Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

Hi Tony

I think what I am trying to get across, modelling historic layouts is wonderful but perhaps we should not be comparing the past with today as the railway has changed to meet differing requirements.

Isn't the enthusiast view on the railway, especially that of the past a romantic one? I am just old enough to remember holidays in North Wales and seeing Black Fives going hell for leather on passenger trains and Winston Churchill thundering through Farnborough station when visiting my nan. I don't think things were helped by the writings of the time by mainly middle class enthusiast who didn't have to rake out an ash pan form inside the pit. Yes there was more activity and greater variety of locomotives and stock than today, plus there were the country stations that saw a couple of stopping trains and may be a trip freight each day which were all added to the memory banks. Trouble is our memory is great for us when thinking of happy times which we do when model making, it is supposed to be enjoyable but it can blank out the worst aspects.

I have vivid memories when I was a young boy of standing in the corridor of an over crowded and dirty train hauled by a steam locomotive that seemed to stop in the middle of nowhere every few minutes. I now travel mainly by car on over crowded roads. And I remember crossing Goldington Green in 1963, when the snow went over the tops of my wellies and school uniform was shorts.

As for my modelling, I am a historic modeller and a D&E modeller at the same time. In fact the time difference between our respective modelling periods is only 8 years maximum. Thank you for you nice comment about the diesel models.

Thanks Clive,

To pick up a point, why shouldn't we compare today's railways with the past.

I think the majority of comments on the subject recently refer to how much more interesting to the enthusiast the railways of yesteryear are/were, compared with the scenes today. It's good to know that there have been some improvements on the network recently, but are they enough to motivate many modellers into recreating scenes from today? I doubt it. And this, in a nutshell, to me, bodes rather badly for the long-term future of the hobby. 

I have no wish to labour the point, and my apologies if much of what I'm writing is repetitive, but in my formative years I 'modelled' what I saw on a daily basis. So, for instance, my oldest friend lived in Curzon Park in Chester. For those who know that ancient city of my birth and upbringing, the swanky location (his father was a test pilot!) is adjacent to the cutting between the Dee crossing and Saltney Junction. One day, none other than DUCHESS OF MONTROSE went past (a Polmadie cop!), and we couldn't wait to dash to his home after school and recreate the scene (albeit really poorly), using his Hornby-Dublo system. Tinplate coaches, too few in number, had to suffice, but I hope you get my point. He's still interested in railways (though he's not really a modeller) and attends exhibitions. There were (and are), still tens of thousands like him. In that cutting, there used to be four, immaculately-kept tracks passing between the occupation bridges. At Saltney Junction itself, there were some splendid, sky-background in some cases, semaphore signals, plenty of sidings and the twin tracks heading towards Wrexham and the WR. Today, finding the more-westerly of those occupation bridges results in encountering Japanese soldiers still fighting the Second World War (the amusing metaphor is not mine, but it fits!) Once those ancient combatants have been passed, and machetes have been blunted, peering through the trees which are growing out of the bridge deck (yes, real trees!), gives a most depressing sight indeed. What used to be the site of the fast MR lines is now a forest - a potential habitat for endangered species?) What remains are what used to be the MR relief/WR lines, with just a single lead off towards Wrexham. Even though the view is elevated, the tracks quickly disappear behind a great shield of trees. Who, not even one of today's trainspotters, in their right mind, could be motivated to pedal home and recreate a weirdly-painted unit negotiating Chester's version of Amazonia?

As I say, why shouldn't we compare today's railways with those of the past? Or, should I say contrast? Can anyone envisage a modeller creating such a current scene as I've described in 50 years' time, if there are still any modellers? So much for the long-term future of the hobby.

