Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

I dreamt that I finished making a couple of kits in time for the York MRX ...

PXL_20230306_233301613.jpg.2c651740ba642ff7ec6e7dcfddac22ee.jpg

Hey - perhaps I didn't dream it afterall!

(more info on HofN thread)

Hope to see them at York.

Good luck with getting them done. Obviously no pressure!

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, DougN said:

Great to see every one is keeping Tony alive and kicking... well flogging the students. I am slightly worried about Andy R 's comment above... next year when I make it back to the UK I look to darken the door of a Mr Wright...!!  (I am a rather tall individual!)    I do wonder if us ANZAC's are slowly taking over... There is a large number from this part of the world that are making a bit of a trip over to see him! Funny thing is alot of us, Jesse, Myself, Woodcock... all model LNER! 

Any how great to see your all having fun. Tony will be saying things to Jesse about his tattoos and long hair... then move onto modelling... I suspect he will make endless jokes about P4 when I see him next 🤣

Good evening Doug,

Move on to modelling?

Indeed, Jesse has been filing away like mad with a view to completing a part-scratch-built C9 (I've helped him a bit). It was given to me some time ago (as part of a deceased modeller's collection), and, as I thought I'll never finish it myself, I've given it to him (I've never seen a model of one before). How refreshing to see someone actually having a go at building something himself; and, even better, someone who's not an ancient old f@rt!

Pictures over the next few days, because he's off on a layout photo-shoot with me tomorrow. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

I've just woken up at 4am having had a nightmare based on a maths exam that went badly 45 years ago and lay there feeling het up and thoroughly hacked off. I then stumbled on this page and suddenly the world seems a better place.

Marvellous.

The other morning I woke up from one of oddest (and funniest) dreams I've had in years.  Wife and I went round to visit a very wealthy relative (who I referred to Uncle XXX who really exists) and had tea in his motorhome, parked on his drive.

Except it wasn't his motorhome on his drive, it was a Learjet.  

My real Uncle doesn't own either a motorhome or a Learjet.

Also, the Learjet's owner didn't look a bit like my real Uncle but exactly like Ian Botham.

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

Also, the Learjet's owner didn't look a bit like my real Uncle but exactly like Ian Botham.

Are we talking 1981 Both, or sat with his feet in a bowl of revitive medic?

• Funny 3

10 hours ago, Northmoor said:

The other morning I woke up from one of oddest (and funniest) dreams I've had in years.  Wife and I went round to visit a very wealthy relative (who I referred to Uncle XXX who really exists) and had tea in his motorhome, parked on his drive.

One might suggest that taking more water with it would be prudent... 😜

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Northmoor said:

Maybe it's time to go easy on those mushrooms...... 😀

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, john new said:

Me too, not exact but similar. Recurring dream that I am about to miss the hand-in date for my BA dissertation.  (The course is long finished and I graduated) Any dream experts on here understand why these arise?

I'm not an expert but as I understand it, dreams are somewhere where generalised or accumulated feelings of anxiety find an outlet and one way the brain has to exercise - or exorcise - them is to replay episodes from our memories that produced anxiety at the time they occurred.

For many of us, important exams may have been the last time we reached such heightened levels of anxiety, partly because we felt there was so much riding on the outcomes, partly because we were young and had little experience of coping with stress and partly because - if we'e lucky - we haven't had to deal with anything as stressful again.

If the above is largely true, then I'd suggest dreams like these are simply a healthy outlet for the natural anxieties of life and the fact that we have to trawl so far back to find stressful events to dream about would suggest that things have gone quite well in our lives since...

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Re: Dreams

For a long time, I had a 'standard' recurring dream that I was back at University and had to re-sit my final exams having not done any revision for many years.

This dream used to occur once or twice a year. Now that I am (just) over 71 that dream seems to have subsided but I have been dreaming of various events and emotions that occurred a bit later in my 20s and 30s. Since these are 'waking dreams' they can upset me for most of a day.  I agree with Mr Levin's post above in relation to stress. Recent times have been and are a bit worrying for me.

More work on my railway is required!

• Friendly/supportive 12

24 minutes ago, lezz01 said:

My dreams can sometimes be......well let's just say that I have PTSD and sometimes my dreams relive those events and leave it at that because all the dreams you guys have recounted here lets just say I envy you.

Regards Lez.

Yes, I'm sure there are vastly worse nightmares than those about exam stress, teaching careers, un-built garages and so on. 

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, drmditch said:

Re: Dreams

For a long time, I had a 'standard' recurring dream that I was back at University and had to re-sit my final exams having not done any revision for many years.

This dream used to occur once or twice a year. Now that I am (just) over 71 that dream seems to have subsided but I have been dreaming of various events and emotions that occurred a bit later in my 20s and 30s. Since these are 'waking dreams' they can upset me for most of a day.  I agree with Mr Levin's post above in relation to stress. Recent times have been and are a bit worrying for me.

More work on my railway is required!

I have a weird one where I go and get another job, go back to further education, but don't tell current employers and just try juggling.

Then wake up, phew!

• Friendly/supportive 5

I dream of a 100ft x 40ft shed for my O gauge North American layout (presently 22' x 12') together with a few hundred yards of flex track, 2 tons of Warrington soft red sandstone, 400' of 3" x 2", dozens of 8" x 4" boards, etc etc - I have enough trains though.

