RMweb

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, robertcwp said:

If I recall correctly, the builder used to post regularly on RMWeb until a few years ago as 'Coachmann' but I have not seen or heard anything of him since. 

Also, if I recall correctly, he built the 9F that went from me to Tony - I had a Bachmann one from Tony.

"Coachmann" somehow upset the Mods. and was banished - he now frequents the Western Thunder Forum.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

49 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

I don't think he built the 9F, Robert, but he certainly painted it.

Geoff Haynes then weathered it for me. As far as I know, Larry never weathered anything. 

Regards,

Tony. 

I knew he was involved somewhere. The builder is a mystery then.

4 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Just to keep folk up to date regarding the Lawrence/Goddard carriages.....

Almost everyone has now sold (before I'd even advertised them individually - the benefit of having friends!). 

21 sold this morning to one friend and I'll know finally what's left in a week's time when another friend takes a further load of them. I'll then photograph what's left and put them up for sale individually.

The LNER van has now sold. 

A widow and bereaving family will receive a substantial amount, and CRUK will get a percentage.

I'm sorry if this situation disappoints some, but when I get offers to take so many in one go, I cannot refuse. 

It is disappointing for us mere mortals who are not in the 'friends' clique !   Why not offer to your friends before placing a post saying a list  will be put up soon ....   just a thought !

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

31 minutes ago, Bernard Lamb said:

A case of dammed if you do and dammed if you don't.

There will always be cases where people see photographs of models for sale and are too late in getting in an expression of interest at whatever point in the process the photographs appear.

I like to see images of the models even when I have no interest in buying them.

Tony is doing the bereaved widow a big favour and also ensuring that good models go to good homes. Not to forget that he is raising money for a good cause as a side line.

There was a case of a potential punter getting a bit upset when he missed out on a purchase. But the vast majority seem to be happy with how the process works.

I think it far better that Tony sets the rules. He puts in a good few hours doing this task for no personal gain other than the satisfaction of helping people.

Bernard 

Totally agree. Though I, probably like many others, have been disappointed after items that Tony puts on here, which I would have liked to buy, have been bought by his close contacts. we need to remember that the aim is to raise money for the bereaved & for Cancer Research UK. Also with so many items to sell, pack & post how much easier is it for Tony to sell 21 coaches in one go to one person rather than to 21 individuals?

William

• Like 1
  • Agree 8
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Clem said:

I think you are coming at this from the wrong end of the stick. What Tony does to help the bereaved pass on their loved one's treasured collections is commendable and I think he approaches it very much from their point of view. The fact that he has close contacts allows him to know a little better that these models are going to a good home and thus help give peace of mind to the relatives. Being at the end of a queue for such models is a small price to pay for that. Besides, using the word 'clique' does give the connotation of snobbishness and is a little offensive to throw around and plainly and simply wrong. The so called 'clique' is simply Tony's long standing friends and why shouldn't he put them in the know first if it expedites the sales.   I hope I'm not saying too much here, but it just seems only right that acts of kindness and generosity to help people should be seen for what they are.

Tony: Well done. Thinking of the the time you spend on this for no personal gain, what you do is terrific.

absolutely agree

• Like 1
  • Agree 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, t-b-g said:

As far as I am concerned, Tony W has given up large amounts of his time to help others and if "first call" on what comes through his hands for himself and his friends is the only benefit, then he has well and truly earned it. Conducting two rounds of the sale process, for friends then for everybody, would only mean more time taken for no difference other than reducing the disappointment of some folk not getting what they wanted. Which will always happen anyway.

I think the tasks that Tony undertakes in such things deserve nothing but support and commendation and it should be entirely to him how he chooses to go about it.

I agree. Having recently helped a family by disposing of around 1,000 items, I appreciate the size of the task. I had my own share (at the same prices I was asking of others) then offered things to friends first before advertising more widely. Only what was left after that went to a dealer.  The family received around £16,000 plus a bit more from someone else who sold working timetables etc. Tony kindly referred me to a dealer and helped with the disposal of the loco and carriage kits and some went to regulars on this forum.

Incidentally, there are several boxes of mostly brass and white metal carriage and wagon kits, sides and bits by the GC fiddleyard end of Retford (or at least that's where I left them). They were left over from the mass disposal and have gone to Sandra and anyone from the Retford crew and other visitors to Retford who wants things from the stack.  

Edited by robertcwp
Add a bit.
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

I don't think I would bother with the weld lines as they are very fine, unless you have very thin and narrow tape.

Look at some online photos, a lot of Mark 1 roofs are smooth.

And yes I do need to sand my Bachmann ones smooth.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Iain.d said:

A week or two back I showed my progress on a Comet Coaches BR Mk1 D23 Restaurant Unclassified, which is now ready for the paint shop.

A few photos include, the rolling chassis with coupling. The coupling swivels on the additional soldered nut and bolt.

