RMweb

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium

Hi Martin,

OHLE is available from several sources for 2mm/N, Dapol, N Brass, etc. The big problem is it doesn't match the GE area type, so it might be another little challenge! A 2-car set in 7mm wouldn't be toooo bad to make from scratch would it? And it would look good gliding around the NEEGOG test track.

regards,

Izzy (Bob)

Hi Izzy (Bob)

Where on the GE are you modelling? The GE line has the most varied OLE of any line. The early system is on its third rebuild.

N Brass do some nice Mk1 OLE suitable for the Colchester to Clacton section. Chelmsford to Colchester was round post as was quite a bit out towards Bishop Stortford.

Tony- I am not a regular contributor to this thread on the RMweb, rather posting comment mainly on the layout section, but I thought I would respond to your very modest (ie: your continued modesty as to your own significant contribution to the discussion about what makes model railways interesting, accuracy, modelling quality and the like).

From where I sit, about as far south as you can get from the UK in New Zealand, I follow and enjoy the discussion your thread generates and the variety of comment, photos, little digs, humour, understatements, overstatements and everything in-between, your understated wisdom in most responses, because I (and there will be many others) cannot be in the UK to see and enjoy the layouts, models, press launches, commentary etc... that you guys enjoy first-hand as you live there. Your photos for example of the layouts that capture your imagination and give you enjoyment also give us colonials much enjoyment and inspiration: a) because your photos are so good, and B) because you tend to focus in on the 'good' layout modelling; I for one learn a lot from the photos and the comments that go with them.

So, I hope you continue to provide the commentary, photos, opinion, knowledge and humour that makes up your important contribution to striving for excellence in our wonderful hobby, so that people at the bottom of the earth can stay connected and learn from it. That's my perspective on it anyway...

regards, Andy R

My apologies for not replying sooner, Andy. 

My most grateful thanks for your kind comments about Wright Writes. It's the contributions of many which make it what it is.

There are times when I think I'll just post no more. Not because of my being disillusioned (the thread has allowed me to keep in touch during a very dark time in my life) but because the interweb is not my natural home. I much prefer to know exactly with whom I'm in correspondence - I've stated before that I was in a web correspondence with someone I'd known for years, but didn't know (if you see what I mean). How daft! 

My natural home (if I ever had one) with regard to model railways is the exhibition. There, I can meet folk face-to-face, discuss things, learn things first-hand, help folk (if I can) and demonstrate techniques which I use in my modelling. Now I'm able to return to exhibitions, I feel much more at home. I can take pictures of layouts (thanks to all those gracious layout owners who allow me to), not now mainly for magazines but for my own pictorial library - for use in books I'm writing. 

Though it might seem pompous (I hate pomposity), there are so many calls on my time now (even in retirement) that hours spent posting on the web could (in my opinion) be used to much greater personal advantage. Andy York (to whom we must all be grateful to for starting RMweb) suggested to me that the web allows everyone to have their 'time in the spotlight'. I agree with him, but looking through some threads, folk must spend countless hours posting. Why are they not using that gone-forever time making models? Has the interweb 'allowed' some to become 'celebrities', impossible via any other media?

In fairness, there are many who, for whatever reason, cannot attend shows. The web is thus a great asset. Also in fairness, I've found it to be of great use in my research for projects (though one has to have a powerful sieve!).

Today I have umpteen product pictures to take for BRM, I have an introduction to write for a forthcoming book and there are five locos and two carriages on my workbench needing completion. Tomorrow, a friend will arrive with locos for me to examine from the collection of the late Geoff Brewin of Comet Models. I'll check them and make sure they work so as they're able to be sold on, the proceeds going to Geoff's widow. I have a potentially long list of locos to fix for a friend (he donates to a charity in return) and my layout still has a long way to go (I have two privies to paint, having made them at Glasgow).

There are also the number of visitors who visit Little Bytham. Entertaining them (and they entertaining me!) and running the railway gives me a great amount of pleasure - time, most certainly well-spent. 

