Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

Guest Simon A.C. Martin
1 hour ago, robertcwp said:

The kitchen car is a Diag 702 with B5 bogies. None carried Commonwealth bogies in BR service but those that survived long enough to gain blue/grey livery seem mostly to have had B5 bogies as replacements for their heavy-duty BR originals. Some did migrate to the Eastern mainly for use on specials although the Hook Continental had one for a time, I believe. For the FO, you need the Hornby model not the Bachmann one. Bachmann only did the Diag 71 FO (same body as the RFO) of which there were only three - all LMR. Hornby do the Diag 73, of which there were 128 spread across most regions.

Interesting - the FOs are the ones I haven’t bought yet. So I need two Hornby Blue/Grey FOs? 

How different do they look to the Bachmann Mk1s in profile? 

Is there a way to make the right diagram using Bachmann ones as a basis - maybe new sides? 

I know that ultimately they’re not going to be a perfect rake but I would like it to look authentic.

6 minutes ago, Simon A.C. Martin said:

Interesting - the FOs are the ones I haven’t bought yet. So I need two Hornby Blue/Grey FOs? 

How different do they look to the Bachmann Mk1s in profile? 

Is there a way to make the right diagram using Bachmann ones as a basis - maybe new sides? 

I know that ultimately they’re not going to be a perfect rake but I would like it to look authentic.

The shape matches pretty well but Hornby’s blue/grey is awful. Etched sides for a Diag 73 are in the Comet range I think. 

4 hours ago, Bernard Lamb said:

You were very lucky.

I might have led things well of the topic of model railways, but there have been a few in the hobby who have bitten off more than they could chew in terms of commercial ventures.

One of the first things someone starting to produce model railway things learns is being told:

"You are bound to sell at least a hundred of those"

is a companion to:

"the cheque's in the post"

and:

"Of course I will still respect you in the morning"

• Like 4
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 2

15 hours ago, Simon A.C. Martin said:

Thank you all for your help in identifying possible candidates for the RK coach.

This is one of my ongoing “build the full train” projects, intended to run on my Ganwick Curve layout when it’s in its new home and shed in the next year. 

The locomotive for the train is one of my usual second hand eBay purchases of a Railroad Flying Scotsman, which is in the process of being rebuilt to its 1968 spec by way of additional parts from Graeme King, the now defunct Eileen’s Emporium, spare parts I’ve picked up from shows, resin parts I made myself (smokebox door) and a 3D printed second tender from NIU models.

My intention is to have it painted by someone better than me, and weathered similarly! But I’m doing the bulk of the building.

I know this has an RTR basis, but hopefully it’s modelling enough that when its finished it will be thought of as more than just an RTR model.

99AFDFB4-7DA3-4F69-8CBF-22E3160B45B7.jpeg.57543909f374c81056274d46d11b6520.jpeg

EEAFDA4F-0CB9-42A5-AB09-5850B3F2B479.jpeg.9a4d8de4c71aa37374c39d44304ef804.jpeg

C05AAC9C-1599-442D-A5E4-9F29CBE7CCD3.jpeg.5d5bf5767b5f22db0b14a2b2bb9b60fd.jpeg

F4B3386B-A9A1-4E32-BB23-40D8F80F1807.jpeg.3c3dffe6dd45c434517512b06f897ac6.jpeg

E1D10655-8C85-44A8-93DE-95C9C2BCDAFA.jpeg.890556b5171468334bed7ee39651b284.jpeg

There’s still a lot to do, which I hope to sort when I have my Christmas holiday, starting next week.

Good morning Simon,

What you're doing definitely constitutes 'modelling' in my book. As Tony Gee has observed (at least in part), the mark of a good model is one where it's difficult to actually decide its origins. And, the late Iain Rice used to say he was building a model of a (insert the loco type here) using (insert the kit/RTR here) as a 'basis' for making it; not just merely making something entirely out of what was supplied, but 'exploiting' what there was, creating something unique. 

Your creation of FLYING SCOTSMAN's 1968 train is also 'modelling', showing diligent research and a desire to 'get things right'. 

