Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

11 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

It does amuse me how they think a nice sealed plastic bag adds value!

I don’t trade on a regular basis but when someone contacts the club with an estate sale, I see it as an opportunity to offer a benefit to club members. Anything left over, I flog on eBay.

Andy

Well, I suppose you could argue it prevents the item being damaged by being jumbled around in a tray full to overflowing of other random old stuff, which is the way a lot of this kind of thing are offered. It shouldn’t double the price though …

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning Tony,

The irony is I'll actually be applying some of the modelling techniques I employed 60 years ago, as a teenage modeller myself - inexperienced and 'poor'. Though I didn't take the moulded-on handrails off the Hornby 57XX (as I did with past Tri-ang locos of mine, bleeding profusely in the process), I will be showing how to cut lumps out of plastic.............

HornbyPOwagon03.jpg.022c3aa9cb3c37df4079ee2fa3f9373f.jpg

Using a razor saw.

Pullman08.jpg.c206c1039ad75251e7e1bed21a3c560b.jpg

Or much more-efficient tools than I had as a beginner.

Ridiculousbrakevan04.jpg.d629ba521062a648afec0751893b7e68.jpg

To take away a fair bit of unwanted plastic (there was a great big block of the stuff to accommodate the horrid tension-lock coupling below the buffer beam on this example).

Hornby57XX02.jpg.96f86deb4d22e291e33b7b69fdc43296.jpg

How to remove previous brandings.

Pullman02.jpg.a43a96d1d3e335fe95ceef77125e84fd.jpg

Using a variety of techniques.

Pullman04.jpg.bdbc6347c15c3ebfaffa72dd4bbfe455.jpg

How to conduct prototype research.

Hornby57XX06.jpg.dfa427ca2b4661352e4f67161ba30896.jpg

How to add detail, employing much more-sophisticated items than ever I had in my youth. 

Lima45XX03.jpg.15c990303a73fb7e8ec428b8d59770ae.jpg

How to add replacement parts and do small repairs.

Lima45XX04.jpg.d4ec83856b5ce13452b31ba8e8806b80.jpg

And, when no amount of finger pressure will work, how to shift grossly-overscale wheels. 

Do these example qualify as to how I 'don't do my modelling'? Actually, some of them illustrate how I still do.

Regards,

Tony. 

I would agree that these sorts of models are ideal for learning new techniques and developing the skills in using tools, either for carrying out basic tasks or for painting and weathering.

You are quite right, this sort of modelling was cutting edge in the 1970s.

I like to think that the modelling world, from kits to RTR, has moved on a bit since then but it is rather heart warming that you are trying to keep these old relics relevant in the modern world.

There are one or two RTR bodies (possibly "Playcraft") with new underframes on Buckingham but I wouldn't ever try to pass them off as scale models nowadays.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Willie Whizz said:

Well, I suppose you could argue it prevents the item being damaged by being jumbled around in a tray full to overflowing of other random old stuff, which is the way a lot of this kind of thing are offered. It shouldn’t double the price though …

Or any bits that break or fall off get to stay with the model.

• Agree 2

At an exhibition, more years ago than I can hope to remember, I was chatting to Steve Barnfield when a gentleman turned up. He wanted to know how to paint his rolling stock. Producing a note book this individual started taking down Steve's wisdom. After he had moved on I turned to Steve saying that in the past we all self taught on a Saturday morning buying an Airfix kit for 2 bob from Woolies and sticking it together that afternoon. Here we have it in a nutshell; knowledge vs and practical experience gained through trial and error. Whilst knowing how others tackle things may be helpful, it must be appreciated that they are inevitably working within their own capabilities and available tools and materials. Part of the joy of modelling in finding you own way.

• Like 2
  • Agree 11

5 minutes ago, Pebbles said:

At an exhibition, more years ago than I can hope to remember, I was chatting to Steve Barnfield when a gentleman turned up. He wanted to know how to paint his rolling stock. Producing a note book this individual started taking down Steve's wisdom. After he had moved on I turned to Steve saying that in the past we all self taught on a Saturday morning buying an Airfix kit for 2 bob from Woolies and sticking it together that afternoon. Here we have it in a nutshell; knowledge vs and practical experience gained through trial and error. Whilst knowing how others tackle things may be helpful, it must be appreciated that they are inevitably working within their own capabilities and available tools and materials. Part of the joy of modelling in finding you own way.