So, I'll just have to see how time pans out. Looking at the pages of correspondence on the thread when I was away for five days, it'll carry on by itself.  

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Hi Izzy (Bob)

Where on the GE are you modelling? The GE line has the most varied OLE of any line. The early system is on its third rebuild.

N Brass do some nice Mk1 OLE suitable for the Colchester to Clacton section. Chelmsford to Colchester was round post as was quite a bit out towards Bishop Stortford.

Thanks Clive, didn't realise that the N brass was suitable for Clacton-Colchester, the area upon which all my layouts are based.

Izzy

• RMweb Premium

[snip]

Though it might seem pompous (I hate pomposity), there are so many calls on my time now (even in retirement) that hours spent posting on the web could (in my opinion) be used to much greater personal advantage. Andy York (to whom we must all be grateful to for starting RMweb) suggested to me that the web allows everyone to have their 'time in the spotlight'. I agree with him, but looking through some threads, folk must spend countless hours posting. Why are they not using that gone-forever time making models? Has the interweb 'allowed' some to become 'celebrities', impossible via any other media?

[snip]

On the other hand, it seems to me that those who contribute most to RMWeb (yourself included) are actually those who get most modelling done - while those (like me) who just chip in the occasional smart-ass comment achieve very little.

Note to self ...... 

Cheers, Chris

Edited by Chimer

Thanks for the excellent photos of Blackgill, Tony. They really capture the layout well - shame about all of those wonky signals, but that's the price you pay for carting a delicate piece of wood and metal halfway across the country! Glad you enjoyed the show and thanks again for coming over to photograph my dad's hard work!

Arp

For quite a number of years in my previous working-for-a-living life I began to realize that the internet is not all it is cracked up to be. Many people in office jobs use the internet for diversion from what they are paid to do. Follow cricket on line during a test match and the proof is there for all to see.

As to Tony's comment that many people appear to spend more time on RMWeb than they do actual modelling, I am sure that is often correct. I know of one contributor who posts while waiting for paint to dry; that seems to me to be the right priority!

Personally I enjoy this topic of Tony's more than any other, even though I am still quite ignorant of exactly what the ECML is. As a self styled hermit in southern France for much of the time I don't get to visit many shows and exhibitions and I try to make up for this when possible - I quite possibly learn more in a day at an exhibition than in a month of surfing the internet.

My blogs are there for two purposes. The first is to record what I do. This could be as a personal diary but I find the process of recording on line has a greater discipline. The second is to share (a) some of the better things I do in the hope that it inspires others and (b ) some of my errors so that others may not make them. This is perhaps where the internet really scores - hopefully it is a modern day equivalent of the so-called late eighteenth century "Industrial Enlightenment" where the sharing of ideas allowed a quantum leap in civilization to take place.

Now I have to live up to my hype - Saturday I will be at Kettering and next week I hope to spend more time modelling than surfing the inter web.

Edit to remove that emoji thingy that appeared when I entered ( b ) without the spaces.

Edited by Focalplane
  • Like 1

Just to catch up on a couple of things - I have many non-interweb things to do!

I mention the Heljan O Gauge Falcon earlier and here it is................

post-18225-0-67757800-1457005775_thumb.jpg

I saw this actual loco on the 'Master Cutler' on several occasions but never imagined that much later in my life a model like this would ever be available. Paul tells us it can be obtained for £550.00. Amazing! 

