Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

On 29/12/2022 at 06:48, Tony Wright said:

Bob Dawson also built Woolmer Green's signal box for Jesse Sim (a gift from me).

1314434720_WoolmerGreensignalbox01.jpg.fe527ede78be3c20a58cc55af9f5d8e8.jpg

589306758_WoolmerGreensignalbox02.jpg.6a94f9c975e5c772456f2dfe495d43ca.jpg

In return Jesse..........

1879245618_JesseSimPlatewagon01.jpg.691540b105730b1ce46a637a5c1d2f8e.jpg

Built this beautiful Plate wagon for me. Thanks again Jesse.

Jesse is getting quite well-known (with justification), though if anyone would have suggested that five years ago, I'd have become best mates with an Australian with long hair, covered in tattoos, body piercings and 50 years my junior, I'd have dismissed it as nonsense. Yet I am, and (believe it or not) I'm all the better for it! 

Last year, I started building a DJH Raven A2. Which Jesse decided he'd like.

However, I'd already sold him one from the estate of a deceased modeller. No matter, he'd send it back to me, and, with a little money-juggling, he'd have the one I'd made and I'd re-sell the other one. 

The problem was...........

1413828889_damagedRavenA201.jpg.8a13e69c8662d5b4473437910ab7503c.jpg

It rather 'exploded' in the post coming over from Australia, though it wasn't wrapped as if it were a football! Luckily, the Aussie Postal Service accepted responsibility and paid up in full. They didn't want the model back, so.............

887609332_damagedRavenA206.jpg.76b9dc18e2b06f058014d526b2f9263e.jpg

I repaired and patch-repainted it as well as I could, and then sold it.

Paving the way for Jesse to buy the one I made.

1518264250_DJHRavenA230.jpg.102637e1e4ba32a88119aab5dcbe16ce.jpg

Which Geoff Haynes painted.

More on Geoff's year's modelling tomorrow................ 

No, thankyou Tony, the signal box is situated in the centre of the layout so I think getting Bob Dawson to build it was a no brainer! 

I’m glad I chose to model LNER, the BR numbers nearly sent me mad! I don’t think I’ll be able to do another BR wagon now that I’ve quit smoking (coming on 40 days now smoke free). 

I could say the same about being friends with a 70-odd year old grumpy git! Worth it though, forget the modelling, look how far my grammar has come along….. 

I don’t think I’ve ever stressed as much between finding out the A2 arrived damaged and Auspost accepting responsibility and paying out. 2401 is now put her through paces on Woolmer Green hauling a parcels train! Considering she’s at the end of her life I really want to weather her but I’m hesitant….

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

11 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Simple answer is when it came to the electrics some were seen as Scottish locomotives even though they were officially shedded at Willesden.

Earlier numbered Class 87s were Cities and old locomotives (mostly Britannias). Royal Sovereign is the odd one out as I can only think of the LNER B2, unless there was an early locomotive with the same name.

The later ones were mostly named after Scottish locomotives, often with a connection to Sir Walter Scott. There were exceptions such as William Shakespeare being 87034.

It was always a bit of a "cop" to see a Scottish named Class 87 as they were normally on the Euston to Glasgow trains. I think I saw all of the WCML electric locomotives which were still in existence post 1981 and I wasn't even that much of a spotter.

Jason

Full list of Class 87 names and other engines that carried them here.

Edited by robertcwp
Typo.
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 28/12/2022 at 22:57, 65179 said:

MRJ 58 , 149 and 195 at least. I remember thinking it was an amazing piece of work at the time.

Simon

Thanks, of those I only have 58 but will look out for the others. North Shields was certainly an impressive piece of modelling. I suspect that at the MRJ show it was almost impossible to get near it without waiting ages. I recall that I could only visit the show for a short time, possibly after work, but the reasons are lost in the mists of time. 

Does anyone know what became of the layout?

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

964539434_DJHBritannia09.jpg.c499252757372b9d606ff445f6735c43.jpg

1621387966_DJHBritannia10.jpg.df7a349fbefd3241cfd0ac16e92491e8.jpg

And a DJH Britannia, also with Geoff for painting.

I wonder how a full-size loco would look in this form?  For April 1st a restoration group whose loco is awaiting overhaul should paint it silver-grey and "brass" colours.  The back story would involve the group raising funds by using it as a prototype for a white-metal and brass kit.

RMWebbers may recall how in 1985, the Severn Valley temporarily repainted (this was long before Photoshop!) one side of City of Truro in BR black livery.  For those of us who hadn't had a sense-of-humour by-pass, the outpouring of froth and bile from those who had, was hilarious.

• Like 4
  • Agree 6
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, robertcwp said:

Thanks, of those I only have 58 but will look out for the others. North Shields was certainly an impressive piece of modelling. I suspect that at the MRJ show it was almost impossible to get near it without waiting ages. I recall that I could only visit the show for a short time, possibly after work, but the reasons are lost in the mists of time. 

Colour photos of North Shields on the Penbits website with a blue thing Tony likes:

https://www.penbits.co.uk/Content/Gallery.html

A couple of seasonal views here too:

http://eastmoor.blogspot.com/2009/12/mrj-195-chris-pendlenton-issue.html?m=1

Simon

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, robertcwp said:

It is very much alive and well and still a work in progress as Chris Pendlenton has extended it somewhat since it last appeared in MRJ.

Edited by johndon
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, robertcwp said:

I believe still extant and now lives up north with its owner/builder. It, like Hursley, were anticipated to be one show only outings, North Shields did a Newcastle area show subsequently, but Hursley only did the MRJ show and was then sold. Neither layout was built with portability in mind for exhibiting as I recall hence the three appearances.

