Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, cctransuk said:

Tony,

Just a thought - if these coaches are sold out, and there is not going to be a future supply of them, would not a BRM article be rather pointless / frustrating from the readers' perspective?

Along the lines of "Take a Jamieson kit for  a ........."?

CJI.

Good point - thought the same with the great article about using the Geoff King (I think - apologies if I've got that wrong) resin V2 body to create a better than was then available 00 model. Where does a person get the aforementioned body from? 

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Good point - thought the same with the great article about using the Geoff King (I think - apologies if I've got that wrong) resin V2 body to create a better than was then available 00 model. Where does a person get the aforementioned body from? 

The V2 body was produced by Mike Trice @MikeTrice

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jwealleans said:

Only one that I can see and that's from a seller who is notorious for overpricing:

jamieson_ebay.jpg.6c1a6be08991005afbc9ef6eca02c717.jpg

They do come up fairly frequently, though.

Edit - he (and I) misspelled it.   Searching with the correct spelling brought up two coach kits, three loco kits and a built V2  and Nelson, both for repair.  Three or four catalogues as well if anyone's interested.

Thanks Jonathan,

Good to see you at the weekend, by the way.

Regarding the Jamieson streamlined 'Coronation' kit, when EAMES closed down, Bob Treacher told me that dozens of Hornby-Dublo DUCHESS OF MONTROSE bodies and tenders were found on dusty shelves, their chassis sold to go underneath the Jamieson bodies. EAMES offered a re-wheeling/two-railing service for those chassis. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
to add something
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, micklner said:

They are "close" to some NER diagrams.

Thanks Mick, I accept that.  I always forget about the NER vehicles, probably because I'm usually thinking in the post-grouping context (inevitably if we're discussing here the "LNER" versions of the fantasy-model coaches) and my impression is that the NER had wholly (or almost wholly) eliminated its fleet of in-service passenger carrying six wheelers before 1923.  Perhaps somebody might enlighten us on any survivors still in revenue service post-grouping?

• Like 2

16 hours ago, sandra said:

We decided to model a northbound iron ore train from High Dyke to Frodingham and therefore I’ve been busy loading real iron ore into iron ore tipplers so I haven’t had much time for kit building. Geoff Kent very kindly provided real iron ore but I don’t think I’ve got enough. Does anyone know from where I can obtain real iron ore?

I have several chunks of what I believe to be High Dyke limestone/ironstone which I used to produce loads for my own 1930s App-Frod train. Unless anybody beats me to it, I'm happy to pass on a chunk to you, if and when a convenient opportunity arises, either if I'm in that part of Lincs or if we are at the same show some time. As I'm in Grimsby it shouldn't be impossible to find an opportunity.

• Like 1

Hi Tony,

Many thanks for patiently answering my queries.  The series of photos above is amazingly helpful to see how you've put the chassis together.  In terms of how you've joined the body to the frames, what is the bit you've glued(?) to the underside of the cab?  I assume that you've then measured and cut the screw so it doesn't protrude into the loco's cab?

David

image.png.63a703605fc9a45f6b4639314e72faf9.png

• Like 1

I regret that the resin V2 body I used to produce is no longer available. The prospect (and the very eventual reality) of a more-nearly correct Bachmann body persuaded me that once demand for the resin item dwindled from initially encouraging levels, and the original mould ceased to be useable, that it would not be a good use of my time and money to renew the mould.

I did renew the mould for the cab / firebox section for the A4 to W1 conversion, barely a fortnight before Hornby announced their RTR W1 and extinguished any prospect of further demand for that.  They also announced the A2/2 and A2/3 models at about the same time, rendering most of my provision for conversions to produce those locos obsolete, and for good measure announced new versions of the P2 too, eliminating an alternative use for the same etched valve gear and rendering my P2 "nose" moulds almost redundant.

To be honest though, I had been starting to find the production of most of those parts somewhat boringly repetitive.

• Friendly/supportive 18

2 minutes ago, gr.king said:

I regret that the resin V2 body I used to produce is no longer available. The prospect (and the very eventual reality) of a more-nearly correct Bachmann body persuaded me that once demand for the resin item dwindled from initially encouraging levels, and the original mould ceased to be useable, that it would not be a good use of my time and money to renew the mould.