15 or so years ago, my elder son, Tom, using an A1 conversion kit, plus a Lima Class 31 donor and much scratch-building produced his FALCON in OO Gauge. It looked quite good, and he still has it. Some little time ago, Heljan produced an OO RTR model, rendering, at a stroke, the 'necessity' of making this one-off prototype (if one needed one). So, personal creativity, craftsmanship and ingenuity were no longer needed in this case. Yet another example of a changing (less skill-based?) hobby.

post-18225-0-07699700-1457005769_thumb.jpg 

Another example of this change can be seen in this RTR Bachmann Super D. Many years ago I scratch-built a chassis for a mate who'd built a GEM kit for this type. The loco appeared on the cover of an issue of Model Railways. Anyone seeing that must have known that the loco was built. Built with no little skill (the body I mean), using lots of time to produce a very personal model. Many years later, I built a Mercian kit for a Super D in EM Gauge. It appeared (if I recall correctly) in Model Rail. I'd like to believe that both models were as good as this Bachmann one, but I could be deluded. However, that's not the point, at least to me. Anyone can own a wonderful model like the two above - just earn enough money. I'll never build an O Gauge FALCON, but the two Super Ds I've been involved with are much more (to me) than purchasing power. 

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 2

I think it was seeing a Super D in a dealer's window that woke me up to how good modern RTR is. It is very, very good. Those who remember how utterly gash RTR British stuff was in the 1970s (like me) can only wonder at the process that brought about this change.

The only snag that I can see is that if you want to model something uncommon (the Scottish area mentioned above is a good example) the trend to RTR will likely have killed off the kits and bits suppliers that would have helped you.

The only snag that I can see is that if you want to model something uncommon (the Scottish area mentioned above is a good example) the trend to RTR will likely have killed off the kits and bits suppliers that would have helped you.

That's true, but it's also true that if you want to model something much more common (eg 30's GW) but don't want to use ready-made stuff a lot of those kits etc are gone too.

Those who remember how utterly gash RTR British stuff was in the 1970s (like me) can only wonder at the process that brought about this change.

Competion.

Only my opinion. Probably my first train set was bought for me about 1968-9. At that time I don't seem to remember there being much alternative for a 9 to 10 year old to Tri-ang-Hornby if you wanted to model the British scene in "HO/OO". Later (was it in the late 1970's?) along came Airfix RTR and Replica and their products seemed so much more detailed that Hornby.

Once Bachmann entered the British market Hornby really had to up their game.

Edited by Porcy Mane

Does this mean there will be a resurgence of S scale, where there is just about no trade support at all?

Thanks for the excellent photos of Blackgill, Tony. They really capture the layout well - 

Just to complement Tony's photograph of Blackgill above and in this post;

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/106526-model-rail-scotland-2016/page-8&do=findComment&comment=2222600

these two photographs have just been posted by Tony Lambert on Flickr.

25074494609_b9d21d5689_c.jpgSulzer Type 2 by Tony Lambert, on Flickr

25446362086_6a6da41867_c.jpg56ton Iron Ore hopper couplings by Tony Lambert, on Flickr

The Sulzer 2 on Iron Ores is only a few hundred yards from Blackgills permanent residence in Washington.

Mr Lamberts photographs are well worth a rummage through for anybody interested in BR Wagons and Coaches of the mid 1960's

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 2

Thank you for clarifying the issue regarding the provenance of the 309 units. I am off to Kettering for the show and will there try to source the Mk 1 bits as it will be an intersting thing to do and possible without a soldering iron involved! 

I never cease to be amazed by the wealth and depth of experience on this thread. It is like no other on the web. I do not spend hours on the web but I do look each day to see what has gone on. I am usually too cold by then if I have been in the shed or the garage doing things. I also get inspiration from the postings and especially the pictures and it is great top be in the company of like minded souls albeit that we all have different interests and focus. Nonetheless I feel it is true that we all appreciate good modelling and I for one am grateful to Tony for starting the thread and for drip feeding some gems from time to time.

As to Falcon, I believe it was tried on the GE mail line for a while before we had the 47's drafted in. I never saw it but it is a handsome beast. I wonder could it have arrived in North Norfolk on its trials?

Thank you gents for keeping the spirits up!

