Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

Without wanting to dwell on the subject , here are 2 photos of my old trainspotting days in the early to middle 60s and recently.  For information it is Clay Cross South Jct. Lines to the left go down the Erewash Valley ( Toton, Nottingham and Trent ) lines to the right go to Derby. They are not my photos and therefore I do not know who has the copyrights, if necessary please delete

197842669_10225321939224824_4833528417951305657_n.jpg

235879032_10225675084213228_6512991753284566758_n.jpg

• Like 13
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

9 minutes ago, cb900f said:

Without wanting to dwell on the subject , here are 2 photos of my old trainspotting days in the early to middle 60s and recently.  For information it is Clay Cross South Jct. Lines to the left go down the Erewash Valley ( Toton, Nottingham and Trent ) lines to the right go to Derby. They are not my photos and therefore I do not know who has the copyrights, if necessary please delete

197842669_10225321939224824_4833528417951305657_n.jpg

235879032_10225675084213228_6512991753284566758_n.jpg

Thanks for posting these images. 

The up-to-date image is typical of just about anywhere on the rail network today; that of it being almost unrecognisable from scenes in steam days. Not only has the railway been rationalised to the point of 'complete economy' (?), but Mother Nature has taken back what was removed from her all those years ago.

Not only that, if one goes back, say, 60 years prior to your first picture, apart from some infrastructure detail changes and the locos/rolling stock, the overall railway scene would have been much the same. What will the 'today' scene look like in another half-century? 

Could it be any less-interesting?

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

Not an old model but I built two of these Comet Thompson's a couple of years agoIMG_20201223_133307229.jpg.7f73fbab0feceef0ede3a4ddd86a3307.jpgIMG_20201223_133211440_optimized.jpg.5cc669c5dc72ed643aa0dee288164fa7.jpg

The bogies are Bachmann. The rest is Comet. They build into lovely vehicles. I was very happy with the results. The couplings have now gone.

What surprise me is that prototype pictures tend to  shown them as strengtheners in crack expresses by 1960. As the mk1 standard coaches were deployed very quickly. Thompsons in this period seemed to get all over other regions and of course ECML secondary  expresses. 

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

I had an hour or so to kill at one of my old trainspotter haunts a few years ago. Stainforth and Hatfield. It was never a really smart sort of place but in the 70s it had things like buildings, a signal box, a lovely waiting room with a fire in the grate, semaphores and yards on both sides of the line that were still shunted by goods and coal trains.

Now it has a bus shelter, high security fencing and a camera overlooking the scene instead of a signalman and the station staff.

I mentioned it before on RM Web on a thread about modelling the modern scene and was "shouted down" by people telling me how wrong I am to regard the present day railways as anything other than interesting and well worth modelling.

So there are some folk out there who genuinely believe that the modern railway scene is a good subject to model.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 9

7 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

I had an hour or so to kill at one of my old trainspotter haunts a few years ago. Stainforth and Hatfield. It was never a really smart sort of place but in the 70s it had things like buildings, a signal box, a lovely waiting room with a fire in the grate, semaphores and yards on both sides of the line that were still shunted by goods and coal trains.

Now it has a bus shelter, high security fencing and a camera overlooking the scene instead of a signalman and the station staff.

I mentioned it before on RM Web on a thread about modelling the modern scene and was "shouted down" by people telling me how wrong I am to regard the present day railways as anything other than interesting and well worth modelling.

So there are some folk out there who genuinely believe that the modern railway scene is a good subject to model.

Good evening Tony,

I wonder if those who model 'more-interesting' times on our railways are ever accused of 'shouting down' those who model the current scene? 

To those who never really saw loco-hauled passenger trains (and I'm not talking just steam), complex trackwork locations, semaphore signalling and loads of historic railway buildings, the current scene might appeal. 

And, in fairness, all the London termini (with the exception of Euston) are far more-welcoming than in the days when I first visited them. Welcoming, until one takes a train out, to be confronted with everything overgrown and any vertical surfaces daubed with the puerile 'art' of the anti-social brigade. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

And, in fairness, all the London termini (with the exception of Euston) are far more-welcoming than in the days when I first visited them. Welcoming, until one takes a train out, to be confronted with everything overgrown and any vertical surfaces daubed with the puerile 'art' of the anti-social brigade. 

Good evening Tony.

As a five year old the walk from Broad Street to the Southend line platforms at Liverpool Street was always an adventure. My young mind would have  a great time imagining what terrors were lurking around the next dark corner. As for the puerile daubs. A few months ago my son in law introduced me to '10FOOT'. I wish that I could unsee it as I now come across it in all sorts of places.

Bernard

For those lucky souls who are unaware search for '10FOOT' at your peril.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Good evening David,

Thanks for showing us your Thompson cars (I imagine you've brought them to LB in the past).

One thing the RTR manufacturers have missed (in my view) with regard to Thompson stock is the non-provision of catering cars.

With the poor riding characteristics of the early Mk.1, the catering core of many ECML expresses of the day was formed of Thompson catering stock. 

