam boxes which sit atop the cylinders and also the steam pipes. I have tried every manufacturer i can think of and no joy so far. I know this should possibly be on another thread but i thought someone on here may have an idea.

Gary

I think Crownline did a conversion for the Brit to Duke.

I think Crownline did a conversion for the Brit to Duke.

Aii that is true they did, they also did a conversion kit to make a high running plate stanier 5mt which is basically similar but, as crownline har gone the way of the dodo theyre no longer available. I did think about pdk who do a lot of the former crownline kits but no joy.

Gary

I purchased a s/h Bachmann k3 on friday afternoon at model rail scotland and the conversion is now almost finished. Just needing number and a light weathering job. For the conversion all i did was change the boiler, others have gone further with changing the driving wheels etc but as the undersize Bachmann k3 wheels are not exactly the right size, they are near enough. Besides if i changed the wheels it means a lot more work on the chassis. I may do this at a later date but, for now the loco looks not too bad. Having said this ine thing i have not yet done is fit larger balance weights to the centre set or drivers. The boiler is a shortened Bachmann b1 boiler and Bachmann v1/v3 smokebox. I did most of the conversion on sunday afternoon at the show whilst on breaks. I am planning to do another conversion and when i do i will take snaps of the conversion process.

Thanks for that, Gary. And for posting the pics. Nice job. So the tender coupled to the real 61994 is originally from a K3 too? Interesting. At least part of a K3 made it to preservation!

Mark

Aii that is true they did, they also did a conversion kit to make a high running plate stanier 5mt which is basically similar but, as crownline har gone the way of the dodo theyre no longer available. I did think about pdk who do a lot of the former crownline kits but no joy.

Gary

You could try ebay, it is surprising what turns up, and Iain Rice has an exploded view of a scratch gear he built for the Duke in his construction books

Gary

There is a chap on here who has 3d printed some, and for tony he is at university so hope got the hobby still.

Thanks for that, Gary. And for posting the pics. Nice job. So the tender coupled to the real 61994 is originally from a K3 too? Interesting. At least part of a K3 made it to preservation!

Mark

Mark

Sadly that isnt the case, when the loco was preserved a tender from a j38 was substituted - i cannot remember which j38 it came off but i do know that it originally came off a k4 when the k4's got the ex k3 tenders. There is a yeadon book which gives the exact details.

Gary

It would appear that the box illustration shows a Railroad version with the simplified livery.

Ed

Box looks like a renumbered a Hornby  Book Law, definitely not a Railroad version. I haven't checked but Firduassi I believe as built should have the higher Cab Sides as well.

I was wondering how long lined frames, lined wheels, lined out firebox mudhole covers, finescale tender and finescale valve gear have been features of any Railroad model......

Edited by gr.king

• RMweb Premium

The GER, ScR and LMR units had Gresley 8ft 6 ins double bolster bogies fitted with roller bearings on the trailer coaches. The motor cars had a BR design power bogie that was based on the Gresely principal of outside frame with inside springs. The AM7 having been built at Eastleigh had some SR design of bogie that made the Gresely fitted stock seem like luxury. Later the 307s were fitted with BR5 bogies.

AM9s were fitted with Commonwealth bogies, the best riding of all Mk1 design stock especially when doing a ton. :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive:

These bogies were appalling under the AM4 (304) units when they first appeared on Liverpool-Crewe in the 1960s - especially in contrast to the LMS electric sets we were used to on Southport and Wirral lines.

Oh the 309's!  Possibly the best ever EMU's. Fast and comfortable and handsome when they were new with the big wrap around windows. I spent may hours on them up and down to L'Pool Street and always looked out for a set when returning home. I would love to model one but the complex front curves are very difficult though you can use a Mark one for the main body. It would suit a  resin type casting. Any takers (in 7mm)?

Martin Long

The Clacton units had Commonwealth bogies throughout, including the motor bogies, which had a longer wheelbase.

23869550599_0bf92fef41.jpgAM9_601-618-625_Stratford_0948-Clacton-LivSt_4-7-64 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

SR EMUs that had CW trailer bogies, such as the Phase II 4 Cep/Bep units and the later BR 2 Hap units, did not have CW motor bogies and the 2 Haps did not have them on the leading end of the driving trailer either, as this had a shoebeam.