The roof is removable. I solder substantial cross beams between the eaves with a hole drilled in them; this also helps provide significant strength to the body which reduces the likelihood of damage when being handled during the build. Makes it easier to paint with no roof too. There’s a 12BA bolt drilled through the roof to pass through the holes.

I can't see any sign of the bolts in your photos, Iain - are they just very well disguised among the other gubbins? It seems like an excellent idea because I've never enjoyed fitting the roof on with glue.

Al

• Agree 2

18 hours ago, robertcwp said:

I knew he was involved somewhere. The builder is a mystery then.

Good afternoon Robert,

The model in question has a hand-written provenance (written by Larry Goddard) of 'Alton Models' underneath the footplate. It's also signed 'L Goddard '95', which, I assume is its painting date. 

As mentioned, it was in plain, satin black, and Geoff Haynes weathered it for me. To produce.........

92037.jpg.b1adcdaf71f40bdc42cf49995ca30aa0.jpg

As delivered by Geoff.

266804684_DJH9F9203701.jpg.a9ad05f15440ee5c4b742abad1eb00df.jpg

And after I'd fitted the correct pattern, nine-spoked pony wheels and a front shackle.

It now runs beautifully, after my fitting pick-ups to all the driving wheels on one side. 

I also added details, such as the lubricator drives. 

And............

449091878_920371950sRetford.jpg.48b0b9af1f341de2a7e29f91f847b5ba.jpg

The real thing, at Reford on a Down goods. Could I be one of the bods sitting down to the left? The scene is certainly familiar, and I did see 92037................ At Retford! 

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
typo error
  • Like 15

36 minutes ago, MJI said:

I don't think I would bother with the weld lines as they are very fine, unless you have very thin and narrow tape.

Look at some online photos, a lot of Mark 1 roofs are smooth.

And yes I do need to sand my Bachmann ones smooth.

So do I. I only have about 200 to do, but it's some way down the priority list.

• Friendly/supportive 3

3 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

And............

The real thing, at Reford on a Down goods. Could I be one of the bods sitting down to the left? The scene is certainly familiar, and I did see 92037................ At Retford! 

Do you have a date for the photo, please?

I have often wondered if a photo of Retford will turn up with Roy Jackson in it.

4 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

The model in question has a hand-written provenance (written by Larry Goddard) of 'Alton Models' underneath the footplate. It's also signed 'L Goddard '95', which, I assume is its painting date. 

The GNR-cabbed K3 you photographed on Grantham at Doncaster has the same painter and provenance, Tony and a date of 2000.   I contacted Alton Model Centre to see whether they could tell me who built it, but was told they don't have records.

2 minutes ago, jwealleans said:

The GNR-cabbed K3 you photographed on Grantham at Doncaster has the same painter and provenance, Tony and a date of 2000.   I contacted Alton Model Centre to see whether they could tell me who built it, but was told they don't have records.

Thanks Jonathan,

When I next speak to Bob Treacher (of EAMES of Reading and Alton Model Centre fame, now retired), I'll ask him if he knows.

Regards,

Tony.  

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Barry Ten said:

I can't see any sign of the bolts in your photos, Iain - are they just very well disguised among the other gubbins? It seems like an excellent idea because I've never enjoyed fitting the roof on with glue.

Al

I was thinking the same. I've tried gluing nuts to the underside of MJT roofs but it just fails (yet domed LNER ends stay on fine) and I don't really fancy putting glue all the way round.

2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Good afternoon Robert,

As mentioned, it was in plain, satin black, and Geoff Haynes weathered it for me. To produce.........

92037.jpg.b1adcdaf71f40bdc42cf49995ca30aa0.jpg

As delivered by Geoff.

266804684_DJH9F9203701.jpg.a9ad05f15440ee5c4b742abad1eb00df.jpg

And after I'd fitted the correct pattern, nine-spoked pony wheels and a front shackle.

It now runs beautifully, after my fitting pick-ups to all the driving wheels on one side. 

I also added details, such as the lubricator drives. 

And............

Regards,

Tony. 

As a not particularly skilled or prolific modeller myself I hesitate to point out what I see as possible faults in such company.

I note that you've fitted correct pony wheels but, to my eye, a far more immediate concern would be the relationship between loco and tender.

The tender seems to stand too tall and too wide compared with the prototype image.

If, as I assume, (always risky) it's a DJH kit build I recall when I built mine that they provided a sort of 'floor' below the tender tank sitting on top of the frames. After much deliberation, head scratching and studying of prototype photos I altered the tank so that the bottom of it sat directly on the frames which seems to show on your photo at Retford. I did also attend to the incorrect tender top profile as well.

One other thing struck me about the DJH loco was the front of the smoke box relative to the smoke deflectors, as far as I could ascertain the bottom footplate section behind the buffer beam is a couple of mm short, although yours looks better in this respect. I'll admit I cheated and moved the smoke deflectors back to give a better relationship, not correct but then again there's the saying 'if it looks correct.......' 

I'll now continue my armchair modelling.....

• Like 1