Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Wright writes.....

2 hours ago, micklner said:

My Thompson PV Flying Scotsman small set , the first design with Square Windows., later builds had rounded corners due to corrosion problems . Using Southern Pride etched sides on converted old type Bachmann Thompsons.

IMG_6049.jpeg.65e336cbda49d49cd5da0764c5abdca7.jpeg

IMG_6052.jpeg.c9911955af8400ec1daced615654b8f4.jpeg

IMG_6050.jpeg.59585733cb5370db3f6c051e9abbc69a.jpeg

IMG_6048.jpeg.d4852cdda18360a60caa4a89d3688f64.jpeg

IMG_6045.jpeg.63b32fd592f779408ae37adc3faf8bf0.jpeg

IMG_6044.jpeg.0bc8dfc3048e55843bde6eb3d4eaa9a0.jpeg

Thanks for posting these Mick,

I think the images show how 'dumpy' the carriages can look without the black line at solebar level and no horizontal lining. 

Speaking of solebar level, the branding 'Restaurant Car' on the RTO seems very low. 

ThompsonRTO.jpg.00b4c29644a23cd8a1ab0b1edcbc2f7c.jpgThough subjective, I admit, I think these car look much sleeker with the lower black band and horizontal lining, illustrated on this RTO (RSO by my period).

This, of course, is nothing more than a 'layout coach'. Built by the same methods and materials you've employed. 

I assume you fitted heavy-duty bogies? I can't tell from your pictures.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 6

32 minutes ago, BrushVeteran said:

You are correct Chas, I recon about 1954 because we moved to Oxford in 1955. The location is Rosemont Road London NW3 and it was in the back yard of our maisonette in No.1 Rosemont House. The view is just by Finchley Road Midland signal box looking over towards Finchley Road Bakerloo/Met and GC lines and the train has emerged from Haverstock Hill tunnels heading north on the St.Pancras ex. Midland lines. The picture of 'Peak' 70 is more or less the same location bur the train is heading south.

Yes I realise now after all these years that they are probably quite evocative pictures but at least I am able to offer an excuse as to why I got into Railways............blame the parents!

Thanks for your interest.......................I rescued these photo's from being thrown away before my mother became a victim of dementia!............I'm so glad I saved them, here are another couple including one of our champion mouser 'Charlie' who always followed me around at the time. 

Sorry Tony for going off topic on your thread.........but you do like cats!

Grahame at Rosemont Road aged 4 watching trains.jpg

Grahame's first cat 'Charlie' at Rosemont Road in 1953.jpg

Good evening Grahame,

Never apologise for posting such evocative images. 

Though I don't think any similar pictures exist of me as a youngster (well, not taken by my relatives, anyway), I can relate to the loss of photographs because of my mother (though your negatives, luckily, were saved). When I went away to teacher training college in 1967, she must have thought I'd grown up, so cleared out my room; including a shoe box full of my negatives! Admittedly, some weren't brilliant, but it would be nice to still be able to see BRITANNIA batting through Kiveton Park on the boat train, DIBATAG on a stopper at the same place, SIR RALPH WEDGWOOD racing past Botany Bay (blurred, but still recognisable), JELLICOE on the same line as the Royal Scot in the picture at Chester posted by Sandra and CORONATION beside Platform 4 on the 10.05 am Crewe-Holyhead. All of those gone, though some others did survive (she must have thought one shoe box contained shoes!). Which you scanned for me; for which, my most grateful thanks.

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
to add something
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

4 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Good afternoon David,

Looking back through my photo collection, you didn't bring them (in any of your six visits, so far; and you're, as ever, most-welcome again). 

Thompsoncarriages.jpg.6fea37c6ea7a98cbe8735da2a550be31.jpg

As you so well remember, this is the pair you brought.

60033.jpg.6398434918263c7bd722e91ca9bba2bb.jpg

I think your Kitchen Car (among others) is in this rake, hauled by one of your A4s.

I think the Thompson cars are among the most-handsome of passenger rolling stock, particularly the PV ones (with covered solebars), especially in BR lined maroon (in ersatz teak, they look dumpy, but the black strip at the bottom of the body on the BR-liveried ones really lifts them). 