Then moving on to Ratio kits and the like.

Plenty of very good tutorials online now showing you how to build and paint those Airfix kits. This is an official Airfix one, but there are literally thousands of them on YouTube catering for all different skill levels.

Don't see many railway related ones though.

Jason

• Like 2

On 29/09/2023 at 01:38, Tony Wright said:

Thanks Mark,

There is a replacement set of brass 'plates with the P2s, but they have no relief to the lettering and are too thick. 

I eventually used 'proper' etched 'plates on mine.......

DetailedHornbyP202.jpg.be334d5730cf4f088ddc64a2c5e810ad.jpg

F

Did TMC paint the tender wheels black? As supplied, they're in green, but that's not the LNER's painting spec'.

Regards,

Tony. 

The wheels are still Hornby green, very hard to tell when on the track.  Ross is fairly strict re 1962 era on his railway, these anachronisms are largely my fault, I just like LNER rollingstock.  I need to find a Q6 and a couple of O4s next or something more appropriate to his coal trains.

image.png.152cf7bebf5e6da61166dd8a4c64565c.png

5 hours ago, Pebbles said:

Good afternoon,

I fit exactly into the category of buying an Airfix aeroplane kit for two bob, then making it immediately on getting home. Not making them very well, of course (though I knew of no contemporary who could fix the cockpit glazing on without it being 'fogged'). What I learned about 'model-making' was far more important than the end result, and there is great merit in being 'self-taught'.

However, I would have got nowhere in my later modelling without the personal help and advice from the likes of Brian van Meeteren, Roy Jackson, David Jenkinson and many others. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 8
  • Agree 3

All those 'cheap modelling projects are now completed; I finished off the two locos once the Fox plates arrived this morning - what fantastic service. I ordered them yesterday morning! 247's service was just as good; a pity I ordered the wrong numbers!

Hornby57XX09.jpg.896fad784524a291ce41ce24abc40909.jpg

For a total outlay of less than £25.00 and well within the budget/capabilities of any modeller; worth it? 

The more-adventurous might fit separate handrails and better wheels, and even brake gear to give a better model, but that's a further stage.

Lima45XX10.jpg.8e914ef0a83cbeb300c83f0f29b122a6.jpg

And, for less than £30.00, worth it as well? 

I don't have GWR transfers for the front buffer beam numbers. 

Edited by Tony Wright
typo error
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

All those 'cheap modelling projects are now completed; I finished off the two locos once the Fox plates arrived this morning - what fantastic service. I ordered them yesterday morning! 247's service was just as good; a pity I ordered the wrong numbers!

Hornby57XX09.jpg.896fad784524a291ce41ce24abc40909.jpg

For a total outlay of less than £25.00 and well within the budget/capabilities of any modeller; worth it? 

The more-adventurous might fit separate handrails and better wheels, and even brake gear to give a better model, but that's a further stage.

Lima45XX10.jpg.8e914ef0a83cbeb300c83f0f29b122a6.jpg

And, for less than £30.00, worth it as well? 

I don't have GWR transfers for the front buffer beam numbers. 

I shan't be touching "my" Hornby Pannier, because it was originally bought for my sister*....... but really timely to see your mods/repairs to the Lima Small Prairie, Tony. 

At aged 12-ish so about <ahem> years ago, I repainted my GWR one into gloss black and added some late BR emblems from an Airfix loco kit, all I had access to at the time.  The intention was to have it immaculate above the running plate as some sort of "shed favourite".  I got it out recently and am still pleased with my efforts; I've now got the Gibson wheels and axles ready to fit, plus the correct early BR emblems.  Also in amongst the spares box are a job lot of sprung buffers, just need to get a set of plates for the chosen example.  I'll post a picture on here when it's done (so at present rates of progress, in about another fifteen years).

Yes, it'll still be just a Lima Prairie, but it'll be MY Lima Prairie, the model I wanted as a young enthusiast and wanted to make something different from.  Most of my collection is from this era; models that are now one or two generations out of date, but while worthless to anyone else, are priceless to me.

P.S. You need to paint your chimney black.  Small Prairies didn't have copper caps; it's an error with the Lima model (of which there are, err, several).