Yesterday was very busy, with five dear friends visiting, and the making of a BRM DVD in the afternoon. Two of those friends drive expresses past my house (they toot as they fizz by!) Both are modellers, very fine modellers (thanks Andy for the wonderful gift of the scratch-built wagon), but both model the steam era. Though they are both entirely professional in what they do, what they drive and what they pass along have no interest to them, modelling-wise. Before the BRM team arrived, we attempted to run the sequence (I cocked up as usual). That sequence is based on the 1958 summer passenger timetable and appropriate working timetable. It comprises of through expresses, stopping passenger trains, wagons/vans attached/detached, light engine movements, the multiple changing of points and the operation of seven signals (over 20, if you count the ground signals), some co-acting and splitting. When done properly (and even with the operational cock-ups), it's very interesting and great fun. Imagine my modelling LB as it is today? Plenty of through expresses (many more, but, give or take, all the HST sets are the same, all the 91 sets are the same, all the Grand Central sets are the same, as are the Hull Trains - the units vary between two and four cars). Freight is (perhaps?) more interesting, but most trains are hauled by 'Sheds', just in different colours. No points to change, fully-automatic signals, no stoppers and a banal uniformity. What kind of interesting operational sequence could one make of that? My 1958 sequence begins with a stopping freight (J6, a K or a 2-8-0). Then it's the overnight Glasgow-Colchester, routed via the main line - mainly vans, with a few passenger cars (usually a V2, or even a Brit), then a Leeds express (A1), then Up and Down full/empty minerals (2-8-0 or 2-10-0), then a pair of stoppers (a Pacific running-in or a 2-6-0 or 4-6-0), then the Down Morning Talisman (A1/A4), and so on and so on. What's even more important is that I've personally made most of these (with a few RTR mods). Yes, me, as a modeller. Who makes models of what runs on today's railway?

Today's railways, though, in many cases, they provide a frequent and fast service, to the majority of enthusiast (and more importantly, to the future enthusiast), hold no interest at all, and certainly no interest in making models of them. That's why we should compare/contrast the railways of the past and today, and be concerned about the modelling implications of it. Well, that's my point of view, anyway.

Regards,

Tony.  

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 3

Hi Tony,

We certainly had some good fun playing trains on Tuesday, and a jolly good natter (I can natter for England, one of my many faults), many thanks for being a fine host. Thanks also for re-producing your new photo of my Hornby Crosti pulling one of your coal trains. Awhile back on the RMweb Crosti review thread, I received some stick over the weathering, suggesting i'd over-egged it with the white staining. That was down to my ignorance of camera settings, and the white was being over-emphasised. I nearly gave it another fine spray of black, but it looked okay to me in the flesh, Tony's superior photograph shows it as it is.

Paul's panniers look good, I like the way he has neatly removed the top feed. I do love the fine handbuilt trackwork on LB's scenic section, some of the best 'OO' track you'll ever see. More of Tony's photos will hopefully follow, including my naughty half-built diesel train, that was on a shake-down test run, which de-railed and unfortunately clouted one of Little Bytham's ground discs. Whoops!

Cheers, Brian.

Brian,

They'll follow tomorrow. 

• RMweb Premium

Yesterday, Paul Marshal Potter and Brian Kirby came to run the railway. 

And a very enjoyable day it was, like Retford, Blea Moor, Lydham Heath naming three off the top of my head, I find layouts replicating or very closely based on real places fascinating. I was particularly taken by the setting of the 'track' within the landscape, and the train storage. One highlight was watching (can we see that one go mister?) 'Merlin' , and the day has certainly given me plenty to think about for future projects.

Thank you again for your and Mo's hospitality and one day I'd be very pleased to reciprocate with a home match, it was a grand day out.

Paul

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Clive,

To pick up a point, why shouldn't we compare today's railways with the past.

I think the majority of comments on the subject recently refer to how much more interesting to the enthusiast the railways of yesteryear are/were, compared with the scenes today. It's good to know that there have been some improvements on the network recently, but are they enough to motivate many modellers into recreating scenes from today? I doubt it. And this, in a nutshell, to me, bodes rather badly for the long-term future of the hobby. 