I model the Rockies in 1:48 - I need space!!!!!!!!!!

I never dream of my 40 odd years on the "Gas Board" - being called out at all hours in the freezing rain to the most grotty parts of Warrington, Widnes, Runcorn and St Helens sorting out the many various "problems", sometimes all night, 7 days a week, one week in six for many years. Back then when I finally did get a bit of sleep the dream was of pay day !!!!!!!

It was pleasant work though sometimes on a balmy summers evening.

Still, what I have model wise is quite OK, always something to do, my latest "addition" is interesting, something I've never seen done before, not sure if it will work out so I will leave it at that for now.

Happy modelling all.

Brit15

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Remember this?

992443732_scratch-builtC901.jpg.03d175c23d3934e88342b99d3b791284.jpg

From the estate of a deceased modeller, a scratch-built C9. 

Which is becoming Jesse's 'holiday project'.

It's nice to see someone else's hard work not being binned after their death - well done to whoever saved it and realised it had potential.

• Like 6
  • Agree 10

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Remember this?

992443732_scratch-builtC901.jpg.03d175c23d3934e88342b99d3b791284.jpg

From the estate of a deceased modeller, a scratch-built C9. 

Which is becoming Jesse's 'holiday project'.

1351984128_scratch-builtC902.jpg.d5da3ff0b3c11217aa3c80a393de07c4.jpg

The aim (with a wee bit of help) is for him to have it running and substantially-finished by the time he returns home (notwithstanding some cleaning up to do!). 

More progress tomorrow. 

I will look forward to how you do the cylinders. Michael Edge is all being well doing me cab, valence and splasher etchings to do 727 near the end of its life. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 14/03/2023 at 21:21, Tony Wright said:

Good evening Doug,

Move on to modelling?

Indeed, Jesse has been filing away like mad with a view to completing a part-scratch-built C9 (I've helped him a bit). It was given to me some time ago (as part of a deceased modeller's collection), and, as I thought I'll never finish it myself, I've given it to him (I've never seen a model of one before). How refreshing to see someone actually having a go at building something himself; and, even better, someone who's not an ancient old f@rt!

Pictures over the next few days, because he's off on a layout photo-shoot with me tomorrow. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Hello Tony,

We ran a model of No 727 that Malcolm scratchbuilt on "Thompson's End". I am not sure if it went in front of your camera, or even if it had been built when you took the photos for the article in BRM. If it did, it failed to make the final selection used in the magazine. 

Regards

Tony

• Like 1

5 hours ago, t-b-g said:

We ran a model of No 727 that Malcolm scratchbuilt on "Thompson's End".

I recall seeing that and chatting to Malcolm about it.   Did you bring it to somewhere like Darlington?   It was a fairly small show and yours was the outstanding layout there, but I don't recall where it was now.

I have never seen another model of either of the C9s.

7 hours ago, t-b-g said:

Hello Tony,

We ran a model of No 727 that Malcolm scratchbuilt on "Thompson's End". I am not sure if it went in front of your camera, or even if it had been built when you took the photos for the article in BRM. If it did, it failed to make the final selection used in the magazine. 

Regards

Tony

Good morning Tony,

I don't remember the C9 on 'Thompson's End', but then I don't remember the year in which I came over to Malcolm's house in Doncaster to photograph it. I know most (if not all) of the pictures were shot on film, so it's unlikely to have been much later than the turn of the century. I'm sure if it had been present, I'd have photographed it; it's such an unusual locomotive. 

Regards,

Tony.

11 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

Thanks for allowing me to tag along Tony, it was awesome seeing a master at work. 

F19DE2B7-6A5F-4142-BDA6-0BE4DF445DB9.jpeg.a7e9d34632b171db4621f1e5fb4d20ae.jpeg

A very professional facial expression! 

2C9167B5-5C27-4585-93FA-7B86EC104E4D.jpeg.58729d341753dc075a1d12d85b265019.jpeg

I thought I had seen something similar on the weekend at Harrogate…………

@jwealleans

C495513D-0B9F-4379-8606-3344487BC2C8.jpeg.0e3dad54d03b39893a9004cf76d03a6c.jpeg

I think (in my case) 'farcical' might be a better description of my face!

Seriously, thanks for your help.

Here is the picture I was taking..............

1234326254_Olney02A.jpg.6c9de98d3ecc3bf4180079fc1cc55270.jpg

As we left the pub, I was told that 'work' on the rolling stock was a priority.

• Like 11

image.png.de6c05a88145eb1b433e96d582bd593c.png

Another user of Peco track and inlay. Very underestimated in my opinion, it looks good, the foam underlay when spray painted (I use aerosols) stiffens it up nicely, and the wonderful thing is it can be (if pinned like mine & not glued) lifted quite easily and reused. Easy track alterations.

I think the superb "Grantham" layout uses this technique. I have had no problems with my painted foam over 20 years or so since laying in the loft.

DSCF1011.JPG.8ea925b0e99cbacc5985468ebc233eeb.JPG

Brit15

Edited by APOLLO
typo
  • Like 11