I did renew the mould for the cab / firebox section for the A4 to W1 conversion, barely a fortnight before Hornby announced their RTR W1 and extinguished any prospect of further demand for that.  They also announced the A2/2 and A2/3 models at about the same time, rendering most of my provision for conversions to produce those locos obsolete, and for good measure announced new versions of the P2 too, eliminating an alternative use for the same etched valve gear and rendering my P2 "nose" moulds almost redundant.

To be honest though, I had been starting to find the production of most of those parts somewhat boringly repetitive.

All the examples I have are excellent . Comparing them with r.t.r they were all a bargain, using secondhand  Hornby/Bachmann Locos as bases, which kept the costs down as well.

• Agree 2

50 minutes ago, Clearwater said:

Hi Tony,

Many thanks for patiently answering my queries.  The series of photos above is amazingly helpful to see how you've put the chassis together.  In terms of how you've joined the body to the frames, what is the bit you've glued(?) to the underside of the cab?  I assume that you've then measured and cut the screw so it doesn't protrude into the loco's cab?

David

image.png.63a703605fc9a45f6b4639314e72faf9.png

It's a fibre washer of about 1mm thickness. It sits between the rear frame spacer and the bottom of the cab floor, giving the correct ride height. It's always easier to raise a body than to lower it. 

The securing 8BA screw stops level with the top of the cab floor, rendering it invisible with everything painted and a crew added.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

A painting and lining project

First of all guys. I've just bought this GWR Dean Goods reasonably cheap on EBay.

image.png.169293a86d54ec216f87925bdd4f94bd.png

Kit built, but without any information. Does anyone know the kit manufacturer?

It does not run, yet, but the primary reason for purchase is for practicing painting and lining. I will be going on the Painting and Lining Course at Missenden run by Ian Rathbone in March and this seems a likely project - if I can get a handle on the method.

I would like to strip the paint and get to something like this below

image.png.e77f9d5838f01e6c88cd824f10bfd7a0.png

A tall order, and clearly there will be inaccuracies (including the tender design), but the lining is what I would like to have a go at.

I could do with a bit of advice re the stripping of the paint from the white metal. Hopefully it has been soldered and not glued?

Any advice from this 'great knowledge pool' would be welcome.

Dave

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 3

22 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

It was!

I was going to say ‘hello’ but a modeller  on a rummage shouldn’t be disturbed. I’ve seen enough wildlife programmes, you don’t disturb a predator when it’s  stalking its prey! 

Edited by Erichill16
Stay word removed
  • Like 1
  • Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

37 minutes ago, zr2498 said:

A painting and lining project

First of all guys. I've just bought this GWR Dean Goods reasonably cheap on EBay.

image.png.169293a86d54ec216f87925bdd4f94bd.png

Kit built, but without any information. Does anyone know the kit manufacturer?

It does not run, yet, but the primary reason for purchase is for practicing painting and lining. I will be going on the Painting and Lining Course at Missenden run by Ian Rathbone in March and this seems a likely project - if I can get a handle on the method.

I would like to strip the paint and get to something like this below

image.png.e77f9d5838f01e6c88cd824f10bfd7a0.png

A tall order, and clearly there will be inaccuracies (including the tender design), but the lining is what I would like to have a go at.

I could do with a bit of advice re the stripping of the paint from the white metal. Hopefully it has been soldered and not glued?

Any advice from this 'great knowledge pool' would be welcome.

Dave

It doesn’t really matter what you use to strip it, the key thing is not to soak it. Brush on a stripping gel, watch the paint bubble then wipe it off. The gel, or whatever stripping agent you use, can remain in place where there are no joints, eg. tender sides or boiler, for much longer if necessary. It’s not a pleasant job and can take some time but make sure every last bit of stripper is removed from nooks and crannies. Frequent scrubbing with neat washing up liquid will remove the stripper.

I use a half inch paint brush for the job.

I have recently stripped the first loco I built, a K’s Bulldog (1977), and repainted it. It was glued together all those years ago but is still intact.

B392422F-5F4E-437F-84D0-9D3D6ABCBC0E.jpeg.7261accdc9efd93cf8828ac915cb014e.jpeg

Your Dean Goods looks like a K’s kit. Look forward to meeting you at Missenden.

Ian R

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, t-b-g said:

The M&GN was a fascinating railway and it would be good to see it represented on Little Bytham by some more authentic models, even if they don't match the rest of the railway in period. 