I have no wish to labour the point, and my apologies if much of what I'm writing is repetitive, but in my formative years I 'modelled' what I saw on a daily basis. So, for instance, my oldest friend lived in Curzon Park in Chester. For those who know that ancient city of my birth and upbringing, the swanky location (his father was a test pilot!) is adjacent to the cutting between the Dee crossing and Saltney Junction. One day, none other than DUCHESS OF MONTROSE went past (a Polmadie cop!), and we couldn't wait to dash to his home after school and recreate the scene (albeit really poorly), using his Hornby-Dublo system. Tinplate coaches, too few in number, had to suffice, but I hope you get my point. He's still interested in railways (though he's not really a modeller) and attends exhibitions. There were (and are), still tens of thousands like him. In that cutting, there used to be four, immaculately-kept tracks passing between the occupation bridges. At Saltney Junction itself, there were some splendid, sky-background in some cases, semaphore signals, plenty of sidings and the twin tracks heading towards Wrexham and the WR. Today, finding the more-westerly of those occupation bridges results in encountering Japanese soldiers still fighting the Second World War (the amusing metaphor is not mine, but it fits!) Once those ancient combatants have been passed, and machetes have been blunted, peering through the trees which are growing out of the bridge deck (yes, real trees!), gives a most depressing sight indeed. What used to be the site of the fast MR lines is now a forest - a potential habitat for endangered species?) What remains are what used to be the MR relief/WR lines, with just a single lead off towards Wrexham. Even though the view is elevated, the tracks quickly disappear behind a great shield of trees. Who, not even one of today's trainspotters, in their right mind, could be motivated to pedal home and recreate a weirdly-painted unit negotiating Chester's version of Amazonia?

As I say, why shouldn't we compare today's railways with those of the past? Or, should I say contrast? Can anyone envisage a modeller creating such a current scene as I've described in 50 years' time, if there are still any modellers? So much for the long-term future of the hobby.

Yesterday was very busy, with five dear friends visiting, and the making of a BRM DVD in the afternoon. Two of those friends drive expresses past my house (they toot as they fizz by!) Both are modellers, very fine modellers (thanks Andy for the wonderful gift of the scratch-built wagon), but both model the steam era. Though they are both entirely professional in what they do, what they drive and what they pass along have no interest to them, modelling-wise. Before the BRM team arrived, we attempted to run the sequence (I cocked up as usual). That sequence is based on the 1958 summer passenger timetable and appropriate working timetable. It comprises of through expresses, stopping passenger trains, wagons/vans attached/detached, light engine movements, the multiple changing of points and the operation of seven signals (over 20, if you count the ground signals), some co-acting and splitting. When done properly (and even with the operational cock-ups), it's very interesting and great fun. Imagine my modelling LB as it is today? Plenty of through expresses (many more, but, give or take, all the HST sets are the same, all the 91 sets are the same, all the Grand Central sets are the same, as are the Hull Trains - the units vary between two and four cars). Freight is (perhaps?) more interesting, but most trains are hauled by 'Sheds', just in different colours. No points to change, fully-automatic signals, no stoppers and a banal uniformity. What kind of interesting operational sequence could one make of that? My 1958 sequence begins with a stopping freight (J6, a K or a 2-8-0). Then it's the overnight Glasgow-Colchester, routed via the main line - mainly vans, with a few passenger cars (usually a V2, or even a Brit), then a Leeds express (A1), then Up and Down full/empty minerals (2-8-0 or 2-10-0), then a pair of stoppers (a Pacific running-in or a 2-6-0 or 4-6-0), then the Down Morning Talisman (A1/A4), and so on and so on. What's even more important is that I've personally made most of these (with a few RTR mods). Yes, me, as a modeller. Who makes models of what runs on today's railway?