CW bogies were standard on passenger-carrying Mark I stock built from approximately 1960 (may have been 1961 apart from the Pullmans which appeared in 1960). A few RUs were fitted with Gresley bogies in an effort to improve on the ride compared to their original BR bogies.

4487366725_d2e39f986a.jpgE1928_APR-73 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

AM6/306 had what have been described as 'Thompson' bogies, but were probably a MetCamm standard bogie. AM7/307 also had normally framed bogie which I suspect as the same as Eastleigh were fitting to contemporary SR stock.                                                                                                                                                                

Thank you to everybody who has posted with regard to my original comments re the 309's and bogies, the information is most useful. As a few might know I am trying - struggling - to build a 4-car unit in N/2mm. This is using the worsley works etches mated to Farish pullmans to get the commonwealth bogies (Bachmann won't sell individual bogies in N), but as I want to finish the unit in the original condition, maroon with the curved windows - as I originally rode on them - it's proving rather more difficult than I anticipated as the etches have the later flat window ends and need adapting. Just adding driving ends to standard mk1's doesn't really work, as none of the designs match, they were just based around mk1 design. I have often wondered if the Swindon built 123 DMU's were of similar design, as they also had curved driving end windows, but have never got around to checking the diagram books to see.

I attach a photo of the first end which shows how crude the results are to date, I can't seem to get the roof/corridor connection profiles right, and how far I still have to go. I'll get there eventually, as I did with my Class 15, but sometimes you do wonder.........

post-12706-0-51331900-1456825138.jpg

Now to don sackcloth and ashes for taking this thread of it's ECML/steam roots.......

apologies Tony,

Izzy

• Like 8

Mark

Sadly that isnt the case, when the loco was preserved a tender from a j38 was substituted - i cannot remember which j38 it came off but i do know that it originally came off a k4 when the k4's got the ex k3 tenders. There is a yeadon book which gives the exact details.

Gary

Ah, what a shame :(

Thanks for the info though, Gary.

Now to don sackcloth and ashes for taking this thread of it's ECML/steam roots.......

apologies Tony,

Izzy

Izzy

It would seem I must get a whole wardrobe of sackcloth.  Ash is part of my name so that at least is covered.  But I think Tony's main topic is actually as much about building locomotives, of any origin or scale, as it is the one particular region he actually models.

Paul

• RMweb Premium

Gary

This is a long shot, but have you tried DMR Kits?  Mike Russell sells a lot of "bits" as well as kits.  However, just to complicate matters Mike has now sold the kits range (not sure about the "bits") to Pheonix Precision Paints, which is worrying.....

HTH

Brian

Caprotti Standard 5:-

The parts i don't have are the cam boxes which sit atop the cylinders and also the steam pipes. I have tried every manufacturer i can think of and no joy so far. I know this should possibly be on another thread but i thought someone on here may have an idea.

Gary

Gary, I know Modelu has just printed some of those cam boxes in 7mm scale, it might be worth contacting Alan via his web site. He can easily reproduce them in 4mm I'm sure.

http://www.modelu3d.co.uk/

Regards

Tony

• RMweb Premium

A few things I have thought of.

Did Tony see the chap who had a Virgin thing block his view of Flying Scotsman?

Weathering and blue grey period.

I can remember that blue did not tend to highlight the dirt that well, and with washing plants, really dirty stock was quite rare.

What there was though was various states of shinyness. Most stock looks satiny with stock requiring repaints as more matt, there was a nice sheen to recent repaints. Occasionally dirt on the  bottom of the bodysides, but a run through a carriage wash and again it looks clean.

In 4mm you can get away with a slight sheen on carriages and very little body weathering, most on roof and ends. Underframes though, that is where weathering fun comes in, lots of brake dust a really matt dusty brown colour.

When I weather I tend to spray underframes in track dirt with no bodies. This reminds me I have a big pile of chassis to spray.

Locos are a different matter, grills, exhaust ports, Diesel runs, more weathering required, if you can bear to weather a nice paint job. I really need to do this.