*I repainted all her wagons though.  Keep that to yourselves, please.

Edited by Northmoor
missing words added
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 27/09/2023 at 20:40, Tony Wright said:

Alan (Pup Cam) and Brian (Poly Bear) paid one of their regular visits to Little Bytham today...........

Bringing with them.........

AnchorageK3.jpg.97aa1d8897dafc3b6c4f7c087ac25da8.jpg

This Anchorage K3 (which Alan is building). At the moment it's got P4 frames (including a working inside crank axle and con rod!), and it's perched on a slip to stop it leaning over on the OO track.

Because he's not got anywhere to run it, he's going to build a set of OO frames for it. 

Brian brought this.............

Connoisseurtubewagon.jpg.c4fcdee32e565f8ee8d6bb5da8f9ed2c.jpg

A Connoisseur tube wagon, on which he's spent some 50 hours, such is the intricacy of this scaled-down-from-7mm kit.

Gentlemen, thanks for a really splendid day, your hospitality at lunchtime and your most-generous contributions to CRUK. 

Here's to the next time............

The recent appearance out of nowhere of Bear's freshly created "soldering exercise" took me by surprise and I thought I might actually have to do something after far too many years of railway modelling inactivity.   

This K3 was started way back in the late 80's when David Crossley, myself and a couple of others started to build a P4 layout.      At the time I'd recently purchased a 4 jaw chuck for my Unimat 3 and I thought I'd have a crack at turning a crank axle just so that I could have a go at using the chuck   Once I'd made the axle it seemed only sensible (in reality, probably not very!) to make a connecting rod, cross-head, piston rod and middle cylinder for the K3.     Neither the K3 or the layout were ever finished but following a recent visit to Tony's  I thought perhaps an OO rebuild of the K3 would at least give it a chance of an occasional run as a visitor on LB hence a full set of Markits wheels and axles was  purchased in anticipation. 

So this evening I made a start and have stripped the P4 wheels off of the frames in readiness for the inevitable re-kitting activity that will precede the re-build.      This of course released the crank axle etc and I thought it might be of interest on here so here are a couple of photographs.  

Conrod1.jpg.b5aef28aaefcf18c6bbdc3dd2629f52e.jpgConrod2.jpg.3c9be28dd1c414eb5fd02b9987128bc7.jpg

Something that is puzzling me is that because the crank axle is a one piece turning from mild steel the connecting rod MUST have a split bearing cap.   However I can't see the join and all these years later I have no idea how I did it!   I presume it is soldered on to the conrod but as I say, I can't see the join 🤔        The  big question now is how to modify the axle for use with the Markits wheels which could be a whole new and exciting machining exercise!

By the way, I'll have you know that's real 30 year old rust on there, none of your weathering powder fakery.

Anyway, with a bit of luck you'll find this little bit of Tom Foolery amusing if nothing else.  

Alan

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 9
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, polybear said:

Bear finally finished the Connoisseur Models LNER 20T Pipe/Tube Wagon seen at Little Bytham recently; hopefully this'll get me off the hook with @t-b-g as I'm sure he muttered something about doing unspeakable things to Bear with a red hot soldering iron if I returned to Missenden Abbey with it still unfinished......

image.png.f852f9c9d7b2ba16cddb81c099724401.png

image.png.9433e3a2f01eba5a6a594d8c3df8770a.png

That'll do Bear, that'll do.

To be spoken in best northern "Babe the sheep pig" voice!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, polybear said:

finally finished the Connoisseur Models LNER 20T Pipe/Tube Wagon seen at Little Bytham recently

Sorry, mate, but I was upbraided for the same thing on mine when i thought I'd completed it; there is a brace from the inside bottom of the axleguard to the solebar at both ends.  It looks like a bit of plain etch, which was why I missed it.   You can see it on Jim's own model on the website.

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

9 hours ago, rowanj said:

Here are a couple of examples of my "toning down for dummies/ nervous painters", in this case using Humbol powders on the TMC G5. The basic model is excellent, but, in my view, too shiny. Toned down to represent a work-stained but reasonably well[kept loco (as those at South Blyth tended to be) produces, I think, a much more realtistic result, I need to renumber 67342 when I identify a suitable prototype which ran on the Blyth and Tyne in the 1950's, then it doo will be dusted.