Today's railways, though, in many cases, they provide a frequent and fast service, to the majority of enthusiast (and more importantly, to the future enthusiast), hold no interest at all, and certainly no interest in making models of them. That's why we should compare/contrast the railways of the past and today, and be concerned about the modelling implications of it. Well, that's my point of view, anyway.

Regards,

Tony.  

Hi Tony

Who makes models of what runs on today's railway, you ask? 4th and 5th June, Burton on Trent Town Hall, Burton on Trent, please pop along and visit a very active group's model railway exhibition. There you will find a large number of diesel and electric layouts and models including some that will be as up to date as possible.

We can all reminisce about the past and how things have changed. I can agree it is sad to see where a busy railway once went turning into a wasteland. My mate Steve would be in his element looking at all the birds nesting this time of year. There can be a positive to someone else's negative.

You mentioned the long term future of the hobby, does it need a long term? Pick up any 1950s model railway magazine and most articles were written by middle class professionals who had the cash and time to partake in a hobby. Today it is a much wider hobby because of society changes means many others have spare cash and time. Most of those active in the hobby are in the second half of their lives, and it is thriving, just look at the investment made by the RTR manufacturers. Now as everyone moans today's railways do not encourage many new modellers, they do but at a lower percentage of their age group than my age group. The greater number of pastimes available means there will be a lower number of newer modellers, another change. The hobby will alter over the next couple of decades as we say good bye to many respected modellers but it will not die, it will be smaller. Do care about its future? No I don't, I am quite happy to enjoy my hobby. This might be a selfish view but why worry about the future when you should be enjoying today. The future can take care of itself.

Can I put to you who these days makes models of locomotives? I tend to discount kit building as it is assembly of a pile of bits, I mean scracthbuilding as modelling where you have to source the drawings, the materials and work out how to make it.  I have given up as every scracthbuilt model I have made is now available in RTR except 10800. My model of this loco sits in front of me to remind me of what I use to do.

When I say model making is scracthbuilding I am not being elitist, with the standard of my stuff I cannot claim that but I get more enjoyment from scratchbuilding than trying to make the parts of a kit fit or correct the things that are wrong with a RTR model.

Tony,

I appreciate I'm a little late on this but in reference to the pic of two pannier tanks on a freight train in the last batch of your pics can you tell and explain what you used; camera, lens, aperture, etc., and if there is any jiggery pokery like focus stacking used? There is certainly an impressive depth of field but I seem to recall you saying you don't bother with electronic trickery/enhancements.

G

Hi Tony,

I'm not an expert on the O2 locomotive ( though I do have some notes on GC men's reminiscences of them), and have never seen one of Heljans models. However doesn't the valve gear and slide bars look a bit wonky? I can't work out if the valve gear is in reverse or the motion bracket has become detached from under the running board. You mentioned that the running board is mounted higher on the type modelled, is this the cause?. Alternatively the slide bars seem to be at a very odd angle, are they distorting the rest?

Hi Tony,

I'm not an expert on the O2 locomotive ( though I do have some notes on GC men's reminiscences of them), and have never seen one of Heljans models. However doesn't the valve gear and slide bars look a bit wonky? I can't work out if the valve gear is in reverse or the motion bracket has become detached from under the running board. You mentioned that the running board is mounted higher on the type modelled, is this the cause?. Alternatively the slide bars seem to be at a very odd angle, are they distorting the rest?

Andrew,

It might well be that the motion support bracket is too low for an O2/3 (to accommodate the O2/1s and O2/2s when they're made?). It could also be that the valve gear is a bit 'wonky'. What you see was a virtual wreck when I got it. Whoever had taken it out of its packaging had picked it up by the valve gear, resulting in an impression of metal spaghetti. My straightening out of it might not be entirely successful. The blanking plate in the tender had been taken out and forced in the wrong way round, virtually wrecking any chance of DCC function, and the wires connecting across the drawbar were damaged. I was, thus, given it, to see what I might make of it. What you see is the result, warts 'n all. As I said, I made a spare GN tender I had, and turned the loco into an O2/2. Agreed, it isn't right, but it's a 'layout loco', nothing more. Yesterday, with two further friends present, I set it off on 45 wagons and a van, whilst we installed some further ground signal mechanisms. Over an hour later, it was still purring round. Could any of us see the faults you (correctly) describe? Of course not, especially given the ages of our eyes! The two guys used to fire O2/2s, and they thought it looked fine. They did not, of course, scrutinise it with the same degree of vigour as my camera.  

