RMweb

Wright writes.....

Guest Simon A.C. Martin

Very sorry to hear of your brother's passing Tony. Please accept our sincerest condolences. 

• RMweb Premium

Sad times Tony. I remember you telling me Martin was our local town clerk. Two brothers, a town clerk and a teacher, something to make your parents proud I feel.

As for upsetting folk, there are a lot in this world who deserve upsetting. More power to folk like you! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 6
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

His funeral was, in fact, a celebration of his life, with rock music being played among the eulogies, and, thankfully, no superstitions (I don't mean to offend anyone by my saying this, but it was definitely not his style - nor mine!). 

As it should be.

I attended a funeral last week that started with Paul Robeson and ended with Louis Armstrong. The chap was  over a 100 so they were quite topical for him. He was from a generation of farmers. The family drove the largest most modern tractor that I have ever seen down to the village. After the service the young kids had a great time climbing on it. A day out for all to remember.

Bernard

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Sorry to hear about your brother Tony, at these times I like to consider it as a change in state, and your brother will live on in the memories and hearts of all he touched.

• Like 1
  • Agree 6
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks once again for all the messages of condolence. They are appreciated, and it shows what a caring community RMweb is. 

Things are slowly 'getting back to normal', inasmuch as I've got guests visiting again. Today, it was Geoff Cook from Rugby (another ex-teacher). 

He brought with him some delightful GNR/pre-Grouping items; including...........

568767636_assortedwagons.thumb.jpg.f586ec214d59361d30485475b210c6b2.jpg

Some assorted scratch-built/kit-built wagons.

880027870_bogiebrickwagons.thumb.jpg.80b9dc05af866183cb2d7b2df89c5df4.jpg

Two scratch-built bogie brick wagons.

1925193212_CraftsmanC12andtrain02.thumb.jpg.482d73770bbbe18b3cbcc649c81ee089.jpg

A Craftsman C12 and scratch-built vehicles.

28980620_ECJStwelve-wheeler.thumb.jpg.d9f5359ddd98d8907d1fe8bba21f91e6.jpg

A scratch-built ECJS twelve-wheeler.

1041250635_Howldensix-wheeler.thumb.jpg.e74569eed64103eb7ba8cb7140ea9e1f.jpg

A scratch-built Howlden six-wheeler.

826106587_LittleEnginesN1andtrain.thumb.jpg.67d1c1b9b4caba6541b121cb24c17b3a.jpg

And a Little Engines N1 and further scratch-built stock. 

Thanks for bringing these, Geoff. How nice to see some excellent examples of personal, 'proper' modelling. 

Excellent modelling taste!

How did the eight wheeled sleeper wagon behave when run?

• RMweb Gold
On 20/06/2022 at 15:22, Barclay said:

Hear hear again - I couldn't agree more.

On the same theme here's my very first loco., a Triang-Hornby pannier, with a Comet Chassis and lots of new bits. At the end of the day I could buy better from Bachman (though not in EM to be fair!) but the level of satisfaction it provided would be zero. To be honest I didn't need a pannier tank particularly but I found that old loco. in a box and wanted to do something with it.

WP_20190922_13_28_34_Pro.thumb.jpg.cbb461ccf2aa9edf62dd240673d3dad5.jpg

Here's my on-going effort in the same direction, although still needing a lot of work:

pannier.thumb.jpg.86bcb0cdce8a8c63b8519cd7b912fd39.jpg

I've removed the top-feed and associated plumbing. The chassis is a Bachmann spare.

Apologies for the rubbish photo but my tripod is elsewhere.

Al

• Like 9

3 hours ago, gr.king said:

Excellent modelling taste!

How did the eight wheeled sleeper wagon behave when run?

Good afternoon Graeme,

Good question (since it's not a bogie vehicle). All I did was push it into position for the picture, but only on the straight! 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 22/06/2022 at 19:49, Tony Wright said:

Thanks once again for all the messages of condolence. They are appreciated, and it shows what a caring community RMweb is. 

Things are slowly 'getting back to normal', inasmuch as I've got guests visiting again. Today, it was Geoff Cook from Rugby (another ex-teacher). 

He brought with him some delightful GNR/pre-Grouping items; including...........

568767636_assortedwagons.thumb.jpg.f586ec214d59361d30485475b210c6b2.jpg

Hello Tony, may I add my condolences for your brother's loss? These things are never easy, hope the modelling is keeping your mind off things.

I wondered if you happened to have taken any more photos of that excellent looking pair of GN Sleeper wagons and if so, you might post them on here please? Or, to Geoff Cook, if you're reading this, would you perhaps add some photos? Reason being I intend modelling one but have had some difficulty finding photos.

Also, it looks on my conputer screen as if they're in GNR freight brown - is that what they are? I read that by LNER days, sleeper wagons were always grey, even though other Engineering / Departmental stock was Oxford blue. Did the GNR not use a separate Engineering / Departmental livery?

Thank you in advance, Chas

Edited by Chas Levin
  • Like 1