My 'prejudice' against RTR isn't about its current general accuracy (which is incredible). It's about its 'exploitation' where nothing has been done to it by way of detailing/alteration of identity/etched 'plates/weathering/etc/etc. Yet, untouched items appear on layouts at shows, online and in the press. At one show, two (brand new) identical locomotives operated on a layout for the duration, their respective owners having bought them on the Saturday morning. The 'skill' they showed was in earning enough money to buy them (they certainly didn't steal them!), opening the boxes and putting them on the track. 

Why not lop of the ghastly front tension-lock coupling? Why not display lamps? Why not shorten the loco-to tender connection (I'm not talking about train set curves here? Why not add extra detail? Why not change numbers/names? Why not weather? And so on, and so on. Could it be that a large majority in the hobby are incapable of such 'radical' actions, either living with things as they come or commissioning others to do it for them? I'm not denying them those choices - that is their right and I have no right to deny them. It's just that don't expect me to show any great interest when I see such things at shows, in the press or online..............

I'm certainly interested in how your whole FS project develops.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 10
  • Agree 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

17 hours ago, Bernard Lamb said:

But would a supplier to "the finescale market" want to branch out to a wider customer base?

Given the moaning about parts falling off and parts being damaged  plus the general lack of willingness among a large proportion og the public to actually do anything, I can see a load of trouble and extra work coming down the road. Given the group that demands a specific livery and even a specific number and the sub group who will not take a model out of the box in case they reduce its sell on value, then I wonder just how large the potential market actually is. 

A case study. One day a Salesman sold 170% of his target for the period. He came into the head office for a meeting with the Sales Director thinking he would get a good bonus and even possibly promotion. When he saw that the Managing Director was also present he felt good. The MD went for him and told him he had cost the company a lott of money and that not only would he not get a bonus but was very lucky to keep his job. Material had to purchased, to satisfy his orders, at a premium rate, more staff had to be employed at overtime rates , and a great deal of re-organizing had to be carried out. Sometimes things are not as simple as they at first seem.

Bernard

I trust this apocryphal sales person told the MD where he could stick his job, took his commission and went somewhere with a rational appreciation of fixed asset maximisation and a competent procurement manager. When younger  I once spectaularly over-fulfilled my sales targets.  Don't remember too many glum faces among senior management.

Tony

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

Tony.

Is it because some (many?) modellers feel that modifications will ‘devalue’ their model and have an eye to a possible resale? Or that they don’t wish to step away from the mainstream?

I am slowly but surely improving my kit building skills but I don’t look gift horses in the mouth. I recently purchased a very well built white metal Wills J69. It had extra detail, Romford wheels and a Portescap motor. Total cost including postage? Less than £110. Virtually no one else made a bid. Another case of not wanting to move away from the mainstream? I thought it was a bargain. I guesstimated it would cost about £230+ just to buy the kit, wheels, motor etc. 

Edited by D-A-T
Spelling
  • Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

If they had just purchased them then it could be that the two people in question have since carried out modifications to their purchases. One can only hope that one of them has renumbered!

Sometimes people are too eager to run their new purchases when exhibiting. I've sometimes done this but only to make sure a new purchase works before taking it off the layout. Normally at the end of the day or before the show opens.

I agree that running two locos with the same number for the entire show is a little silly.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, LNERandBR said:

I agree that running two locos with the same number for the entire show is a little silly.

I am a country member of a club that runs two models of a unique loco, representing different periods in its life, on its layout, There is a clever but simple system to ensure that they are not both visible to viewers at the same time.

• Like 7
  • Agree 1

36 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

I am a country member of a club that runs two models of a unique loco, representing different periods in its life, on its layout, There is a clever but simple system to ensure that they are not both visible to viewers at the same time.

It is said that if you meet your future self when you're time travelling, you might have a severe existential crisis.  I'm sure its the same for our anthropomorphic locos.  Would frazzle their DCC chips.

David

• Like 2
  • Funny 4

2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Why not lop of the ghastly front tension-lock coupling? Why not display lamps? Why not shorten the loco-to tender connection (I'm not talking about train set curves here? Why not add extra detail? Why not change numbers/names? Why not weather? And so on, and so on. Could it be that a large majority in the hobby are incapable of such 'radical' actions, either living with things as they come or commissioning others to do it for them? I'm not denying them those choices - that is their right and I have no right to deny them. It's just that don't expect me to show any great interest when I see such things at shows, in the press or online..............

