Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

Hi All, 

Merry Christmas!

I was wondering what people thought about this little stash I had found when rooting through my collection. 

Now, I hadn't seen pinned track before and the Scaleway kit is one that I've had great fun building before albeit it was copper clad based rather than plastic.

These haven't been opened per se, the packaging is however slightly damaged. I had a peek inside a few and surprisingly the rails are pristine. Lovely!

Does anybody here have any memories of these products? Good or bad! They will have been boxed away from some part of my Grandads collection.

Being in my early twenties, I of course have no clue when they were made. But if it suits, I'll be sure to fit the scaleway kit somewhere suitable (perhaps a fiddleyard extension?) So that it can finally fill its purpose! 

Happy holidays 🎄

20231223_170943.jpg

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, WT85 said:

Hi All, 

Merry Christmas!

I was wondering what people thought about this little stash I had found when rooting through my collection. 

Now, I hadn't seen pinned track before and the Scaleway kit is one that I've had great fun building before albeit it was copper clad based rather than plastic.

These haven't been opened per se, the packaging is however slightly damaged. I had a peek inside a few and surprisingly the rails are pristine. Lovely!

Does anybody here have any memories of these products? Good or bad! They will have been boxed away from some part of my Grandads collection.

Being in my early twenties, I of course have no clue when they were made. But if it suits, I'll be sure to fit the scaleway kit somewhere suitable (perhaps a fiddleyard extension?) So that it can finally fill its purpose! 

Happy holidays 🎄

20231223_170943.jpg

Definitely pre 1971 going by the price of 9/3 and "4/7 per yard"!

Pure guesswork from the packaging would be mid 1960s.

Jason

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, WT85 said:

Hi All, 

Merry Christmas!

Happy holidays 🎄

20231223_170943.jpg

That takes me straight back to the late 1960’s when I was in my mid teens. Every Friday evening I would cycle over to my Godfather’s house in the village of Queen Charlton (a 7 mile cycle ride across Bristol) to visit his Great Western terminus to terminus layout.  Graham Dawes was a farm hand and Special Constable. When he discovered I was an aspiring railway modeller he sent me an Invitation to visit his layout.  It was he who gave me my Chuffer Davies nickname.

All the track on his layout was made from this Peco spiked track product laid on fibreboard to enable easy insertion of the spikes through the fibre sleeper bases.   The rail was flat bottomed as I recall.  The layout ran very well indeed and showed me how much better than standard set track, hand built track could be. 
Happy Days,

Frank

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Chuffer Davies said:

That takes me straight back to the late 1960’s when I was in my mid teens. Every Friday evening I would cycle over to my Godfather’s house in the village of Queen Charlton (a 7 mile cycle ride across Bristol) to visit his Great Western terminus to terminus layout.  Graham Dawes was a farm hand and Special Constable. When he discovered I was an aspiring railway modeller he sent me an Invitation to visit his layout.  It was he who gave me my Chuffer Davies nickname.

All the track on his layout was made from this Peco spiked track product laid on fibreboard to enable easy insertion of the spikes through the fibre sleeper bases.   The rail was flat bottomed as I recall.  The layout ran very well indeed and showed me how much better than standard set track, hand built track could be. 
Happy Days,

Frank

That's lovely to hear, thank you! 

Yes. The track is flat bottomed and 'fairly' thick, Code 100 esque? I'm sure it would promote smooth running even now. 

I wonder what I should do with it? I'll certainly make use of the Scaleway kit - but the Peco track... Would someone use it? 

I showed this bogie van some little time ago............

GWRbogieparcelsvannumber1801.jpg.2b1a3c33fa23c85e6db43e6b7dc363b3.jpg

It was built by the late Vic Halliwell and (oddly) it was in OO rather than his usual EM. 

I think it's scratch-built, running on Ratio bogies (though could it be a kit?). Whatever it is, does anyone know if it's a model of an actual prototype, please? 

Thanks in anticipation. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, WT85 said:

That's lovely to hear, thank you! 

Yes. The track is flat bottomed and 'fairly' thick, Code 100 esque? I'm sure it would promote smooth running even now. 

I wonder what I should do with it? I'll certainly make use of the Scaleway kit - but the Peco track... Would someone use it? 

I have seen the rail and spikes used to recreate American HO track using balsa wood sleepers. The fibre sleeper bases of the Peco system are fairly unique to British OO and unsuitable for using with e.g. the plastic chairs of the C&L system so probably of no real use to scale modellers. 
Frank

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

As I suspected, the GWR bogie van I showed earlier is a complete work of fiction.

My thanks to all who pointed that out.

At least the bogies might be of some use.

Fictitious it may be but it's still a delightful little model and characteristic of its time. Please don't break it up!

• Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Fictitious it may be but it's still a delightful little model and characteristic of its time. Please don't break it up!