For folk nervous about weathering expensive RTR, using powders seems a reasonable compromise. Better painters will do a much more appropriate job.

IMG_20231003_205207.jpg

IMG_20231003_205233.jpg

IMG_20231003_205259.jpg

Good morning John,

This technique is very-effective.

Thanks for showing us.

Regards,

Tony. 

5 hours ago, jwealleans said:

You can see it on Jim's own model on the website

Possibly some confusion here. That's a 20 ton tube wagon.  The 4mm scale model looks more like the rather shorter 12 ton pipe wagon to me - look at the shape of the V-hangers and their position relative to the axle guards - so no extra brace is correct.

D

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

19 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

I fit exactly into the category of buying an Airfix aeroplane kit for two bob, then making it immediately on getting home. Not making them very well, of course (though I knew of no contemporary who could fix the cockpit glazing on without it being 'fogged').

Ah well, at that time it was most useful to have  a parent working in aerospace, an industry possessed of all sorts of exotic adhesives used to assemble real flying machines.

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, Darryl Tooley said:

Possibly some confusion here. That's a 20 ton tube wagon.  The 4mm scale model looks more like the rather shorter 12 ton pipe wagon

Right as usual, I think, Darryl.   OP said '20T wagon' so I just accepted that without question.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

I fit exactly into the category of buying an Airfix aeroplane kit for two bob, then making it immediately on getting home. Not making them very well, of course (though I knew of no contemporary who could fix the cockpit glazing on without it being 'fogged'). What I learned about 'model-making' was far more important than the end result, and there is great merit in being 'self-taught'.

Same here! Although they were 25p by the time I cycled round the corner to the 'Handyman Stores' shop in the High Street. One day it'd be a Spitfire; next time it was a WWI tank; then it was a figure of Henry VIII (remember them?!) ... it didn't matter: I was making something! With newspaper spread over the kitchen table, for two hours or so, I was lost in my own world ...

I didn't read an on-line tutorial about how to make one (OK - such a thing would be printed in a magazine!), I just learnt by my own mistakes (including what happens if you spill glue all over your work part way through).

If I've had any influence on my modelling then I would highlight first of all my Dad(!) We're the 'Dad & lad' (model) railway enthusiasts and I duly imbibed his modelling as a youngster. A fellow modelling friend of Dad's was 'in' to scratchbuilding and I became fascinated by that - a sort of de facto mentor/mentee situation.

Otherwise, I found certain books and magazine articles inspiring, or at least containing the odd 'nugget', in terms of (say) materials used, techniques, etc ... but overall, for myself, I would say 90% taught myself; 10% learnt from other sources.

Or am I being too arrogant? Maybe I've subconsciously absorbed more than I'm giving credit for? I would certainly cite David Jenkinson as a  prime modelling muse.

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 13
  • Round of applause 1

This could become boring! however, for the benefit of young modellers the record should be put straight. Yes! the vast majority of Airfix kits of the 1950/60s were aircraft. I remember having to scape around when both the Saunders Roe SR53 and another aircraft kit simultaneously appeared.

However, Airfix also produced in 4mm a brake van, coal truck, cattle van and a HO scale continental van.  I think Airfix also produced the Drewry 04. and also several lineside kits including a footbridge and kiosk. Around the same period the Kit Master range appeared. Quite a choice at affordable prices.

As far as glue went it was a small paint brush and Carbon Tetrachloride - bet if you asked a Chemist for this today they would call the police! 

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Some of us never stopped making Airfix kits... here is one of the latest, the very new and impressive 1/48 Sea King. Next to it is a different kettle of fish, the Meng Mustang. I've built 1/48 Mustangs from all the main companies but this one is snap-together... although reputedly building into a nice model. Both kits show what can be done with modern design and tooling methods.

IMG_20231004_132944141_HDR.jpg.437dc13a804603fe982212bc54fb82a1.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

I'm currently building a 1/48 scale Bolton Paul Defiant. It's a very nice kit and I build aircraft kits when away on holiday. I've never stopped building model kits since the age of around 6. The first of course was an Airfix Spitfire. I've lost count of how many spits and lancs I've built over the years.

Regards Lez. 

• Like 7