Martin Long

Edited by glo41f

Rm Web for me is a way to see inspirational modelling I wouldn't otherwise see. I get to few if any exhibitions each year so it is a valuable link and I get to see things that I wouldn't necessarily see locally. How else would I see layouts such as LB, Peterborough and Blackgill that can only help me raise my game. I would describe myself very much as a broad brush modeller and my two threads are effectively blogs tracking my own development as a modeller and seeing a steady stream of traffic as some people seem to find my ramblings interesting. My work means a lot of computer use so I don't want to spend a long time on a computer in my limited leisure time.

I build a lot out of necessity though not yet loco kits and don't spend a great deal of time on RM web but it does often start and end my day. Like many have mentioned if I have some time I do some modelling, tonight it was for around 20 minutes after 9pm once I had finished work. I make a point of finding time on Friday evenings and often during the day on Saturdays though family and work commitments have to take priority.

This is a great thread, long may it continue.

Martyn

• RMweb Premium

Just to catch up on a couple of things - I have many non-interweb things to do!

I mention the Heljan O Gauge Falcon earlier and here it is................

attachicon.gifHeljan O Gauge Falcon 01.jpg

I saw this actual loco on the 'Master Cutler' on several occasions but never imagined that much later in my life a model like this would ever be available. Paul tells us it can be obtained for £550.00. Amazing! 

15 or so years ago, my elder son, Tom, using an A1 conversion kit, plus a Lima Class 31 donor and much scratch-building produced his FALCON in OO Gauge. It looked quite good, and he still has it. Some little time ago, Heljan produced an OO RTR model, rendering, at a stroke, the 'necessity' of making this one-off prototype (if one needed one). So, personal creativity, craftsmanship and ingenuity were no longer needed in this case. Yet another example of a changing (less skill-based?) hobby.

Hi Tony

Falcon. Here is one made from good old Slaters 40 thou.

post-16423-0-94975600-1457047695.jpg

Runs on Tri-ang Brush Type 2 bogies, and nicely. It must be 30 years old now and will not be replaced.

I also have a Silver Fox model in its earlier livery, which was given to me. I think I have only run it a couple of times.

I might buy a Heljan 00 one, but in blue livery for Ranelagh Bridge.

• Like 10

Rm Web for me is a way to see inspirational modelling I wouldn't otherwise see. I get to few if any exhibitions each year so it is a valuable link and I get to see things that I wouldn't necessarily see locally. How else would I see layouts such as LB, Peterborough and Blackgill that can only help me raise my game. I would describe myself very much as a broad brush modeller and my two threads are effectively blogs tracking my own development as a modeller and seeing a steady stream of traffic as some people seem to find my ramblings interesting. My work means a lot of computer use so I don't want to spend a long time on a computer in my limited leisure time.

I build a lot out of necessity though not yet loco kits and don't spend a great deal of time on RM web but it does often start and end my day. Like many have mentioned if I have some time I do some modelling, tonight it was for around 20 minutes after 9pm once I had finished work. I make a point of finding time on Friday evenings and often during the day on Saturdays though family and work commitments have to take priority.

This is a great thread, long may it continue.

Martyn

Thanks Martyn,

I'm pleased you find Little Bytham 'inspirational', among others. However, to mention it in the same company as Blackgill needs some qualification, if I may, please? Though I've done a lot of the work on LB myself (particularly with regard to building the locos and most of the passenger rolling stock) it must be acknowledged that much of it is the work of others. Blackgill isn't - it's all (apart from the odd item of stock) the work of one man. That, to me, is much more inspirational and should be commended. It's also modelled in the finest of the 4mm gauges, which requires much greater skill. 

Where professional model-makers have done most of the work, I agree, the results can be outstanding (one should expect nothing less). However, as I've said many times, in my view, the guy (and girl) who does most of the work themselves, deserves the greatest praise. There are many examples on this thread. Praise is, of course, due to those groups who pool resources to produce outstanding work - the likes of Alloa for instance. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Mark

It is indeed a shame that the conversion kits are no longer available(and when they do come up they go for silly money) at my club tonight i managed to find a decent book with plenty of close up shots of both sides of the caprotti fitted standards. Also a railway modeller from september 1989 which has a good drawn and described article on the loco's.