The story is well known that near-30 years ago, I approached Comet (the original four members) to see if they'd be interested in producing the distinctive PV Thompsons (their already having the standard Thompsons in the range). The types which made-up the post-War 'Flying Scotsman', 'Capitals Limited' and 'The Elizabethan'. 'No interest!'.

However, luckily I'd got to know Dave Lewis of Southern Pride, and between us all the necessary types were made as etched sides to make-up a 1958 'Elizabethan', the intention being to use the original Bachmann Thompsons as donors. The donors would have their roof profile altered and would have replacement HD bogies. I formed all the original etched sides before Dave invested in a press.

Thus, Stoke Summit got 'The Elizabethan'......................

60027onUpElizabethan04.jpg.f7b4a3ad030db1d3dcca292fbd637029.jpg

And it continues to run on LB. Types such as the trio of BGs, the trio of FKs with ladies' retiring room (the other side in this shot), the FKs and the trio of RSOs had never been available before; neither had the PV SKs.

60027onUpElizabethan06.jpg.a29bd680cbffb602651057833bce1094.jpg

I wrote-up how I produced the whole train in BRM at the time. 

The vital alteration to the original roof profile is apparent in this shot.

Such was the great success of the range (no interest?).............

ThompsonKitchenCar.jpg.fa3adad6aa54611fd4124226e26ae720.jpg

That Dave was also able to introduce the other types (not in the non-stop by 1958), including a full Kitchen Car. I think this is my favourite). Other sorts (such as the Pantry Second; just visible to the left) were also made available.

Regards,

Tony. 

Thanks for the visit offer. Perhaps sometime over the summer... I do have a "Lizzie", like yours derived from older tooled vehicles. 

Though I've not been able to resist the new Bachmann maroon versions.

• Like 1

Just now, davidw said:

Thanks for the visit offer. Perhaps sometime over the summer... I do have a "Lizzie", like yours derived from older tooled vehicles. 

Though I've not been able to resist the new Bachmann maroon versions.

Let's fix a time up David,

I think it's been mentioned before, but I wonder how many 'Lizzies' were made from the Southern Pride sides and Bachmann donors (or, just the sides and Comet or MJT components)?

Regards,

Tony. 

20 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks for posting these Mick,

I think the images show how 'dumpy' the carriages can look without the black line at solebar level and no horizontal lining. 

Speaking of solebar level, the branding 'Restaurant Car' on the RTO seems very low. 

ThompsonRTO.jpg.00b4c29644a23cd8a1ab0b1edcbc2f7c.jpgThough subjective, I admit, I think these car look much sleeker with the lower black band and horizontal lining, illustrated on this RTO (RSO by my period).

This, of course, is nothing more than a 'layout coach'. Built by the same methods and materials you've employed. 

I assume you fitted heavy-duty bogies? I can't tell from your pictures.

Regards,

Tony. 

They were built about ten years ago. They are still on the original  Bachmann Bogies, they are very heavy compared to the original Bachmann Coaches . More than enough weight for my poor r.t.r A4's to pull !!

Yes the Restaurant Car lettering is a bit low , not helped by the very oversize HMRS decals. Fox have now produced the correct size decals, which I have just used on a GNR Isinglass Models  12 wheeler Restaurant Car , photos soon on my thread when finished. The Thompson may get a repaint at some time in the future using them as well.

The Coaches dont look dumpy to me,  they are Streamlined 1940's style. They are following on from the Silver Jubilee and Coronation LNER 1930's versions !!.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Let's fix a time up David,

I think it's been mentioned before, but I wonder how many 'Lizzies' were made from the Southern Pride sides and Bachmann donors (or, just the sides and Comet or MJT components)?

Regards,

Tony. 

One here!

Elizabethan.jpeg.d968139857365437fbb480e39fb1a4b9.jpeg

I also did several catering cars and even a 3 cpt brake 3rd. All built onto old Bachmann donors. Such a cost effective and easy way of making some necessary and interesting coaches.

Andy

• Like 18

On 25/06/2023 at 07:56, Tony Wright said:

But not if the tracks were lifted, and the formation then used as a footpath/cycle path. 

Perhaps not so interesting to die-hard railway enthusiasts, but of great interest to those who subsequently use it for leisure.