In the very short time I spent working "in the trade" my experience was that customers were indifferent to what their loco's hauled and excessively modification shy.  I was amazed at what little people were prepared to do ie fit a chip in a DCC ready loco or renumber rename. This is perhaps where the activity media DVD's showed those who wished how easy it was is make some straight forward modifications - internally or externally.

I suppose with the current cost of the RTR locos is a factor. It does mean that some customers would be hesitant to "muck up" a £200.00 plus loco. Preferring others to take the hit/risk on their behalf?

Edited by davidw
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, D-A-T said:

Tony.

Is it because some (many?) modellers feel that modifications will ‘devalue’ their model and have an eye to a possible resale? Or that they don’t wish to step away from the mainstream?

I am slowly but surely improving my kit building skills but I don’t look gift horses in the mouth. I recently purchased a very well built white metal Wills J69. It had a xtra detail, Romford wheels and a Portescap motor. Total cost including postage? Less than £110. Virtually no one else made a bid. Another case of not wanting to move away from the mainstream? I thought it was a bargain. I guesstimated it would cost about £230+ just to buy the kit, wheels, motor etc. 

Good morning,

You've certainly picked up a bargain with that J69. Well done!

I think many modellers are reluctant to alter their RTR items because they feel it'll 'devalue' them. I've never had that mindset (I recall being scolded by my mother one Boxing Day after I'd carved off the moulded-on handrails of a Tri-ang loco I'd been given for Christmas, bleeding profusely as well after the blade slipped! 'Do you know how much that cost? And, now it's not worth that any more!'). 

There is, of course, the risk of 'ruining' a good model by 'altering it'. Simon Kohler tells me of the tales of woe he's been told at shows, where someone brings along a model and it's smeared all over with superglue after the owners have attempted to fit the extra detailing bits on. 

At one swapmeet, a mate and I were astonished to find that his detailed/renumbered/renamed/weathered RTR diesels were not worth as much as totally-unaltered examples of the same things. 'You've taken the tension-lock couplings off (they'd been replaced with proper screw-links), so that's no good to me, and where's its original box?'. 'It wouldn't fit once the extra details had been added on' we explained. 'Nah, it's not collectable any more'.  I suppose that's the swapmeet mentality?

I understand why there is a great reluctance to potentially spoil a new RTR loco (many costing well in excess of £200.00 now), so I can also understand why those who feel they don't have the skills to 'improve' it, farm out the work to those who can. That's fine, but such individuals must never 'claim' it's their work, often by omission. The actual 'modellers' must always be credited, that's why I always acknowledge the work of others, even down to endless repetition (or so I've been told). 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 11
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning,

You've certainly picked up a bargain with that J69. Well done!

I think many modellers are reluctant to alter their RTR items because they feel it'll 'devalue' them. I've never had that mindset (I recall being scolded by my mother one Boxing Day after I'd carved off the moulded-on handrails of a Tri-ang loco I'd been given for Christmas, bleeding profusely as well after the blade slipped! 'Do you know how much that cost? And, now it's not worth that any more!'). 

There is, of course, the risk of 'ruining' a good model by 'altering it'. Simon Kohler tells me of the tales of woe he's been told at shows, where someone brings along a model and it's smeared all over with superglue after the owners have attempted to fit the extra detailing bits on. 

At one swapmeet, a mate and I were astonished to find that his detailed/renumbered/renamed/weathered RTR diesels were not worth as much as totally-unaltered examples of the same things. 'You've taken the tension-lock couplings off (they'd been replaced with proper screw-links), so that's no good to me, and where's its original box?'. 'It wouldn't fit once the extra details had been added on' we explained. 'Nah, it's not collectable any more'.  I suppose that's the swapmeet mentality?

I understand why there is a great reluctance to potentially spoil a new RTR loco (many costing well in excess of £200.00 now), so I can also understand why those who feel they don't have the skills to 'improve' it, farm out the work to those who can. That's fine, but such individuals must never 'claim' it's their work, often by omission. The actual 'modellers' must always be credited, that's why I always acknowledge the work of others, even down to endless repetition (or so I've been told). 

Regards,

Tony. 

Your comment about swap meets sums up the issue entirely. Extraordinary bargains can be had at such places.  

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Some RTR variations here, with a quartet of Westerns. 

P1140350.JPG.e609844dea0ae17427ceb10cd6128201.JPG

From left to right: Dapol, Heljan, Heljan, Lima. 