Tony,

I appreciate I'm a little late on this but in reference to the pic of two pannier tanks on a freight train in the last batch of your pics can you tell and explain what you used; camera, lens, aperture, etc., and if there is any jiggery pokery like focus stacking used? There is certainly an impressive depth of field but I seem to recall you saying you don't bother with electronic trickery/enhancements.

G

Grahame,

Because I'm a traditionalist, though I admit to using a digital camera, I get the depth of field I require by optics alone, not by computer jiggery-pokery. Andy York (bless him) once explained the process of photo-stacking to me, but he might just as well have attempted to describe nuclear fusion to a Neanderthal, for all the good it did.

I cannot get on with miniature cameras, either.

The picture was taken using a Nikon Df body with a (specialist?) Nikon 55mm Micro lens (NOT macro) set to its minimum aperture (between F32 and F45). Lighting was the ambient lighting in the room with any harsh shadows taken out with pulses of electronic flash from a Metz 45 independent flash gun. ASA was 200, and the gun's pulses were set to F5.6. Exposure was around 15 seconds, with the mirror up. I used none of the automatic features on the camera, focusing by hand around the first wagon of the train, letting the tiny aperture do the rest. The 55mm lens focuses on anything between an inch away and infinite. It is not, nor is the camera, cheap. Someone once said to me that he'd chosen a really expensive camera, which had cost him over £400.00. Good for him.  

That's it.  

Edited by Tony Wright

Hi Tony,

We certainly had some good fun playing trains on Tuesday, and a jolly good natter (I can natter for England, one of my many faults), many thanks for being a fine host. Thanks also for re-producing your new photo of my Hornby Crosti pulling one of your coal trains. Awhile back on the RMweb Crosti review thread, I received some stick over the weathering, suggesting i'd over-egged it with the white staining. That was down to my ignorance of camera settings, and the white was being over-emphasised. I nearly gave it another fine spray of black, but it looked okay to me in the flesh, Tony's superior photograph shows it as it is.

Paul's panniers look good, I like the way he has neatly removed the top feed. I do love the fine handbuilt trackwork on LB's scenic section, some of the best 'OO' track you'll ever see. More of Tony's photos will hopefully follow, including my naughty half-built diesel train, that was on a shake-down test run, which de-railed and unfortunately clouted one of Little Bytham's ground discs. Whoops!

Cheers, Brian.

Brian,

As promised, more of the pictures from Tuesday's visit. 

post-18225-0-65143400-1463728807_thumb.jpg

Paul's much worked-over Bachmann Brush Type 4 (with wholly incorrect, for its train, four-character code) effortlessly hauls 45 wagons. My thanks for mentioning Norman Solomon's perfect track, which I think is shown to be that, here. In a previous post, someone asked how I get great depth of field. You saw how I did it. 

post-18225-0-82023400-1463728809_thumb.jpg

Another of Paul's beautiful make-overs, this time a Bachmann O8 with Brassmaster parts. 

post-18225-0-57238700-1463728811_thumb.jpg

His pair of Oxford Rail wagons, or what started out as such. 

post-18225-0-53841600-1463728813_thumb.jpg

And your ground doll-clouting Swindon Inter City DMU. Scratch-building at its best, and my compliments. Don't worry, the signal's now fine. 

Once again, thanks for a great day. 