The abandoned branch from Oxley to Wombourne and beyond used to run no more than 100 yards from one of our homes in Wolverhampton (we didn't have lots of homes, just four different ones in the place over the years). It had closed years before, but it was an ideal (and safe) route for me to accompany my two young (at the time) sons as we cycled from Tettenhall to Wombourne. To those interested in botany (not me) or ornithology (me), it was a marvellous environment, especially where it ran adjacent to the canal. Had the railway still been extant, it would have been inaccessible.

Regards,

Tony. 

Agreed, Tony. The Avoch (pronounced 'Och') to Fortrose track bed is another. Excellent for several kinds of wild fruit in the summer.

Lloyd

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Another splendid day operating Little Bytham with the usual monthly quartet of friends.

All was going fine, until I had the stupidity to comment ''Isn't it going well?". Whereupon, I forgot to set a road correctly, and 'The Elizabethan' promptly scattered some hapless wagons asunder as it ploughed into their brake van! No harm done, however. Anyway, I'm not too precious about my trainset, the wagons were re-railed and the 'Lizzie' sent along the right path. 

Then, an A4 derailed at speed on 'The Talisman'! A derailment on LB!!!! It was a modified Hornby one and I suspected it was too narrow back-to-backs which might be the cause. I've adjusted them, and now it's fine. 

I've said it before, but one of the principal delights in having friends visiting LB is what they bring with them. Today was no exception........

SoAMJR4-4-0.jpg.a8ef30f0650f2ec296df3aa48ce0bbc8.jpg

First up was this SoA&MJR 4-4-0, bought second-hand by Sandra Orpen. It came from Hattons, and didn't run all that well. No doubt she'll re-gauge it to EM and change the drive. In fairness, it wasn't that expensive.

Geoff West brought some really interesting items along..........

DJHA16012101.jpg.2eb3c2181dc3b72604e4f72a46eecbaf.jpg

A DJH A1 appeared first. Geoff Haynes has weathered this.

A160121.jpg.a8c6a7e6b08de9768c41b4c499da6d7e.jpg

It came originally from the estate of a deceased modeller in this condition, and I sold it to Geoff (W). 

DJHA16012102.jpg.c22a2dbf60d02d743f400a501fb1b7a5.jpg

It certainly runs well, toying with this heavy train.

It made an interesting comparison with my own SILURIAN.....elevatedview60121.jpg.fe2cab94d239835919eadaa7c9772b83.jpg

60121.jpg.30d271c7341c5f84a498ba357fe4a115.jpg

Built by me, also from a DJH kit and painted by Geoff Haynes. 

Apart from the difference in finish, it's a pity that the builder of the 'dirty' 60121 didn't alter the cab to give the rake-in towards the eaves. 

I'm sure Geoff will add those essential wiggly pipes as well. 

Next up.................

HornbyA46003301.jpg.4ea5b772d11eee7a109b3d2a101465cf.jpg

Was this modified Hornby A4, again weathered by Geoff Haynes.

Geoff (W) had acquired this in a somewhat tatty state, tidied it up and renumbered/renamed it.

HornbyA46003302.jpg.0c5e9c2597d6921daab26243ea15143b.jpg

It handled the ten-car 'Queen of Scots' with ease (visiting locos are not required to display lamps).

HornbyA46003303.jpg.426de281fae283ebb46ba3ce2e1cc6e5.jpg

The greatest modification Geoff did was to cut-down the rear of the tender (an alteration made to three of these 1928 corridor tenders in order that the short water cranes at Euston could reach the filler during the Locomotive Exchanges of 1948. They ran behind MALLARD, SEAGULL and LORD FARINGDON, MALLARD's eventually going to WOODCOCK. FLYING SCOTSMAN, as first preserved got two of these as well!). 

Now, Landscapes (David) has been selling off locos from his aborted Haymarket Depot layout, and Geoff West bought some.............

BachmannA160161.jpg.ed68625e6b4df321bbf5fc2d4af874f3.jpg

Including this renumbered/renamed/weathered Bachmann A1.

BachmannA260529.jpg.d4c92d36d33b4ac8c8fd77c54a7506b1.jpg

BachmannA260537.jpg.b38d22acc9e4a18edc7d76d9f6439e71.jpg

And this pair of altered Bachmann A2s.