Of the four, the only one that hasn't had any work on it, besides weathering, is the Dapol one. And, to give due credit, that was weathered by Lord and Butler. I've still to attach the detailing parts, including the brake ties which are such a characteristic feature of these locos.

The other three have had a lot more done to them. Both Heljans have had their cab roofs reprofiled in the manner described by (I think) Chris Leigh in Model Rail. The roof-top ventilator is carefully sawn off, and then the brow sanded and filed down to something closer to the correct shape - on the original it's a bit too "peaky" but I only think it jars next to other models with a better profile. Once the shape has been achieved, the ventilator is re-attached, and then the damage covered up by patch painting and weathering. As it's the roof, you can get away with murder.

The brake rods are a pain to fit to these locos. Heljan included plastic parts but they won't work on anything less than virtually scale curves, such are the clearances. On the maroon loco, I used the brake shoes only, fitting them in closer to the wheel treads and then using brass wire to represent the rods. On the green loco, I made full use of the Heljan parts but only with much swearing and frustration until the loco could just squeak around the layout's tight spots. The Heljan plastic is springy and difficult to glue, so I used a soldering iron in places to coax it into shape and position.

The Lima is a case in point regarding the devaluation of RTR locos! Mine was less than a day old when I started weathering it, using ink from my dad's Rapido pen run into the grill detail. That was 43 years ago. It's since had the Brassmasters detailing kit applied, which involves major modification to the cab, as well as etched window surrounds. The loco also has Ultrascale wheels, new pickups, and a CD motor substituted for the Lima pancake. The rest of the transmission is still pure Lima, though, and it runs superbly well, with a nice low growl. Despite only having two driven axles with no traction tyres, it's quite a beefy hauler. The brake gear is all Brassmasters, but it's an easier fit this time since Lima added a bit more clearance around the front fairing.

I seem to remember a modern kit for a Western being mooted at one point but I don't think it ever emerged, so really RTR is the only way to go here.

Al

Edited by Barry Ten
typo
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5
  • Round of applause 1

I also had arguments with my parents about weathering when I was little. As mentioned they had the 'that'll devalue it' mindset.

I do think that this is another case of 'each to their own.' I tend to push my freinds at the club into letting me weather their models but some are very much against it. I still poke them when they are admiring some of my weathered stock. However, it's very much in their hands.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

....At one swapmeet, a mate and I were astonished to find that his detailed/renumbered/renamed/weathered RTR diesels were not worth as much as totally-unaltered examples of the same things. 'You've taken the tension-lock couplings off (they'd been replaced with proper screw-links), so that's no good to me, and where's its original box?'. 'It wouldn't fit once the extra details had been added on' we explained. 'Nah, it's not collectable any more'.  I suppose that's the swapmeet mentality?...

Regards,

Tony. 

Certainly the collector mentality, but long may it continue. 

I've picked up two mint TMC special edition (renamed/detailed) Hornby West Countries this year for significantly less than the list price of one new Winston Churchill or Braunton.

John

• Like 2

If you want to retain the value of a new Rtr  model, and particularly a limited edition, then don't alter it ,and keep the box. You won't have to look very far to see that even factory weathered locos usually go for less secondhand than do pristine ones.

I alter or weather or rename/renumber  because that is what attracts me to the hobby, in the knowledge that I'm reducing the value of the loco. At my age, and thinking of future disposal by kids with no interest in the hobby, if a locos' number fits my layout, I leave it well alone. The odd ex works amongst the grime is worth it in my world.

• Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Guest Simon A.C. Martin

Good morning Simon,

What you're doing definitely constitutes 'modelling' in my book. As Tony Gee has observed (at least in part), the mark of a good model is one where it's difficult to actually decide its origins. And, the late Iain Rice used to say he was building a model of a (insert the loco type here) using (insert the kit/RTR here) as a 'basis' for making it; not just merely making something entirely out of what was supplied, but 'exploiting' what there was, creating something unique. 

Your creation of FLYING SCOTSMAN's 1968 train is also 'modelling', showing diligent research and a desire to 'get things right'. 