.................the general standard of running was very good (especially on the lemons, and the Hornby-Dublo and Tri-ang systems)..................

A pause for thought, here.  While the idea of 'true scale' is good, aren't a few compromises worthwhile, in order to achieve reliable running?  After all, we know that linear dimensions, areas (such as flange contact areas), and volumes (which determine weight) do not scale in the same proportions, so a model cannot have the same dynamics as the real thing.
  • Like 1

You DCC guys must be happy with the way these things are configured at source, or do you get others to fix things up for you? I'd be surprised if you did.

As I no longer buy RTR (never say never) I have to do my own DCC wiring.  It is not at all difficult, even with a sound decoder, speaker and stay alive capacitor.  My latest two models now have the ability to change from DC to DCC relatively easily by installing an 8 pin socket between pickups and motor terminals.  When running DC a "blank" plug is fitted, when on DCC the decoder is plugged in.  OK, the body has to come off each time but I won't be doing the switch over very often.

As to tender pickups, I agree that having a tethered tender is a pain, particularly as the plug and socket can be a bit too fiddly for my fingers and joints.  The stay alive capacitor is a great way to avoid stalling on poor track.

My Midland 4F is almost at the stage where the decoder wiring will be installed.  When I get around to it (after Kettering) I will take some photos and post them.

• Like 1

Just one more comment on ripply surfaces on models compared with the real thing..........................................

post-18225-0-91386300-1456859916_thumb.jpg

It's not just the locomotive which has wiggles.

Two more pictures from the weekend. Lanarkshire Model Supplies is expanding its range of proper-sized lamps. In this case, LMS and BR tail lamps for 4mm. 

post-18225-0-79988000-1456859933_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-79988000-1456859933_thumb.jpg

As usual, I cocked-up the arrangement of pictures, but they're both there.

post-18225-0-22989100-1456859965_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 10

It was, however, very slow (realistic?) and I would have loved to have seen those 9Fs storming through.

At the location on the Tyne Dock to Consett line that the layout is based at, the gradient ensured that nothing stormed through :)

John

• RMweb Premium

Thank you to everybody who has posted with regard to my original comments re the 309's and bogies, the information is most useful. As a few might know I am trying - struggling - to build a 4-car unit in N/2mm. This is using the worsley works etches mated to Farish pullmans to get the commonwealth bogies (Bachmann won't sell individual bogies in N), but as I want to finish the unit in the original condition, maroon with the curved windows - as I originally rode on them - it's proving rather more difficult than I anticipated as the etches have the later flat window ends and need adapting. Just adding driving ends to standard mk1's doesn't really work, as none of the designs match, they were just based around mk1 design. I have often wondered if the Swindon built 123 DMU's were of similar design, as they also had curved driving end windows, but have never got around to checking the diagram books to see.

I attach a photo of the first end which shows how crude the results are to date, I can't seem to get the roof/corridor connection profiles right, and how far I still have to go. I'll get there eventually, as I did with my Class 15, but sometimes you do wonder.........

attachicon.gifwe size 2.jpg

apologies Tony,

Izzy

Hi Izzy

Cant wait to see it finished.

The AM9s were Mk1 based but as you say did not match any of the standard loco hauled coaches, except the second opens in the Walton sets. When the 2 car sets were rebuilt as 4 car units and the buffets were removed from the Clacton sets, Mk1 loco hauled coaches were modified to run in the then class 309 units.

The Swindon 4 car inter-city sets had a similar looking front but when you look closely they differ in so many ways I don't know where to start. All the Swindon DMUs looked like they were to a Mk1 design but the profile was totally different, it is very similar (if not the same) as a Mk2 coach without the sharp curve at the bottom covering the solbar. One of the Clacton 4 car units had a buffet that started life in a Swindon DMU. It was easy to tell by its B4 bogies.

Just before they were refurbished the country end in the driving composites were downgraded to second. Those in the know rushed to get a single armchair seat in the old buffet sets, as the first class in them was an open saloon. Others rushed to have a seat in an ex first class compartment of the Walton sets, no taste.

Edited by Clive Mortimore