With all this and what i have already i think i have figured out most of it. Now to actually do it. I will try and post a new thread on how i do the conversion to possibly be of help to others who may be interested.

Next in line after this (or perhaps before as it will be easier) is a Hornby gresley buffet in br maroon. After having some advice from tony on sunday i will alter this to try and create a more accurate coach. Having said that i am not going to alter the tumblehome. I know the shape is wrong but if i alter one coach it will mean having to eventually alter all of them, so i will live with the tumblehome shape and just alter the sides.

Gary

Gary

If all else fails search 'Caprotti' on eBay within the next 5 days...almost tempted myself...

Mark

• RMweb Premium

Somebody that makes Falcon out of Plasticard has the patience of a saint (Saint Clive?). I have also seen a steam loco body  and tender made from that sort of thing (not the chassis I'm sure) and that is truly remarkable in my opinion.

I can contemplate producing some easy stuff like small buildings and maybe bits and pieces for Stations and Depots, but actual rolling stock I would never even start.

I'm still 'buzzing' after looking at Blackgill and it is P4 so all the loco's have been buily or modified brilliantly. It really does capture the essence of what I remember of that part of the world (Consett).

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022

Yesterday evening and today were spent in tweaking the final batch of the late Geoff Brewin's locos (of Comet models). They were brought over to me by his friend Phil Bancroft to be assessed and tested, in readiness for being sold on. 

All the following locos run really sweetly now and all were able to take prototypical loads on Little Bytham without stalling or derailing. A few shorts were sorted, loose bodies attached, the odd tight spot attended to, pick-ups adjusted and a full service/oil given on each. 

post-18225-0-44130600-1457216588_thumb.jpg

This is a real curiosity. It's an old Hornby Brit on a Comet chassis with Gibson wheels. Yes, its identity is all wrong (explanations on a postcard), but it would do for someone wishing to renumber and name it. 

post-18225-0-14529400-1457216607_thumb.jpg

This is an absolute flyer - A Golden Arrow body on a Comet chassis, Markits wheels and a Maxon motor.

post-18225-0-05675700-1457216620_thumb.jpg

A Bachmann body on a Comet chassis. A little light, but runs beautifully.

post-18225-0-83066100-1457216632_thumb.jpg

This is a Bachmann loco with a Comet tender

post-18225-0-82529200-1457216645_thumb.jpg

This is (we think) a K's body on a Comet chassis with a Comet tender.

post-18225-0-74935000-1457216663_thumb.jpg

A bit wrong this one, livery-wise. It's a Millholme Pat. It will pull a fair bit, but is a little slow.

post-18225-0-30168600-1457216678_thumb.jpg

An old Hornby body on a Comet chassis. 

post-18225-0-62624900-1457217633_thumb.jpg

Built from a DJH kit.

There are also a couple of Prairies and a 56XX.

Given that almost all the locos have the latest (and expensive) Markits drivers, plus proper gearboxes and can motors (some with flywheels), and they all run really well (those who know me know of my zeal with regard to running), I think they'll represent really good value for money. They'll be ideal candidates for personal improvements/alterations/completions, etc in some cases. 

For those interested, Phil can be PM'd (is there such a phrase?) on 96701 (he posted a little while back). All proceeds will go to a cancer charity. I've donated my time, so it's all in a good cause. 

• Like 6

Our hobby is a very broad church and perhaps the following sum up where I am up to, not up there with the top flight  but learning and gaining pleasure. I have to do it all and be creative as things aren't easily available here unless ordered in and a limited budget means a bit of ingenuity is often called for!

Today I spent time trying to get Pott Row running again, it was worked on for much of the middle of last year so wasn't running. Then, just as I got it operational again a toilet above the garage decided to keep filling itself for around 30 minutes and as the overflow pipe came out in the roof of the garage emptied itself onto the right hand fiddle yard narrowly missing the stock. Fortunately none was stored where the water landed and the sheets covering the layout from dust kept the splashes off everything. It took until the new year to sort out the problem so again work on the layout was stopped.