ECMLtrain06.jpg.783aa658eece60ef2c0bce84e0af852e.jpg

As seen here with a PV RSO and a Full Kitchen Car, both Thompsons. 

ECMLtrain14.jpg.341ca397805550411fdc90e2d9ee72ee.jpg

Or a Gresley Pantry Second and a Thompson RF.

ECMLtrain18.jpg.78662979b0114dbc0de93322938d6850.jpg

Or a non-PV Thompson SO and a full Kitchen Car; the rest of the rake being Mk.1s.

ECMLtrain16.jpg.19aa22fe443d2bec2573e3d1d8c8b312.jpg

Three Thompsons here, including an RFO.

ECMLtrain22mixedprincipalexpress-boards.jpg.05a7cb3774d0b4d835f8d4504b25ba28.jpg

Even as late as 1962, Thompson cars could still make-up a fair bit of a principal express.

ECMLtrain24extra.jpg.95e8687eba156572ab4903b91a73e670.jpg

Though they were often used in summer Saturday extras; as here, again in 1962. 

Please (all) respect copyright restrictions on the above images.

Regards,

Tony. 

Thanks for the photos Tony. I don't think I did bring them to LB. I brought some old tooling  resided versions an SK and RF. Ages ago I think I brought a kitchen car. The Thompsons as vehicles are very distinctive.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

It depends what you want to model.  The railway is probably more colourful now than it's ever been, with the constantly-changing variety of liveries of rolling stock.  Our current railway system is, despite its problems, a better travelling experience for the vast majority of people than it was in our youth (whenever that was).  But I'm not sure there's much to interest me in modelling it.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

It depends what you want to model.  The railway is probably more colourful now than it's ever been, with the constantly-changing variety of liveries of rolling stock.  Our current railway system is, despite its problems, a better travelling experience for the vast majority of people than it was in our youth (whenever that was).  But I'm not sure there's much to interest me in modelling it.

I think i way have enjoyed the high spot of passenger experience with the early days of HST

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Could it be any less-interesting?

Yes, if the railway were to disappear altogether.

8 hours ago, t-b-g said:

Stainforth and Hatfield. It was never a really smart sort of place

True!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Yes, if the railway were to disappear altogether.

But not if the tracks were lifted, and the formation then used as a footpath/cycle path. 

Perhaps not so interesting to die-hard railway enthusiasts, but of great interest to those who subsequently use it for leisure.

The abandoned branch from Oxley to Wombourne and beyond used to run no more than 100 yards from one of our homes in Wolverhampton (we didn't have lots of homes, just four different ones in the place over the years). It had closed years before, but it was an ideal (and safe) route for me to accompany my two young (at the time) sons as we cycled from Tettenhall to Wombourne. To those interested in botany (not me) or ornithology (me), it was a marvellous environment, especially where it ran adjacent to the canal. Had the railway still been extant, it would have been inaccessible.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Northmoor said:

Though, for many living in rural areas, the implementation of Dr Beeching's ideas meant the railway ceased to be any kind of viable travelling experience.

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Agree 4

Indeed - what price the Great Central London Extension now?  (And yes, I know it wasn’t quite “Continental” loading gauge, but it’d still have been a lot cheaper to adapt than HS2 to build …).

That said, however, the Local Authority with whom I had my second career decided around the mid-2000s - after much criticism from OFSTED and the Department of Education over retaining too many “surplus” places in the face of a long-declining local birth-rate that was predicted to decline still further - to close a number of half-empty schools, many of which were in such a poor state of repair they were no longer fit for purpose and would cost vast sums to modernise. The schools were closed, the land sold-off or re-purposed … and a few years later in the early 2010s there was a sudden influx of immigrants from Eastern Europe (the ‘Polish Plumbers’ and ‘Bulgarian Butchers’ everyone started to get so excited about).  The local birth-rate rocketed and all of a sudden there was predicted a shortage of school places, and (still) no money to build new ones or extend. 

My point is, you can only take the best decisions you can on the best data available at the time. Sometimes that comes back to bite you on the bum, but it doesn’t mean the decision was wrong at the time it had to be taken. 

Edited by Willie Whizz
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Agreed @Willie Whizz; fortunately it is slowly becoming better understood that (1) Beeching's report only proposed speeding up a process that had been going on since the beginning of Nationalisation (and to some extent, before that), and (2) despite the enthusiasm for blaming the Doctor, it was politicians that signed off every one of those closures.

• Like 3
  • Agree 5

8 hours ago, polybear said:

The big huge mistake was selling off the land, as this has prevented any chance of re-opening lines or returning freight yards to use in the future.

We all seem to move forward with our eyes firmly fixed on the rear-view mirror. 

Edited by billbedford
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
On 24/06/2023 at 12:32, BrushVeteran said:

Grahame at Rosemont Road aged 2 watching trains.jpg

May I say that must be one of the sweetest photos of a young train enthusiast I've ever seen - so evocative of the era!

Speaking of which, when was that era, if you don't mind telling? I'm guessing mid 1950s?

• Like 1
  • Agree 4