I went to the MRJ show  and was glad I made the effort and took time to queue for Hursley. Highlights for me were being able to see the best of contemporary multi scale modelling, and a good selection of earlier inspiration from my fathers era like Charford. That overall multi scale exhibition baton has been carried on in particular by Railex at Aylesbury, when possible always on my annual show visiting list.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 29/12/2022 at 08:48, Tony Wright said:

Graeme King is a great innovator....................

944437739_A2260503A2360512GraemeKingBachmannconversions.jpg.78c7231a248c11d442321c378d8e853a.jpg

Producing his resin adaptations for Bachmann A2s to produce both A2/2 and A2/3 Classes.

214537132_A2260503.jpg.b3827272dec653761f4877dbbb194fe3.jpg

I wonder if he shortened the central footplate section on his A2/2 conversion. 

Of course, Hornby's recent RTR A2/2 doesn't cater for the locos as originally rebuilt with their shortened P2 boilers (has anyone attempted a conversion, I wonder?).

Regards,

Tony. 

I like easy questions:  I had no need to shorten the central running plate to move the rear S-curve for my A2/2 because the body is an extensive conversion of a Hornby A3 body of the tender-drive generation, its rear S-curve in 4mm scale indistinguishable from the P2 & early A2/2 version with correct relationship to the firebox lower front. Splashers had to go of course, as did the cab and a wedge of firebox to make way for an A4 type cab.

I don't yet know of anybody who has done the job based on the recent Hornby later A2/2, but I did supply somebody with the necessary parts  a while ago and I live in hope of hearing / seeing what progress he has made. I believe his plan was to use only the Hornby A2/2 chassis, and an A3 body as I did.

Edited by gr.king
added info
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

35 minutes ago, 65179 said:

Colour photos of North Shields on the Penbits website with a blue thing Tony likes:

https://www.penbits.co.uk/Content/Gallery.html

A couple of seasonal views here too:

http://eastmoor.blogspot.com/2009/12/mrj-195-chris-pendlenton-issue.html?m=1

Simon

Thanks.

I like the EMU formation in the background of this image. I have never seen a photo of the real thing but it represents the formation with a baggage car at each end and converted hauled stock in the middle which was, I believe, used for those making trips to the seaside. The baggage cars were handy for prams etc as well as luggage.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, robertcwp said:

Full list of Class 87 names and other engines that carried them here.

I had seen that, but was a bit hesitant on using it as there is quite a few missing.

Some of the NBR locomotives that the A1s inherited their names from. The GWR Scott batch of Saints and totally ignores at least two very famous Broad Gauge locomotives in Iron Duke and Lord Of The Isles. ISTR some of the LNWR locomotives also used names from Sir Walter Scott. Patriot was originally a Claughton.

Also the GCR Sir Sam Fay B2s which had City names (London, Liverpool and Manchester)

No Wandering Willie though.....

Jason

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gr.king said:

I like easy questions:  I had no need to shorten the central running plate to move the rear S-curve for my A2/2 because the body is an extensive conversion of a Hornby A3 body of the tender-drive generation - rear S-curve in 4mm scale indistinguishable from the P2 & early A2/2 version with correct relationship to the firebox lower front. Splashers had to go of course, as did the cab and a wedge of firebox to make way for an A4 type cab.

I don't yet know of anybody who has done the job based on the recent Hornby later A2/2, but I did supply somebody with the necessary parts  a while ago and I live in hope of hearing / seeing what progress he has made. I believe his plan was to use only the Hornby A2/2 chassis, and an A3 body as I did.

Tanks Graeme,

You probably explained all about your LORD PRESIDENT conversion when you brought it over, several years ago now. However, my memory...........

That central running plate/'S'-curve arrangement is a distinctive difference between the original A2/2s and those later equipped with Thompson or Peppercorn boilers. The latter locos have part of the firebox visible beneath the valance ahead of the 'S'-curve (as apparent on the A2s and A1s). 

I've yet to see anyone make a LORD PRESIDENT or MONS MEG from the Hornby A2/2 (or any of them as first rebuilt). 

Regards,

Tony. 

On 29/12/2022 at 11:25, Tony Wright said:

Nice models (as always) Mick,

I assume the A2/2s are Bachmann A2/King conversions? If so, did you not alter the central footplate section, moving the 'S' in the valance slightly further forward for the originals? On the original A2/2 rebuilds, the central horizontal footplate section was a foot shorter than  on those latterly fitted with a Thompson or Peppercorn boiler. 

Regards,

Tony.  

Edited by micklner
  • Like 4

Guest Simon A.C. Martin

Re the firebox handrail on mine - I think it is a hangover from when I was toying with making it no.2003 Lord President, and as a result it may be wrong for no.2006 in that period. I will put that firmly in the "I'll get around to it" pile.

I was recently gifted a damaged Hornby A2/2 Thane of Fife bodyshell (just loco, no chassis or tender). I have a spare Bachmann A2 chassis and many parts from my Graeme King builds left over including a spare A4 tender. I may yet decide to build another A2/2 - it'll have the cab swapped out for an A4 type and that may lead to a production of Thane of Fife as built. Can I be bothered with the running plate change? Maybe, it's on my list of things to look at next year...!

Edited by Simon A.C. Martin

32 minutes ago, geoff west said:

D31CA6E4-EDBE-4873-BB92-000B7BBD0C8C.png.daa7efe1339784853c3c2e29ecce2bcc.pngWay off topic but, thought sir might find it amusing. 
I must be owed thousands. 

Thanks Geoff,

I assume it's a spoof? 

If not, any surviving teacher who taught me will be liable. 

And I'd better emigrate! 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1