The layout will eventually represent an East Anglian station on the Cambridgeshire/Norfolk border roughly in the 1948-55 period. It is set in the autumn when the sugar beet season is in full swing meaning goods traffic is thriving but passenger trains are short. Structures will be mainly scratchbuilt having ripped all the Scalescenes kits out last year. They are great but were generic so no longer met my needs. I also replaced the photographic back scene with a home made one produced with a couple of rattle cans. Lighting is LED, photos taken with my phone and simply cropped.

A Bachmann 08 shunting wagons and checking all point work is working smoothly. This sums up my modelling really, SMP track, shunter picked up cheap on Ebay minus handrails that have been added, new pick ups and a hard wired TCS decoder. The wagons are a mix of kits with the nearest wagon by Bachmann, all weathered.

attachicon.gifWP_20160305_11_20_01_Pro.jpg

This is the loco yard complete with wonky water tower (Peco modified to look like the one at North Walsham town if I remember rightly) It got knocked during some work last year! The renumbered and weathered J39 is still running surprisingly well on its original chassis though the tender has a Mainly Trains chassis as the original wore out. It must be at least 15 years old. TCS decoder put in by Model Yard many years ago. New chassis will happen at some point in the future, probably will have a go at the Comet version.

attachicon.gifWP_20160305_11_30_03_Pro.jpg

Ancient Airfix Brake 3rd still in LMS livery, weatherd with added passengers and corridor connections from Modellers Mecca. Again picked up cheap on Ebay.

attachicon.gifWP_20160305_11_49_04_Pro.jpg

Ratio all third in dingy LNER brown representing those used on the M&GN in the early 50s.

attachicon.gifWP_20160305_11_49_16_Pro.jpg

The two coaches can usually be found behind a still to be weathered 4mt representing state of the art railway technology in the early 50s. I have two 4mts, they at least have appropriate numbers and tablet  catchers on their tenders.

Detailing of the track work is still to be finished but works surprisingly well, there is also a motorised Peco Turntable.

One mans journey, so far representing around 6 1/2 years work, times of real pleasure and mad frustration but then that is railway modelling all over isn't it?

Hope it is of interest.

Martyn

Dear Martyn,

Thanks for posting these images. You should be proud of your personal work, especially the weathering on the wagons and the J39. Please keep us posted on further progress.

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright

Somebody that makes Falcon out of Plasticard has the patience of a saint (Saint Clive?). I have also seen a steam loco body  and tender made from that sort of thing (not the chassis I'm sure) and that is truly remarkable in my opinion.

I can contemplate producing some easy stuff like small buildings and maybe bits and pieces for Stations and Depots, but actual rolling stock I would never even start.

Phil

It's worth looking at some of whats being turned out on Silhouette card cutters - some of the output is an eyeopener. Here is a link to the thread on it - it can get technical but following the contributors should show their own work. - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/79025-a-guide-to-using-the-silhouette-cameo-cutter/

Here is a good example of what can be done by a  builder who has similar interests to my own - HR panelled coaches -  http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/79446-coach-bodging/page-3 All the technical input is a bit beyond me but I have some of his coaches waiting to be put together and I think the likes of this machine is going to provide a lot of scope for those looking for "uncommercial" products.

My apologies for not replying sooner, Andy. 

My most grateful thanks for your kind comments about Wright Writes. It's the contributions of many which make it what it is.

There are times when I think I'll just post no more. Not because of my being disillusioned (the thread has allowed me to keep in touch during a very dark time in my life) but because the interweb is not my natural home. I much prefer to know exactly with whom I'm in correspondence - I've stated before that I was in a web correspondence with someone I'd known for years, but didn't know (if you see what I mean). How daft! 