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Going back to the previous posts about the modern railway scene, it saddens me that people get little from it.   I model immediate pre grouping which has so much of interest in terms of operations but also in research to try and make a good model.  However I can also appreciate some of the modelling that goes into some ultra modern layouts.  I think particularly of Troutons that has been built in our club, which does have operational interest as well as block trains.  It also has some very high class modelling on the scenic side as well as much work done on modifying rtr rolling stock to get it looking correct.

As to the prototype scene I hope that I will never lose my fascination for it.   Apart from a couple of year after steam finished, I have never lost my love of watching trains.  In fact at many times in my life when things have been rather stressful, my soul has always been restored, by simply going trackside and watching trains rill by.  These can be in the UK or anywhere in the world.  I once spent a very intense week in El Salvador which was very thought provoking. On my way home I had a few days in Southern California and time spent on Cajon pas and Tehachapi was a great way of putting my thoughts in order. 

As to modelling the modern scene with OHLE, I'm trying to build 1907 style equipment and that's difficult enough, If anyone can produce a model of LB in modern times with correct OHLE and all the minutae of modern trackside equipment then I will take my hat off to them.

Jamie

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Going back to the previous posts about the modern railway scene, it saddens me that people get little from it.   I model immediate pre grouping which has so much of interest in terms of operations but also in research to try and make a good model.  However I can also appreciate some of the modelling that goes into some ultra modern layouts.

Oh, I can appreciate a good modern scene model, and have often spent a decent amount of time watching one if I see one at an exhibition. I think that good modelling is worth looking at and enjoyable whatever time and location, and there's something about a model of something that you can go and see doing its day job in 1:1 too. Doesn't change how I feel about the 1:1 version though!

Good modelling is good modelling, whatever the era.  I model 1948-1970, and I do compare yesterday to today-Spalding then and Now would be a good starter as to why I have no interest in today's railway.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Tony,

I would have to agree with you! The valve gear looks very odd. The motion bracket does look as if it has dropped down as there shouldn't be a gap between the top of the bracket and the footplate. It gives the impression that the loco is in reverse gear. The slidebars certainly point down at the back, changing the angle of the connecting rod quite a bit.

Whether we accept these things as they are not obvious as a loco runs round a layout has to be a matter of personal choice but I have to say that if it was me, I would be having a look to see if they could be corrected without a major rebuild, especially if photos are going to appear in the public domain.

Go on Tony, you know the right thing to do!

• RMweb Premium

In compiling the Deltic book, I've come across pictures I took 40+ years ago, with small boys eagerly taking rubbings of the nameplates at Doncaster. Real (and future) enthusiasts.

Could have been me!

Tony G

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi Tony

Who makes models of what runs on today's railway, you ask? 4th and 5th June, Burton on Trent Town Hall, Burton on Trent, please pop along and visit a very active group's model railway exhibition. There you will find a large number of diesel and electric layouts and models including some that will be as up to date as possible.

We can all reminisce about the past and how things have changed. I can agree it is sad to see where a busy railway once went turning into a wasteland. My mate Steve would be in his element looking at all the birds nesting this time of year. There can be a positive to someone else's negative.

You mentioned the long term future of the hobby, does it need a long term? Pick up any 1950s model railway magazine and most articles were written by middle class professionals who had the cash and time to partake in a hobby. Today it is a much wider hobby because of society changes means many others have spare cash and time. Most of those active in the hobby are in the second half of their lives, and it is thriving, just look at the investment made by the RTR manufacturers. Now as everyone moans today's railways do not encourage many new modellers, they do but at a lower percentage of their age group than my age group. The greater number of pastimes available means there will be a lower number of newer modellers, another change. The hobby will alter over the next couple of decades as we say good bye to many respected modellers but it will not die, it will be smaller. Do care about its future? No I don't, I am quite happy to enjoy my hobby. This might be a selfish view but why worry about the future when you should be enjoying today. The future can take care of itself.