The M&GN (in fact, the GE area as a whole) is modelled much less than the ex-GN routes, although availability of a greater variety of ex-LNER types has really helped sway things in the last 20-30 years.  Until Hornby produced their (now very basic looking) B17 in the 1980s, there was almost nothing available to represent GE prototypes.

A little while ago it was debated on here if the ECML is the most represented of the big main lines, in model form.  It got me thinking about which is the most and least modelled areas of each of the BR regions (Most ns Least below):

Western: Devon Main Line & branches vs Thames Valley

Southern: Cornish branches vs Central Division suburban

London Midland: WCML in Cumbria vs. Cumbrian Coast

Eastern/North Eastern: ECML vs. Northumbrian branches*

Scottish: Far North branch termini vs. Glasgow suburban

*Ian Futers may be responsible for over 90% of those ever built.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, Ian Rathbone said:

Another GCR Class 8 (LNER B5). Built by Steve Duckworth, P4 gauge.

8BCADD4C-CB7C-494B-B8E2-C4B348A08620.jpeg.0d3a0e7481db39478e000a2595f564e7.jpeg

Ian R

Simply stunning! Do you know the origin of the loco? It looks too nice to be the Millholme kit, so I am guessing one of the "Great Central Models" etched kits by John Bateson or a scratchbuild.

• Like 1

From the sublime (Ian Rathbone's latest posts) to the ridiculous.........

Yes, I've done a bit more on those Genesis carriages........

2101173915_HornbyGenesiscarriages03.jpg.92d1f45040bab802e339af77849abf89.jpg

A completely nonsensical juxtaposition because the (modified Hornby D16/3) carries its 1946 number (I'm building a more-appropriate D2). Yet, I like the idea of antique carriages living out their final days on a bucolic backwater.

601371635_HornbyGenesiscarriages05.jpg.506571600fe7ac6a190b906ad3b5f8b0.jpg

Some weathering and a lick of satin varnish makes them look (in my view) far less 'plasticky'. 

• Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

6 hours ago, gr.king said:

Thanks Mick, I accept that.  I always forget about the NER vehicles, probably because I'm usually thinking in the post-grouping context (inevitably if we're discussing here the "LNER" versions of the fantasy-model coaches) and my impression is that the NER had wholly (or almost wholly) eliminated its fleet of in-service passenger carrying six wheelers before 1923.  Perhaps somebody might enlighten us on any survivors still in revenue service post-grouping?

There were 9 daigarm 15 third class 6 wheelers 32' and 4 34'342 withdrawn in 1930. There was 1 diagram 68 first 32' withdrawn the same year. With the exception of several first and 3rd saloons these were the last NER 6 wheelers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

22 hours ago, ScRSG said:

On the subject of A4 tenders, please see the attached spreadsheet, compiled from a number of sources - while I believe it is accurate, any corrections would be welcomed!

A4 TENDERS.xls 12.5 kB · 25 downloads

Chas

Thanks for this but, unfortunately, my computer tells me the file is suspicious due to a virus or potentially unwanted software!

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, Paul Cram said:

There were 9 daigarm 15 third class 6 wheelers 32' and 4 34'342 withdrawn in 1930. There was 1 diagram 68 first 32' withdrawn the same year. With the exception of several first and 3rd saloons these were the last NER 6 wheelers.

I recall having a conversation with Malcolm Crawley many years ago, so my memory might be faulty, about some of the surviving NER 6 wheelers being retained for use as trailer cars with steam rail motors.

GNR 6 wheelers survived longer and Malcolm could recall travelling from Doncaster to Leeds in them in the late 1940s, around the time of nationalisation.

Edited by t-b-g
To add content
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, Northmoor said:

Western: Devon Main Line & branches vs Thames Valley

Southern: Cornish branches vs Central Division suburban

London Midland: WCML in Cumbria vs. Cumbrian Coast

Eastern/North Eastern: ECML vs. Northumbrian branches*

Scottish: Far North branch termini vs. Glasgow suburban

An interesting list. For London Midland, I would suggest that Settle & Carlisle layouts would exceed WCML layouts as most modelled? 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

56 minutes ago, robertcwp said:

Thanks for this but, unfortunately, my computer tells me the file is suspicious due to a virus or potentially unwanted software!

Really sorry, Robert, can't think why this should be, so try this print -

846587233_A4TendersScan.jpg.270011a29096407304ded4b3cafad2f7.jpg

• Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Paul Cram said:

Thanks Paul - were those the only ones surviving in service in any of the years after 1922?