My natural home (if I ever had one) with regard to model railways is the exhibition. There, I can meet folk face-to-face, discuss things, learn things first-hand, help folk (if I can) and demonstrate techniques which I use in my modelling. Now I'm able to return to exhibitions, I feel much more at home. I can take pictures of layouts (thanks to all those gracious layout owners who allow me to), not now mainly for magazines but for my own pictorial library - for use in books I'm writing. 

In fairness, there are many who, for whatever reason, cannot attend shows. The web is thus a great asset. Also in fairness, I've found it to be of great use in my research for projects (though one has to have a powerful sieve!).

Today I have umpteen product pictures to take for BRM, I have an introduction to write for a forthcoming book and there are five locos and two carriages on my workbench needing completion. Tomorrow, a friend will arrive with locos for me to examine from the collection of the late Geoff Brewin of Comet Models. I'll check them and make sure they work so as they're able to be sold on, the proceeds going to Geoff's widow. I have a potentially long list of locos to fix for a friend (he donates to a charity in return) and my layout still has a long way to go (I have two privies to paint, having made them at Glasgow).

There are also the number of visitors who visit Little Bytham. Entertaining them (and they entertaining me!) and running the railway gives me a great amount of pleasure - time, most certainly well-spent. 

So, I'll just have to see how time pans out. Looking at the pages of correspondence on the thread when I was away for five days, it'll carry on by itself.  

Hi Tony, many thanks for your response to my small commentary on the value you provide to many through this thread. Your response just shows how busy you are and that in itself is interesting for many who cannot get the time, resources or have the energy to do so many things. And, yes the thread might be able to carry-on by itself, but I think you can proudly claim to be the glue that keeps the thing cohesive, relevant and interesting. I think you should be really happy with this. I for one would love you to continue in this role.

regards, Andy R

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Yesterday evening and today were spent in tweaking the final batch of the late Geoff Brewin's locos (of Comet models). They were brought over to me by his friend Phil Bancroft to be assessed and tested, in readiness for being sold on. 

All the following locos run really sweetly now and all were able to take prototypical loads on Little Bytham without stalling or derailing. A few shorts were sorted, loose bodies attached, the odd tight spot attended to, pick-ups adjusted and a full service/oil given on each. 

attachicon.gifBrit.jpg

This is a real curiosity. It's an old Hornby Brit on a Comet chassis with Gibson wheels. Yes, its identity is all wrong (explanations on a postcard), but it would do for someone wishing to renumber and name it. 

attachicon.gifDoG.jpg

This is an absolute flyer - A Golden Arrow body on a Comet chassis, Markits wheels and a Maxon motor.

attachicon.gifHall.jpg

A Bachmann body on a Comet chassis. A little light, but runs beautifully.

attachicon.gifJub 1.jpg

This is a Bachmann loco with a Comet tender

attachicon.gifJub 2.jpg

This is (we think) a K's body on a Comet chassis with a Comet tender.

attachicon.gifPatriot.jpg

A bit wrong this one, livery-wise. It's a Millholme Pat. It will pull a fair bit, but is a little slow.

attachicon.gifPrincess Coronation.jpg

An old Hornby body on a Comet chassis. 

attachicon.gif78XXX.jpg

Built from a DJH kit.

There are also a couple of Prairies and a 56XX.

Given that almost all the locos have the latest (and expensive) Markits drivers, plus proper gearboxes and can motors (some with flywheels), and they all run really well (those who know me know of my zeal with regard to running), I think they'll represent really good value for money. They'll be ideal candidates for personal improvements/alterations/completions, etc in some cases. 

For those interested, Phil can be PM'd (is there such a phrase?) on 96701 (he posted a little while back). All proceeds will go to a cancer charity. I've donated my time, so it's all in a good cause. 

Tony,

Many thanks for your time and nuts and bolts, and many thanks to Mo for her hospitality. I feel much happier having seen the locos performing on your layout. I look forward to seeing you again.