A candidate for re-bogie-ing into OOn3; looks more like a 3' gauge prototype to me.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

9 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Good morning John,

It's the very last item from the collection of the late Vic Halliwell (his widow and son were overwhelmed by how much Mo and I managed to make selling his models). Strangely, considering the bulk of the models, it was built in OO, not EM (I've probably mentioned this before, but when dozens of Vic's EM wagons failed to sell, I re-gauged them to OO and fitted tension-lock couplings in place of the three-links; then they flew! Which rather says something of the state of our hobby to me, especially as I got more for them afterwards!). 

Since I'll certainly not break the 'imaginary' van up, when Jesse comes over again next year, I'll give it to him and then he can give it to you on his return (there's no charge). It's got to be 50 years old at least, and it's nice to think of it going to a good home. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning John,

It's the very last item from the collection of the late Vic Halliwell (his widow and son were overwhelmed by how much Mo and I managed to make selling his models). Strangely, considering the bulk of the models, it was built in OO, not EM (I've probably mentioned this before, but when dozens of Vic's EM wagons failed to sell, I re-gauged them to OO and fitted tension-lock couplings in place of the three-links; then they flew! Which rather says something of the state of our hobby to me, especially as I got more for them afterwards!). 

Since I'll certainly not break the 'imaginary' van up, when Jesse comes over again next year, I'll give it to him and then he can give it to you on his return (there's no charge). It's got to be 50 years old at least, and it's nice to think of it going to a good home. 

Regards,

Tony. 

I've always reckoned that 90%+ of "modellers" have only ever been interested in buying items, however well-made, that are compatible with out-of-the-box r-t-r. 

The only change I've noticed over the years, is that Sprat & Winkle and Kadee couplers are now used by enough of the "adventurous" remainder that their presence is no longer an absolute kiss of death to selling pre-owned models.

The smaller audience means they will take longer to shift, though, and most of us who do buy them are reluctant to pay more than for a "bog-standard" equivalent, despite the saving in cost and workload they offer.

I've picked up several wagons with Kadees and aftermarket scale wheels at swap-meets where the "bits" were worth the asking price. If I don't want the actual model, I substitute "normal" factory parts from wagons I've converted myself, and flog them on.

A free supply of couplings and wheels; what's not to like!  😇 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 3
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning John,

Regards,

Tony. 

Thanks Tony, that's very kind. The livery is out of period for me, of course, but I know of at least one GWR modeller over here who would be delighted to give it a good home.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Dunsignalling said:

I've always reckoned that 90%+ of "modellers" have only ever been interested in buying items, however well-made, that are compatible with out-of-the-box r-t-r. 

The only change I've noticed over the years, is that Sprat & Winkle and Kadee couplers are now used by enough of the "adventurous" remainder that their presence is no longer an absolute kiss of death to selling pre-owned models.

The smaller audience means they will take longer to shift, though, and most of us who do buy them are reluctant to pay more than for a "bog-standard" equivalent, despite the saving in cost and workload they offer.

I've picked up several wagons with Kadees and aftermarket scale wheels at swap-meets where the "bits" were worth the asking price. If I don't want the actual model, I substitute "normal" factory parts from wagons I've converted myself, and flog them on.

A free supply of couplings and wheels; what's not to like!  😇 

John

I have done similar and will never apologise for exploiting others' laziness to subsidise my own hobby!  As an example, about fifteen years ago I bought a job lot of about 40 Airfix, Mainline and nicely kit-built wagons, all with 3-link couplings and re-gauged to EM.  The seller even included the original OO wheels where he could find them, but I still bought the lot for about £2/wagon.  I swapped the wheels back and sold the EM wheels on eBay for about 25% of the value of the whole lot.  Selling on some of the wagons that I didn't "need" brought the price of the remainder down to not much more than £1.50 each. 

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, MJI said:

Buyers care more for the boxes.

I tend to recycle them for room reasons

Mine go into empty bigger boxes and up into the loft to provide additional insulation. The big boxes are numbered and I keep lists of their contents, just in case.

I've seldom moved things on up to now, but recently commenced a clear-out of the forgotten, the surplus, and the unused.

The boxes will provide useful protection as well as helping the resale prices. 

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 24/12/2023 at 14:13, Tony Wright said:

I've reached a point now where I'll do no more to the DJH S15 I've featured of late, leaving my friend to complete it.

DJHS1508.jpg.073f2832e5a006b69475b7a4de6bb377.jpg

Which he'll do when he visits in January. 

Hi Tony,

Is that the chimney that was supplied with the kit as, to my eye, and photos I have, it seems to be rather skinny and too tall.

See also Barry Ten's example posted earlier.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

Mine go into empty bigger boxes and up into the loft to provide additional insulation. The big boxes are numbered and I keep lists of their contents, just in case.

I've seldom moved things on up to now, but recently commenced a clear-out of the forgotten, the surplus, and the unused.

The boxes will provide useful protection as well as helping the resale prices. 

As far as i am concerned either a boy can have them, or it can be sold by rake in their really useful boxes.

• Like 1