BachmannGraemeKingA2360521.jpg.c9d06a86debe8027095fd67970732c1b.jpg

And also this Bachmann/Graeme King A2/3. 

The problem with all of these is that, when confronted with Bytham's heavy expresses, they just polished the rails! This is the main reason why I build my own locos. 

That said, they're all beautifully-observed and the weathering is entirely natural. Yes, some renumbering/renaming will take place to make them more appropriate for an English-based layout, and, no doubt, extra ballast will be added. 

You might well have seen the above on David's own Haymarket thread in the past. I think they're lovely.

Thanks to Geoff, Sandra, George and David for another wonderful day! 

Tony,

If I may be so bold, I suspect that the GWR 4-4-0 is in fact an ex Midland & South West Junction locomotive and not an ex Stratford on Avon & Midland Junction locomotive.

Regards,

Davey

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Davey said:

If I may be so bold, I suspect that

You are too circumspect. Your first nine words are redundant. The SMJ never had anything bigger than a 2-4-0 or 0-6-0 and passed to the LMS at grouping. Sandra's engine is one of the nine 4-4-0s purchased by the M&SWJR in the decade before the Great War; the M&SWJR, despite its name, had the misfortune to fall into the maw of the GWR at grouping, with the ugly consequences you saw.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Another splendid day operating Little Bytham with the usual monthly quartet of friends.

All was going fine, until I had the stupidity to comment ''Isn't it going well?". Whereupon, I forgot to set a road correctly, and 'The Elizabethan' promptly scattered some hapless wagons asunder as it ploughed into their brake van! No harm done, however. Anyway, I'm not too precious about my trainset, the wagons were re-railed and the 'Lizzie' sent along the right path. 

Then, an A4 derailed at speed on 'The Talisman'! A derailment on LB!!!! It was a modified Hornby one and I suspected it was too narrow back-to-backs which might be the cause. I've adjusted them, and now it's fine. 

I've said it before, but one of the principal delights in having friends visiting LB is what they bring with them. Today was no exception........

First up was this SoA&MJR 4-4-0, bought second-hand by Sandra Orpen. It came from Hattons, and didn't run all that well. No doubt she'll re-gauge it to EM and change the drive. In fairness, it wasn't that expensive.

It came originally from the estate of a deceased modeller in this condition, and I sold it to Geoff (W). 

It made an interesting comparison with my own SILURIAN.....elevatedview60121.jpg.fe2cab94d239835919eadaa7c9772b83.jpg

Apart from the difference in finish, it's a pity that the builder of the 'dirty' 60121 didn't alter the cab to give the rake-in towards the eaves. 

Next up.................

Geoff (W) had acquired this in a somewhat tatty state, tidied it up and renumbered/renamed it.

It handled the ten-car 'Queen of Scots' with ease (visiting locos are not required to display lamps).

The greatest modification Geoff did was to cut-down the rear of the tender (an alteration made to three of these 1928 corridor tenders in order that the short water cranes at Euston could reach the filler during the Locomotive Exchanges of 1948. They ran behind MALLARD, SEAGULL and LORD FARINGDON, MALLARD's eventually going to WOODCOCK. FLYING SCOTSMAN, as first preserved got two of these as well!). 

Now, Landscapes (David) has been selling off locos from his aborted Haymarket Depot layout, and Geoff West bought some.............

The problem with all of these is that, when confronted with Bytham's heavy expresses, they just polished the rails! This is the main reason why I build my own locos. 

That said, they're all beautifully-observed and the weathering is entirely natural. Yes, some renumbering/renaming will take place to make them more appropriate for an English-based layout, and, no doubt, extra ballast will be added. 

You might well have seen the above on David's own Haymarket thread in the past. I think they're lovely.

Ah, so ‘Murphy’s Law’ applies to all train sets, all over the world after all Tony. Sounds like a terrific day was had and a fine collection of trains run.; probably with much more reliability than most of us can achieve. But it shows that LB is ‘human’ after all 👍😊

Andy R

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Davey said:

Tony,

If I may be so bold, I suspect that the GWR 4-4-0 is in fact an ex Midland & South West Junction locomotive and not an ex Stratford on Avon & Midland Junction locomotive.