My 'prejudice' against RTR isn't about its current general accuracy (which is incredible). It's about its 'exploitation' where nothing has been done to it by way of detailing/alteration of identity/etched 'plates/weathering/etc/etc. Yet, untouched items appear on layouts at shows, online and in the press. At one show, two (brand new) identical locomotives operated on a layout for the duration, their respective owners having bought them on the Saturday morning. The 'skill' they showed was in earning enough money to buy them (they certainly didn't steal them!), opening the boxes and putting them on the track. 

I'm certainly interested in how your whole FS project develops.

Regards,

Tony. 

Thank you Tony, appreciate your comments. Given the 100th anniversary of the loco next year, I wanted to do something different to mark it in some way. I haven't seen the whole 1968 train modelled before by anyone - someone may have done it before?

I really wanted it to be "modelled" and by using the Railroad model as a basis, I can make major modifications (such as to the corridor tender) that I wouldn't do on a higher end model (e.g. squaring off the tender end sheet above the corridor connector). The second tender was a natural build using the 3D print. 

The train it pulls I am in two minds on. I am already painting at least one vehicle, I might paint them all to match...however finding the Hornby MK1 FO in blue online is proving quite difficult. There only appears to have been one produced thus far, as R4778.

Overall it's a challenge but quite fun to do, and it feels like modelling, as you say.

• RMweb Premium

Swapmeet mentality or just common sense?

A RTR model that's been reworked may run like a dream, or a bag of spanners depending on who's done the work.

It may look perfect but be unable to traverse anything but scale curves and log-turn outs.

At least with an unmodified model there's slightly less likelihood that's something wrong with it.

Surely no different to buying a kit built loco without knowing its provenance?

Steven B.

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

44 minutes ago, rowanj said:

If you want to retain the value of a new Rtr  model, and particularly a limited edition, then don't alter it ,and keep the box. You won't have to look very far to see that even factory weathered locos usually go for less secondhand than do pristine ones.

I alter or weather or rename/renumber  because that is what attracts me to the hobby, in the knowledge that I'm reducing the value of the loco. At my age, and thinking of future disposal by kids with no interest in the hobby, if a locos' number fits my layout, I leave it well alone. The odd ex works amongst the grime is worth it in my world.

I'm not surprised to be honest. I've seen very few factory weathered models that look convincing and they often end up in the bargain bins.

I bought the limited edition Hornby Magazine B17 recently and the weathering is awful. It's just the bottom half that has got a coat of brown grime whilst the top of the boiler is spotlessly clean!

I think I paid about £70 for it so there are still bargains around. Pity they've all gone now as I might have bought another one. Mine will eventually become 61664 Liverpool. But I do think it needs at least a partial repaint, particularly the green bits as it's the bland Hornby rendition of BR Green.

R3163_3137704_Qty1_1.jpg

Photo borrowed from Hattons.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/104343/hornby_r3163_class_b17_4_6_0_manchester_united_61662_in_br_green_weathered_special_edition/stockdetail

Jason

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

43 minutes ago, Steven B said:

Swapmeet mentality or just common sense?

A RTR model that's been reworked may run like a dream, or a bag of spanners depending on who's done the work.

It may look perfect but be unable to traverse anything but scale curves and log-turn outs.

At least with an unmodified model there's slightly less likelihood that's something wrong with it.

Surely no different to buying a kit built loco without knowing its provenance?

Steven B.

Good afternoon Steven,

I wonder if it's common sense to never take an RTR item out of its box in case it devalues it by opening the packaging? Some Bachmann models came with their boxes wrapped in tissue paper. According to some collectors, remove this and the model inside is worth less! Barmy? 

When I was full time at Warners, part of my role was 'in-house photographer'; which meant taking photographs for all the other magazines, including Die-Cast Collector. Have you ever tried taking a picture of a model through a highly-reflective plastic 'blister'?  On more than one occasion, I had no way of knowing exactly what was inside a box; it could have been damaged for all I know, but the owner wouldn't breach the packaging. 

I think that's the swapmeet mentality to me. 

Regards,

To me. 

• Agree 9

I beilve all this another example of how diverse our hobby is. 

There will be people who are very happy with their pristine RTR A3 flying around an 8 by 4 board with some Virgin Mk3 coaches behind the tender.

Meanwhile, those who enjoy this thread will take their RTR A3 out the box and begin modifications. Those will be different depending on who is doing it. However I expect it would at least include weathering, real coal, crew and appropriate lamps  😉

Edited by LNERandBR
  • Like 2
  • Agree 4