Can I put to you who these days makes models of locomotives? I tend to discount kit building as it is assembly of a pile of bits, I mean scracthbuilding as modelling where you have to source the drawings, the materials and work out how to make it.  I have given up as every scracthbuilt model I have made is now available in RTR except 10800. My model of this loco sits in front of me to remind me of what I use to do.

When I say model making is scracthbuilding I am not being elitist, with the standard of my stuff I cannot claim that but I get more enjoyment from scratchbuilding than trying to make the parts of a kit fit or correct the things that are wrong with a RTR model.

I have visited DEMU Showcase several times. Not because I am a big modern image fan but because there is usually some high quality modelling, good people to chat to and specialist trade support.

I would not say that most of the layouts on show represent the railways of today. The vast majority are historical and go back to blue/green diesel times, when the railway scene was pretty much the same as steam days.

The list of layouts this year does not specify what period they represent and I don't recognise (or more likely remember) many but something like "Netherwood Sidings" is an example of a railway which is more historical than modern.

One of the reasons why I model the pre-grouping scene is that I can build things from scratch that are reasonable but probably not up to modern RTR standards and I don't have to run them next to offerings from Hornby/Bachmann etc.

I agree 100% about the future of the hobby. We may be the last generation that builds model railways the way we do. In 20 years there may be so few railway modellers that all trade support goes and the hobby contracts to a few scratchbuilders. Or it may flourish as things like 3D printing allow tiny productions runs and models made to order rather than a great financial outlay for moulds and tooling. All we can really do is to enjoy ourselves and not get too wound up about having any responsibility for what happens in the future.

• RMweb Premium

I agree 100% about the future of the hobby. We may be the last generation that builds model railways the way we do. In 20 years there may be so few railway modellers that all trade support goes and the hobby contracts to a few scratchbuilders. Or it may flourish as things like 3D printing allow tiny productions runs and models made to order rather than a great financial outlay for moulds and tooling. All we can really do is to enjoy ourselves and not get too wound up about having any responsibility for what happens in the future.

Some interesting thoughts about that and the future in the "Evolution of the hobby" thread.

Grahame,

Because I'm a traditionalist, though I admit to using a digital camera, I get the depth of field I require by optics alone, not by computer jiggery-pokery. Andy York (bless him) once explained the process of photo-stacking to me, but he might just as well have attempted to describe nuclear fusion to a Neanderthal, for all the good it did.

I cannot get on with miniature cameras, either.

The picture was taken using a Nikon Df body with a (specialist?) Nikon 55mm Micro lens (NOT macro) set to its minimum aperture (between F32 and F45). Lighting was the ambient lighting in the room with any harsh shadows taken out with pulses of electronic flash from a Metz 45 independent flash gun. ASA was 200, and the gun's pulses were set to F5.6. Exposure was around 15 seconds, with the mirror up. I used none of the automatic features on the camera, focusing by hand around the first wagon of the train, letting the tiny aperture do the rest. The 55mm lens focuses on anything between an inch away and infinite. It is not, nor is the camera, cheap. Someone once said to me that he'd chosen a really expensive camera, which had cost him over £400.00. Good for him.  

That's it.  

Many thanks for that. It is, much as I suspected, and similar to how I still try to undertake a little model (miniature?) railway photography.

I've a Nikon 40mm Micro (along with the usual suspects) which is a fairly cheap lens but does seem to give pretty good results (certainly better than my, more expensive and a lot more bulky, Nikkor Micro 105mm). It is used on a Nikon DSLR D7000 body with the aperture set as small as it will go and the shutter release triggered by the self timer. Interesting is that you use 200ASA and only ambient lighting - I've some lamps, each fitted with three of those small spiral daylight (5500K) fluorescent bulbs, meaning that the exposure time is a lot less than 15 secs. The big difference is the scale of the models, with mine all being N gauge (1:148 scale) which possibly accentuates the DoF and lighting issues. But I'll keep plugging away to try and get as good as you.