Regards,

Davey

Thanks Davey,

The timing of this post means I've just woken up and realised my mistake. I went to bed thinking what I'd suggested didn't seem right, and you've confirmed it.

I'll now correct it............

Regards,

Tony. 

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

11 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

First up was this M&SWJR 4-4-0, bought second-hand by Sandra Orpen. It came from Hattons, and didn't run all that well. No doubt she'll re-gauge it to EM and change the drive. In fairness, it wasn't that expensive.

Next up.................

Hi Tony

Thank you for your kind comments on the locomotives Geoff purchased from me.

I do hope he is happy with them and so nice to see them running on a layout where they can stretch their legs I do hope they didn’t let me down to much trying to pull  your superb carriages.

I’m sure Geoff will read this as well, thank you Geoff for taking them to Tony’s Little Bytham.

Regards

David

Edited by landscapes
Spelling
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

7 minutes ago, landscapes said:

Hi Tony

Thank you for your kind comments on the locomotives Geoff purchased from me.

I do hope he is happy with them and so nice to see them running on a layout where they can stretch their legs.

I’m sure Geoff will read this as well, thank you Geoff for taking them to Tony’s Little Bytham.

Regards

David

Hi David,

I’m very happy with the locos, thank you. 
it was good to see them running on LB yesterday, we had a great day. 

Regards, 

Geoff. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Andy R said:

Ah, so ‘Murphy’s Law’ applies to all train sets, all over the world after all Tony. Sounds like a terrific day was had and a fine collection of trains run.; probably with much more reliability than most of us can achieve. But it shows that LB is ‘human’ after all 👍😊

Andy R

Good morning Andy,

Yesterday's running session didn't get off to the best of starts because the first train (a York-Kings Cross empty stock) was sent Up slow, rather than Up fast. My fault, of course, for not setting the correct points on the exit from the fiddle yard, and Sandra had pulled the Up fast signals to 'off'. After that, because of my not concentrating enough, the 'destruction' of several mineral wagons was the culmination!

But, so what? The monthly LB running sessions have expanded to include at least four visiting operators. If none enjoyed the experience, then none would keep coming back. And, that's the nub of it. Enjoyment! With Mo's hospitality always present, a prize-winning lemon drizzle cake made by Susan (one of Geoff's friends, who says she'll visit one day; she's the lady who once addressed a letter to me 'Tony Wright, The model railway bloke, Little Bytham', which made it through!), always something new to see and run and a huge collective sense of humour, then good fun and satisfaction are guaranteed. Indeed, George Stevenson (to whom I owe more than he realises, since my time in the grip of 'The Black Dog') is reassured when something goes wrong, that his own railway (which is all his own work) runs better than he believes. 

There really is a therapy in railway modelling, and if operating incompetence causes little delays (and often hoots of laughter!), then it really doesn't matter. I can live with my own incompetence (I have no alternative), but I couldn't live with a railway where poor running is the fault of the railway itself. 

In the intervening four weeks, I'll try and practise more!

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium

Extra practice won't help Tony.

We run Buckingham every week and we still get things wrong.

We don't strive for perfection in the operation of the layout. We just try to have fun and the odd cock up only gives us something to laugh about. The consequences of any mistakes are of no great significance, unlike any on the real railway.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning Andy,

Yesterday's running session didn't get off to the best of starts because the first train (a York-Kings Cross empty stock) was sent Up slow, rather than Up fast. My fault, of course, for not setting the correct points on the exit from the fiddle yard, and Sandra had pulled the Up fast signals to 'off'. After that, because of my not concentrating enough, the 'destruction' of several mineral wagons was the culmination!

But, so what? The monthly LB running sessions have expanded to include at least four visiting operators. If none enjoyed the experience, then none would keep coming back. And, that's the nub of it. Enjoyment! With Mo's hospitality always present, a prize-winning lemon drizzle cake made by Susan (one of Geoff's friends, who says she'll visit one day; she's the lady who once addressed a letter to me 'Tony Wright, The model railway bloke, Little Bytham', which made it through!), always something new to see and run and a huge collective sense of humour, then good fun and satisfaction are guaranteed. Indeed, George Stevenson (to whom I owe more than he realises, since my time in the grip of 'The Black Dog') is reassured when something goes wrong, that his own railway (which is all his own work) runs better than he believes. 

There really is a therapy in railway modelling, and if operating incompetence causes little delays (and often hoots of laughter!), then it really doesn't matter. I can live with my own incompetence (I have no alternative), but I couldn't live with a railway where poor running is the fault of the railway itself. 

In the intervening four weeks, I'll try and practise more!

Regards,

Tony. 

Tony;

Beautifully said Tony; the day I spent with you, Mo and LB was really enjoyable, informative and fun, just like the session you describe above.

I’ll never forget it. 
In the end, it’s a hobby to enjoy, whatever happens in the moment. Best to apply that old famous kiwi saying…she’ll be right mate’…!

From cold winter’s evening downunder….

Andy R

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, t-b-g said:

Extra practice won't help Tony.

We run Buckingham every week and we still get things wrong.

We don't strive for perfection in the operation of the layout. We just try to have fun and the odd cock up only gives us something to laugh about. The consequences of any mistakes are of no great significance, unlike any on the real railway.

I recently had the privilege of helping to operate a top-end train set (P4, locos with working inside motion, fully signalled using block bells etc). Operationally, a number of things went wrong during the day (all operator errors, but no derailments), but everyone had a great deal of fun, despite the 'seriousness' of the model itself.

• Like 8

Readers might recall my making of a hybrid O4/8 some little time ago.............

O4820.jpg.d523cde53a89e121234420dc399d9fcf.jpg

I'll have this model on my display stand at the show at Ruddington over the coming weekend.

An account of how I built this will appear in a video on BRM's World of Railways soon. 

• Like 8

On 25/06/2023 at 20:45, micklner said:

They were built about ten years ago. They are still on the original  Bachmann Bogies, they are very heavy compared to the original Bachmann Coaches . More than enough weight for my poor r.t.r A4's to pull !!

Yes the Restaurant Car lettering is a bit low , not helped by the very oversize HMRS decals. Fox have now produced the correct size decals, which I have just used on a GNR Isinglass Models  12 wheeler Restaurant Car , photos soon on my thread when finished. The Thompson may get a repaint at some time in the future using them as well.

The Coaches dont look dumpy to me,  they are Streamlined 1940's style. They are following on from the Silver Jubilee and Coronation LNER 1930's versions !!.

ex GNR 12 Wheel Isinglass Models LNER Restaurant Car now finshed . I have included a couple of comparsion photos of the LNER Restaurant Car  HMRS Decals and the much better sized Fox Transfers version as well. My Thompson Restaurant Car will get a set in due course.

IMG_6076.jpeg.6d8431865efdd023aab8b913b32c8995.jpeg

IMG_6068.jpeg.a08e45b9c505f0246c7854f768156b39.jpeg

HMRS

IMG_6050.jpeg.af6de24770ca55ed88219dfceab65d23.jpeg

Fox

IMG_6076.jpeg.473e580008302647b18bf837d4067f81.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, micklner said:

ex GNR 12 Wheel Isinglass Models LNER Restaurant Car now finshed . I have included a couple of comparsion photos of the LNER Restaurant Car  HMRS Decals and the much better sized Fox Transfers version as well. My Thompson Restaurant Car will get a set in due course.

IMG_6076.jpeg.6d8431865efdd023aab8b913b32c8995.jpeg

IMG_6068.jpeg.a08e45b9c505f0246c7854f768156b39.jpeg

HMRS

IMG_6050.jpeg.af6de24770ca55ed88219dfceab65d23.jpeg

Fox

IMG_6076.jpeg.473e580008302647b18bf837d4067f81.jpeg

Why on earth did the LNER letter their catering cars so low on the bodyside?

There looks to be plenty of room in the waist panel.

The lack of panelling on the Thompson car makes the lettering position look even more odd!

CJI.

• Agree 4

3 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Readers might recall my making of a hybrid O4/8 some little time ago.............

O4820.jpg.d523cde53a89e121234420dc399d9fcf.jpg

I'll have this model on my display stand at the show at Ruddington over the coming weekend.

An account of how I built this will appear in a video on BRM's World of Railways soon. 

I wish you well for the weekend, Tony, but I do wonder how many RMWebbers even know it is happening, as it appears no-one connected with the event has thought to post any reference to it in the “Exhibitions” section of our Website. 

• Agree 1