G.

Thanks to Tony for posting the pic of my half-built DMUs, on their first continuous test run, i'd only attached the pick-ups the night before! We had twelve cars to play with, which made up into four 3-car sets, in various combinations, including the later fixed 6-car formations with buffet and trailer first in the middle, but Paul and Tony were both yawning and nodding off by then. They all ran around LB perfectly well, but we had one or two derailments, and the odd wobble, but i'd put that down to lack of flexibility in the inner couplings and lack of weight in each body. For the record the cars were: DMBS W79091, Buffet W79441, iDMBS W79083;   iDMBS W79084, TFK W79473, DMBS W79092;   DMBS ScR51034, TCK ScR59403, DMS ScR51023;    DMS ScR79168, Buffet ScR59098, DMBS ScR79111.  If this hasn't bored the pants off you, here's a link to their construction thread:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/81538-more-swindon-and-derby-dmus/

Cheers, Brian.

• Like 2

I'd just like to add that though I have little interest in the full size modern scene, hardly ever looking up at the Pendolinos etc that whiz past my house I like to view modern image layouts, and I must say I find most of them are absolutely superb and very absorbing. The Wigan exhibition is my main event.

I reckon this hobby WILL outlive our generation. It will, no doubt change, but as with everything in life, time will tell.

Brit15

• Like 1

Many people do exactly that in Sydney - for example, folk from the Northern Beaches can catch a bus to Manly, the ferry to Circular Quay then a train to other bits of the city centre. In a few years' time, that last bit will be by tram!

Up to 1939 you could have done the whole lot by tram (allowing for a walk across the bridge at Spit Junction from the Manly to the N.Sydney system - and the intention had always been to rebuild the bridge and link up)

Not that the ferry wouldn't have been faster

post-80-0-55183300-1463774741_thumb.jpg

Sydney K class car (the one which Loftus didn't preserve) on what was once the start of the bridge across the main road onto the Sydney Harbour Bridge. Between 1932 and 1958 this took two tramlines  across the Bridge into two spare underground platforms at Wynyard , beneath the city centre.

Taken during the commemorations of the 50th opening of the Bridge, 1982

• Like 4

I reckon this hobby WILL outlive our generation. It will, no doubt change, but as with everything in life, time will tell.

I'm not so sure. I recently been asked just many of my new coach kits were bought by people younger than 60, and I had to rely, not many at all.

Not meant to be a criticism, but I suspect if you brought out kits of Class 175 DMUs (for example) instead of pre-grouping stock, the profile of customers would be slightly different.

I'm not so sure. I recently been asked just many of my new coach kits were bought by people younger than 60, and I had to rely, not many at all.

I am/ have brought your kits and I am 40, but then one younger one does not make an income.

Richard

If you're not in the "can't build", or "won't try and would rather moan" categories, then without eliminating all of the compromises in the Heljan O2 valve gear you can for only a little effort manipulate the motion bracket, slidebars, radius rod and lifting lever to get better relationship of positions, along with replacing a rather fallible rivet by means of a soldered pin and washer:

STA70371_zps7wbejzge.jpg

STA70372_zpsk2remryg.jpg

STA70375_zps6sgxb6xm.jpg

For all the stick it is being given, the Heljan O2 is vastly better than no O2 model at all, a badly built kit, or an unbuilt kit that remains forever in the "one day" drawer, which is all that many of the current complainers would have had but for the efforts of those who helped to bring this model about.

Edited by gr.king
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium
Sydney K class car (the one which Loftus didn't preserve) on what was once the start of the bridge across the main road onto the Sydney Harbour Bridge. Between 1932 and 1958 this took two tramlines  across the Bridge into two spare underground platforms at Wynyard , beneath the city centre.

Taken during the commemorations of the 50th opening of the Bridge, 1982

Great photo, thanks. The two disused platforms you mention are now part of the car park for the Menzies Hotel.

• Like 1